New deal for Mata

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Players over 30 shouldn't be offered new contracts.

People over 30 shouldn't even be offered jobs. Retire, let someone else work.

BarstoolProphet

What is the point ? His contribution on the pitch is absolutely zero, he gets his chances in less important matches that could go to younger players who might have a future here and get important experience and what is the worst I would love for Bruno to have that #8 on his shirt that i can finally bought one....

and on top of that, this will cost us few mln pounds just to have him here

what i am not seeing here ?
Coaching/ambassador/director role after he retires next season.

Bondi77

now I've got no idea what you're even talking about, I thought we were talking about Bruno wanting the 8 shirt? What's that got to do with him being a family man?
Read the post mate!
It is the number his father used to wear.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
Would prefer to move Matic on than Mata tbh. Cavani fair enough he's a good example? Grant may be joining the staff but Mata has been there done it and can still contribute in games if need be, even if obviously no longer first choice. Can't believe people are upset about this.
Been there done what? Matic though past it has done far more for us on the pitch than Mata. What has Mata exactly done? He's been very much past it since after his first full season under van Gaal.

What games would he contribute in? Games vs MK Dons? He is not going to be played in meaningful games when we have Greenwood, Sancho, James, Rashford, Lingard and would only take minutes from Elanga/Diallo.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Read the post mate!
It is the number his father used to wear.
yeah my bad I got as far as the unverified tweet and gave up

tbf even if I had read the whole thing he said the 18th is his wife's bday so I still doubt he's precious about changing numbers and again he wore 11 for Portugal which made no sense whatsoever

decorativeed

We've officially become a charity.
He's a fantastic player to have around and be able to come off the bench and rotate. He's also the type of person you want around the squad, with his experience and personality. I don't see what the problem is.

CallyRed

I've read it's a pay as you play contract. Every minute on the pitch he gets paid 15k and a tree gets destroyed

3vra

Coaching/ambassador/director role after he retires next season.
All that for him playing like 4 hours next season ? He is not at the level of United quality player.

If he wants to play some football before retirement send him to lesser team to play last full season and then make a deal that he will come back is not impossible to do that.

If that role you mentioned is the main thing give it to him now, he is not good enough to play anymore at that level.

I do not see how he needs to stay here to be an ambassador or else. I am sure there are still teams that he could contribute and have fun with that.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I've read it's a pay as you play contract. Every minute on the pitch he gets paid 15k and a tree gets destroyed
Yep. If you look hard enough you can see that nearly every large tree in the UK has a stick of TNT taped to it in preparation.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
A very good move by United as it ensures Pep can continue dining at Juan's restaurant.

Edit. Just realized its already shut down.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
Yeah I heard he's really weird and demanding behind the scenes. He doesn't allow any of the youth players to get haircuts as he insists on doing it himself. The ordeal takes hours and Mata insists on dance breaks every five minutes and requires them to wear a VR headset which shows a live feed from a go-pro on Mata's head of him cutting their hair in real time.
he really is a monster. he wasn’t even going to be offered a new contract. when woodward informed him just started shouting “no contract huh?” “no contract, what?” whilst nipple twisting woodward to within an inch of his life. he only stopped when woodward agreed to double his wages and allow mata a go on his wife. mata didn’t even finish. a really power move to show his disdain for woodward and the club in general.

Bondi77

yeah my bad I got as far as the unverified tweet and gave up

tbf even if I had read the whole thing he said the 18th is his wife's bday so I still doubt he's precious about changing numbers and again he wore 11 for Portugal which made no sense whatsoever
After next season I think he will be wearing the #8 jersey....I could be wrong.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
He also demanded that no player is allowed to run faster than him on the pitch, to stop fans complaining he is too slow.
That will probably backfire. Fans would be on his case more, not less. "Run Mata Run", just because Sancho looks like a winger version of Laurent Blanc.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Ok I love this for all the reasons. In my company I spend a considerable amount of energy on recruiting not just people with skillsets, but people who mesh with and lift everyone around them. There's more to workplace, or team performance than just output. A football squad composition entails a lot of the same principles. The gaffer has spoken several times to this point: It's not about just recruiting good players, but players with the right personality.

