New Analysis Operations Manager

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
AUSTRALIAN Andrew Meredith has left German side St Pauli to take up a new position as Analysis Operations Manager at Manchester United.

The 47-year-old will report into Paul Brand, United’s Head of First Team Analysis, who has been at Old Trafford since 2013.

Brand will now focus on the provision of analysis for the first team, working closely with manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer and his assistants, while Meredith will have a more strategic role across the department.

Meredith tweeted: “After six unforgettable seasons, tonight’s home game (against Holstein Kiel) will be my last as an employee at the magical St Pauli - a very special club, which I feel extremely privileged to have been part of.

“I would like to thank everyone involved at the club for their kindness, co-operation and magnificent support over the years. I have made both friends and memories which will stay with me forever and wish everyone in the St Pauli universe the very best both on and off the pitch.

“I now look forward to my next chapter, and I'm excited to be joining Manchester United from September 1st as Analysis Operations Manager.”

The appointment is a significant one, because United have fallen behind rivals Manchester City and Liverpool in terms of the resourcing of their analysis department.

Meredith has had a fascinating career path. His background is in hockey and he was assistant coach of the German men’s team from 2004 to 2012, during which time they won two Olympic golds, in 2008 and 2012.

In 2012, he become Head Coach and Director of Performance for the Ireland men’s team, before moving into football analysis in his native Australia as Technical Analyst for the Socceroos.

For the last six years he has been Director of Performance Analysis for German side St Pauli, working on match analysis and scouting, research and new technology. He also run his own consultancy, Sideline UG.
https://trainingground.guru/articles/man-utd-hire-new-analysis-chief-from-st-pauli

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Without having a clue how any of this actually works I'm going to take my comfort where I can and say it sounds like a good appointment. Areas such as 'match analysis and scouting, research and new technology' all sound like things we could improve in, so welcome Andrew.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Hopefully it helps in some way. Welcome aboard Andrew. Probably got a few months before someone starts questioning what you actually do and branded a Glazer shill.

redshaw

Scan's not complete yet but apparently "no midfield found" "missing or deleted" has come up.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
After 6 forgettable seasons I’m hoping this guy is the answer to our problems.

How long is it before his analysis discovers that our strategy all along was to appoint the wrong bloke,then sack him

K13

What an excellent appointment. He is exceptional at creating the right kind of environment for each athlete to thrive in.

There is so much data collected from performances and to have someone of his calibre someone with a high level of experience and success who knows how to use it is to our advantage.

When he was in hockey it was then usual for international teams to play every day during tournaments so they had to use technology to get the very best out of the players without injury/illness. Everything was analysed - nutrition, training, sleep patterns, health all to gain the slight margins that can make a difference.

Smores

"with the ability to adapt quickly to changing circumstances"

Even our job descriptions hint at our forever changing managers.

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
Hopefully it helps in some way. Welcome aboard Andrew. Probably got a few months before someone starts questioning what you actually do and branded a Glazer shill.
He's a clearly yes man.

iHicksy

"Hi Ed, I received your e-mail but i'm a little confused. Maybe I misread but there doesn't seem to be any request to look at performance data. The only categories you've asked for are as follows:

• Burndown chart of players instagram likes in comparison to playing time
  • Re-tweets of the Manchester United hastag pre and post game
  • Look into expanding into something called "tik-tok" (????)
  • Number of tractors purchased since 2017 (what?)
I think there's been some kind of mix-up?

Regards, Andrew (Analysis Operations Manager)"

roonster09

Scout
What an excellent appointment. He is exceptional at creating the right kind of environment for each athlete to thrive in.

There is so much data collected from performances and to have someone of his calibre someone with a high level of experience and success who knows how to use it is to our advantage.

When he was in hockey it was then usual for international teams to play every day during tournaments so they had to use technology to get the very best out of the players without injury/illness. Everything was analysed - nutrition, training, sleep patterns, health all to gain the slight margins that can make a difference.
I'm not sure if this serious post or sarcastic one. Don't get me wrong, I was thinking it might be sarcastic one as we don't usually know what is going on behind the scenes.

