New Club World Cup format

Pintu

Almost complete casting from Europe with Barcelona eliminated. Last spot now between Arsenal and Salzburg.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
How have Salzburg ended up as the next best choice?

Bertie Wooster

Nobody gives a feck about that shite.
Said the uninvited :wenger:
I don't think many from Europe have cared about the Club World Cup so far, really. They do in South America, to get one over the European giants - and obviously other continents wanted included as well. But it's never got much attention or respect in Europe.

The extension of it to include more of the top teams may help make it a more respected tournament - even though its clearly only done for financial reasons. Personally, I'm against all these tournaments getting ever larger in numbers. Generally, its diluting the standard. And how the elite players are meant to stay fit and at the top of their games when there's an ever increasing amount of club and international duties all through the year I've no idea!

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
There’s football overload right now. We are wondering why players are getting more and more injuries? Because there’s too much football!
World Cup every 2 years
World club cup every year?
European championships
UEFA nations league
AFCON
When do players get a break?

why has every organisation in the world seemingly dialled up the thirst for money since COVID?

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
How have Salzburg ended up as the next best choice?
4 CL winners from 2021-24 & 8 teams based on CL results from the same period. But at most two teams from the same country can qualify, if there’s not more than two actual CL winners from the same country that is.
Since Chelsea and City are already qualified through winning CL, Arsenal can only get in by winning CL this year. If Arsenal doesn't, either PSG, Bayern, City, BVB or Real will. And they’re all already qualified either through ranking or winning CL. This means that one extra spot will be available through ranking, and Salzburg are next in line after some decent results in CL between 2021-24.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
They've reached the knockouts once, haven't they?

Just seem a very underwhelming entrant.

Robertd0803

How do Atletico have a higher co-efficent than Barca? Was being eliminated at the group stages last year that much of a swing or am I forgetting something else major?

PSV

How do Atletico have a higher co-efficent than Barca? Was being eliminated at the group stages last year that much of a swing or am I forgetting something else major?
Barcelona has a quarterfinal exit, a Ro16 exit and 2 group stage exits.
Atletico has 2 quarterfinal exits, a Ro16 exit and a group stage exit.

Todd

Utterly pointless competition. Why pretend we need a World Cup of clubs to determine the best club in the world when the UEFA Champions League already does that.

The UEFA CL club have won this stupid Club World Cup 11 years in a row, for anyone wondering. And the only way that would ever change is if the UEFA representative just starts looking at this competition as a summer warm-up and plays their kids.

Markolan

Supports
AC Milan
Arsenal knocked out.
It means Austrian team RB Salzburg will officially be in the competition alongside PSG, Inter, Juventus Chelsea, Man City Bayern Munich, Dortmund, Porto, Benfica, Real Madrid and Atlético Madrid.

It's clear something must change from next edition, will all due respect but it's a joke to see Salzburg instead of Barcelona or Liverpool

FreakyJim

90% of teams play better football than us
Arsenal knocked out.
It means Austrian team RB Salzburg will officially be in the competition alongside PSG, Inter, Juventus Chelsea, Man City Bayern Munich, Dortmund, Porto, Benfica, Real Madrid and Atlético Madrid.

It's clear something must change from next edition, will all due respect but it's a joke to see Salzburg instead of Barcelona or Liverpool
They're Mozart's boyhood club, they should be there.

PSV

Here's all the teams that have reached the Ro16 from 2020-21 to 2023-24 that would have been comparable (and eligible) and their 4-season performances:

Salzburg: Group Stage / Round of 16 / Group Stage / Group Stage
Ajax: Group Stage / Round of 16 / Group Stage / Not Qualified
Brugge: Group Stage / Group Stage / Round of 16 / Not Qualified
FCK: Not Qualified / Not Qualified / Group Stage / Round of 16
PSV: Not Qualified / Play-off Round / Play-off Round / Round of 16
Lille: Not Qualified / Round of 16 / Not Qualified / Not Qualified

Salzburg is the only team that has consistently made the group stage and no team has reached Ro16 more than once.

As "underwhelming" as Salzburg might be they are the best performer outside the 5 leagues with two teams and PSG.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
When's this actually going to be played, July 2025?

Considering internationals go deep into June now players are basically getting two weeks off at the best which isn't acceptable. For this tournament to actually work you need to end all domestic seasons by middle of May, have CL final around 22-23rd May as it used to be and then have internationals and then June is the proper rest period for players.

I guess the only thing is if clubs weren't playing this in America....they'd just be playing World club series friendlies in America but those are obviously lower intensity and at a shorter period.

Rnd898

Supports
Chelsea
When's this actually going to be played, July 2025?

Considering internationals go deep into June now players are basically getting two weeks off at the best which isn't acceptable. For this tournament to actually work you need to end all domestic seasons by middle of May, have CL final around 22-23rd May as it used to be and then have internationals and then June is the proper rest period for players.

I guess the only thing is if clubs weren't playing this in America....they'd just be playing World club series friendlies in America but those are obviously lower intensity and at a shorter period.
It will run from June 15th to July 13th 2025.

Basically it looks like players are expected to re-join their club squads for this tournament right after the international break in early June so there's probably not even going to be a one week break for them.

I suppose it could be possible to have a break after the tournament is over, just like with players returning late from national team tournaments but for a whole squad to be given 2-3 weeks off right before the actual league season starts would be very different to having just a few individuals take some extra time off if their country goes deep in an internaitonal summer tourney.

