New Analysis Operations Manager

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
He is not himself at the moment.

I remember Kieran Richardson getting a lot of criticism and it transpired he had been playing with a hairline fracture on his back - he was great utility player for us.

Lingard is still a club asset even if he is woefully out of form. In my opinion he has not recovered from trying to come back too early last season from his hamstring injury to play against Liverpool. Sometimes with injuries like that the muscle fascia gets stuck because it has not healed and causes a huge amount of problems.

So I know your post was in jest but yes conceivably this type of analysis should be able to pick up on this.
Hope so.

It was in jest and I'd love for Jesse to have a positive impact

Enigma_87

You know who
The new Analman! :drool:

But seriously, I'd welcome any change in the staff, so hope this is for the better, whatever his responsibilities are..

K13

Hope so.

It was in jest and I'd love for Jesse to have a positive impact
Likewise and I assume you are a great Rooney fan? Which I am as well.

If we had access to this type of information then he would not have played so many games injured because the decision would not have been left to him. I think he would have had a better last few years as well because not recovering correctly causes multiple problems.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Likewise and I assume you are a great Rooney fan? Which I am as well.

If we had access to this type of information then he would not have played so many games injured because the decision would not have been left to him. I think he would have had a better last few years as well because not recovering correctly causes multiple problems.
Despite his issues and waning impact, at his best he was world class and won games on his own that I thought we'd lose. He was a one off and even if the criticism is justified, his record speaks for itself.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Hockey has had to be smarter because funding is its life blood so it needs to perform at the ranking tournaments to ensure that. Players would be flat out playing 7 games in a 10 day period and the squad would not be able to handle losing more than 1 player to injury. So they always had to be on top of their game and used sports science/technology long before it had become main stream. Dynamic stretching, interval training, gravity treadmills and ice chambers were very much part of the routine way before football used them. I use to watch us warm up and think it was something from the dark ages.

Sir Alex oversaw the introduction of sports science so the likes of Valencia used an under water treadmill to recover whereas before he would be on a bike which would allow the muscles he needed to change in the wrong way. The last few years this side of things has slipped and it is good that it is back on the agenda now as it is brilliant at taking an individual athlete and making sure every part is performing to its max. It is a very individual approach and helps each player fuel, train and recover based on their individual make up and ensures they are less likely to get injured but that they are maximizing their physical potential. So if a player eats something even if it is healthy/trains or performs a certain exercise they can see through their analysis if it has had a negative impact or not and takes steps is it has.
Thanks for the reply. Looks interesting.

K13

Despite his issues and waning impact, at his best he was world class and won games on his own that I thought we'd lose. He was a one off and even if the criticism is justified, his record speaks for itself.
Rooney

Agree just an amazing footballer. I loved watching him play. A little bit of a street fighter mixed with incredible craft and skill. The power on his shots with virtually no back lift. I am definitely with you on this one.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
2013? Can this man be the troll of the century? City fan in a United shirt. A mole in our midst. The man in Rashfords ear. The man who's analysis predicted Phil Jones or Lingard's breakout seasons this year, the man behind the infamous contract extensions.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
All I can take from this is, how the feck is the Paul lad still in his job?

Enigma_87

You know who
2013? Can this man be the troll of the century? City fan in a United shirt. A mole in our midst. The man in Rashfords ear. The man who's analysis predicted Phil Jones or Lingard's breakout seasons this year, the man behind the infamous contract extensions.
Nationality: Scottish

Moyesy's bastard son?

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers

Whatever that means...
Data collection and data analysis is becoming a vital tool in all sports, football included.
Most importantly, analysing how the team operates as a unit is key.
If you look at the very best, unfortunately City, they have been coached and developed to operate as a machine. Yes they have brilliant individuals but they do not play as individuals. They operate as a machine.
You can only achieve such perfection by constant analysis driving constant important.
Do. Analyse. Improve.

Jaqen H'ghar

I can't drive...55
Yeah, it's hard to believe there's any quality analysis going on with our team.

That or it's largely ignored.

Stepney73

Is this going to end up like rugby and cricket with half a dozen hangers-on sat in the stands staring at i-pads during the match ??

But what really gets me about these people, they sit there dressed in a full playing kit to watch their i-pads.....
You can have 600 People each with a supercomputer but as long as the likes of young and lingard are in our 1st team it won't make one bit of difference.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Now we finally have an Analysis Operations Manager, there should also be a new Operations Analysis Manager, called Meredith Drewan.

Meredith "I've analysed your operations and have worked out that they can be conducted in a 3.4% more effecient manner"
Andrew "yes well I've created an operation that would allow your analysis to be carried out 2.7 times more effectively"

*both sip into their cups of coffee while glaring at each other

Sterling Archer

Is this why Ole didn't watch last seasons match against Palace? Because we've hired someone to do so?

maximus419

Yeah, it's hard to believe there's any quality analysis going on with our team.

That or it's largely ignored.
Or, its a load of crap and is just science over complicating a simple game.

Football is slowly being eroded by technology and money. There is no space for flair players or players playing on instinct anymore. Its just one game of chess with supposed atheletes and actual footballing ability is not so important now.

You can tell that from the Fergie teams of the 90's and into the early 2000's and now. They played as a team, were as fit as any team of today and actually had the ability to express themselves. They would murder the teams of today because they wouldn't be controlled by technology and analysis holding them back.

Its sad but football is dying slowly.

Jaqen H'ghar

I can't drive...55
Or, its a load of crap and is just science over complicating a simple game.

Football is slowly being eroded by technology and money. There is no space for flair players or players playing on instinct anymore. Its just one game of chess with supposed atheletes and actual footballing ability is not so important now.

You can tell that from the Fergie teams of the 90's and into the early 2000's and now. They played as a team, were as fit as any team of today and actually had the ability to express themselves. They would murder the teams of today because they wouldn't be controlled by technology and analysis holding them back.

Its sad but football is dying slowly.
Good post, and I agree on some points, disagree on others.

The quest for efficiency has had an effect on the beauty of the game. Player's are encouraged to keep it simple, avoid dribbling, choose the simpler pass, etc, so the game, while played at a much higher level than it was, say 15 or 20 years ago, seems less 'beautiful' and skillful. The margin for error is very small and becoming smaller.

On the other hand, winning matters. It's what creates history for teams, and winning is often decided on small margins. Statistic analysis can give a team that edge.

It's not pseudoscience, that much is obvious. It's effective, it's being done by all teams at a high level, so any team that does not is at a huge disadvantage. But I suppose, like in every other field, not all stastical analysis teams are equal.

Hope this new chap adds something to our team.