Television Netflix Documentaries

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
So what's your recommendation. I was bored and was browsing Netflix and here are some documentaries that I thought were interesting (on a slow afternoon)...

Jiro dreams of Sushi - A documentary about a Michelin 3 star rated Sushi restaurant in Japan and his dedication to the job of running the restaurant. Shows the importance of sushi in the culture and the years people spent as apprentice to become a sushi master!

Somm - A intro to the world of wine and Sommeliers. I had no clue that the Master of Sommelier was this tough to pass! The knowledge these guys is phenomenal. Just by looking/smelling/tasting a glass of wine, they can identify, the geography, type, vintage year etc. Worth a watch!

Mojo_

its more fun being a feeder
Watched Soaked in Bleach last week and was very good.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Watched the below series on Rock Climbing in Yosemite Park. Was just astounded on the free solo climbs they make. One miss and certain death.

The film Cliffhanger was inspired from them. There really was a drug plane crash and everyone got high and rich!

Last edited:

SteveTheRed

Hoop Dreams, on Netflix.

Based in Chicago in the 90's about two 14 year old kids trying to make it to the NBA, filmed over 5 years.

Sweet Square

Young, Bright & On The Right(2012)

Brilliant Doc, remember watching it when it first aired, finally the whole thing is on Youtube.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Anything in general made by 30 for 30. Doesn't matter if you're into the sport or not. The ones that win the Academy awards are generally good. Searching For Sugar Man, 20 Feet from Stardom, Amy.

Saw the Carey Fisher one the other day, thought it was a good watch.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin

A light makeover show where 5 gay guys go about and help people get a makeover as in better dressed, groomed and fitness and kind of upgrade their houses/apartments too. As far as makeover is concerned, it is a big superficial and lacks depth, but they do have a big impact in making the people in the show come out of their subconsciously prejudiced views. The interactions between the cop and Karama Brown on the police assaults on blacks, helping one other guy be comfortable and not hide his sexuality and overall breaking some walls is quite admirable.

Rather than have specific workstreams like one guy for dress, one for grooming, one for food etc, it would be much better if we just had these 5 together offering a different perspective and encouragement to change traditional mindsets.

The part where they learn from the people they are making over and when the people getting made over share their experiences with this group is quite heartwarming. For many this seems to be the first close up and personal interaction with the LGBT community and they do seem changed and more open minded after the show.

Light but good watch.

Here's a good review: http://www.thecrimson.com/article/2018/2/20/queer-eye-review/

Last edited:

strongwalker

Supports
FC Bayern München
i loved to watch "Icarus" v- a documentary about the key figure in the unmasking of the russian doping scandal in Sotchi.

"Hired Gun" about the unsung master artists of the international rock music business was excellent, too

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Watched LA 92 tonight, about the Rodney King riots. Didn't really learn anything I didn't already know (although my wife who didn't have a clue about any of it found it very interesting), but the footage is great, from the Latasha Harlins trial through to King's "can't we get along?" statement. Worth a watch to see how a city of that size can do quickly, temporarily, spiral out of control.

Also started Flint Town tonight, tracking the police department in what looks like one of America's grimmest cities.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Tim Allen - Men are Pigs is quite funny. Short but very enjoyable.

The Fix - Another very funny series where they tackle worlds biggest problems with funny solutions. Jimmy Carr rocks!
The Fix is awful. A weird Americanised version of a panel show where you can feel the dead atmosphere in the studio. And the sound is mixed terribly.

Verminator

Murder Mountain is fabulous viewing.
Starts with the general message of the danger of Humboldt County in California.
A sprawling wilderness, colonised by hippies, growing cannabis, off the grid.
The romance attracting young people with buds in their eyes, looking to make a buck as farm hands, working with the plants of their dreams.
The reality of high value illegal drug business and the characters it attracts, creating a dangerous and forbidding, wild west, where people disappear and murder is common, and where the sparse, rurally funded sheriffs dept fears to venture.

One of the missing young men forms the focus of subsequent instalments, and triggers a crescendo of violence worthy of a Tarantino script.

A parallel storyline of legalisation brings a grim realisation to the farmers who dreamt of its arrival, and threatens the livelihoods of hippies and gangsters alike.

Highly recommended.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
I quite liked it tbf.

