New Club World Cup format

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
Players that win the league will never get a day off again.

I wish FiFA would feck off meddling

Stookie

Nurse bell end
They’re just going to suck the life out of football. I think if it was actually anything for the good of the game then these ideas wouldn’t be so bad but it’s just about ££££. That’s it.

Abizzz

Apparently there are continents full of people who love football every minute of every day of the year and they are more important than the people who loved football in the past. So those who have fleeced us for decades are now moving on to more lucrative people to fleece.

At this point I just hate everything about fifa, uefa, FA etc. They've ruined such a nice thing. Now we have paid posters on football forums doing propaganda and paid fake fans. They introduce VAR like filming something and repeating it isn't a 130 year old technology and enough people actually eat all the shit they are throwing to them. No wonder they are so smug.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
If it means that Northern Ireland have a better chance of qualifying for a world cup then I am all for it!

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
Who cares about player health, or tradition, or competitive integrity? Not Fifa nor Uefa.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
More football, bigger football tournaments just equals more opportunity for income in the form of bribes, selling tv rights, commercial income, pushing merchandise etc. Nevermind time off for the players.

Cooked Hen

I've also been wondering about this and why so little info, i presumed it would be the league winner of each of the 32 countries that would participate.

Rnd898

Supports
Chelsea
If they make it so the tournament starts near the end of June or early July, the participating European clubs could just treat it like a competitive pre-season tournament before the actual season starts. For that purpose it might not even be a bad idea and would just add a bit of extra spice in the pre-season calendar every four years for the ones who qualify.

Though knowing FIFA the Club World Cup will start a couple weeks after the 24/25 club season ends and last a whole month so by the time it's over the players won't have enough time for a holiday, let alone a proper pre-season, before the start of the next season. So basically the same schedule as the regular international summer tournaments.

Bertie Wooster

It's getting ridiculous.

I know all the 'developing' footballing continents - and smaller nations in Europe and South America - want more and more spots available so more of their national teams / club sides can qualify for all these club and international tournaments.

And that obviously fits in fine with the money obsessed people making the decisions - and also guarantees getting voted back in if you give the majority of nations what they want in bigger tournaments equalling more opportunities to qualify.

But at some point some consideration is going to have to be given to how so many matches is going to start diluting the quality. Not just because the standard needed to qualify reduces the more teams there are involved. But also, and more importantly, they're going to push the top players way too far with both club and international calendars ever increasing and, no matter how much they're paid, there's only so much their bodies can take in terms of injury / performing at optimum level.

At some point, the less is more, quality v quantity, needs some consideration rather than just greedily adding more, more, more.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Some clubs could be forced to stack on additional squad depth for the sake of it or just altogether send academies to play these quasi tournaments.

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea
Chelsea thanks the Hood for more money in the bank. The corrupt bastard.

edcunited1878

It's a pure money grab. More games mean more broadcast and content to monetize. The players have zero say in it and are the sacrificial lambs that help line FIFAs pockets.

They should expand World Cup squads, but not sure they've thought that far ahead.

FIFA sees how much money CL makes and want to get in that cash pit. UEFA sees how much money and interest Euro Championships make, they then try to make international friendlies more competitive and monetize so they create UEFA Nations League. It's all for more money. They don't need more money, they need to preserve the quality and health of the players and teams. Plus, they need to focus on their own house like referees and executive voting process.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2025_FIFA_Club_World_Cup

I feel like FIFA haven't really thought the 2025 Club World Cup through. I was suprised to see that we (Man Utd) are currently in a qualifying spot, although we'll have to actually have a decent European campaign next year (and actually qualify for Europe this year).

There is a very real possibility that the 12 European teams will be;

Man City (Q), Bayern, Real Madrid (Q), PSG, Liverpool, Inter, Leipzig, Chelsea, (Q) Utd (doubt), Roma, Dortmund, Barca... United, Dortmund and Barca aren't exactly guaranteed a spot and could be replaced with other teams, (Atletico, Sevilla, Napoli, etc. Arsenal also have a chance although they're a bit further down)

But yeah, so Europe's 12 spots will be 4 or 5 English teams, 1 or 2 German teams, 1 to 3 Spanish teams, 1 French team, 1 to 3 Italian teams. Not exactly the greatest representation across Europe when they're all from 5 countries, but actually nearly half are from England.

