Net Spend

Trizy

And if the club's ask for 80 or 90m for them ? Just pay it ? What about next summer when a player is 110m ? Just pay it ?
Apart from Willian I think those players were priced accordingly to the current market. Wouldn't it be better to pay 20% more for players and improve loads then have none at all? Keeping money in the bank just not to spend it again next year because of the inflated fees.

From a fans point of view anyway. Not my money.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
And if the club's ask for 80 or 90m for them ? Just pay it ? What about next summer when a player is 110m ? Just pay it ?
There is a failing somewhere along the line.... it's either in the targets identified by our scouting departments/Jose (I mean, you can't tell me that there aren't attainable players out there that would improve us and we won't have to pay over the odds for) or in Woodward for not being able to negotiate deals for said attainable players (if he was provided with them), or in the board for just not wanting to put the cash up.

cyberman

Loads of clubs miss out on targets. Liverpool didn’t get Fekir. City got gazumped for Jorginho. You need to roll with it and sort out alternatives.
I get your point but they didn't even sign alternatives for those targets?

PvsNP

Why? Would he have paid 75m for Toby?
A DOF would see a lot more signings stretched out like this
I doubt it, but a competent DoF would've found proper alternatives early on in the window.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Loads of clubs miss out on targets. Liverpool didn’t get Fekir. City got gazumped for Jorginho. You need to roll with it and sort out alternatives. Or plan for the season without them (which is what Liverpool/City seem to be doing)
Isn't Shaqiri Liverpool's alternative to Fekir?

But yeah, I agree.... I find it hard to believe that there aren't players out there in the world of football that we could actually negotiate a good deal for and that would improve us.... so either our scouting department is fecked, Jose is only identifying silly targets, or its Woodward/the board not wanting to spend.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Isn't Shaqiri Liverpool's alternative to Fekir?

But yeah, I agree.... I find it hard to believe that there aren't players out there in the world of football that we could actually negotiate a good deal for and that would improve us.... so either our scouting department is fecked, Jose is only identifying silly targets, or its Woodward/the board not wanting to spend.

Been banging on about this a bit since I found out but since Fergie retired we’ve signed 20 players and City/Chelsea have signed 43 each! All the stuff about Moyes being horrified by our (lack of) scouting network seems to have been confirmed.

JoaquinJoaquin

It's not for the sake of it.

We entered the window needing a right winger and 2 fullbacks. We got none. We didn't strengthen the team at all and only add one main player. Terrible window.
I agree. I was talking in terms of a CB signing we probably didn't need.

Crashoutcassius

There is a failing somewhere along the line.... it's either in the targets identified by our scouting departments/Jose (I mean, you can't tell me that there aren't attainable players out there that would improve us and we won't have to pay over the odds for) or in Woodward for not being able to negotiate deals for said attainable players (if he was provided with them), or in the board for just not wanting to put the cash up.
I get you. I do think we are seeing this reflected across all the similar clubs in the league though. Chelsea just paid 72m release clause of a decent young keeper. It took city a year and 60m to get a player from Leicester. Spurs can't do any deals. We are richer and under more pressure than all of them. I don't think the answer can just be as simple as pay whatever they ask, 80m for 29 year old willian, 85m for Maguire, etc. And in the eyes of Ed, especially not when other players he has signed are sitting on the wage bill years later doing nothing - we can't move on all these average players that we signed and it turned out they that never improved us on the first place !

fergieisold

It's not a black and white question that. If the club has 3 or 4 names to fill one position then yes they should pay what it takes to get one of them
This is the wrong approach. Just because we identified the need for a CB does not mean we go and pay a club whatever they want for what is potentially 2nd or 3rd choice on the list.

You can be pissed off at the transfer window being poor but to then react by saying you’d spend 90million on Maguire is insane.

el3mel

I agree. I was talking in terms of a CB signing we probably didn't need.
Doubtful as well. We have only Smalling who looks to be reliable and can play 40-50 matches a season. Jones and Bailly got injured all the time, Rojo is a crap defender and we still don't know how Lindelof will do. Let's not forget De Gea was one of the biggest reasons our defense looks well.

Tobby would have been a very good signing even if it's not a priority.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
This is the wrong approach. Just because we identified the need for a CB does not mean we go and pay a club whatever they want for what is potentially 2nd or 3rd choice on the list.

