Neil Webb

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
I hope this is the right place for this request - I'm looking for a clip of Neil Webb scoring at Loftus Road for us in the old First Division (pre Premier League of course).

I was there that night (right behind the goal) and I'm pretty sure it was April 1990. We were in (very slight) danger of being relegated until we won this game - it didn't absolutely make us safe but started off a run that left others at the bottom behind - and to me was the start of us coming from behind in important games that was to be our hallmark for the whole decade (and beyond). I recall David Seaman being in goal for QPR...

Thanks

pastyfool

I hope this is the right place for this request - I'm looking for a clip of Neil Webb scoring at Loftus Road for us in the old First Division (pre Premier League of course).

I was there that night (right behind the goal) and I'm pretty sure it was April 1990. We were in (very slight) danger of being relegated until we won this game - it didn't absolutely make us safe but started off a run that left others at the bottom behind - and to me was the start of us coming from behind in important games that was to be our hallmark for the whole decade (and beyond). I recall David Seaman being in goal for QPR...

Thanks
Sadly can't help with the clip but I was at that game too. Could only get a ticket in the Loft so had to go undercover. Haha.

My first ever game was at QPR, back when they had the plastic pitch.

Memory lane...

Reactions: Rood

thegregster

Harbinger of new information

Thanks

Highlights @39.09.

Then continues on in this clip.

Falcow

31 years ago wow. My main memory of Webb is that great pass to Lee Martin for the winner in the replay against palace in 1990 cup final. Probably my only memory of him in fairness.

lysglimt

Scout
I had such high hopes for Webb - and he started with that goal against Arsenal - and 2 weeks later he was out for 6 months never to return to the same player he was before

pastyfool

Thanks or posting the videos.

Actually just thinking about it, my first game at OT was a 4-0 win against Coventry City where Webb scored a goal.
Maybe I was his lucky charm back then.

4–0
Bruce 13', Webb 20', McClair 27', Hughes 81'

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Sadly can't help with the clip but I was at that game too. Could only get a ticket in the Loft so had to go undercover. Haha.

My first ever game was at QPR, back when they had the plastic pitch.

Memory lane...
I can go one better - I played on that plastic pitch!

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
I had such high hopes for Webb - and he started with that goal against Arsenal - and 2 weeks later he was out for 6 months never to return to the same player he was before
I think he could have been a world-class midfielder if he hadn't got injured. I was in the stretford end for that first game of the season against arsenal

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Thank you every one who found those clips... I'd forgotten the "season reviews" on video! I bought one at the end of every season for.... I don't know how long. Probably until DVDs arrived! Time does do weird things to the memory - I remember Neil Webb's goal being much better than that!

I'd also forgotten how young Mark Robbins looked - talk about Ole being the baby-faced assassin...

lysglimt

Scout
I think he could have been a world-class midfielder if he hadn't got injured. I was in the stretford end for that first game of the season against arsenal
Agreed - he was right up there with the best central midfielders in the country. He basically scored 1 goal every 3 games without freekicks and penalties during his 7 seasons at Pompey and Forest.

Tarrou

when he came back from injury he was the slowest player I'd ever seen

other than that I don't remember much about him

stubie

Webb had a decent season for us in 1991/92, that goal against Coventry was sweet where he lobbed the keeper. Didn’t look the same the following season before he went back to Forest.

He always delivered. At least that was the case after he finished with football, he became a postman.

real shame about his injury. Never the same again.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia

From 3:20
Great memories. Was at the game after the QPR match. Villa at home. Mark Robins looked a special talent, the second finish was world class and the diving header was superb. The Charlton game final league game of the season was a good experience too. A really friendly atmosphere between both sets of fans.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
As for Webb he turned out to be a bit of a prick in the end, remember we were losing a game and he was subbed off a took forever to walk off. The stretford end was going mental. Then his wife came out with stories in the paper after he left.

pastyfool

I can go one better - I played on that plastic pitch!
No way! What's the story?