But it's even worse in South America. South America get 6 spaces, but these will all or almost all be Brazilian teams.

Football is a sport primarily a Europe and South American sport. They've expanded the Club World Cup to 32 teams but could end up with nearly all of Europe and South America not represented

And the funniest thing is, I bet 99% of English fans don't care

Last edited:

rcoobc

Tell you what though, it's going to be massive in Brazil with the 4 or 5 biggest Brazilian clubs playing European teams.

Chipper

Adulterer.
First thoughts was that it's just like pre season friendlies these days. I'd assume we and most clubs would treat it similarly.

This past summer we played Lyon, Arsenal, Real Madrid, Dortmund, Lens and Athletic Bilbao. It's like that International Champions Cup thingy that was around for a few years, but with the name FIFA attached to it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Champions_Cup

noodlehair

"It's like..."
I've not got any sympathy really with teams having to play more games, as they could just use more players, which can easily be facilitated by not paying the ones they have such obscene amounts of money.

On the other hand I feel like everyone will just get fatigued with watching football. I definitely feel like I need a break from it after every world cup, and I'm not sure I care about a club world cup. The world cup is interesting because of things like the element of patriotism/passion and not being able to just buy players from other teams.

Don_Johan14

Supports
F.C.Barcelona

I feel like FIFA haven't really thought the 2025 Club World Cup through. I was suprised to see that we (Man Utd) are currently in a qualifying spot, although we'll have to actually have a decent European campaign next year (and actually qualify for Europe this year).

Man City (Q), Bayern, Real Madrid (Q), PSG, Liverpool, Inter, Leipzig, Chelsea, (Q) Utd (doubt), Roma, Dortmund, Barca... United, Dortmund and Barca aren't exactly guaranteed a spot and could be replaced with other teams, (Atletico, Sevilla, Napoli, etc. Arsenal also have a chance although they're a bit further down)

But yeah, so Europe's 12 spots will be 4 or 5 English teams, 1 or 2 German teams, 1 to 3 Spanish teams, 1 French team, 1 to 3 Italian teams. Not exactly the greatest representation across Europe when they're all from 5 countries, but actually nearly half are from England.

But it's even worse in South America. South America get 6 spaces, but these will all or almost all be Brazilian teams.

Football is a sport primarily a Europe and South American sport. They've expanded the Club World Cup to 32 teams but could end up with nearly all of Europe and South America not represented

I had read that only a maximum of 2 teams per country can go.

Rnd898

Supports
Chelsea
Yes, but that rule doesn't apply to clubs who've qualified as champions so from Europe currently Chelsea, Man City and Real Madrid.

England could easily end up having a total of 4 participants.

abundance

Supports
Inter
Correct ad far as I know.
It can only be more than two if they're CL winners in 20-25.

So, Chelsea and City have it locked for Premiers teams, Arsenal/Utd/Liverpool/Newcastle/whatevs can only go if they win the Champions this season or the next.

Victorian values

Supports
Linfield

It isn't about broadening the game, if it was then there would be teams from Hungary, Portugal, Greece etc, but the clubs with the global appeal and player's with high numbers of Instagram followers etc to maximise revenue, and this in turn will boost the coffers of the owners of clubs involved.
I'm old enough to remember cup final grandstand and it's a knockout etc, and still prefer the FA Cup to the Champions and other rich clubs league, and to be honest, seldom watch the final as Saturday evening's in the summer I usually have better things to do, but normally make a day of the FA Cup final (though it is nowhere near as good since the Twin Towers were knocked down and it was moved from the traditional 3pm kick-off

rcoobc

Correct ad far as I know.
It can only be more than two if they're CL winners in 20-25.

So, Chelsea and City have it locked for Premiers teams, Arsenal/Utd/Liverpool/Newcastle/whatevs can only go if they win the Champions this season or the next.
Oh fair enough, ignore everything I've said then :lol:

Although weirdly, according to the wiki, the 24/25 cl winner isn't allocated a space

Pintu

Oh fair enough, ignore everything I've said then :lol:

Although weirdly, according to the wiki, the 24/25 cl winner isn't allocated a space
It is included in the next cycle…

The theoretilcal maximum per country is 2 but it can go up to 4 in case 4 different teams from the same association win the CL each year… it cannot in any case exceed 4.

