Net Spend

Josep Dowling

I agree with this. There are some obvious spots where would could improve tho for relatively little outlay example would be left back

Even if we discount right wing where we would probably have to shell out some major cash for a top class winger
But we don’t even have a RW, that’s precisely the problem. There were loads of options at the beginning of the summer but once again we chase a lost cause for too long in Bale, then all the ‘good’ options were already gone.

What was wrong with Mahrez, Lemar, Fekir, Gelson Martins (free transfer), Felipe Anderson, Lucas in January.

izec

It is a slap in the face for everyone who thought we would improve this season or challenge for the big titles.

Ekeke

I think theres clearly some kind of breakdown with the manager and Woodward. If we werent happy with whats going on with our CB targets which were indeed way overpriced in most cases, then thats no reason why we couldnt have looked at players in other positions. In a summer where CB fees could have cost us up to £75 million for Toby if Levy got what he wanted, which would have made him the 12th highest transfer in history - bizarre.

Well guess what suddenly looks like value in this market? Attacking players. How about a right winger. You know that deadzone we have that doesnt produce anything and the players who we pick there only tend to create or shoot when they come off the wing and into central areas.

So we might not have been able to get a CB. Move on. There are other areas of the team we could have strengthened to give us a better chance this season. But no, we bought a backup fullback - one for the future and a starting CM.

Cassady

Supports Liverpool, Not Accrington Stanley
Supports
Accrington Stanley.
Net spend trophy in the bag if we manage that. Klopp and the scousers will be crying into their shoplifted coco-pops come September the 1st if that happens
Your mind is open. Using a stereotype of a city to try make yourself look funny on a public forum. Well done la.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Forget it guys, the world net spend trophy is Spurs now. It's a record that only we could break.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Net spend doesn't take into account players that left because of contract. You don't get money for them but you do get a chunk of your wage bill free.

Players that have left United "for free" in recent years would make up a champion-level first 11.

As for this window, obviously much hasn't been done. We lost Carrick, gained Fred, Dalot and Pereira from loan. It's not much but not many teams have done much business. I think something is very wrong with the market.

Jerch

You have to look different way to understand it. Prices inflation was ridiculous in last few seasons and most top teams including our decided that we shouldn't go with that. And I understand that. It is time for the clubs to look what they already have, try to improve with the players at their disposal and with youth players in their academy.

TheFlagStaysDown

Supports
Shamrock rovers
I disagree that spend is the only measure of ambition. We're fine.

I just hope we do some selling before close of August.

Fred, Dalot, Sanchez 2.0, Lindelöf 2.0 and promoted youth should improve us a bit. City can't improve on 100 points.
+Andy Pereira;) Bailly2.0 Rashford 2.0 and Pogba 3.0 and Lingard 3.0 and Ashley DanyAlves Young that's a lot of excitement even without signings. We should have fixed us a RW though. The problem is if Mourinho wanted Perisic and Willian who were not for sale or in toher words for soemthing ridiculous like 100m or Bale for once quoted 200m who wanted to stay and not for sale, then we can't do nothing about it. Mourinho can only play with certain wingers

AllezLesDiables

I don’t think anybody knows exactly what has happened. I can only guess negotiations with clubs has been difficult, and that prices quotes for certain players have been ridiculous.

Another guess is the board sending a message to Jose to get on with his job and that they feel they’ve backed him enough already and that he should be getting more out of his current squad...which I wouldn’t completely disagree with!

Actually it’s fairly obvious what has happened.

There is no detailed plan that addresses succession at each position, fundamental philosophy of football, or goals of the club.

Ed is a pitchman not a football Einstein.

Having a plan and a DoF who wields power and can bring in the necessary talent to manage the various pitfalls of getting United to where it wants to be and knowing how to navigate the transfer landscape.

The issues that are occurring now aren’t due to a list that Jose made up in April and then failing to execute that list. The issues stem from a complete lack of long term planning.

The transfer market cost have risen to a point where success is dictated by acquisition without paying massive premium. Most established players transfer costs have massive premiums built in because there isn’t the same urgency to sell as everyone has money now and few clubs if any can afford world class players.

United should take advantage of its financial muscle and adopt the Chelsea approach of acquiring youngsters for resale purposes.

