g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

NCAA College Football 2017/2018

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
AP preseason rankings.

1. Alabama
2. Ohio State
3. Florida State
4. USC
5. Clemson
6. Penn State
7. Oklahoma
8. Washington
9. Wisconsin
10. Oklahoma State
11. Michigan
12. Auburn
13. LSU
14. Stanford
15. Georgia
16. Louisville
17. Florida
18. Miami (Fla.)
19. South Florida
20. Kansas State
21. Virginia Tech
22. West Virginia
23. Texas
24. Washington State
25. Tennessee

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
Swinney will usurp Saban soon as the best coach in the game. Unfortunately though he is likely to relace him at Alabama down the line.

I expect better from ND and Brian Kelly this season and hope that Tennessee can finally win the SEC East

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Still have my money on Oklahoma but I think it will be a good matchup.

I'm mainly annoyed that USC are that high.
The benefits of having the future #1 overall pick at QB.

Some really good out of conference games in a year where it feels like there's not a clear pecking order after Bama. They play Florida St I think(?), OU vs The OSU, some others that I can't be bothered to look up.

I don't know if we have the horsepower on the lines to compete with Ohio State but it will be interesting and a conference strength reference point for the rest of the year.

Carolina Red

Staff
Shameless plug for a kid I used to coach who is on the Panthers roster now (and to show off Clemson's bling :drool:)...

Kearnkoff69

Started grad school at OSU this year, so hoping for a rocking season from the program (to be fair, as long as I've been alive they've been very good). Especially excited for the Oklahoma game, Mayfield should be in the conversation for the Heisman again but it'll be fascinating to see how losing Stoops affects the overall program at OU.

adexkola

Supports
The benefits of having the future #1 overall pick at QB.

Some really good out of conference games in a year where it feels like there's not a clear pecking order after Bama. They play Florida St I think(?), OU vs The OSU, some others that I can't be bothered to look up.

I don't know if we have the horsepower on the lines to compete with Ohio State but it will be interesting and a conference strength reference point for the rest of the year.
I'm worried about our passing game this year. We spluttered in several games (including against Penn State) because of our inability to do anything once the defense dared us to throw the ball.

FéNaSeleção

Not sure if anyone is as much as a college football nerd as me and watched Iowa-Wyoming, but before you hear BS from anyone else, future 1st round pick QB Josh Allen wasn't bad at all. His arm strength and poise were all on exhibit. He's magnificent in the pocket and so crisp on play-action. His receivers dropped more balls than I can count, including a beauty that would have been a 40+ yard bomb to the endzone. Lastly, the Wyoming offense was disgustingly vanilla and they barely let Allen let it rip deep. 7 yard outs all game.Terrible to watch that playcalling. He was completely fine - everyone throws picks, even the greats. He had to push the ball at the end as they were down by 3 scores, that lead to turnovers. CFB fans will be hearing a lot about Josh Allen this year and I wanted to post something before the dopey media or some dork wad blogger does a hit piece on him.

adexkola

Supports
Not sure if anyone is as much as a college football nerd as me and watched Iowa-Wyoming, but before you hear BS from anyone else, future 1st round pick QB Josh Allen wasn't bad at all. His arm strength and poise were all on exhibit. He's magnificent in the pocket and so crisp on play-action. His receivers dropped more balls than I can count, including a beauty that would have been a 40+ yard bomb to the endzone. Lastly, the Wyoming offense was disgustingly vanilla and they barely let Allen let it rip deep. 7 yard outs all game.Terrible to watch that playcalling. He was completely fine - everyone throws picks, even the greats. He had to push the ball at the end as they were down by 3 scores, that lead to turnovers. CFB fans will be hearing a lot about Josh Allen this year and I wanted to post something before the dopey media or some dork wad blogger does a hit piece on him.
What conference is Wyoming (it's not a P5), and will that ultimately impact Allen's draft standing? I know Carson Wentz also went to a non-P5 and he starts for the Eagles.

FéNaSeleção

What conference is Wyoming (it's not a P5), and will that ultimately impact Allen's draft standing? I know Carson Wentz also went to a non-P5 and he starts for the Eagles.
Wyoming plays in the Mountain West. To be honest, they play some entertaining football games if you can catch them late as they are a few hours behind the Eastern time zone.

These are the QBs taken in the past 3 drafts from non-P5 schools. Asterisk denotes a Mointain West player.