K13

I'm not sure if this serious post or sarcastic one. Don't get me wrong, I was thinking it might be sarcastic one as we don't usually know what is going on behind the scenes.
It is not sarcastic. The role he has been bought into perform is very normal in a hockey international team. He was brilliant at it with Germany and Ireland and took them to unprecedented success hence why a professional football club secured his services.

fps

"Hi Ed, I received your e-mail but i'm a little confused. Maybe I misread but there doesn't seem to be any request to look at performance data. The only categories you've asked for are as follows:

:lol:

roonster09

Scout
It is not sarcastic. The role he has been bought into perform is very normal in a hockey international team. He was brilliant at it with Germany and Ireland and took them to unprecedented success hence why a professional football club secured his services.
Thanks. Read that in the trainingground site but didn't know much about this guy.

United58

That's Woodward's account ;)

Hopefully this guy does give us direction and means we're moving towards hiring a DoF

Full bodied red

Is this going to end up like rugby and cricket with half a dozen hangers-on sat in the stands staring at i-pads during the match ??

But what really gets me about these people, they sit there dressed in a full playing kit to watch their i-pads.....

roonster09

Scout
Is this going to end up like rugby and cricket with half a dozen hangers-on sat in the stands staring at i-pads during the match ??

But what really gets me about these people, they sit there dressed in a full playing kit to watch their i-pads.....
I think they will be involved for the preparation of the game, or post match analysis.

PaulRich

So we need to pay someone a six figure salary to establish that Lingard is shite?? Unbelievable Geoff

K13

Thanks. Read that in the trainingground site but didn't know much about this guy.
Hockey has had to be smarter because funding is its life blood so it needs to perform at the ranking tournaments to ensure that. Players would be flat out playing 7 games in a 10 day period and the squad would not be able to handle losing more than 1 player to injury. So they always had to be on top of their game and used sports science/technology long before it had become main stream. Dynamic stretching, interval training, gravity treadmills and ice chambers were very much part of the routine way before football used them. I use to watch us warm up and think it was something from the dark ages.

Sir Alex oversaw the introduction of sports science so the likes of Valencia used an under water treadmill to recover whereas before he would be on a bike which would allow the muscles he needed to change in the wrong way. The last few years this side of things has slipped and it is good that it is back on the agenda now as it is brilliant at taking an individual athlete and making sure every part is performing to its max. It is a very individual approach and helps each player fuel, train and recover based on their individual make up and ensures they are less likely to get injured but that they are maximizing their physical potential. So if a player eats something even if it is healthy/trains or performs a certain exercise they can see through their analysis if it has had a negative impact or not and takes steps is it has.

Inigo Montoya

So we need to pay someone a six figure salary to establish that Lingard is shite?? Unbelievable Geoff
He's getting a 6 figure salary? Not convinced of that. PL clubs are notoriously mean when it comes to salaries for positions like this. Be interested to know though.

He does have another side business called er..imaginatively 'Sideline.'

Inigo Montoya

Hockey has had to be smarter because funding is its life blood so it needs to perform at the ranking tournaments to ensure that. Players would be flat out playing 7 games in a 10 day period and the squad would not be able to handle losing more than 1 player to injury. So they always had to be on top of their game and used sports science/technology long before it had become main stream. Dynamic stretching, interval training, gravity treadmills and ice chambers were very much part of the routine way before football used them. I use to watch us warm up and think it was something from the dark ages.

Sir Alex oversaw the introduction of sports science so the likes of Valencia used an under water treadmill to recover whereas before he would be on a bike which would allow the muscles he needed to change in the wrong way. The last few years this side of things has slipped and it is good that it is back on the agenda now as it is brilliant at taking an individual athlete and making sure every part is performing to its max. It is a very individual approach and helps each player fuel, train and recover based on their individual make up and ensures they are less likely to get injured but that they are maximizing their physical potential. So if a player eats something even if it is healthy/trains or performs a certain exercise they can see through their analysis if it has had a negative impact or not and takes steps is it has.
Jesse has clearly been eating shit then!

Mike Smalling

:lol:

K13

Jesse has clearly been eating shit then!
He is not himself at the moment.

I remember Kieran Richardson getting a lot of criticism and it transpired he had been playing with a hairline fracture on his back - he was great utility player for us.

Lingard is still a club asset even if he is woefully out of form. In my opinion he has not recovered from trying to come back too early last season from his hamstring injury to play against Liverpool. Sometimes with injuries like that the muscle fascia gets stuck because it has not healed and causes a huge amount of problems.

So I know your post was in jest but yes conceivably this type of analysis should be able to pick up on this.