New deal for Mata

Hectic

Supports
30fps
yep. he only signed it on the condition that not a single youngster would be brought through from the academy in a position that he feels he can occupy. he also demanded that no player is allowed to run faster than him on the pitch, to stop fans complaining he is too slow.
Yeah I heard he's really weird and demanding behind the scenes. He doesn't allow any of the youth players to get haircuts as he insists on doing it himself. The ordeal takes hours and Mata insists on dance breaks every five minutes and requires them to wear a VR headset which shows a live feed from a go-pro on Mata's head of him cutting their hair in real time.

Lennon

I think it should be a backup for Bruno in the middle and no longer on the wing ... He is no longer fast enough for that. This deal is certainly a stepping stone into management or a role within the club.

Shark

@NotShark
The rumours of him being moved upstairs to a more corporate role must have been true then, as there is no way he'd receive a new contract based on his worth as a player.

Good stuff.
Why not just move him up now then? It makes little sense to still be playing someone with such little impact because he's one of the seniors. Once upon a time we had Giggs and Scholes tear teams apart at Mata's age. That should always be the standard at this club.

iamjacks

I'd like to understand the logic behind it, because I don't see it. I mean, it's not like he's being paid peanuts?

He has zero impact on our football, so I'd imagine there is some other stuff he does, I don't think know, Club ambasador?
Go and take a look at the official United YouTube channel and find the video they uploaded of all our goals last season.

You might be surprised to see how involved Mata was in these before all the personal issues curtailed his season.

I'm not saying he's going to be starting games for us, or registering double digit goals and assists, but there's certainly worse squad options and worse characters to have around a squad that is still relatively inexperienced.

Classical Mechanic

I'd have a lot more respect for the guy if he did a David Silva and went to play in La Liga for a club where he'd be genuinely useful. He's stayed for the money, he can't honestly think he'll get back into the starting eleven regularly at this stage.

To me when you take the fee and wages he's been on into account he's been a flop.
He's settled in Manchester and United have become his club. The club want him to stay for life as an ambassador.

UncleBob

Good to have around? I never quite understand this argument. We have a coaching team, backroom staff, a large squad, I cannot see for the life of me why it would be good to have him around if he's not going to offer anything on the playing side. He's there as a player not some kind of morale booster.

If there is not a staff role for him to take up that he wishes to go into we should not be wasting money on people that never play or when they do play offer so little you wonder why we don't just play a youngster.
And i don't understand all the bitching and moaning, but hey.

He has signed a one year extension, he's wanted by the club and manager, it has no impact whatsoever on our ability to sign other players. Mata never complains, he's played at the highest level for years and he's model professional that always trains well, he's set up a charity where he tries to get people involved in donating a % of their wages. How is he not the perfect player to have around players that earn obscene amounts of money at a very young age? He leads by example, both in terms of training and about the responsibility that should come with being rich, he's also in line for a role within the club when he decides to retire.

Hectic

Supports
30fps
I don't know where all this talk of £175,000 a week came from. I've read the wages being reported as £125,000 per week.

Oldyella

Good. You need one or two older head/veteran players in the squad and he seems the perfect example, well liked and a good professional.

Edit - We do need to move players on though given size of our squad, but Mata seems a good one to keep around.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Mata will join Jones and Bailly in our team of ex players who are still on our payroll

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
Good. You need one or two older head/veteran players in the squad and he seems the perfect example, well liked and a good professional.

Edit - We do need to move players on though given size of our squad, but Mata seems a good one to keep around.
We have Cavani and Matic don't we? Grant is going to join the staff.

BarstoolProphet

Fk me what's wrong with people, there's a reason he's been offered an extra year and it's about more than being on the field. It's probably in the article but no, who needs to read those, when we have headlines and feelings....

Great news. Hope he sticks around after.

This. Reports have been going around for a while that he will get an ambassadorial or coaching role once his career is finished. I bet he will retire after this season.

El Jefe

Never liked Mata tbh. Came here with a massive reputation and as a record signing. The only reason he's not seen as a flop is because there were signings after him that were even more dreadful. He's really not done much here but has been rewarded and given priviliges of new deals as if he's one of our legends. I didn't like it with DDG but at least he made massive contributions to our team.

Strelok

For those who say he's nice, a role model, great to have around etc. I'd reckon we should have signed Scholes back instead. A legend, much better with those off field values and probably still better on the field as well.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Probably going to go into coaching. The contract just is for emergency purposes I guess

Bondi77

:lol:
if that's the best you've got then my point stands
It has nothing to do with what I’ve got as it is how he feels and obviously he is a family man.
If you can’t see that then that is fine with me.

BarstoolProphet

Why does some think Matic will be the next in line? Reports have been going on for a while that United want to retain Mata for off the pitch roles after he retires. Maybe the deal is that he does on more season as a backup while preparing for said role, then retire at the end of the season to start in the new role after that. Nothing on Matic being viewed in the same way.

PoTMS

Should be on a pay as you play contract. Although, in that scenario he could probably get paid more elsewhere.

Oldyella

We have Cavani and Matic don't we? Grant is going to join the staff.
Would prefer to move Matic on than Mata tbh. Cavani fair enough he's a good example? Grant may be joining the staff but Mata has been there done it and can still contribute in games if need be, even if obviously no longer first choice. Can't believe people are upset about this.

Counterfactual

Why does some think Matic will be the next in line? Reports have been going on for a while that United want to retain Mata for off the pitch roles after he retires. Maybe the deal is that he does on more season as a backup while preparing for said role, then retire at the end of the season to start in the new role after that. Nothing on Matic being viewed in the same way.
Juan more season?

3vra

What is the point ? His contribution on the pitch is absolutely zero, he gets his chances in less important matches that could go to younger players who might have a future here and get important experience and what is the worst I would love for Bruno to have that #8 on his shirt that i can finally bought one....

and on top of that, this will cost us few mln pounds just to have him here

what i am not seeing here ?

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
He won’t play much so will probably be on reduced wages.
He is probably also a great link between our English (speaking) players and the Spanish contingent.
Has a wealth of experience, very intelligent player and person and very well respected.
If Ole and the higher ups want to keep him and may have further plans for him then that’s really good. Plus, if needed he can still play a few games.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
It has nothing to do with what I’ve got as it is how he feels and obviously he is a family man.
If you can’t see that then that is fine with me.
now I've got no idea what you're even talking about, I thought we were talking about Bruno wanting the 8 shirt? What's that got to do with him being a family man?