New England Revolution v Manchester United - Pre-season Friendly

RedCanuck

Loved that game. We started with a nasty 11 and even after a ton of changes still had a quality team on the pitch.

Bodes well.

holdsteady

Hates Sir Alex Ferguson

Kiko's English has gotten significantly better and he seems to have grown up. Well done Kiko.

davisjw

WTF? Why did MLS play their captain for 90 minutes when they have a match on Saturday?

Answer: Because it's MLS, and they want to feature these guys so they can flog them off for $$$. God I hate the MLS/USSF.
Their captain is in his thirties... So much for prostituting their guys for money. Before you go on a tirade about how stupid a league is, try to understand football more.

It's better for people to think you're dumb, than to open your mouth and prove it.

twitchchris

I just got home from the match. I'm still getting chills thinking of the reception for Ryan Giggs.

So glad my first time seeing them live was a solid victory, even if just a friendly.

Excal

Their captain is in his thirties...
And a few years ago, he had a $2M bid from Celtic.

No bids since, of course, possibly due in part to his substance abuse issues, but hey, maybe if there were some high-profile contest where he could be showcased...

So much for prostituting their guys for money.
I'm sorry, are you attempting to argue MLS doesn't do this? :lol:

Before you go on a tirade about how stupid a league is, try to understand football more.

It's better for people to think you're dumb, than to open your mouth and prove it.
I'm deeply ashamed that I ever implied that the league which mandates a salary cap, whose players' contracts are owned by the league rather than its clubs, and which continues to play during major international tournaments which remove most of the league's stars from availability, might just be motivated a tad bit by money.

And if your assertion that I didn't understand football due to this implication hadn't already wounded my pride so deeply, that cliche you closed with surely would've done the trick. :rolleyes:

Drifter

American
Nice workout.Some good goals pick of the bunch being the little triangle between Giggs and park.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I think I fell asleep some point after Macheda's second goal.

42 euros

Aka Giggs 11 times
Would love to see this as the start of great things this season for Kiko and Obi.

MacMUFC

With Kiko and Welbeck in the mix, I do wonder why we kept Owen if it meant giving those two more chances.

Diouf wont be a long term Man Utd player.

Cutch

Northern Ireland. Stretty W3102, Row 2, Seat 129
Good workout last night. Dont think the opposition were up to much but we did look sharp for it to be our first pre season match.

The twins were electric, Fabio particularly. I was impressed with Evans too, looked very assured aside from these charges up the pitch that i'm not a fan of. Carrick used the ball well and quickly when needed. Young was alright, a few decent deliverys but a wee bit predictable on the left. Nani and Berbs were quiet. Andersons put the beef on again. Kiko and Owen had fine finishes.

Encouraging

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
I've seen a lot of comments on how Anderson has put on weight etc. (which, judging by the pics of him training, is bollocks), but what did people make of his performance yesterday? For me, he was the standout man.

He looked focused and was keen to impress. He was consantly showing for the ball finding good pockets of space and his passing was impeccable. How many neat pass and moves/1-2's did he play around the edge of their area? I loved one ball in particular where he curled it on the ground from in the centre circle right down the line to Ashley Young.

We often get frustrated by Anderson, but yesterday was a reminder to me of just how much he has progressed. He's learnt that CM role very well after starting his career as such an attacking player.

davisjw

And a few years ago, he had a $2M bid from Celtic.

No bids since, of course, possibly due in part to his substance abuse issues, but hey, maybe if there were some high-profile contest where he could be showcased...

I'm sorry, are you attempting to argue MLS doesn't do this? :lol:

I'm deeply ashamed that I ever implied that the league which mandates a salary cap, whose players' contracts are owned by the league rather than its clubs, and which continues to play during major international tournaments which remove most of the league's stars from availability, might just be motivated a tad bit by money.

And if your assertion that I didn't understand football due to this implication hadn't already wounded my pride so deeply, that cliche you closed with surely would've done the trick. :rolleyes:
You implied that New England kept their captain on the full 90 minutes because, and I quote, "WTF? Why did MLS play their captain for 90 minutes when they have a match on Saturday?

Answer: Because it's MLS, and they want to feature these guys so they can flog them off for $$$. God I hate the MLS/USSF
."

Their captain Joseph, hasn't played that many games this season and was absent from preseason due to "personal" problems. So playing him a full 90 minutes wasn't going to harm him any. The game wasn't played at a fast pace and they wanted him to keep sharp. On top of that, he's an engine-type player who can just run all day. Also, playing against United is most of these players' dreams, so giving them the personal pride to play them is good man-management. MLS and USSF (what in the world do they have to do with this?), have no control over who gets played. The NE coach was actually coached under Fergie in the Scotland setup. Finally, New England has had a lot of time off recently, so the players were well rested.

