New crop of norwegians on trail

LouisRocca

Just read an article that 3 norwegians are going on trail later this year. We've had some good talent comming over from Norway in the last years, Eikrem, Hussain and not least Josh King. It would be interessting to see what kind of quality this crop has.
The players are comming in the same in the same way that the last, having attended Solskjærs academy back in Kristiansund this summer. I just love this, having Ole to scout the to 25 14 yrs in norway each summer. And this is talents that are not just top footballers, but players that have good attitude and willingness to work hard to be the best.

The article, Skal trene med Manchester United | Aftenposten.no , only named one player, Sondre Tronstad 14yr, from IK Start.
This is a smal player as far as I can tell. He's said to have a great attitude, and footballsmartness. reminds me a bit of Eikrem. I do not know anything more about this player, but I will try to find out more.

The players are gonna come over in October, and are gonna watch Liverpool-United. Sondre Tronstad is a Liverpool-fan along with the rest of his family, but so was Ole...

Chirag

Euro '08 League Winner
Thanks for this please keep us updated..

Chris H

Video Posting God
This is a small player as far as I can tell. He's said to have a great attitude, and footballsmartness. reminds me a bit of Eikrem.
I like this term better than that god-awful"footballing brain" nonsense that keeps getting trotted out. But it must remain a compound word - I know how much you Norwegians like your compounds, and I see no reason to split this one.

Also I can confirm that some Norwegians look like Hobbits. My ex-girlfriend's mother was very hobbit-like, as was her grandmother. And her brother, though taller, bore a striking resemblance to the actor who played Meriadoc (Merry) in the films.

Longlivekeano

We have always focused on scouting players with teachnique, natural ability and talent. hence in youth team games, our squads are generally smaller in physique compared to the other giants. Talent and genius is in-born but physique can always be developed by diet, gym, weights, sports science and special fitness training program.

Hence, our geniuses Georgie Best and Giggsy as 16-17 year olds were paper thin. Perhaps Giggsy might have been shunned from Citeh cause he was too frail. We'd never know. I really think that Eikrem will go on to have some 1st team playing time with us. Fergie and Ole seems to think he can make it.

lysglimt

Scout
I really think that Eikrem will go on to have some 1st team playing time with us. Fergie and Ole seems to think he can make it.
In his current form - he might have a good career. Surely - he must be our most improved player over the last 12 months. For 2/3 of last season, he looked pretty basic, but now he has been one of our best performers in the reserves.

LouisRocca

I've just got the names on the other two norwegians that are comming over on trail in October.
They are Mats Dæhli (FC LYN(the same club that "sold" us Mikel...))Mats Dæhli tatt ut pÃ¥ StatoilHydro Fotballakademi and Herman Stengel (Stabæk FK) Stabæk Fotball > G15Stallen .

Both players are playing 1 and 2 years above their agegroup. I don't have much information about them, but Mats Dæhli are a midfielder. Herman Stengel are a striker, and are described as a creative attacker, and a natural goalscorer. In the matchreports I've read he scored 3 goals against 2 years older players, and 1 in the other. In both reports he was voted MOtM.
I will come back with more information if I get some.

oskarutd

I've just got the names on the other two norwegians that are comming over on trail in October.
They are Mats Dæhli (FC LYN(the same club that "sold" us Mikel...))Mats Dæhli tatt ut pÃ¥ StatoilHydro Fotballakademi and Herman Stengel (Stabæk FK) Stabæk Fotball > G15Stallen .

Both players are playing 1 and 2 years above their agegroup. I don't have much information about them, but Mats Dæhli are a midfielder. Herman Stengel are a striker, and are described as a creative attacker, and a natural goalscorer. In the matchreports I've read he scored 3 goals against 2 years older players, and 1 in the other. In both reports he was voted MOtM.
Great work!
Thanks!

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
In his current form - he might have a good career. Surely - he must be our most improved player over the last 12 months. For 2/3 of last season, he looked pretty basic, but now he has been one of our best performers in the reserves.
Yeah, he looks stronger and more confident now. I don't think he ever looked 'basic' thought. His passing ability, vision and intelligence were always evident.