You can be pissed off at the transfer window being poor but to then react by saying you’d spend 90million on Maguire is insane.
I didn't say I'd want the club to spend 90m on Maguire, me personally wouldn't want us to sign Maguire at all but it's irrelevant what I want, if he's who the manager wants even if he's 3rd or 4th on the list then that's the market we're dealing with and the prices we have to pay if we want to improve

fergieisold

I didn't say I'd want the club to spend 90m on Maguire, me personally wouldn't want us to sign Maguire at all but it's irrelevant what I want, if he's who the manager wants even if he's 3rd or 4th on the list then that's the market we're dealing with and the prices we have to pay if we want to improve
You can see why the board is reluctant though. Hasn’t Jose bought defenders already and made a complete mess of it?

Can’t remember off top of my head by bailley and Lindelof?

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
£53m-ish that's our Net Spend this window.... and no I'm not bringing this up the way some Liverpool supporters and Glaston do as that it's some kind of achievement. Fifty Three Fecking Million spent for the supposed richest club in the world!! What the actual feck?

Woodward and the board need to answer for this transfer window

/rant
net spend of 53m

we made a profit of 80m last year

So actually it seems like a decent amount of that to spend to be honest (especially as we have debts of £300m)

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
You can see why the board is reluctant though. Hasn’t Jose bought defenders already and made a complete mess of it?
Fair enough if that's there excuse for the CB position but what about RB? LB? RW?

The brief was that those positions had been forfeited to get a CB in, when that was clearly not going to happen why not revisit those position and improve us elsewhere?

Like I said in the OP the Net Spend is laughable whichever way you look at it

fergieisold

Fair enough if that's there excuse for the CB position but what about RB? LB? RW?

The brief was that those positions had been forfeited to get a CB in, when that was clearly not going to happen why not revisit those position and improve us elsewhere?

Like I said in the OP the Net Spend is laughable whichever way you look at it
I don’t think anybody knows exactly what has happened. I can only guess negotiations with clubs has been difficult, and that prices quotes for certain players have been ridiculous.

Another guess is the board sending a message to Jose to get on with his job and that they feel they’ve backed him enough already and that he should be getting more out of his current squad...which I wouldn’t completely disagree with!

Camilo

If we signed the following players we ''wanted'':

Willian - RW
Toby - CB
Sandro - LB

We would be much more improved.
I don't think any of the players we've been linked with, short of Bale, would've improved us significantly. It's not the players that stink the place up every weekend anyway, it's the tactics.

shaky

I'm already writing this season off as a non starter. I'm excited about seeing a progressive manager in charge next season and hopefully given £200m NET to spend to make up for this summer. Zidane, Poch, Allegri or maybe Jardim.

A £30m net spend this summer (should Rojo get his move) will surely confirm how much faith this club now has in jose and how they're not on the same page transfer wise.
If Poch can't even win any trophies with a squad as strong as Spurs', what chance has he got with ours? Anyway, if the board have no faith in Jose, they should be replacing him asap, not writing off an entire season by refusing to back him with funds.

el3mel

pretty sure we spent the best part of £20m on a fullback
A 19 years old right back who won't play anything more 18-20 matches this season.

I'm talking about 2 top fullbacks on both sides that will play immediately.

R'hllor

Another similar thread about this issue, campaigns on its way.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
A 19 years old right back who won't play anything more 18-20 matches this season.

I'm talking about 2 top fullbacks on both sides that will play immediately.
im not entirely convinced we can play 2 top fullbacks on both sides immediately -

If Dalot is going to play 20 games... Im assuming Valencia is going to play 30+ so yeah remind me again why we need another right back (esp as darmain, Young, Lindelof and Jones could cover there as well)... please tell me this amazing formation that requires 4 top level fullbacks to play immediatley

Gopher Brown

It’s the price necessary to have a good chance of winning the league though. The transfer market can’t continue as it is, but in the meanwhile it is necessary.

el3mel

im not entirely convinced we can play 2 top fullbacks on both sides immediately -

If Dalot is going to play 20 games... Im assuming Valencia is going to play 30+ so yeah remind me again why we need another right back (esp as darmain, Young, Lindelof and Jones could cover there as well)... please tell me this amazing formation that requires 4 top level fullbacks to play immediatley
These 18-20 matches will be spread on the league cup, Fa Cup, and useless CL matches in the group with very few league games. Darmian played 17 matches last season as well, with only 5 starts in the league among them. I assume Dalot will get the same number or maybe even less as Darmian seems to stick around.

If you think signing a 19 years old right back who will hardly feature in the league is good enough and Darmian, Young, Lindelof and Jones are good cover then I can't take you seriously. Fecking Lindelof and Jones ? :lol:

cyberman

I doubt it, but a competent DoF would've found proper alternatives early on in the window.
He would have signed the likes of Delot and we would go into meltdown!
Remember, Jose wants to sign players better than what we have so its not a case of just signing good or affordable defenders, its the likes of Toby etc that we need.
Their prices stay the same regardless of who we have negotiating

Revan

Assumptionman
Real's net spent in the last 5 seasons is minus 1 million. It is more important how you spend the money, rather than how much money you spend. On the last 5 years, only City spent more than us and yet we are awful.