I remember they had to throw buckets of sand down at halftime.

My sister 'played' on it too. QPR would sometimes take kids from the local schools to train with the players. She was randomly picked and got coached by Gary Bannister. A lot of the girls in my school were in love with him so she felt like she had won the lottery.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
No way! What's the story?

I remember they had to throw buckets of sand down at halftime.

My sister 'played' on it too. QPR would sometimes take kids from the local schools to train with the players. She was randomly picked and got coached by Gary Bannister. A lot of the girls in my school were in love with him so she felt like she had won the lottery.
Played for a very very lower league team and we got drawn in the first prelim qualifier of the FA Cup (the one played in about August!) against a team which somehow got a deal to play at Loftus Road - I think their home ground was being renovated or there'd been a fire. Not sure I'm remembering it right but one of their team was a cousin of someone who worked for QPR. Anyway, they were about five leagues higher than us so we didn't get to the next round!

It wasn't fun being a goalkeeper on that surface - first it was bloody hard and second the bounce was totally unpredictable... at least that's my excuse for us being four down at half time!

Salfordlad70

As for Webb he turned out to be a bit of a prick in the end, remember we were losing a game and he was subbed off a took forever to walk off. The stretford end was going mental. Then his wife came out with stories in the paper after he left.
Forest at home and he was infuriating. It was the run in when Leeds pipped us in 92. Horrible day and the Stretford end was unforgiving. Talented player, but very lazy.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
He ended up as a postman didn't he, and kept applying for loads of manager jobs.

Seems unthinkable that a player could sign for United for a decent fee and end up in a "normal" job these days doesn't it.

Stig

My first United game was v QPR as well; we won 8-1.

Anyone else on here at that one ?

Thiagoal

My mate is Neil Webb’s nephew and I can confirm he is a total prick. One hell of a player before his injury though!

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
Thank you every one who found those clips... I'd forgotten the "season reviews" on video! I bought one at the end of every season for.... I don't know how long. Probably until DVDs arrived!
I’ve continued to collect them each season, that is until the club decided not to release last seasons.

Stig

Yes, I was there. 1969 match, when United scored four goals in the last five minutes.
I don't remember 4 goals being in the last 5 minutes, but I do think I remember John Aston scoring from a mile out from his wing - but it has been a few years so the mind could be playing tricks.

I would like to go back and watch it all again.

lysglimt

Scout
Was that the opening day of the season? Seem to remember we'd bought a couple of players (one being Webb) and we looked pretty good.
It was indeed - I think it was the game where Michael Knighton was presented as the future owner of United (which failed). We had sold Whiteside and McGrath and replaced them with Webb and Phelan. But the squad was paper-thin when the season started - and as I recall we only had Donaghy, Bruce, Duxbury, Anderson, Gibson, Blackmore and Martin in defence. And Anderson and Duxbury was well past it and Gibson was always injured

A few weeks later we signed Pallister and Ince on the same day - and a week or so after that we signed Danny Wallace.

That season we struggled so bad in central midfield we had to move McClair back to fill a role - and he did it so well, it became his position later. Robson missed half the season, Ince was injured quite a bit, Webb missed almost the entire season so only Phelan played more than 30 matches in central midfield.

JohnnyKills

Thanks or posting the videos.

Actually just thinking about it, my first game at OT was a 4-0 win against Coventry City where Webb scored a goal.
Maybe I was his lucky charm back then.

4–0
Bruce 13', Webb 20', McClair 27', Hughes 81'
I was at that game too.

Pudding Of Part

Random little story about Neil Webb. My first ever game at Old Trafford was a 2-0 win against Coventry at the start of the 90/91 season. He scored in that and became my favourite player.

I was 7 at the time. My sister had a birthday party coming up and I was told I could invite one friend along to it. I told my mum and dad that I wanted to invite Neil Webb. So I wrote a letter to him and after a game my dad gave it to the doorman who stood where the players came out of the stadium and asked him to pass it on.

