Nelson Semedo

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
Age is not a problem when a player take good care of themselves. It's not video game. Zlatan and Giggs were always at good level when they were 35 and 40.
Athleticism is so important for a FB and we have already seen Valencia decline almost overnight at another position.

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
Jorge Mendes’ presence in Barcelona has raised a lot of questions, but of course the Portuguese media believe it’s to do with one of their biggest stories. And, of course, Manchester United are dragged in along the way.

O Jogo treats the agent’s meeting as if was only to talk about Nelson Semedo, as even though Mendes is not officially his representative, he’s authorised to negotiate on Benfica’s behalf.

Club president Luis Filipe Vieira first had the intention to sell Semedo for €50m, then changed it to €40m, but now neither Manchester United or Barcelona want to pay more than €35m.

The Catalan club, however, still have Hector Bellerin from Arsenal as Plan A, so things aren’t happening so quickly with them.

It’s not the same with Manchester United, as O Jogo claims the English club have already taken the decision to advance. An official offer, however, hasn’t been reported so far.

A few of the claims are coming from the Catalan press, and O Jogo doesn’t really want to make it clear the real sources of each piece of information.

Semedo’s departure is treated as perfectly normal for Benfica. The club plan to make more money and have already signed two young right-backs, so there’s backup if things keep moving.
http://sportwitness.co.uk/manchester-united-decided-advance-sign-23-year-old-edge-past-barcelona/

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I think Jose may see Semedo as a winger/RB hybrid who can be applied in either position as needed and eventually take over from Valencia.

R77

I think Jose may see Semedo as a winger/RB hybrid who can be applied in either position as needed and eventually take over from Valencia.
I'm clinging to the same idea, as I'd really like to see him at the club. Many moan at the thought of 'defensive wingers' and the like, and on paper two fullbacks should be even worse. With how good this lad is going forward though, not only could it work, but it'd be worth it in the long term.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
I hope we don't have to compete with Barca for his signature, I think there will be only one winner there. Even if we can offer higher wages I can't help but feel his head would be turned at the prospect of challenging for the CL every year with Barca.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
I hope we don't have to compete with Barca for his signature, I think there will be only one winner there. Even if we can offer higher wages I can't help but feel his head would be turned at the prospect of challenging for the CL every year with Barca.
Bellerin is their first choice. Easier to turn his head than Semedo.

whatwha

Sniffs Erricksson’s diarrhea
Why would Mendes be a negotiator for Benfica? Isn't he busy with all sorts of players?

AltiUn

Bellerin is their first choice. Easier to turn his head than Semedo.
Bellerin may take up too much of their transfer budget when they also want to sign Veratti, Arsenal hold all of the cards in that one.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
Bellerin may take up too much of their transfer budget when they also want to sign Veratti, Arsenal hold all of the cards in that one.
That Verratti deal is basically dead in the water. CMs they will find a replacement. Fullbacks are harder. I think in this case Bellerin is more of a signing for them than Verratti. Arsenal are much easier to negotiate with than PSG.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Decided to watch a complimentary youtube video - and the first piece of skill blew me away; when he makes a run, keeps the ball in play, makes a Zidane's roulette and an inch-perfect cross after that. I wouldn't expect any of our attacking players bar maybe Martial to be able to do that :lol:

AltiUn

That Verratti deal is basically dead in the water. CMs they will find a replacement. Fullbacks are harder. I think in this case Bellerin is more of a signing for them than Verratti. Arsenal are much easier to negotiate with than PSG.
I hope you're right. I'd love to get Semedo, let's hope it works out in our favour, he looks a real quality player.

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
All for us signing this guy, we've seen it demonstrated by RM how important and effective some marauding WB's are in the modern game.

Would love to see us attacking full pelt with WB's again like back in the day. Valencia gets up and down the flank a lot, but the final ball and attacking contribution just isn't there, besides he'll be 32 right after the season starts.

bobglory

Saying a player who played so little was one of our best players is an odd statement. He started well, but so did depay, if depay had been injured instead of shaw we'd be saying the same about him. It means nothing really.

If hes never the same again as you sadly aren't (although i would imagine he had infinitely better treatment and physio than you did), then again he should be sold. Its harsh but thats a risk of playing i guess.

I personally think he should be kept as a back up to see if he can prove himself, but the injury can't be used as a reason for his poor performances at this stage. If it genuinely is still an issue for him, then hes either mentally or physically not strong enough for top level football. While that would be a shame, it means he would need to go.
i don't think its an odd statement mate , i was replying to someone who said hes not good enough for manchester united and after 3 years he has shown nothing to prove otherwise and was pointing out that before his injury he was flying .

he obviously has the talent but like you said it maybe more to do with his mentality .

ilovethisgameahahah

Young was that guy last season until he got injured. And they're both very attacking full-backs, we also need a different player as backup.
Young is about as useful as a paper condom, he offers nothing in the final third and very little in our own third. Semedo is Evra like going forwards and has a peach of a cross, something none of our team has.