2015: Bortles, Bridgewater, Carr*, Garappolo, Fales*, Wenning, Gilbert
2016: Wentz, Greyson*, Driskel, Doughty
2017: None

Allen has been universally praised by scouts and football aficionados - he's got the intangibles as well as the talent. Great arm, above-average accuracy, very good feel for the pocket. He's got the body, too. If he wasn't half as talented as people say then I doubt the media would be spending time talking about a guy playing in a less-popular conference. Judging on what I see and the scouts say, he'll be a first rounder. Things can always change but he's got a lot working for him. At this time I don't think the conference will harm him - various MW QBs have been drafted. NFL teams will look at everyone individually in a conference like this - it's understandable that some of their teammates may not be as talented nor comparable to talent in the NFL therefore why belittle them for things they cannot control.

Last edited:

FéNaSeleção

Am I the only person watching this Bruins comeback?
I turned that off in the second quarter and put on the other game. Couldn't believe they made that comeback - they were absolutely terrible at the start. Rosen was neutralized. The HB for A&M almost had 200 yards in the first half!

Anyway, I had the under @ 55.5 for the VT-WVU game and with about two minutes left and the game at 31-24 Virginia Tech, the Hokies missed a chip shot field goal. Game ended at 55 total points. :drool: Great weekend of college football.

Neutral

BTV
Am I the only person watching this Bruins comeback?
No, I watched it.

The TD that swung momentum the way of the Bruins was one of the worst deep balls anyone will throw this season.

The cornerback waited for the ball to come to him, let the ball go through his hands and drop into the hands of the receiver who was 3 yards behind him!

Receiver 'catches' the ball and strolls into the end zone :lol:

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
I've tried to watching NCAA this season - it's boring me to sleep. I may need to start the gambling thing again to get me interested, haven't done the online gambling in a good decade plus.

That was a great comeback by UCLA granted I didn't watch last night, only seen the highlights this morning.

My FB is filled with a few A&M fans/grads and they are slaying Sumlin today. Meanwhile, Herman's coaching career at Texas got off to a bad start. Same ol' shit defensive performances. I have no idea how he's expected to fix that sieve.

Carolina Red

Staff
7-7 right now between GT and Tennessee. Good game so far.

Paul Johnson catches alot of grief for his offense, but I played in the Flexbone. It is fun as hell to run.

FéNaSeleção

7-7 right now between GT and Tennessee. Good game so far.

Paul Johnson catches alot of grief for his offense, but I played in the Flexbone. It is fun as hell to run.
It's certainly a throwback to an offense that went extinct decades ago, but to me it's entertaining because it's something we rarely see. And it makes the game go quicker because they keep pounding it. Really smash mouth stuff.

Carolina Red

Staff
It's certainly a throwback to an offense that went extinct decades ago, but to me it's entertaining because it's something we rarely see. And it makes the game go quicker because they keep pounding it. Really smash mouth stuff.
It's still alive and well at smaller colleges and at the high school level.

Alot of teams are adapting the Pistol and Spread offenses to run option based systems with Flexbone style wings instead of slot receivers.

I can attest that the Flex/Pistol and Flex/Gun hybrids are hell on wheels to game plan to stop.

FéNaSeleção

It's still alive and well at smaller colleges and at the high school level.

Alot of teams are adapting the Pistol and Spread offenses to run option based systems with Flexbone style wings instead of slot receivers.

I can attest that the Flex/Pistol and Flex/Gun hybrids are hell on wheels to game plan to stop.
I remember seeing it a lot back in high school, unfortunately very few guys were talented/decisive enough to run it well. Just became a mishmosh of blockers. But I certainly agree it is fun to watch and difficult to match up against if your squad doesn't have the guys able to thread the lineman and find the ball carrier.

Carolina Red

Staff
I remember seeing it a lot back in high school, unfortunately very few guys were talented/decisive enough to run it well. Just became a mishmosh of blockers. But I certainly agree it is fun to watch and difficult to match up against if your squad doesn't have the guys able to thread the lineman and find the ball carrier.
We were kinda good at it :D Having a 6ft 225lb Fullback and 4 guys who rotated at the wings that could run 4.5 second 40's helped. Our line was small, but we were mean as hell.

Back on topic: Georgia Tech is actually a really good place for Johnson to be with that offense. South Georgia high schools are famous for their use of wing offenses.