New deal for Mata

Think about it. Fergie let go of Keane who was one of our best players ever. A born leader and a warrior who ran through walls for him and won it all. Once he couldn’t back up his mouth with performances on the pitch anymore he was gone. No sentiment. Mata has failed here. He just shows up smiling cashing his big money and contributing nothing whatsoever. He’s a stabilising prescense in our worst dressing room in living memory. Yay. It’s just chronic waste whatever way you want to look at it. A waste of money and a waste of a space in the squad that could go to an improving and hungry player. We used to be a club that succeeded by keeping the talent moving and through astute talent spotting. If you failed or were always injured you’d be sold on the cheap and we would try something else until something worked. We just add more problems to the existing problems it seems.
Exactly. Other players might actually resent Mata that he is earning so much money and doesn’t need to play. I’m sure there are plenty in the squad being paid less than him.

It’s not good for anyones mentality to have someone in the team who can’t contribute. As you say, it is taking the place of a hungry player who could push someone for a spot.

Bestietom

What's this "Mata offers a lot to younger players". What does he do, dress up in a clowns outfit and make shapes from balloons, to keep them amused.
We have plenty of players here that can offer young players as much or more than Mata can offer. They only have to look at Ronaldo or Bruno and take notice. But I suppose for 130K a week We would all want to stay around.

youngrell

I’m sure Mata would prefer to be on the field, he’s not just hanging around for the sake of it.

We shouldn’t have renewed his contract but that can be said for a lot of other players in our squad.

gajender

I’m sure Mata would prefer to be on the field, he’s not just hanging around for the sake of it.

We shouldn’t have renewed his contract but that can be said for a lot of other players in our squad.
His decision to renew with United clearly shows otherwise playing football hardly seem to be priority for him .

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Exactly. Other players might actually resent Mata that he is earning so much money and doesn’t need to play. I’m sure there are plenty in the squad being paid less than him.

It’s not good for anyones mentality to have someone in the team who can’t contribute. As you say, it is taking the place of a hungry player who could push someone for a spot.
Then they're morons.

His decision to renew with United clearly shows otherwise playing football hardly seem to be priority for him .
What are you basing this on exactly? Who knows what ole said to him when renewed. You definitely don't.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
I'm not saying put him as first team coach. No way. I meant giving him a chance at U15 or U18 level like the rest of them.

I just think he'll make a good coach.
But why should we give a washed up player a year of salary (which is way higher then that of a gold standard coach) to ensure his services as an inexperienced coach whose on the job learning?

spiriticon

But why should we give a washed up player a year of salary (which is way higher then that of a gold standard coach) to ensure his services as an inexperienced coach whose on the job learning?
We don't have to offer a crazy salary surely? He gets what we offer which would be a fair wage for a player/coach. If he doesn't want it, he goes somewhere else.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
We don't have to offer a crazy salary surely? He gets what we offer which would be a fair wage for a player/coach. If he doesn't want it, he goes somewhere else.
I am pretty sure that he is paid as a player not as a youth coach

spiriticon

I am pretty sure that he is paid as a player not as a youth coach
For now yes, but that deal is expiring this year. The next year, anything goes.

If Mata agrees cheap deal and agrees he will only be backup in case of injuries to the first team, he's welcome to stay. If he demands 200k a week, he can pack his bags.

I've always seen Mata as a sensible guy so I'm sure it's possible to talk this through. I'm also assuming he wants to coach. He could very well want to be a pundit in that case there's not much point in keeping him on.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
The coaching angle is a fan narrative which is heard when similar players at different clubs get contract extension.

He's just a united player that was offered a contract because the manager wanted to do so. The same manager was a massive hoarder of players.

He played just fine early last season before he went to Spain to his mourn his mother (wasn't he man of the match twice?). It's not unthinkable he could have had some value as a squad player if our squad wasn't so bloated. Which isn't Mata's fault but rather the hoarder manager's that's too scared of making hard choices.

He was decent last night and he was played completely out of position vs YB.

People constantly say he's finished, and it's obvious he's not at peak but whenever he has actually played he's done well enough to prove he's not finished. I guess the same people are mostly jealous of what he earns despite rarely featuring (as if being a pro footballer doesn't require effort at 33) and watch too many shitty fan channels/Mark Goldshite.
I have to debate that. I agree the squad needs mixed personalities but it doesn’t need passengers. The coaches are there to provide guidance, motivation and advice, that is not the job of the players.

When you can only have a 25 man squad it’s important everyone has their role and can contribute. As I said, you can get someone with an equally nice personality as Mata who will provide good vibes to the squad but can still actually play football. We aren’t supposed to be a retirement home or charity.
He's done well enough to be player 23-26 whenever he's actually played these last 2 years. The problem is he was player 30 because we had a massively bloated squad. He really hasn't played worse than the other fringe squad players, James, Lingard, VDB, Williams, what have you.

For now yes, but that deal is expiring this year. The next year, anything goes.

If Mata agrees cheap deal and agrees he will only be backup in case of injuries to the first team, he's welcome to stay. If he demands 200k a week, he can pack his bags.

I've always seen Mata as a sensible guy so I'm sure it's possible to talk this through.
You have very strange fantasies. In what universe would he demand 200k when he's on less and already took a pay cut for his current deal? It's as dumb a hypothetical as saying if Pogba pisses in everyone cereal we shouldn't offer him a contract. It doesn't happen (although it would explain our current form).

spiriticon

You have very strange fantasies. In what universe would he demand 200k when he's on less and already took a pay cut for his current deal? It's as dumb a hypothetical as saying if Pogba pisses in everyone cereal we shouldn't offer him a contract. It doesn't happen (although it would explain our current form).
I don't think he would demand 200k either. I don't think he is even worth paying 100k a week. But 30, 40, 50k? Yeah why the hell not.

It's all relative.

That said, there is nothing about wierd player behaviour at United that would surprise me these days.