What would you call them?
Dunno, but comedians are funny. These people are not. That American bint who seems to be on every show going is the least funny person on the planet. Sure she was on the trailer for this too.

Just read it's an American show, explains it all. Katherine Ryan is the woman I'm on about. She's cringey.

The show sounds interesting and could have been great if it included people like bill bailey

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
Dunno, but comedians are funny. These people are not. That American bint who seems to be on every show going is the least funny person on the planet. Sure she was on the trailer for this too.
American bint? Do you mean Katherine Ryan? The Irish-Canadian who lives in London?

Each to their own I suppose, but considering they've all made careers out of being comedians, and are all successful, think it's fair to call them....well comedians..

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
American bint? Do you mean Katherine Ryan? The Irish-Canadian who lives in London?

Each to their own I suppose, but considering they've all made careers out of being comedians, and are all successful, think it's fair to call them....well comedians..
Yeah her, edited my post above pretty sharp but you were quicker. Plenty of people make careers out of things they're rubbish at the, any amounts of people on TV who have no right to be... The loose women crowd spring to mind.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
Yeah her, edited my post above pretty sharp but you were quicker. Plenty of people make careers out of things they're rubbish at the, any amounts of people on TV who have no right to be... The loose women crowd spring to mind.
You sound like a bowl of fun.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin

Just read it's an American show, explains it all. Katherine Ryan is the woman I'm on about. She's cringey.

The show sounds interesting and could have been great if it included people like bill bailey
She's OK. It's not like you're going to get a comedy level of George Carlin or Seinfeld...but for a small TV show, it really is nice. And I like that it doesn't conform to political correctness and has freedom for the participants to express themselves.

I watched more episodes last night and I really like it.

l
Maybe I need to give it another go. Was probably distracted by the negatives
Give it a couple of episodes. As a light/binge watch, it really works, at least for me!

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
Not documentaries, but

The punisher - didn't think I'd like it as usually don't like the marvel and DC stuff too much, thought this was excellent though. 2nd series out soon!

Travelers - this had me hooked on seasons one and two, not managed to watch much of the 3rd yet. Very underrated.

LuisNaniencia

Sky Sports called my bluff
The romance attracting young people with buds in their eyes, looking to make a buck as farm hands, working with the plants of their dreams.
The reality of high value illegal drug business and the characters it attracts, creating a dangerous and forbidding, wild west, where people disappear and murder is common, and where the sparse, rurally funded sheriffs dept fears to venture.

One of the missing young men forms the focus of subsequent instalments, and triggers a crescendo of violence worthy of a Tarantino script.

A parallel storyline of legalisation brings a grim realisation to the farmers who dreamt of its arrival, and threatens the livelihoods of hippies and gangsters alike.

Highly recommended.
When there were just hippies there, damn it looked like a nice life. Nixon fecked that place.

Andersons Dietician

Sex Education, just hammered all 8 episodes and I don’t regret it at all. Gillian Anderson plays a sex therapist raising her son Asa Butterfield but she keeps interfering with his life. He meets a girl at school and after an incident where he gives some good advice she persuaded him to be the schools sex therapist then all manner of ridiculous stuf happens.

It’s not going to win any awards but it was fun, entertaining and light hearted. Well worth a watch if anyone is looking for something.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs

Highly recommended.
I want to see this too. There have been stories and articles about the dark murderous underside of the Emerald Triangle for a a long time and even that specific murder has had multiple articles written about it. That area has always been dangerous though. I knew a few people that grew up in various towns in upper nor cal and they said people would go missing very frequently in those networks of small towns.

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
Watching 'Wild Wild Country' now, and it is amazing. A bit slow in the start, but then it just kicks off.

Sect of acid droppers vs local rednecks in Antelope, with both sides entering an arms race and going semi-paramillitary.

Loublaze

ATLien
Anyone seen the Canadian crime drama Bad Blood? It has Kim Coates in it (who played Tig in Sons of Anarchy). I started it the other night and it looks promising from the little I saw (didn't finish the first episode).

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Anyone seen the Canadian crime drama Bad Blood? It has Kim Coates in it (who played Tig in Sons of Anarchy). I started it the other night and it looks promising from the little I saw (didn't finish the first episode).
I gave up after first episode.