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
Is it just me or does he look a lot taller too?

Might he be a case where the infamous "need to bulk up" strategy is paying dividends?
Magnus skyter i været

He was 1,64m when he arrived in Manchester, now he's 1,8. He's grown 5 cms this year alone and according to doctors he won't be fully grown for another few years.

Another thing; his breathing is much improved after a nose op this summer.

samabachan

Football is about glory, it is about doing things
Magnus skyter i været

He was 1,64m when he arrived in Manchester, now he's 1,8. He's grown 5 cms this year alone and according to doctors he won't be fully grown for another few years.

Wow. Nearly six foot! I wouldn't have believed you if you'd told me that would be the case when he arrived.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Magnus skyter i været

Cool. If he's grown that tall that quickly without turning into a total bean-pole, chances are the whole "bulking up" bit will come very easily.

Interesting about the nose op. He's always had a slightly odd looking face, was it because he was born with a cleft palate? If he's had to overcome that, as well as diabetes, you've got to be impressed at him going on to become a professional athlete. A lot to be admired in what he's achieved already.

pillory

If any of you Noggies could translate the article linked to by Elliot it would be much appreciated. After my kind words about you cnuts in chat gen, I reckon it's the least you can do :)
Don't have time to do it all, but here are the most interesting points:

- The doctors reckon he'll stop at 185 cm when he's 21.
- He's had an operation on his nose since he could only breathe through one nostril, which must have been quite debilitating.
- He grew much bigger, stronger, fitter and smarter during last season, according to himself and OGS.
- OGS expects him to dominate for the reserves this season, and thinks he's better than Magnus himself thinks.
- He might go on loan after Christmas. He fancies Belgium, Holland or Molde.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Don't have time to do it all, but here are the most interesting points:

- The doctors reckon he'll stop at 185 cm when he's 21.
- He's had an operation on his nose since he could only breathe through one nostril, which must have been quite debilitating.
- He grew much bigger, stronger, fitter and smarter during last season, according to himself and OGS.
- OGS expects him to dominate for the reserves this season, and thinks he's better than Magnus himself thinks.
Nice one, thanks.

Laphroaig

More details:

- An interesting phrasing by OGS: "MWE now understands his tasks better."
- (Oh shite, you'd already done that part, I didn't see it) OGS says that Magnus is doing incredibly well, and that he is more pleased with his performances than the lad himself is, who is hard on himself.
- The reasons for his preferences are that he enjoys the type of football played in B and N, and that his childhood dream was to play for Molde.

- MWE feels it's more realistic to hope to get some first team football after seeing Macheda's exploits, but is in no hurry. His goal is to get an opportunity the next season (10/11)

Laphroaig

I had no idea we had three noggies. Did Hussein join in the summer? Which one of the youth teams is he playing for?

The Wizard

I had no idea we had three noggies. Did Hussein join in the summer? Which one of the youth teams is he playing for?
He is playing for the U18's, he also played in the Milk Cup this year. I'm not sure but he might have been around the bench or had a few minutes with the reserves too I can't remember, anyone else know this?

He's a very good footballer, definitely one to keep an eye on. In fact the 3 Norwegians all look like huge prospects to me, bodes well for the future of the Norwegian national team, well if they didn't lump it up the pitch all the time that is ;)

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
He is playing for the U18's, he also played in the Milk Cup this year. I'm not sure but he might have been around the bench or had a few minutes with the reserves too I can't remember, anyone else know this?
He's a very good footballer, definitely one to keep an eye on. In fact the 3 Norwegians all look like huge prospects to me, bodes well for the future of the Norwegian national team, well if they didn't lump it up the pitch all the time that is ;)
No, he hasn't been in any reserve squad and probably won't be for a long time as, despite making an impact, he's still finding his feet at academy level.

