NCAA College Football 2018/2019

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
He's the best of the bunch.

What the base stats don't show is that he didn't start the first few games of the season, then was frequently either subbed out of games throughout the season once the Tigers had secured the win, or handed the ball off for most of the 2nd half for the same reason.
What about Hurts? Will he stay a backup to Tua next season?

mav_9me

Pretty decent then but not like exceptionally better apart from TD INT.

How do you rate him though compared to others?
I havent seen him at all till last night but my uncle who is a Celmson alum and fanatic, was saying he is ridiculous, says he never fells pressured and is never fazed and of course has a cannon of an arm.

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
I havent seen him at all till last night but my uncle who is a Celmson alum and fanatic, was saying he is ridiculous, says he never fells pressured and is never fazed and of course has a cannon of an arm.
Yeah seems to have a great rep. Just interesting to know what people think. Some of the articles on networks suggest he’s the best they’ve ever seen ... which is obviously lofty praise but wondered if it was justified.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
I thought it was going to be #tankfortua but maybe people might be more desperate for #loseforlawrence.
Depends on the team that needs a QB around that timeframe. It'll be classic Belichick to end up with Lawrence if Brady decides enough is enough.

I'd like the Giants to wait one year to get Tua. However that is one less year of making the new QB work with Barkley and O'Dell. I'm sure other teams will be doing similar calculus.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
Trevor’s season stats...

2933 yards, 27 TD, 4 INT, 65.3 CMP% | 157 rush yards, 54 attempts, 1 TD

Compared to other notable true freshman seasons...

Jalen Hurts, Alabama: 2,780 yards, 23 TDs, 9 INTs, 62.8 CMP% | 954 rush yards, 13 TDs

Jake Fromm, Georgia: 2,615 yards, 24 TDs, 7 INTs, 62.2 CMP% | 79 rush yards, 3 TDs

Terrelle Pryor, Ohio State: 1,311 yards, 12 TDs, 4 INTs, 60.6 CMP% | 631 rush yards, 6 TDs

Josh Rosen, UCLA: 3,668 yards, 23 TDs, 11 INTs, 60 CMP% | 15 rush yards, 2 TDs

Chad Henne, Michigan: 2,743 yards, 25 TDs, 12 INTs, 60.2 CMP% | -137 rush yards, 2 TDs

Dan Marino, Pittsburgh: 1,680 yards, 10 TDs, 9 INTs, 58.6 CMP% | -85 rush yards, 1 TD

Jamelle Holieway, Oklahoma: 517 yards, 5 TDs, 2 INTs, 41.4 CMP% | 862 rush yards, 9 TDs
Not sure if the stat has changed since but I can recall up through at least the 90s the NCAA counted sack yards against a QB's rushing total.

MrMarcello

They didn't have 'finals' back then, but yes Jamelle was very notable for winning the title as a true freshman QB.

So impressive, in fact, he kept the starting job over Troy Aikman even though Switzer had promised to build the offense around Troy. This led to him transferring away, though in a strange twist of fate they still won a championship together...in the NFL.
Little more on that OU/Aikman bit. Aikman injured his leg and Hollieway took over that title winning season, and the following year Aikman transferred after a discussion with Switzer on them retaining the wishbone, and Switzer actually helped him choose a school* to best utilize his potential. Hollieway never took the job away from via competition. They ran a more pro-style offense in 1985 until Aikman's injury and reverted to a wishbone under Hollieway to maximize his talents.

*Jimmy tried to get him to Miami a second time but failed. He's on record saying he wasn't going to fail a third time, i.e. the 1989 draft.

MrMarcello

I will never understand how so many people are in to college sports in America, it's just baffling.

I played football (AFL) for the second largest University in all of the state of Victoria, and we'd have been lucky to get 20 people to turn up to our matches.
I find it very regional and quite tribal. It's weird though as college sports are only big in pockets of the US, and in certain pockets it's football, while in other it's basketball, hockey, lacrosse, etc.

Carolina Red

Staff
Not sure if the stat has changed since but I can recall up through at least the 90s the NCAA counted sack yards against a QB's rushing total.
The NCAA rule still hasn't changed, it counts against individual rushing. It's the NFL that assesses sack yardage differently.

