NCAA College Football 2017/2018

FéNaSeleção

South Georgia high schools are famous for their use of wing offenses.
Learn something new everyday. I spent a lot of time watching high school football in central Ohio and all I saw was Power I (maybe a receiver got the chance to go out wide every now and then) and fierce o-lineman. Less than 10 passing plays per game, but when they happened someone always got laid out because the defensive backs were waiting all game to pop someone :devil:

Carolina Red

Staff
Learn something new everyday. I spent a lot of time watching high school football in central Ohio and all I saw was Power I (maybe a receiver got the chance to go out wide every now and then) and fierce o-lineman. Less than 10 passing plays per game, but when they happened someone always got laid out because the defensive backs were waiting all game to pop someone :devil:
Oh yeah, Georgia high schools can run the fool outta that offense.

South Carolina is seeing a good number of high schools adopt the hybrid approach. As a defensive coach I hate it :lol:... gives me a lot of lost hours of sleep.

Carolina Red

Staff
So what's the trick to stopping it? If there is... Linebackers that are quick laterally to shut off the edge? Or disruptive line play to clog the gaps?
We've had success with getting guys into the backfield off the edge on teams that rely heavily on wingback runs - cross key the wings, and blitz off the edge according to the motion that they give you.

Teams that heavily rely on their Fullback is when really active DL play can help, also cutting the offensive line (using their own tricks against them) to disrupt the pulling game of the guards.

The reason why hybrid teams are so hard to stop is that the spread influences of their offenses make it really difficult to bring outside pressure because they can hit you hard in the flat with a run/pass option.

FéNaSeleção

We've had success with getting guys into the backfield off the edge on teams that rely heavily on wingback runs - cross key the wings, and blitz off the edge according to the motion that they give you.

Teams that heavily rely on their Fullback is when really active DL play can help, also cutting the offensive line (using their own tricks against them) to disrupt the pulling game of the guards.

The reason why hybrid teams are so hard to stop is that the spread influences of their offenses make it really difficult to bring outside pressure because they can hit you hard in the flat with a run/pass option.
Excellent, that was really interesting stuff, thank you.
Just researched GT's offensive line to see why they are so dominant: Shamire Devine is 6'7, 380! I think any team will take that!

Carolina Red

Staff
Excellent, that was really interesting stuff, thank you.
Just researched GT's offensive line to see why they are so dominant: Shamire Devine is 6'7, 380! I think any team will take that!
It's fun stuff :D

Yeah, that's the kinda player he never had the luxury of recruiting at Georgia Southern and Navy.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Games cancelled due to Irma:

• USF and UConn have cancelled their game on Saturday, which was initially pushed forward to 10:30 a.m.

• Florida vs. Northern Colorado, which was scheduled to take place at 12:00 in Gainesville, has been cancelled. The game will not be rescheduled.

• The Miami game against Arkansas State has been cancelled. Both teams do not have an open date so the game can not be rescheduled this season. Miami will not practice until after the storm passes through. The next game for the Hurricanes will be against Florida State in Tallahassee on Sept. 16.

• Florida State vs. Louisiana-Monroe, which was scheduled to kick-off in Tallahassee on Saturday at noon ET, has been cancelled. The two teams do not share a bye week and there are no plans to reschedule.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Outgained tOSU over 2-1 with only 3-3, a limping Baker (high ankle?), and our starting TE out to show for it.

Feck.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Ffs.

Well deserved by Oklahoma so far. Main challenge will be winning the division against Penn State/Michigan, and title vs Wisconsin, to challenge for the Playoff, but this potential loss is a black eye to those chances.

USC are the real deal.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Ffs.

Well deserved by Oklahoma so far. Main challenge will be winning the division against Penn State/Michigan, and title vs Wisconsin, to challenge for the Playoff, but this potential loss is a black eye to those chances.

USC are the real deal.
Sorry, but that was one of the most satisfying 2nd halfs I've watched in a while. To have what seemed like half our upperclassmen starters dropping like flies and pull it back after the way tOSU started the 2nd half was just so, so good.

Kearnkoff69

Barrett is horrible. OSU has a lot of young talent on both sides of the ball, being wasted by Barrett's frightened QB play. The Buckeyes will go only as far as their quarterback situation allows them this year, can'd understand what a coach as good as Urban Meyer sees in him to keep the faith after so many mediocre performances.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Also, Michigan are getting a surprisingly hard game against Air Force. Not a good sign for them.

Carolina Red

Staff
Also, Michigan are getting a surprisingly hard game against Air Force. Not a good sign for them.
To me, neither Michigan or Ohio State are as good as folks try to big them up to be this year.

I'm hoping it's Wisconsin's year to show them up. Ive always liked their style of football.

@adexkola - we can't get no respect even when we win it all :lol:

Raoul

Admin
Staff
To me, neither Michigan or Ohio State are as good as folks try to big them up to be this year.

I'm hoping it's Wisconsin's year to show them up. Ive always liked their style of football.

@adexkola - we can't get no respect even when we win it all :lol:
I think Oklahoma are going to be very good this year. They have a relatively straightforward schedule and may wind up running the table this year.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
I think Oklahoma are going to be very good this year. They have a relatively straightforward schedule and may wind up running the table this year.
Our secondary is very good, which is Mike Stoops' specialty and allows him to be more aggressive on D. Might lose Wilson to concussions though.

I was worried about working with this group of WRs, but every year we manage to produce one or two dangerous ones. You saw that coming to fruition vs tOSU. We've been forever stocked on RBs since AD's freshman phenom year, which has lead to Riley creating this 'power spread' offense which I love.

Most had Oke State winning the conference though...

Carolina Red

Staff
I agree. Plus, they lost Big Game Bob and his jinx.

I at the very least expect Oklahoma to be in the Final 4.

Carolina Red

Staff
Carolina's offense is done now that Debo broke his leg.

Clemson handled business tonight and (hopefully) derailed any chance of a Lamar repeat at the Heisman ceremony.

Another good win for the Tigers

Carolina Red

Staff
Oklahoma and Penn State both in close away games atm!

Almost had a perfect college football Saturday earlier with Clemson finally remembering how to play in the 4th quarter, Florida State losing at home, and a Carolina home loss to La Tech... but Carolina had to go and ruin it for me