Decotron

Starting to get excited about Eikrem. Obviously hes a late developer. The skills have always been there but over the last 3 seasons he has at times looked so fragile I think we all questioned if he'd make it. Technically hes easily one of if not the best at reserve/academy level, Petrucci/Brady might have something to say about that but theres no denying Eikrem has enormous potential now that hes catching up physically. The academy coaches deserve massive credit if this lad does make the step up. Not every club would have been as patient with him.

Laphroaig

Having OGS as the reserves' coach is quite nice, because of the Norwegians having a more open and relaxed relationship with the media, coupled with a huge interest in English football and United in particular. The result is quite frequent enlightening interviews with OGS.

Here's some more opinions from and on the young noggies. I'll translate some of it soon.

Laphroaig

The kids speak:
- It's a dream to be here. Ask any kid in Norway, or the entire World. Everyone would want to be in our position, says Eikrem and looks joyfully around.

- I think this is the best place to be for my development. We'll see how far I'll go, says Eztaz.

- The target is to win a place in the first team, of course, but it'll be hard, says Joshua.

Joshua and Eztaz have their moms living with them. Joshua and Magnus lvies in the same house in Sale, in the middle between the training grounds and the city centre, while Eztaz lives in an apartment right by. (Right by what? Eikrem and King? The city? The training facilities?) All three of them are uncertain whtat their futures hold, but they fully agree about one thing: They never regret leaving home.

- You do think that perhaps you should've stayed at home, but it was completely right for me to go. I'm sure some in my family would say I left too early, but they supported me, and I'm very thankful for that. says Magnus.
OGS on the three of them:
Hussein
- Paul McGuinnes said he made nine months of progression in only three months. He's a very intelligent footballer, with good technique and stamina. It would be good if he develops enough to earn his chance for the reserves during the season. I first saw him when he was 14. Since then he's developed enormously what was then his weaknesses. His stamina (løpskapasitet?) is bigger now. Nils Johan Semb (former coach for the Norwegian national team, and u21 as well I think) says he's comfortably been the best player for the Norwegian u16s and u17s. An exciting player!

King
- He's a lot like John Carew. Same type of football, same type of build. Same type of everything, really. I know John well. John said that if he's been as dedicated as me, he'd be among the three best strikers in the World. He'd rather live life a little, and focus on the football 90%. I will make sure Joshua go for it 100%. Then we have a future striker for the national side.

Eikrem
- Magnus has taken a very, very big step this summer. He listened to our advices, and did as we said he should. Now he's back as one of the leaders of the reserve team. So this season he's one of those the team is built around. That benefits hisdevelopment too, he's started very well this season. (Appearently a number of dutch clubs want to take him on loan, but for now he'll stay in Manchester.)

Last season eight reserve players got their first team debut. Will any of the Norwegians get theirs this season?
– No, I doubt it. But they've all made great leaps forward, says Solskjær.

datura

Great work Laphroaig, as you say there's a lot more substance to their interviews than you get in most Uk press articles. All the players seem very level headed and good attitudes too.

It appears probable that both Eikrem and King will be involved tomorrow against Wolves as they have both been given squad numbers. The likelihood would be that if they were included it would be from the bench though.

LouisRocca

just bumping this thread.
The 3 young noggies are suppose to come over this weekend, and attened the Liverpool-United game on sunday before their trial begins next week.
It would be nice if anyone of you gets any information about their trial.
I will write more here if I see something.

Decotron

just bumping this thread.
The 3 young noggies are suppose to come over this weekend, and attened the Liverpool-United game on sunday before their trial begins next week.
It would be nice if anyone of you gets any information about their trial.
I will write more here if I see something.
Any idea what club/clubs they are from?

LouisRocca

Any idea what club/clubs they are from?
Here is the clubs they are from...

I just found an article about Herman Stengel, he made his U18 debut for Stabekk last month. Not bad since he have just turned 14 August 26th.

LouisRocca

I've just heard some news about the noggies that was on trial last week.

They trained with our U15, and got some of their coaching from Brian McClair.
They played an internal match that the trialists team won 2-1. Mads Daehli scored one and had the assist for the other.
They also had a match against Preston U16 that United won 4-3. Herman Stengel had one goal in this match.

All three players are invited back to Manchester in January.