It is time for this bunch of player and this manager to prove their worth and earn their wages. We have some very talented players on our club who have shown their worth on other clubs, but have failed to be as good here. Only De Gea has played on world class level.

On the summer of 2006, we signed only Michael Carrick, despite that we didn't even challenge for the title for 3 years and the back to back champion signed two of the best players in the world. Yet, we won the title relatively easy cause Fergie found the harmony on the squad and improved considerably the likes of Ronaldo, Rooney, Evra, Vidic and Rio. Maybe Mourinho should find a tactical setup which makes the likes of Pogba, Martial, Rashford, Lukaku and Sanchez (who let's face it, was crap for us last season) instead of moaning all day long.

Biggest improvement comes from within, not from burning money. We have been doing it since 2013 to no avail, time to change the strategy a bit.

Jacob

Real's net spent in the last 5 seasons is minus 1 million. It is more important how you spend the money, rather than how much money you spend. On the last 5 years, only City spent more than us and yet we are awful.

It is time for this bunch of player and this manager to prove their worth and earn their wages. We have some very talented players on our club who have shown their worth on other clubs, but have failed to be as good here. Only De Gea has played on world class level.

On the summer of 2006, we signed only Michael Carrick, despite that we didn't even challenge for the title for 3 years and the back to back champion signed two of the best players in the world. Yet, we won the title relatively easy cause Fergie found the harmony on the squad and improved considerably the likes of Ronaldo, Rooney, Evra, Vidic and Rio. Maybe Mourinho should find a tactical setup which makes the likes of Pogba, Martial, Rashford, Lukaku and Sanchez (who let's face it, was crap for us last season) instead of moaning all day long.

Biggest improvement comes from within, not from burning money. We have been doing it since 2013 to no avail, time to change the strategy a bit.
Give this man a cookie!

VanGaalyTime

Helps when you buy Ronaldo and Bale for world record fees, have only one real rival for the league title and can pick the best young Spanish players for your team each year. Real continually replaces their aging players and can sell for a huge profit because in many cases because they buy well. This helps net spend. United lacks a clear transfer strategy and it shows. While you might say the biggest improvement comes from within, I can't see our current team winning the champions league, can you?

Revan

Assumptionman
Helps when you buy Ronaldo and Bale for world record fees, have only one real rival for the league title and can pick the best young Spanish players for your team each year. Real continually replaces their aging players and can sell for a huge profit because in many cases because they buy well. This helps net spend. United lacks a clear transfer strategy and it shows. While you might say the biggest improvement comes from within, I can't see our current team winning the champions league, can you?
Bale was on 2013, so that should be included. We can also sign Spanish players, and players from every nationality, bargains exist anywhere (see, Spurs). It is not true that Real has only one rival, on the last 5 years they have won the league as many times as Atletico (who Btw reached UCL finals twice, double that of all English clubs combined).

No, I don't believe that our squad is capable of winning UCL. Neither I believe that had we signed Willian and Alder, we would have been much closer. What I believe though, is that our squad is significantly better than what has showed in the last few years and we have multiple players who we have been wanking ourselves to death had they played for other clubs and we got linked to sign them.

I also believe that we have been very very poor in the transfer market in the last few years, and with the money we have spent, we should have had one of the best teams in the world, capable of winning every trophy. This is the thing I blame the board and owners, not for not spending 300m pounds on Maguire, Alder, Perisic and Willian.

cyberman

Madrid has a front 4 that cost over 250m at one point.
Very astute...

Burrow

FM Experiment God
Scout
It seems as though the club is looking to see if the marked will come back down after the Neymar-transfer, and refuse to be a part of the insane inflation of transfer fees that been happening the last few years. I'm actually surprisingly fine with this, as the only few deals that I can remember this window who has been batshit insane is Richarlison, Kepa and Alisson. If this means that the market is about to come back down to reasonable fees, we might see a few players come in next summer or even in January.

goin4glory

The Glazers don't give a feck about winning, all the care about is top 4 and sponsorships rolling in. Fergie isn't around anymore to perform miracles. The sooner people realise how much they're holding us back the better. Time for protests to start again.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Net spend is excuse( liverpool past years) for bad results. Balance at the end of the year is only important. Some clubs make more money from sponsors some from transfers. And because of that this transfer window was something that i can't understand

Spoony

The People's President
Possiblity that The board have lost a lot of faith in Mourinho? That said, he finished runners up last season... so, it's debatable. In the past Fergie learnt to get most of his signings done before the WC start. Seems not to be the case these days.