Unfortunately he didn’t turn up to the party. But he did send a nice hand written letter back saying he couldn’t make it because they had family visiting from Reading that weekend. He also sent me a signed photo.

Football was different in the early 90s.

Reactions: Rood

JohnnyKills

Random little story about Neil Webb. My first ever game at Old Trafford was a 2-0 win against Coventry at the start of the 90/91 season. He scored in that and became my favourite player.

I was 7 at the time. My sister had a birthday party coming up and I was told I could invite one friend along to it. I told my mum and dad that I wanted to invite Neil Webb. So I wrote a letter to him and after a game my dad gave it to the doorman who stood where the players came out of the stadium and asked him to pass it on.

Unfortunately he didn’t turn up to the party. But he did send a nice hand written letter back saying he couldn’t make it because they had family visiting from Reading that weekend. He also sent me a signed photo.

Football was different in the early 90s.
My first ever game too!

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
It was indeed - I think it was the game where Michael Knighton was presented as the future owner of United (which failed). We had sold Whiteside and McGrath and replaced them with Webb and Phelan. But the squad was paper-thin when the season started - and as I recall we only had Donaghy, Bruce, Duxbury, Anderson, Gibson, Blackmore and Martin in defence. And Anderson and Duxbury was well past it and Gibson was always injured

A few weeks later we signed Pallister and Ince on the same day - and a week or so after that we signed Danny Wallace.

That season we struggled so bad in central midfield we had to move McClair back to fill a role - and he did it so well, it became his position later. Robson missed half the season, Ince was injured quite a bit, Webb missed almost the entire season so only Phelan played more than 30 matches in central midfield.
I liked that season :)

Still remember the commentator shouting "Robinsss?... YES!" in the Oldham cup replay. It sounded like half question (will it go in?) and half relief (is this finally going to separate these two?). Webb was back for it too.

The semis (and final) in 1990 were absolutely phenomenal. Outside a WC, probably the best day of football I've ever seen. F A Cup semis, neutral grounds (as it should be), sunshine, packed with fans (none of your VIP shite) and 13 goals!

That team had a decent midfield (injuries apart) and showed the next season (when all fit). Hughes gets the glory (and his second goal probably deserves it) but I think Robson, Ince and Phelan all had a good game v Barca.

JohnnyKills

I liked that season :)

Still remember the commentator shouting "Robinsss?... YES!" in the Oldham cup replay. It sounded like half question (will it go in?) and half relief (is this finally going to separate these two?). Webb was back for it too.

The semis (and final) in 1990 were absolutely phenomenal. Outside a WC, probably the best day of football I've ever seen. F A Cup semis, neutral grounds (as it should be), sunshine, packed with fans (none of your VIP shite) and 13 goals!

That team had a decent midfield (injuries apart) and showed the next season (when all fit). Hughes gets the glory (and his second goal probably deserves it) but I think Robson, Ince and Phelan all had a good game v Barca.
Yes it's my favourite but of United commentary. When the Fergie era really began I think.

The Oldham semi was the first United game I ever watched and I was hooked. Remember the bakers in Flixton where my mum's from creating special cake decorations with 'good luck United' for the final. Felt like it was our team and it belonged to our community.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
Yes it's my favourite but of United commentary. When the Fergie era really began I think.

The Oldham semi was the first United game I ever watched and I was hooked. Remember the bakers in Flixton where my mum's from creating special cake decorations with 'good luck United' for the final. Felt like it was our team and it belonged to our community.
Yeah, it was definitely the start of something, we kicked on.

For my 40+ years, there's a clear split between pre 93 where FA Cups where pretty much everything (odd LC and ECWC 91 too) and 93 onwards (leagues galore and European Cups).

I've loved the success (who wouldn't?) but I'm so glad I had the other side too.

dcrompton

The 3-3 Oldham semi is first United game I remember watching. Back to Neil Webb, my memories were just of him always being injured. I much preferred Ince and Robson in midfield

Last edited:

choccy77

I couldn't stand Webb, never a United player, had zero personality and always injured.