Eddy_JukeZ

Amazing that we didn't buy 2 starting full backs(the jury is out if Dalot can be a reliable starter this season).

Revan

Assumptionman
Forget it guys, the world net spend trophy is Spurs now. It's a record that only we could break.
Sorry to break it for you matey, but Real Madrid had a negative net spent. Spurs just don't win trophies, one of the few certain things in football.

Stubble

Some of the smaller teams have spent big -Fulham over £100m - and have brought in some potentially pretty tasty players between them. Seri, Dendoncker etc etc the list goes on. Meanwhile we've gone for an 'economy' window this time. All this talk of dropping less points against the also rans this year - i wouldn't be so sure.

Dumbat12

Sorry to break it for you matey, but Real Madrid had a negative net spent. Spurs just don't win trophies, one of the few certain things in football.
Real Madrid also play in a far less competitive league. Send Spurs there with Pochettino and they can probably snatch a trophy or two.

JK-27

I find it bizarre that many fans claim City and Chelsea have bought their titles, yet at the same time complain when we don't spend money. Being a rich club does not mean you should buy any player at any cost. We're rich because we do sensible business.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
I disagree that spend is the only measure of ambition. We're fine.

I just hope we do some selling before close of August.

Fred, Dalot, Sanchez 2.0, Lindelöf 2.0 and promoted youth should improve us a bit. City can't improve on 100 points.
Andreas Pereira has came back from 2 season long loans and is looking good also.

AlwaysRed66

Looking at net spend it seems Newcastle had the worst transfer dealings, followed by Watford.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
Not improving the side is like throwing the towel in before the fight has even started, serious what is the point in this upcoming season now?
We have improved the side. Not needing players to settle in and gel is a positive factor. Fred will add to midfield so we don’t get over run and rely too much on Matic. We also have Pereira looking good and effectively being a new signing really. Sanchez is looking tip top and we will see a different player to what we saw last season.

There are positives and we won’t be anywhere near as bad as people are predicting.

Marcky411

Why sign players that don't improve us for the sake of it ? Why further bloat our wage bill with overpaid average players ?
Fully agree, that is why we have such trouble getting rid of our deadwood as their wage bill puts other clubs off buying them or taking them off our hands for free.

Marcky411

Totally indefensible window,the announcing of new sponsorship deals has been a pr disaster and further proves how out of touch the board actually are.Busby would be rolling in his grave!
Well I also expect he would be rolling his eyes if he saw the list of has been 30+ players we were connected to and not to forget Mina, really?

Marcky411

Quite frankly, I'm glad that we weren't taken for mugs by Spurs & Leicester.

We should've got a LB & RW though.
Fully agree, we should've got a new LB but I don't get the fascination of the RW and why we desperately need a RWer. That I blame on Jose, you want to tell me out of the following players, Martial, Rashford, Linguard, Sanchez, Young and even Lukaku we can't create/convert one of them into a top class RW? Otherwise if he can't do that instead of using Mata, I would give Perreira or youth a chance in Chong, who knows both could really surprise us.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Fully agree, we should've got a new LB but I don't get the fascination of the RW and why we desperately need a RWer. That I blame on Jose, you want to tell me out of the following players, Martial, Rashford, Linguard, Sanchez, Young and even Lukaku we can't create/convert one of them into a top class RW? Otherwise if he can't do that instead of using Mata, I would give Perreira or youth a chance in Chong, who knows both could really surprise us.
I think Rashford should be able to play on the right wing, out of all those players. The rest play better elsewhere.
The problem is that Valencia quite frankly isn't good enough when it comes to attack, so whoever plays on the right will need to provide width and be an effective attacking solution, I'm not convinced that any of the players you listed can do that.

Sure, we could give Chong a chance but what are our objectives this season? A title challenge, do well in CL? If we opt for Chong as first choice, then we'll definitely need to lower expectations, sure he could surprise us, but chances are that he won't be the 10 assist & 5-8 goal winger we need.

InfiniteBoredom

Look at all the top teams in Europe, besides Juventus with the Ronaldo deal and Liverpool (and not even that much, Keita was previously agreed), there just isn't much activity.

Inflated prices from the mental previous summer, the WC, and in our case, the utter idiocy of the PL smashing themselves in the balls with the earlier closure of the window means this one was always going to be a tough one. Not to say I wouldn't have liked one or two more signings at LB/RB/RW but it's hardly the end of the world. The imperative is to get our current bunch to play a passable brand of football, first and foremost.

