Television Netflix announces 3 new Dave Chappelle comedy specials

JoaquinJoaquin

Are these specials on the rubbish UK Netflix? If they are I'll sub for a month and watch them.

kps88

Watching the first now, a bit distracting that he's name dropped two Netflix shows in the first 10 minutes though.
These were recorded a while ago and Netflix bought them later so that was probably a coincidence. And it was only one Netflix show, the OJ one originally aired on FX.

Zen

Are these specials on the rubbish UK Netflix? If they are I'll sub for a month and watch them.
It's not rubbish if you kinda only go back to it once a year like I do for 2 months or so.....I mean the exclusives alone are worthy of a couple months re-up every year.

I started the first one, and enjoyed it. But is the Chappelle's Show not on there anywhere? Or have they not got that. Because they seem to have the history of the other stuff they've taken over or revived(Black Mirror, full Gilmore Girls, Full House etc etc) to help push through with a pre-drop hype.

Same with MST3K, I can't seem to find that, though in all fairness, I haven't gone into a deep search for them. But both were classics, would love to watch some of the classic episodes.

okLaptop1

Supports
Minnesota Vikings
These were recorded a while ago and Netflix bought them later so that was probably a coincidence. And it was only one Netflix show, the OJ one originally aired on FX.
One was recorded before Netflix bought it, the other (which I referenced) was after. It doesn't ruin the special or anything, it just took me out for a couple of seconds.

kps88

One was recorded before Netflix bought it, the other (which I referenced) was after. It doesn't ruin the special or anything, it just took me out for a couple of seconds.
Are you sure? I'm pretty sure I saw an interview in which he said both of these were already in the vault when Netflix approached him and he's doing an original hour for them later this year.

b82REZ

It's just coincidental. The Making a Murderer reference was a segway into another gag.

People can be sensitive about the smallest things. Even if Netflix requested he mention their service or shows how does it affect the overall show? Plus he's famous for not bowing to advertisers or using them as a launch point for a joke or skit.

Reminds me of this joke

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Also loved the line where he goes" You were part of the heist, you just didn't like your cut" Great news for comedy fans that the king is back and still smashing it out the park.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Saw the first one, I've missed Dave Chappelle. I hope he's back for good.

okLaptop1

Supports
Minnesota Vikings
People can be sensitive about the smallest things.
I just mentioned it that's all.

Also loved the line where he goes" You were part of the heist, you just didn't like your cut" Great news for comedy fans that the king is back and still smashing it out the park.
So many good lines in this one. Bringing it back to "he rapes but he saves" was great.

stu_1992

Watched both of these last night. Thought they were excellent tbh. Can't wait for the 3rd.

Dan

Not one but two new specials out New Year’s Eve.

cyberman

The black / white angle is played out at this stage.
I love him but you shouldn't be mentioning R Kelly, Michael Jackson or OJ Simpson in your set in 2018

VP

Second one was very ordinary but the first one has to be up there with the best stand-up I've ever seen - funny, incisive social commentary.

Jig1234

I just watched the two new episodes on Netflix UK. It's glorious. Dave is in fine form. Both eps are a great laugh.

Drainy

Second one was very ordinary but the first one has to be up there with the best stand-up I've ever seen - funny, incisive social commentary.
I thought that the second one was just as incisive and more 'artistic'. The pimp stuff got me thinking. Brilliant metaphor for capitalism, and power of the 'establishment'. Tied well into the #metoo stuff.

His message about learning to work with imperfect allies was spot on, though the brittle mentality talk will likely cause him to get slaughtered.

cyberman

@Loublaze
Its played out in the way his appeal has outstripped the black / white you only think you have problems white man style.
He tells an OJ joke 10 years ago or a black rallying call skit and the entire audience are on their feet, cheers aplenty.
Now its 1 in every 2 nervously looking around seeing if they can laugh or not.
I love his earlier audiences (which is strange to say) simply due to that energy.
I have a theory thats why he's started to bang on the microphone every time he has those "I can't believe Im saying this" laughing fits. It's a cue for the audience to join in rather than it becoming a bit of an awkward silence but it came so naturally years ago, those little moments feel a little more forced these days.
Im really nit picking here, the man is hilarious.

VBI

Supports
Celtic, Barca
Watched the new 2 last night, thoroughly enjoyed them both. I always love his stuff, his manner of speaking amuses me greatly. I only regret that he didn't do his funny "evil white man" laugh more than once. The second one was odd, such a small venue for such a famous comedian. The Pimp story at the end was really interesting and clever, he was hinting but not explaining why he left for so long.

Zlatattack

I liked the first one they released this new year, but not the second one - gonna re-watch.

cyberman

@VBI
Its not that odd, top comedians will usually go to comedy clubs to hone their set.
He and Rogan would regularly go to open mic nights and perform in front of half empty rooms to keep sharp

VBI

Supports
Celtic, Barca
@VBI
Its not that odd, top comedians will usually go to comedy clubs to hone their set.
He and Rogan would regularly go to open mic nights and perform in front of half empty rooms to keep sharp
True, but to have it filmed as one of his specials was interesting. He was almost in the crowd! His normal special set-up is bigger without being too vast and stadium-esque.

Drainy

True, but to have it filmed as one of his specials was interesting. He was almost in the crowd! His normal special set-up is bigger without being too vast and stadium-esque.
Comedy Store is a legendary venue. Considering that he was speaking a lot about the Hollywood sex scandals, doing it in Hollywood, in the Comedy Store is a pretty balls out choice.

Dan

Out now.

There’s a 20 minute epilogue after the main show too.

Last edited:

cyberman

What happened? He's just an asshole in this.
No charm whatsoever, just Michael Jackson hot takes in 2019 ffs