3 different Brazilian clubs did win the last 3 Copa Libertadores. If the next edition is won by a fourth brazilian club, there will 2 spot left for the highest ranked eligible clubs, which means the highest ranked non-Brazilian clubs.

Regarding Europe. Arsenal can make it 3 english clubs by winning the UCL. Barcelona and Atletico are still in a fight to earn the second Spanish spot alongside Real… If a club already qualified wins it (Real, City, Bayern, Inter, Porto…) then a spot will open up for Ajax. Going above Ajax wouldn’t be enough for Napoli, they’d have to get above Juventus, and then Juventus would be out and Ajax still get in…

Last edited:

RaddyRed

Supports
Henrik Larsson
Hopefully the European clubs just send a mix of youth and reserve players and show this competition the respect it deserves.

Fifa are determined to wreck the World Cup for money and have now switched their attention to ruining club football.

rcoobc

It is included in the next cycle…
So let's say Aston Villa win the 2025 Champions League in May. They don't get to go to the June 2025 Club World Cup, but instead get to go to the 2029 Club World Cup.

By which point they've probably been relegated.

I really hope that happens

Traub

So let's say Aston Villa win the 2025 Champions League in May. They don't get to go to the June 2025 Club World Cup, but instead get to go to the 2029 Club World Cup.

By which point they've probably been relegated.

I really hope that happens
Don’t worry, after the ‘success’ (financially of course) of this club World Cup, it will be shifted to every 2 years.

This is FIFA’s play at the champions league money, but I don’t see it holding from a footballing perspective. The big clubs will use it as the pre-season friendly tournament

always_hoping

So the Last club world cup under the 7 team format before it goes to 32 teams. Had little or no interest in the former and will even less for this expanded version.

Guy Incognito

Surely players reps/unions have something to say about this?

So much money swirling around the game, too many games on TV. Bubble will hopefully burst.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Wait so what games do Napoli have to win to qualify?

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
I assume clubs will get big money, so another way to feck up smaller leagues. Great.

sdb4884

I used to like Gianni Infantino when he first started he seemed like a level headed football official after the tumultuous time after Sepp Blatter but he very quickly turned into an egotistical maniac who seems determined to suck the life out of football. Honestly I always liked the Club World Cup in December it was a nice little cherry on top a club could strive for at the end of a successful year if they won the league and the Champions League for instance now it's completely ruined. As a Football Manager player i played through this tournament & it wasn't enjoyable either it was so long and bloated. I would be really against playing in it myself If I was a player as it's already hard enough to get time off in the off-season with tournaments every two years (Euros and World Cups etc). I really hope clubs send weaker sides to this new tournament and send a message.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
I used to like Gianni Infantino when he first started he seemed like a level headed football official after the tumultuous time after Sepp Blatter but he very quickly turned into an egotistical maniac who seems determined to suck the life out of football. Honestly I always liked the Club World Cup in December it was a nice little cherry on top a club could strive for at the end of a successful year if they won the league and the Champions League for instance now it's completely ruined. As a Football Manager player i played through this tournament & it wasn't enjoyable either it was so long and bloated. I would be really against playing in it myself If I was a player as it's already hard enough to get time off in the off-season with tournaments every two years (Euros and World Cups etc). I really hope clubs send weaker sides to this new tournament and send a message.
IMO since he took over, Infantino has been all about change for the sake of change, and finding solutions to problems that don't exist.

Not a fan of Blatter but at least he seemed to understand the idea that "if it ain't broken, don't fix it".

PSV

Wait so what games do Napoli have to win to qualify?
Right now it's Inter (guaranteed, as noone can catch them on points) and Juventus (2nd on points) that is in line for the two Italy slots. If Napoli or Lazio wins this years competition they take Juventus' spot.

If neither wins the competition Napoli have to get past Juventus on points, with napkin math I'd say they need semifinal or better. Lazio can't catch Juventus on points.

sdb4884

IMO since he took over, Infantino has been all about change for the sake of change, and finding solutions to problems that don't exist.

Not a fan of Blatter but at least he seemed to understand the idea that "if it ain't broken, don't fix it".
True Blatter seems like more level headed than Gio.