We got 81 pts playing shit on a stick football for most of last season, downtoolling the last few games also. Improved performance should see us in the high 80s-low 90s range and it's more than good enough to be in the mix. If City continues to get 100 pts then there was no signing we could've made in the summer that could close the gap, unless it's the Messi/Neymar/Mbappe kind.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
I agree with this policy( if news about it are true ). We will pay 100+ mil for true world star in best years like varane but overpaying for short term fix players like willian or toby or players who will only add depth like maguire, is not an option. Paying 150mil for toby and willian would be stupid. They would be great for this squad, huge huge upgrade but they are 30y old. Paying 60-70 mil for 30y old player is stupid.
On the other hand, not buying sandro was huge mistake. 27 years old, one of the best left backs in the world. He is worth 60-70 mil.

AgentP

Look at all the top teams in Europe, besides Juventus with the Ronaldo deal and Liverpool (and not even that much, Keita was previously agreed), there just isn't much activity.

Inflated prices from the mental previous summer, the WC, and in our case, the utter idiocy of the PL smashing themselves in the balls with the earlier closure of the window means this one was always going to be a tough one. Not to say I wouldn't have liked one or two more signings at LB/RB/RW but it's hardly the end of the world. The imperative is to get our current bunch to play a passable brand of football, first and foremost.

We got 81 pts playing shit on a stick football for most of last season, downtoolling the last few games also. Improved performance should see us in the high 80s-low 90s range and it's more than good enough to be in the mix. If City continues to get 100 pts then there was no signing we could've made in the summer that could close the gap, unless it's the Messi/Neymar/Mbappe kind.
This is what I thought too. We have good players. It's up to the manager to get them to play attacking entertaining football. Apart from RW, all our other targets were defensive. We have also got a good midfielder in Fred who could make the midfield 3 really work. So there is no excuse for not improving in the attacking department this year.

VanGaalyTime

I agree with this policy( if news about it are true ). We will pay 100+ mil for true world star in best years like varane but overpaying for short term fix players like willian or toby or players who will only add depth like maguire, is not an option. Paying 150mil for toby and willian would be stupid. They would be great for this squad, huge huge upgrade but they are 30y old. Paying 60-70 mil for 30y old player is stupid.
On the other hand, not buying sandro was huge mistake. 27 years old, one of the best left backs in the world. He is worth 60-70 mil.
Was paying 55 for 29 year old Kyle Walker stupid? City pay what clubs want and won the league by 19 points. We must do similar.

Smores

Why sign players that don't improve us for the sake of it ? Why further bloat our wage bill with overpaid average players ?
I've seen quite a few say this as if anyone is arguing we should just spend for the sake of it. Talk about a ridiculous strawman.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Was paying 55 for 29 year old Kyle Walker stupid? City pay what clubs want and won the league by 19 points. We must do similar.
Yes, i really can't decide here. Too many pros and cons. Maybe they should buy him one player and put veto on other. I don't know ffs, my head will explode here.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Willian would've improved us. We have no RW of his ability in our team.
Sandro would have instantly improved our LB situation.
And Toby would've been our best CB had he moved here.

Do you see average players being mentioned above?

sunama

Baghdad Bob
It's not for the sake of it.

We entered the window needing a right winger and 2 fullbacks. We got none. We didn't strengthen the team at all and only add one main player. Terrible window.
My thoughts exactly.

Murray3007

there has been plenty players who moved during the transfer window that would have improved our team, and by the looks of it we were never interested in any of them, we were clearly not interested in Mcguire till after his WC performances, which we have seen with past signings is not the way to do business, Willian would have brought more balance to our side but the numbers to bring him here did not add up, surely no one expected us to pay 70m for a hard working winger ? or 75m for a CB who next summer will be avaible for 25m ? and surely the full backs position should have been the priority since we have 2 wingers playing there every week.

Dumbat12

Real's net spent in the last 5 seasons is minus 1 million. It is more important how you spend the money, rather than how much money you spend. On the last 5 years, only City spent more than us and yet we are awful
Real are also playing in a non-competitive league in which their CL place is never in question. And Real can also buy the best young Spanish talents for pennies. There's a big difference here. Compare our situation to the rest of the PL clubs, not Real Madrid or Bayern Munich, or Juventus because there's simply no point.

