New backup striker?

Scholsey2004

Zlatan will probably leave by seasons end at latest so we'll need a backup for lukaku. Arguably we could use one now since zlatan is still recovering from his knee injury and lukaku isn't getting opportunities to be rested.

Personally I'd bring back one of the old lads who aren't currently in great demand. Hernandez isn't wanted at west ham and welbecks days at arsenal appear to be coming to an end. Seeing welbeck back if only to make up the numbers would be particularly nice.

We've also been linked with a move for vardy. Any thoughts opinions on who, if anyone we should sign?

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
‘Why not add £150m and go for Kane?’

In all seriousness, we should continue to show faith in Rashford to do this job.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Sanchez or martial will play upfront, even rashford.

Silas

Both Martial and Sanchez can play there. No need. As if you'd suggest Welbeck of all people.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Hernandez? Welbeck? Why not recall van Persie and Mame Biram Diouf while we're at it?

Personally wouldn't mind someone like Callum Wilson. Perfect age and a decent goal scorer, only problem is his injury record. Would not be confident starting the season with only one out-and-out CF. Ideally we groom Rashford for that role but we still need a bit more cover in the shorter term. Yeah we have a lot of attackers that 'can play there' but in a season with 60+ games you need proper cover for every position.

TrebleFan99

How about Lukaku can play back up to Martial from time to time?

Why does Lukaku have to start every game it makes no sense? Martial deserves minutes at striker and we might find out he's a better option period.

Devil may care

The only two strikers in the game right now I'd want to see us buy who are actually obtainable are Timo Werner and Icardi, neither will happen due to Lukaku, so I'd say we should give Martial a lot more games as a #9 and lets see how he develops in there, in those games Sanchez or Lingard can play LWF instead.

We do need another attacker though IMO, preferably a versatile one that is very comfortable on the right.

How about Lukaku can play back up to Martial from time to time?

Why does Lukaku have to start every game it makes no sense? Martial deserves minutes at striker and we might find out he's a better option period.
I'd love to see this instead of him just having Rooney-like privledges.

binary bot
Jamie Vardy would be ideal, although the price wouldn't.

Bwuk

We have Lukaku, Martial, Rashford and Sanchez...

RedCurry

Morata might be available for a cut price at the end of the season.

beingshe7don

Was this guy one of the best strikers we've had or what?

Can't believe we got rid of him. In the recent past, he was the best we had and Lukaku needs to match this guy. Van Persie could create something out of nothing.

I'm hoping that Sanchez will have a similar impact. I know we already bought a 75m striker but I feel Icardi would truly suit us. If Real are after Kane, he could be available for us to pounce unless PSG think of replacing Cavani with Icardi.

J_Red 11

Zlatan will probably leave by seasons end at latest so we'll need a backup for lukaku. Arguably we could use one now since zlatan is still recovering from his knee injury and lukaku isn't getting opportunities to be rested.

Personally I'd bring back one of the old lads who aren't currently in great demand. Hernandez isn't wanted at west ham and welbecks days at arsenal appear to be coming to an end. Seeing welbeck back if only to make up the numbers would be particularly nice.

We've also been linked with a move for vardy. Any thoughts opinions on who, if anyone we should sign?
Do we need one when already have Martial, Sanchez & Rashford?

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
No, don't think so. Mourinho doesn't want to rest Lukaku much, and even if Lukaku gets an injury then Martial or Sanchez is good there already. Rashford may become a great striker himself and need the little game-time he can get in that position. So no.

beingshe7don

Maybe not this season but we would like to have an out and out striker. Martial and Sanchez are good but I would like to have a proper target man like Lukaku. Rashford doesn't look to be a 20 goal striker. He'll chip in around 10-15 goals a season in all competitions at best. Since his breakthrough season, I haven't seen him take it up a notch.

DdeGoat

As mentioned, Rashford, Martial and Sanchez are enough options to play the position. Not sure if Jose would fancy any of them. Couple of his statements suggest that he is not hot on the idea of Rashford or Martial as starting strikers.

In my opinion, we should get add another attacker to this team and move Mata along. Someone young enough who can play on the right and take over from Sanchez a couple of years down the line.

If Jose prefers a 4231, then I would prefer us getting Lemar or Fekir; two players who can play through the middle or the flanks.

J_Red 11

Maybe not this season but we would like to have an out and out striker. Martial and Sanchez are good but I would like to have a proper target man like Lukaku. Rashford doesn't look to be a 20 goal striker. He'll chip in around 10-15 goals a season in all competitions at best. Since his breakthrough season, I haven't seen him take it up a notch.
Sanchez can also be a 20 goals striker. He scored like 24 league goals last season played most of the time as a striker.

el3mel

If we want a backup striker, I can think of Vardy, but that will kill any chance of Rashford playing there any time soon BTW.

Scholsey2004

Personally I'd say rashford and martial are competing for left wing and that neither is a dedicated striker. I don't think the second choice striker has to be great but he does need to be an actual striker. I don't remember us being successful with only one striker in the squad, we've always had a solskjaer or hernandez as backup.

beingshe7don

Rashford just doesn't have a striker's instinct like what a Van Persie has. But I agree that Sanchez could be that person. However if that happens, we are back to square one where we have no quality on the right. Vardy may be a good shout but I don't see him leaving Leicester. We should have targeted Dzeko would have been a good shout as a backup to Lukaku. Or we could get CR7 and play him at RW when Lukaku is on the field.

Martial --- Lukaku --- CR7
------- Sanchez -----------
---- Pogba ---- Matic -----

Haha.... this won't happen... but for shits and giggles.

beingshe7don

Actually we should target Timo Werner.... Good option to play on the wings as well as lead the line by himself. He would also be a good back up to Sanchez and Lukaku. He'll get game time in cup games when we plan to rest Sanchez or so. And he was a United fan when he was a kid. His ability reminds me a lot of Rooney.

Red_toad

Is the Welbeck suggestion some kind of a sick joke that eludes me?
He'd actually work very well in this current team, not as the main striker, but a supporting attacking player. He works like a dog for the team and is very good at link up play, though his final product is erratic. I'd be happy for him to return on a freebie.

beingshe7don

He'd actually work very well in this current team, not as the main striker, but a supporting attacking player. He works like a dog for the team and is very good at link up play, though his final product is erratic. I'd be happy for him to return on a freebie.
We are trying to rid the team of mediocre players... not get them back. Sorry, Welbeck has no quality and we already have Lingard in the team that offers the same work rate without getting injured.

Red_toad

We are trying to rid the team of mediocre players... not get them back. Sorry, Welbeck has no quality and we already have Lingard in the team that offers the same work rate without getting injured.
Has no quality? Honestly some people just have no idea, if he had no quality he'd not a professional top flight footballer.
I suggest you return with a more open attitude when judging a player, he's great at link up play, he's very fast, physically strong and has a very good skill level. All that's really missing from his game is consistent end product and the ability to stay fit for extended periods.
You'll be one of those fans that wants half the squad gone I'm guessing?

eat_grass

I don't think United are back at the level yet where a player that would start for most other teams would choose to sign to sit on the bench. So any signing would be of a genuine backup-striker quality. Might as well just slot Martial and Rashford in there instead under those circumstances.

apotheosis

O'Fortuna

Any thoughts opinions on who, if anyone we should sign?
We already have Rashford. Sanchez and Martial could play there too if needed. We would benefit far more by strengthening other areas.