RoyH1

Ridiculous competition for European clubs. I can understand it mattering more to sides from other federations. I suppose it'll pay more money.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Here's all the teams that have reached the Ro16 from 2020-21 to 2023-24 that would have been comparable (and eligible) and their 4-season performances:

Salzburg: Group Stage / Round of 16 / Group Stage / Group Stage
Ajax: Group Stage / Round of 16 / Group Stage / Not Qualified
Brugge: Group Stage / Group Stage / Round of 16 / Not Qualified
FCK: Not Qualified / Not Qualified / Group Stage / Round of 16
PSV: Not Qualified / Play-off Round / Play-off Round / Round of 16
Lille: Not Qualified / Round of 16 / Not Qualified / Not Qualified

Salzburg is the only team that has consistently made the group stage and no team has reached Ro16 more than once.

As "underwhelming" as Salzburg might be they are the best performer outside the 5 leagues with two teams and PSG.
I actually like the fact that a random wildcard like Salzburg make the list - in most 4 year periods Ajax probably would have made it but its done on merit so who can argue

SouthMancRed

Cheimoon's Fault
Chelsea and Man City as England's representatives for a totally manufactured competition seems right actually.

Rnd898

Supports
Chelsea
Ridiculous competition for European clubs. I can understand it mattering more to sides from other federations. I suppose it'll pay more money.
The money is actually quite significant. Just participation is said to guarantee 50M€ per club and that figure will scale upwards based on performance with the tournament winner reportedly earning up to a 100M€. Because of the amount of money involved I've got a feeling most clubs, even the European ones, will end up taking it quite seriously.

On paper I quite like the concept of a large-scale intercontinental club tournament but the scheduling is going to be a huge nightmare and sooner or later the overloaded players are going to end up paying the price.

PSV

Would be hilarious to give Auckland City €50m, sets them up nicely for the next 4 years to get the next €50m.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
The money is actually quite significant. Just participation is said to guarantee 50M€ per club and that figure will scale upwards based on performance with the tournament winner reportedly earning up to a 100M€. Because of the amount of money involved I've got a feeling most clubs, even the European ones, will end up taking it quite seriously.

On paper I quite like the concept of a large-scale intercontinental club tournament but the scheduling is going to be a huge nightmare and sooner or later the overloaded players are going to end up paying the price.
Yeah, the clubs are definitely going to be taking it seriously. It is essentially another CL injection of cash in the year they qualify.

As for the concept, I don't mind the idea if it allows the South American teams to get in a bit more cash so that they can keep their players for longer. My issue is why does this have to have 32 club? For me it should've been 8-16 clubs. This whole letting everybody have a go just dilutes everything- I mean just look at the Euros. At a 16 team tournament every game mattered, now the games only really matter from the KO stage, but even then you still have mismatches in the first KO.

RoyH1

Is it really that much? Holy shit, no wonder some Barsa talking heads were mentioning as an extra economic lever for them.

MancunianAngels

Supports
FC United
Yeah, the clubs are definitely going to be taking it seriously. It is essentially another CL injection of cash in the year they qualify.

As for the concept, I don't mind the idea if it allows the South American teams to get in a bit more cash so that they can keep their players for longer. My issue is why does this have to have 32 club? For me it should've been 8-16 clubs. This whole letting everybody have a go just dilutes everything- I mean just look at the Euros. At a 16 team tournament every game mattered, now the games only really matter from the KO stage, but even then you still have mismatches in the first KO.
An unseeded two legged play off before the tournament to take it from 32 to 16 would be ace.

Imagine an away game against Boca or River Plate.

That being said, I don't actually see much wrong with the current format of the Club World Cup. Maybe add an extra two teams so everyone plays a quarter final.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
Is it really that much? Holy shit, no wonder some Barsa talking heads were mentioning as an extra economic lever for them.
That‘s half an Antony every four years. Not bad.

Rnd898

Supports
Chelsea
Yep, overall the prize money for the whole tournament is 2.5 billion euros.

Cal?

CR7 fan

32 and 16 only make a difference of ONE game for the finalists.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
I actually like the general concept of this tournament but increasing all of a sudden from 7 clubs to 32 is a bit much - a 16 team tournament is more than.enough

padr81

Supports
Man City
I actually like the general concept of this tournament but increasing all of a sudden from 7 clubs to 32 is a bit much - a 16 team tournament is more than.enough
The money would be too much split between 16 every 4 years. It would make Bayern, Real etc.. (the teams who are guaranteed to be at the business end every 4 years) practically untouchable.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
The money would be too much split between 16 every 4 years. It would make Bayern, Real etc.. (the teams who are guaranteed to be at the business end every 4 years) practically untouchable.
Half the teams = half the money

Rnd898

Supports
Chelsea
Yeah, 16 teams would be better.

That way the clubs would have to actually win the top competition for their continent to qualify, instead of just being handed a spot because of some coefficient ranking. For example the participants from Europe and South America would just be the four UCL and four Libertadores winners from 2021-2024. Only if the same club wins multiple times within the qualifying period, then the extra spot could either be given to the losing finalist that year or the club with the highest ranking. 12 clubs from Europe seems a bit too much and basically guarantees qualification for certain clubs (ie. PSG, Bayern) whether they've actually won anything or not.

But it's not exactly rocket science why they've decided to go with 32 clubs. With FIFA the answer is always money.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
32 and 16 only make a difference of ONE game for the finalists.
Yeah, but not for the viewer and also the quality of the initial games. Having so many reduces the jepody.

Cal?

CR7 fan
Yeah, but not for the viewer and also the quality of the initial games. Having so many reduces the jepody.
Who cares about the viewers? FIFA? :lol:

I'm surprised they didn't go with 48 to match the World Cup.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
It's going to be amazing when arsenal or Liverpool or Barca or Bayer Leverkusen win the cl next year and don't get to go to this