New allegations of corruption in FIFA - Russia and Qatar buying votes

Dve

New details emerge in a indictment were US prosecutors claim several members of FIFA took money from Russia and Qatar to secure them the WC in football 2018 and 2022. The defendants include

Jack Warner - former vice president in FIFA - received 5 million dollars to vote for WC in Russia 2018.

Rafael Salguero - former president in the Guatemalan FA - also paid to vote for Russia.

Ricardo Teixeira - former president in the Brazilian FA - paid to vote for Qatar

Nicoláz - former vice president in FIFA and president in CONMEBOL - paid to vote for Qatar

The indictment also includes Herman Lopez and Carloz Martinez - former leaders in 21st Century Fox - paid members of CONMEBOL for inside information about the biddings in connection to the TV rights.

https://www.justice.gov/usao-edny/press-release/file/1266856/download

It´s already know that Russia and Qatar paid for voted, but If FIFA hold on to the plans of a WC in Qatar, is it time to loud our voices for a boycott? Can we have more of this?

Last edited:

InfiniteBoredom

Is it specifically against the laws in Switzerland for these transfers to be made?

FIFA has always been so barefaced about this I reckon they will trot out the ‘its not against the laws to take bribes’ if that’s the case.

204Red

What's probably more shocking is how steadfast FIFA has been to stick by the Qatar WC when everything about it has been so obviously flawed.

FerociousCorgis

What's probably more shocking is how steadfast FIFA has been to stick by the Qatar WC when everything about it has been so obviously flawed.
Exactly. Pretty much every promise Qatar made has been broken and fifa dgaf apparently. Those fancy air conditioned stadiums never happened, resulting in their promise of keeping it summer tournament a lie. Amazing just how nonchalant fifa was with switching tournament time

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
With corruption so deeply rooted into all layers of FIFA (and obviously UEFA) - what does that mean for the future of the sport? Is it not too naive to assume that such deep corruption is a side-show and has no affect on the development of the sport?

Morpheus 7

It's been known, change nothing about the next WC. Think every football fan knew it was all off when it was announced.

Atze-Peng

Dortmund Fan
Remember when the Qatar vote was set and people accused the Fifa of corruption? They then started an internal investigation with the conclusion that the Fifa themselves figured out that the Fifa isn't corrupt. Can't make that shit up :D

Champagne Football

I'm sure there was a lot more countries than Russia and Qatar offering bribes. Its just that they offered the most.

But the whole process is corrupt. Sepp Blatter made sure the next 3 in a row world cups were voted on at the same time, so that he could benefit from the bribes from all 3 host winners.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
I'm sure there was a lot more countries than Russia and Qatar offering bribes. Its just that they offered the most.

But the whole process is corrupt. Sepp Blatter made sure the next 3 in a row world cups were voted on at the same time, so that he could benefit from the bribes from all 3 host winners.
Sepp gotta make sure he get as much as he can before he's too old for this shit.

Cloud7

Well I'll be damned. Corruption in FIFA. Who knew?

As a national of Trinidad, I really can't wait to see the day that Jack Warner is behind bars. The guy is a criminal on such a huge global scale, it's crazy.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
FIFA is about as corrupt as the Somalian regional athorities. Very very.

arthurka

What's going on? FIFA can't and wouldn't ever think of anything like this..

I know somebody who worked on the Qatar bid. She was laughing about how ridiculous it all was even back when the votes were first cast.

The only thing that matters now is can this FBI investigation force the WC to be moved to a proper country.

Brightonian

I know somebody who worked on the Qatar bid. She was laughing about how ridiculous it all was even back when the votes were first cast.

The only thing that matters now is can this FBI investigation force the WC to be moved to a proper country.
No, of course they can't. People can be brought to justice for breaking laws, and parties can potentially sue for damages (don't hold your breath on either of those though.) Law enforcement agencies can't rule on where football tournaments will be held, even if they prove the original decisions were made fraudulently.

The Urban Goose

With corruption so deeply rooted into all layers of FIFA (and obviously UEFA) - what does that mean for the future of the sport? Is it not too naive to assume that such deep corruption is a side-show and has no affect on the development of the sport?
Very few people in football give a fudge, half of it is a money laundering scheme anyway.

Dargonk

Ninja Scout
Scout
Such shocking news, not a single person would have predicted corruption...

Yakuza_devils

The most worrying part is that after so many year nobody seem to be able to do anything even though it's clear as daylight that this is blatant corruption of highest order.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
It amazes me how so many sleazebags manage to secure high-level positions. We're doing things fundamentally wrong.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Can we just scrap FIFA and UEFA at this point and start afresh?

pcaming

United are an embarrassment.
Jack Warner is going up for election in my constituency this General Election in Trinidad :lol:...all this while living comfortably even with all the pending cases. His sons took the fall for him and are in prison in the USA for some of the stuff. He's also suing the local FA for money :cool:

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Just wait for Platini to repeat his claims of being framed by Infantino and Blatter.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I remember when Blatter was forced out and Infantino pledged to sort out the corruption. Shock horror he ends up part of it.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Not this shit again. FIFA has already carried out their own investigations and have told us they're now corruption free.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Not this shit again. FIFA has already carried out their own investigations and have told us they're now corruption free.
Pretty hard to stop it, unless you make any voting panels about 100 strong instead of a small handful.

And even then how do you stop an individual being approached by the money men?

NYAS

Pretty hard to stop it, unless you make any voting panels about 100 strong instead of a small handful.

And even then how do you stop an individual being approached by the money men?
You don’t; you make sure you employ people who have some sort of morals and ethics who’ll resist the money men. Such people are in ncreasingly in low supply these days admittedly, though.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
You don’t; you make sure you employ people who have some sort of morals and ethics who’ll resist the money men. Such people are in ncreasingly in low supply these days admittedly, though.
Everyone has a price unfortunately.

If you're paid 30k for your job, and someone comes to you and offers 5m for something, it's an incredibly difficult position to say no to.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I will step in and keep FIFA free of corruption.

Guns, lots of guns. This is why I'm the right man for the job.
Dwazza is a fraud(it's not even his real pseudonym), remember that he pretended to be a doctor for many years. Vote for JPRouve, I will vanquish immorality.