Charlie Foley

Damn right it's tribal. Do you know how many SEC fans I've been able to laugh at? Today has been one of the most enjoyable days of my life. Ranks right behind the day after Deshaun won it.
So you’ll mock conferences as well as the individual schools? I didn’t realise there were conference rivalries

Florida Man

Cartoon expert and crap superhero
So you’ll mock conferences as well as the individual schools? I didn’t realise there were conference rivalries
Not quite conference rivalries. It's just that the fans of SEC teams have this superiority complex in college football, which make them unbearable.

Carolina Red

Staff
What @Florida Man said.

Fans of SEC schools mock other conferences... even if their school isn’t one of the ones that’s even good (I’m looking at you, University of South Carolina fans)... so whenever you get a chance to rub it in their faces, you take it.

Basically fans of teams in every other conference in the nation feel this way about the SEC schools.

Florida Man

This. And LSU fans are the worst outta the lot.
Having spent some time in the panhandle of Florida, where there is a wide variety of SEC fans, I'm gonna have to go with Alabama and Florida fans as being the worst since their historic success has bred a major superiority complex. And this is from someone who has a soft spot for Florida.

Carolina Red

Staff
Having spent some time in the panhandle of Florida, where there is a wide variety of SEC fans, I'm gonna have to go with Alabama and Florida fans as being the worst since their historic success has bred a major superiority complex. And this is from someone who has a soft spot for Florida.
UGA fans seem to have been humbled by Clemson's recent success (they are geographically our closest SEC rival). They've always had this superiority thing over Clemson and there's alot of their fans in the Upstate of South Carolina. It's always good to see their little bulldog tails tucked another year.

Florida Man

UGA fans seem to have been humbled by Clemson's recent success (they are geographically our closest SEC rival). They've always had this superiority thing over Clemson and there's alot of their fans in the Upstate of South Carolina. It's always good to see their little bulldog tails tucked another year.
Yeah those lot act a fool too. I remember back for the UGA v Hawai’i Sugar Bowl one of them tried punching a Hawai’i guy on Bourbon street, missed him, and hit me, and a brawl started. Good times.

MrMarcello

Yeah those lot act a fool too. I remember back for the UGA v Hawai’i Sugar Bowl one of them tried punching a Hawai’i guy on Bourbon street, missed him, and hit me, and a brawl started. Good times.
To be fair, that could apply to just about any college fanatic. I've heard some crazy shit from those that dare attend an away game at LSU.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
ffs

Great catch by Oklahoma (who probably sold him on starting)
OU are apparently blocking Austin Kendall from playing immediately and Rattler can't be too excited about the fact that Hurts was brought in after he signed papers.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Jalen Hurts going to Oklahoma.

@Organic Potatoes is he going to start?
Yes. Austin Kendall had already entered the transfer portal, as if he knew this was in the works. Jalen’s a stopgap to the Spencer Rattler era, the next BMOC.

He’ll be playing behind a new OL, but has the luxury of having 3 of the top 4 WR recruits in the country to target.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
OU are apparently blocking Austin Kendall from playing immediately and Rattler can't be too excited about the fact that Hurts was brought in after he signed papers.
Rattler wasn’t expected to start as he wasn’t able to enroll in January. There will be plenty of other new faces expected on the field early though. It will be a very young team.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
More importantly Kola...how do you feel about losing Martell ? The kid has a legit Mayfield swag about him.
Came out of nowhere. I wouldn't too worried if we were starting the season with Meyer. Now... we got Fields but I didn't see too much of him at Georgia.

I'll reserve my full thoughts until the fall :)

buck3y3nut

Supports
Liverpool
What fecking hardship did he suffer at UGA???
Apparently he was called the N word by a fellow UGA baseball player. That player was since suspended from the team.

If he gets the hardship waiver, he's a starter for us going into the next season. Day will develop him well. If he doesn't, well then we start with Mathew Baldwin :)

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Came out of nowhere. I wouldn't too worried if we were starting the season with Meyer. Now... we got Fields but I didn't see too much of him at Georgia.

I'll reserve my full thoughts until the fall :)
Fields was the #1 dual threat QB a year ago. The rise of Jake Frohm at UGA has disrupted the careers of at least two five star QBs now (Eason and Fields). Should be a great fit in Columbus

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I thought Martell went to FSU, not Miami :lol:

Good coup by you guys.
Martell is featured in the Netflix QB1 series, along with Frohm and another QB. Pretty good watch about how each of them evolved from HS to College, especially with Frohm leading his team to within a hair of a championship last year.