Smashin

Supports
Sporting CP
Because there's no reason to drop Cédric, he's always been a solid player for the NT and defends better than Semedo.

FC Ronaldo

Posts stuff that's been said before in tweet form
Ah 'the preparing to make an offer' stage. We know it so well!

Camy89

Love Island obsessive
Decided to watch a complimentary youtube video - and the first piece of skill blew me away; when he makes a run, keeps the ball in play, makes a Zidane's roulette and an inch-perfect cross after that. I wouldn't expect any of our attacking players bar maybe Martial to be able to do that :lol:
Think I watched the same video as you, the one with latin-like trumpety music? That first clip though, I just laughed at loud at its ridiculousness.

Georgan

Who's better/can get better, Semedo or Karsdrop from Feyenoord? Can't help but think that the Dutch is a better fit.

FCBarca

Mes que un Rag
Supports
Peace
Not if Barcelona's board continue the protracted pursuit of Bellerin. Me, I would take Semedo over Bellerin

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Why would Mendes be a negotiator for Benfica? Isn't he busy with all sorts of players?
If I'm not mistaken, he only has two personal clients, Mourinho and Ronaldo. The rest are managed by his company, Gestifute, but by other agents.

SLBenfica1904

Supports
SLBenfica
Benfica fans love him and he his the player that nobody wants to let go. He got into the team 2 seasons ago, when Maxi Pereira left to Porto and everybody was saying our right side would be sh**. He started in a very good level, mainly in the attack, having several defensive flaws.
Then he got called to the National Team, got injured and the season was ruined for him. He played very bad after the injury and ended the season in a very poor form.
This season he regained his confidence and was amazing. In the attack he was for sure a top 10 RB in the world(in my opionion). In the defense, he became better but still commits some errors.
Usually he rectifies his erros with an unreal speed. I think that he will become better cause he is very talented and sometimes he had to carry the right side of the pitch all by himself cause Salvio(the right winger) didn't helped much in the defense and always loses the ball in dangerous areas.
If I had to recognize his biggest flaw, it would be his overconfidence. Sometimes he dribbles too much in dangerous places.
He is a decent crosser, but it can only get better. Actually, he often prefers to pay long passes or passes in the "start" of the box than cross the ball.
About not being a strater in the national team, the reason is simply that Cedric Soares have been playing very well and the coach doesn't want to remove him from the strating eleven. It's a matter of time to reach the strating spot. Actually the RB spot is assured for the next years, having Nelsinho, Cédric, Cancelo, Ricardo Pereira and Diogo Dalot(Porto B kid that hopefully will explode next season).

Reactions: KM

SomeRandomPerson

If I'm not mistaken, he only has two personal clients, Mourinho and Ronaldo. The rest are managed by his company, Gestifute, but by other agents.
Is he not also managing Nuno (the former Valencia manager)? Nuno was Mendes' first ever client, I think.

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Benfica fans love him and he his the player that nobody wants to let go. He got into the team 2 seasons ago, when Maxi Pereira left to Porto and everybody was saying our right side would be sh**. He started in a very good level, mainly in the attack, having several defensive flaws.
Then he got called to the National Team, got injured and the season was ruined for him. He played very bad after the injury and ended the season in a very poor form.
This season he regained his confidence and was amazing. In the attack he was for sure a top 10 RB in the world(in my opionion). In the defense, he became better but still commits some errors.
Usually he rectifies his erros with an unreal speed. I think that he will become better cause he is very talented and sometimes he had to carry the right side of the pitch all by himself cause Salvio(the right winger) didn't helped much in the defense and always loses the ball in dangerous areas.
If I had to recognize his biggest flaw, it would be his overconfidence. Sometimes he dribbles too much in dangerous places.
He is a decent crosser, but it can only get better. Actually, he often prefers to pay long passes or passes in the "start" of the box than cross the ball.
About not being a strater in the national team, the reason is simply that Cedric Soares have been playing very well and the coach doesn't want to remove him from the strating eleven. It's a matter of time to reach the strating spot. Actually the RB spot is assured for the next years, having Nelsinho, Cédric, Cancelo, Ricardo Pereira and Diogo Dalot(Porto B kid that hopefully will explode next season).
That's a fair assessment. I agree with this.