1) 'El Mago' is by far the most well liked and respected human being in the Manchester United squad. Including the future Sir. Remember that the squad is full of players at the start of their careers. They need more than big egos in the team, they need leaders and rolemodels that lead by example, both on the pitch, but just as importantly during training and in their personal lives. These men and boys spend more time together most of the season than they do with their own family. The people they interact wth have a huge impact on the type of personality the kids will end up immitating. Juan Mata is a perfect professional and rolemodel to a up and coming footballer.

2) He's still a good player. He was voted Manchester United's player of the month during last season. He spent a considerable amount of time away from the squad due to his mothers illness and eventual passing. His free kick and penalty kick technique is better than anyone on the team. Bruno spends a lot of time with Mata during practice practicing free kicks.

3) His squad role will be limited to cup games and the occasional PL match entry during the occasional stalemate, injury crisis or match is over scenario. Not unlike: Every other team in the Premier League. We are likely to go deep in every contest this season, we need a broad squad that doesn't only rely on the U23's who have little to no experience with first team football yet. In this regard Mata is not a hindrance, he's there to help those who do play, along with every other first team squad player.

4) He's only 33. People are talking as if he's 39 and on crutches. He's not too old to even have a considerable resurgence.

5) The new contract was rumored to include a significant paycut in the region of 50% when these talks begun. The club chose not to utilize the option of a 1 year extension, so they have negotiated a smaller contract, and Mata still signed.

If Mata retires following this season he's rumoured to be included in a future staff role at the club, which would be an incredible scoop. Mata already has a great deal of professional exprience with the Common Goal Project - And can use his network, to promote Manchester United and get the club involved in meaningful charitable work as a sports director. Among other things more naturally fitting under a Sports Director role such as day to day operation.

https://juanmata8.com/en/common-goal/

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Why not just move him up now then? It makes little sense to still be playing someone with such little impact because he's one of the seniors. Once upon a time we had Giggs and Scholes tear teams apart at Mata's age. That should always be the standard at this club.
The club hierarchy clearly sees something in Mata that could be of benefit. Renewing or improving his contract secures his future remains with the club until he retires.

I have no idea if his salary has increased as part of the new contract. I'd guess not, though. More likely just an extension of his previous contract.

CallyRed

he really is a monster. he wasn’t even going to be offered a new contract. when woodward informed him just started shouting “no contract huh?” “no contract, what?” whilst nipple twisting woodward to within an inch of his life. he only stopped when woodward agreed to double his wages and allow mata a go on his wife. mata didn’t even finish. a really power move to show his disdain for woodward and the club in general.
Woodward was no doubt peeping through the wardrobe

largelyworried

I'm happier about this than I was last time around. His last extension came when he was playing a lot of games but had clearly lost his fitness with age. That worried me then. But with the purchase of Sancho and the development of Greenwood, Mata won't be near the first team, even if we get a couple of injuries. Instead, he'll be someone to fill in the gaps on the bench, in cup games, or maybe the odd pick for easier home games.

I've no idea what contract he gets, but I doubt it's the same as he was getting at his peak. Besides, we need squad depth, and its probably cheaper to keep Mata for a year than buy someone in that we don't really need who has no real hope of making it in the first team anyway. The fact that Mata is a good role model for younger players and might end up doing ambassadorial work for us is a nice extra.

Matriac

He had 18 apperances this last season despite being away for a long time due to his mother being sick.
He was 1 of 6 players given Player of the Month awards.

They are paid for what they do every day on the field, not just the 90 minutes 1-2 evenings a week. He's a very positive influence on the youngsters, and there's a difference in how you learn by watching other players on your team, how they live and train, rather than what your coaches tell you to do.

Plus if we really want to keep him around for the future roles in the club, and he still wants to play for a year or two more, then it makes sense to give him an offer he considers good enough. Rather than have him move away, including his partner who has a good career in Manchester, and then expect them both to move back to Manchester after he's done playing? (Or live away from his partner for 1-2 years if she stays at her job?)

It's about treating people as people and not just numbers. If we think he is currently a positive influence on the club, and will continue to be so in the future through other roles, then why turn him away?
It would be different if he was "just" an older player that we didn't envision future club roles for, but even then it's still valuable to keep some experienced players around for our very young squad to watch as examples of attitude and professionality to have a great career.