Razvan

And City had a net spend of 25m, which is precisely why looking at total wages is a much better measure of a club's spending or financial strength.

Revan

Assumptionman
Real are also playing in a non-competitive league in which their CL place is never in question. And Real can also buy the best young Spanish talents for pennies. There's a big difference here. Compare our situation to the rest of the PL clubs, not Real Madrid or Bayern Munich, or Juventus because there's simply no point.
Same league which leads by far on UEFA coefficients and from which a team that finished in mid table bitch slapped us in UCL. Same league that in the last 20 or so KO ties between them and EPL, La Liga sides won more than 90% of them?

Dumbat12

Same league which leads by far on UEFA coefficients and from which a team that finished in mid table bitch slapped us in UCL. Same league that in the last 20 or so KO ties between them and EPL, La Liga sides won more than 90% of them?
If all the wealth of the PL was concentrated in United and Liverpool's hands, you'd see us dominating the CL even more than Barca and Real. The nature of the CL is the fact that any team can beat any other team. For example, in the last CL, Tottenham finished above Real in the group phase. Does that somehow mean that Tottenham is better than Real? Atletico also got knocked out from the group stages by Roma and Chelsea. The 3 CL titles that Real went and had in the past years, I can honestly say they did not deserve them. They were not the best in any way shape or form, but they won it. Because all you need in the CL is one good day, and that's it.

There's also the fact that La Liga sides are more comfortable concentrating on the CL because, as I said, their CL place is never threatened. While PL clubs have to grind their way to top 4 because they can't rely to win a knockout competition in order to get it.

Also, please show me a statistic of La Liga beating PL sides 90% of the time.

Revan

Assumptionman
If all the wealth of the PL was concentrated in United and Liverpool's hands, you'd see us dominating the CL even more than Barca and Real. The nature of the CL is the fact that any team can beat any other team. For example, in the last CL, Tottenham finished above Real in the group phase. Does that somehow mean that Tottenham is better than Real? Atletico also got knocked out from the group stages by Roma and Chelsea. The 3 CL titles that Real went and had in the past years, I can honestly say they did not deserve them. They were not the best in any way shape or form, but they won it. Because all you need in the CL is one good day, and that's it.

There's also the fact that La Liga sides are more comfortable concentrating on the CL because, as I said, their CL place is never threatened. While PL clubs have to grind their way to top 4 because they can't rely to win a knockout competition in order to get it.

Also, please show me a statistic of La Liga beating PL sides 90% of the time.
Group stage means feck all.

If it is that easy to win UCL explain to me how we have won it only 3 times in our history.

Why City were crap in UCL despite being good in the league?

I believe that before Leicester eliminated Sevilla, it was 19-1 for La Liga sides in the last KO ties in UCL and Europa combined. Since then, I think it was only Sevilla defeating us, and Madrid defeating Liverpool, so it should be 18-2. Will try to find a link about it.

Edit: checked last 15 in UCL, it is 12-3 for LA Liga providing I did make a mistake. In Europa, it should be worse. Don't remember any EPL win bar United vs Celta.

Last edited:

VanGaalyTime

Walker had just turned 27 when they bought him.
Fair enough, but the overall point still stands. City are paying what it takes and buying players in their late 20s to win now. We're constantly considering how we can make money on our players.

Dumbat12

Group stage means feck all.
Oh, when a Spanish team gets knocked out in the group stage, when they actually have multiple matches to play rather than 2... then it means feck all. Okay.

If it is that easy to win UCL explain to me how we have won it only 3 times in our history.
It's not easy to win it, I specifically addressed that in my post. I said it's more down to luck than anything else. And I also said that the Spanish teams, specifically Barca and Real can concentrate more on the CL than we can because their CL place is never in jeopardy.

Why City were crap in UCL despite being good in the league?
Why did Liverpool got o the final when they could barely make it to top four in the league? How did Chelsea win the CL when they finished sixth in the league?

Crashoutcassius

Willian would've improved us. We have no RW of his ability in our team.
Sandro would have instantly improved our LB situation.
And Toby would've been our best CB had he moved here.

Do you see average players being mentioned above?
And if the price for willian is 80m we should pay it regardless ?