New deal for Mata

Real Name

No harm in that if its not on big wages. On the other hand he plays so rarely he's been probably kept to keep the spirits in the dressing room and write his blogs.

Nick7

Good squad player to have around. Wasn’t there a rumour that we wanted him to take up a staff role at the end of this deal?

jackal&hyde

Very good. If there is one player you want to keep around even if his on the pitch contribution is not what it used to be, it's him.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
good news, he has a lot to give in terms of passing on to the youngsters.

GioF

As long as the wages are aligned with his place in the squad this is a good move. Great technique still and in a tight game with defenses sitting deep can still find the right pass to create a chance.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
I'm not too bothered. One year deal for a squad player and he's a great person to have around the club.

DickDastardly

Not my money. Don't give a feck.

What is good about this is that's he's a fecking great character, a good person and a great spokeperson for Manchester United!

It would be wonderful if he could end his career with us and become a great coach for us.

Role model on and off the pitch.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Fk me what's wrong with people, there's a reason he's been offered an extra year and it's about more than being on the field. It's probably in the article but no, who needs to read those, when we have headlines and feelings....

Great news. Hope he sticks around after.

Strelok

Tbh this deal makes no sense to me at all. We hardly find any game time for VDB and just bought Sancho. Hannibal, Amad also need to play. How many minutes he'd get this season?

El Jefe

Good news? Its very much pointless. Mata will pretty much only play in domestic cup games. If everyone is fit he won't make the bench most of the time.

He should've been binned 3 years ago on a free but somehow he's still here.

People saying he's good to have around the squad wouldn't have kept that same energy if Ashley Young's contract kept getting extended.

lysglimt

Scout
he is a good squad-player to have - he is only 33 and he is probably great for the kids

bsCallout

Is he doing his badges? Good to keep around the squad, obviously should be a reduced salary which was reported to be the case early on.

afrocentricity

Fk me what's wrong with people, there's a reason he's been offered an extra year and it's about more than being on the field. It's probably in the article but no, who needs to read those, when we have headlines and feelings....

Great news. Hope he sticks around after.
It's not in the article but here another one for those that are interested:
Manchester United ‘line up new role for Juan Mata’ as contract offer comes to light.
https://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/1449588/Manchester-United-news-Juan-Mata-contract-role

Last edited:

Zoo

Good move, remember he was away from the club for much of last season for personal reasons and we missed having him as an option on the bench.

OverratedOpinion

I love Mata and he can still do a decent job occasionally but his minutes should have gone to Amad and Mejbri.

CanadianUtd

Supports
Vancouver, Boston
Not my money. Don't give a feck.

What is good about this is that's he's a fecking great character, a good person and a great spokeperson for Manchester United!

It would be wonderful if he could end his career with us and become a great coach for us.

Role model on and off the pitch.
Yep. A lot of people don’t understand this.

Glad he’s staying. Like you said, glazers money and he’s a great role model for everyone on the team. And he’s quite useful cover for injuries, condensed scheduling, as well as a late sub every now and then in the right circumstances.

Very intelligent/high IQ, looks like he’ll have a future for us on the managerial/coaching side of things down the line!

Adam-Utd

Deserves a lifetime contract as far as i'm concerned. Probably the nicest man in football.

OleBoiii

Probably an important dressing room presence. I bet he's a killer lead singer when the boys sing in the shower.

Jokes aside, we can count our 30(+) players on one hand. It's good to have at least a few old timers around.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
I hoped I'd get in before the negative comments but no such luck

Good stuff, he's one of the few over 30's players in the squad, by all accounts holds his peers to high standards behind the scenes and has been rumoured to be taking on a different role at the club once his playing time is over

There's literally no downside to this

Abraxas

Good to have around? I never quite understand this argument. We have a coaching team, backroom staff, a large squad, I cannot see for the life of me why it would be good to have him around if he's not going to offer anything on the playing side. He's there as a player not some kind of morale booster.

If there is not a staff role for him to take up that he wishes to go into we should not be wasting money on people that never play or when they do play offer so little you wonder why we don't just play a youngster.

Devil81

People seem to forget he missed a large chunk of last season through the ill health of his mother.

I'd have given him at least another ten games if his head was on football, Ole will have known the man and known if he was up to playing matches.

Happy for him, think he links really well with Fernandes and as long as he's happy in his squad role that's fine by me.

Bondi77

I think Bruno had his eye on the #8 jersey
I bet he is pissed off.

Red Royal

Yep. A lot of people don’t understand this.

Glad he’s staying. Like you said, glazers money and he’s a great role model for everyone on the team. And he’s quite useful cover for injuries, condensed scheduling, as well as a late sub every now and then in the right circumstances.

Very intelligent/high IQ, looks like he’ll have a future for us on the managerial/coaching side of things down the line!
Whilst it is the Glazers money, it takes away from spending those wages on another player (e.g. part fund someone we need, like Varane).

I get he is a great role model and professional etc. Plus he seems a really nice guy, but we should have let him go and strenghtened elsewhere.

Oh well, now we have him, I hope he starts every League cup and the easier FA cup games and we dont still run our first XI into the ground.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
I think Bruno had his eye on the #8 jersey
I bet he is pissed off.
Bruno wore 11 at the Euro's for Portugal, I highly doubt he gives a feck

Besides 18 is far more iconic here than 8 is