Eriku

Probably not on crazy money, relatively speaking, and is probably a good man to have in the squad. Also provided the best assist of the season for me, with his through ball to Rashford away to West Ham.

AshRK

It is strange from Mata's perspective how he seems to be content playing rarely rather than going elsewhere and playing full time. He is not that old and hardly has injury issues so definitely the logic says could play full time elsewhere but he seems to be happy giving hugs.

acnumber9

We've officially become a charity.
That happened a long time ago. Fergie saw the benefit in keeping certain people around when they’d passed their sell by date if they had a positive influence. See Gary Neville for reference.

Tiber

Excellent signing. No idea why anyone would be upset by this

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
It is strange from Mata's perspective how he seems to be content playing rarely rather than going elsewhere and playing full time. He is not that old and hardly has injury issues so definitely the logic says could play full time elsewhere but he seems to be happy giving hugs.
I imagine the club laid out a song future plan for him after his playing days are over.

He may want to play more now, but he also has to give strong consideration take his future at his age.

Kag

Good news. Those more interested in crying about fictitious money they will never see should get a grip.

Great pro. Still a good player. World Cup winner. Exactly the sort of bloke you want in a dressing room that is on its way up.

We’re also due to sell the likes of Lingard and Pereira and will need reliable cover for our wider options.

He, Cavani and Matic are our only outfield players over the age of 30. No brainer this, you melons.

Matriac

Ok I love this for all the reasons. In my company I spend a considerable amount of energy on recruiting not just people with skillsets, but people who mesh with and lift everyone around them. There's more to workplace, or team performance than just output. A football squad composition entails a lot of the same principles. The gaffer has spoken several times to this point: It's not about just recruiting good players, but players with the right personality.

1) 'El Mago' is by far the most well liked and respected human being in the Manchester United squad. Including the future Sir. Remember that the squad is full of players at the start of their careers. They need more than big egos in the team, they need leaders and rolemodels that lead by example, both on the pitch, but just as importantly during training and in their personal lives. These men and boys spend more time together most of the season than they do with their own family. The people they interact wth have a huge impact on the type of personality the kids will end up immitating. Juan Mata is a perfect professional and rolemodel to a up and coming footballer.

2) He's still a good player. He was voted Manchester United's player of the month during last season. He spent a considerable amount of time away from the squad due to his mothers illness and eventual passing. His free kick and penalty kick technique is better than anyone on the team. Bruno spends a lot of time with Mata during practice practicing free kicks.

3) His squad role will be limited to cup games and the occasional PL match entry during the occasional stalemate, injury crisis or match is over scenario. Not unlike: Every other team in the Premier League. We are likely to go deep in every contest this season, we need a broad squad that doesn't only rely on the U23's who have little to no experience with first team football yet. In this regard Mata is not a hindrance, he's there to help those who do play, along with every other first team squad player.

4) He's only 33. People are talking as if he's 39 and on crutches. He's not too old to even have a considerable resurgence.

5) The new contract was rumored to include a significant paycut in the region of 50% when these talks begun. The club chose not to utilize the option of a 1 year extension, so they have negotiated a smaller contract, and Mata still signed.

If Mata retires following this season he's rumoured to be included in a future staff role at the club, which would be an incredible scoop. Mata already has a great deal of professional exprience with the Common Goal Project - And can use his network, to promote Manchester United and get the club involved in meaningful charitable work as a sports director. Among other things more naturally fitting under a Sports Director role such as day to day operation.

https://juanmata8.com/en/common-goal/
Tom Cato proving again that for most things on here I should just shut up and wait for him to post my own opinions in a much more articulate way.

ThomasEmil

Invisible Herrera Watcher
Having Mata at the club gives a lot of good vibes in non-footbaling areas.
Probably equalises the bad vibes from our ownership.

Good deal!

RedDF

Happy with this as he’s likely to remain beyond his playing career, great person to keep around the club.

Infra-red

If anybody from Manchester United is reading this and is interested in paying me £175,000 per week for going to the gym a bit and watching games from the stands at Old Trafford, please do get in contact.