So yes, your implication that MLS kept Joseph out there the full 90 minutes "so they can flog them off for $$$" was unfounded, untrue, and with facts just shows a harboring Eurosnub attitude toward US football.

I've lived in the US for quite some time now and while the football is dire at times, the crap said about it is largely unfounded and comes out of the mouths of ignorant people.

And MLS does what every other smaller league does in showcasing its talent. Portugal does it, Belgium does it, the Dutch do it, etc, so why you feel the need to pick on the "new guy" is absurd. On top of that statement, MLS has made a huge effort recently to keep players - i.e. De Rosario who wanted a transfer out during the last transfer period and Celtic wanted him, only for the league to say no. Donovan is another one they declined to send out. So please educate yourself because you really don't know.

Yes they own the player's rights and yes there is a salary cap:

Point 1: Those same player rights that they own, are the exact same thing clubs in England are fighting against. You'd never get a Nasri or Modric situation in America, or Rooney prostituing himself. Why? Because the professional signed a contract stipulating he was going to play for X amount of years for X amount of pay. In no other industry are the signees given so many rights to break contracts and force their way out without serious retribution.

Point 2: A salary cap has controlled the league's wages and ensured it's success. That salary cap has risen over the years and will continue to do so. You obvious have no business background or else you would realize that it's the only way to keep the league afloat when it faces off against MLB, NFL, NBA, etc. It has also created a level playing field amongst most teams, instead of an inner league tier system as found across Europe.

Finally, European officials are toying with the idea of a salary cap to control spiralling costs and bankrupt teams, which you would never get in MLS.

So while the league is not rich in well developed talent and doesn't have the riches of the EPL, your comments are both unfounded and show a contempt brought on by ignorance.

I couldn't give two tosses about your pride, but no one should be spewing falsities that others may take as facts. So you needed correction.

prateik

Was watching the espn highlights

He is a gamer
Shin save
one goal game.
Take it benny, take it and run with it.. hey, they all count
And thats all she wrote
Man Utd exploding with 4 finishes in the second half to break a 0-0 game

:lol:

phelans shorts

I've seen a lot of comments on how Anderson has put on weight etc. (which, judging by the pics of him training, is bollocks), but what did people make of his performance yesterday? For me, he was the standout man.

He looked focused and was keen to impress. He was consantly showing for the ball finding good pockets of space and his passing was impeccable. How many neat pass and moves/1-2's did he play around the edge of their area? I loved one ball in particular where he curled it on the ground from in the centre circle right down the line to Ashley Young.

We often get frustrated by Anderson, but yesterday was a reminder to me of just how much he has progressed. He's learnt that CM role very well after starting his career as such an attacking player.
He looked bigger that usual last night, his general performance was very good mind.

JezChan

Was watching the espn highlights

He is a gamer
Shin save
one goal game.
Take it benny, take it and run with it.. hey, they all count
And thats all she wrote
Man Utd exploding with 4 finishes in the second half to break a 0-0 game

:lol:
Not to mention the lineups as well... GK, D D D D, M M M M, F F :lol:

johnmufc

Carrick was excellent, yes he was not tested all that much, but he looked sharp.

I thought Young played well on his debut.

However, I was annoyed by Berbatov's attitude. He was not up to par, but he seemed to be blaming everyone else.

Anderson was decent and ambitious with his play, but he looked frighteningly out of shape.

All four of our goals were well taken. It was an enjoyable match.

letranger0

Due to MLS's agreement with Opta they provide all this great data for free on their site in Chalkboard form. It's like the Guardian Chalkboards but with more detail. Last night's match is here:

2011-07-13: New England Revolution vs. Manchester United | MLSsoccer.com

Rafael had a good night. Excluding crosses (where he completed 2/5, one of which led to a goal scoring chance) he completed 53/56 passes, won 4/5 tackles, made 3 interceptions, 2 clearances, blocked 1 cross and made 6 ball recoveries. Fabio was good as well.

Carrick's passing was a little surprising. More expansive than usual perhaps, without sacrificing his usual accuracy.

Lindegaard had a solid night. Made 5 saves but had nothing to do in the air (New England attempted only 7 crosses all night vs United's 25).

Excal

Excal is American.
Sssshh. Don't spoil it. This is a rare bird. Almost every American fan of football I know, whether they follow MLS or not, acknowledge the damage the MLS ownership groups and USSF have done to the game here and international team in particular in the name of greater profits. Seeing one actually defend them is so unusual, I'd like him to keep it up even if he isn't able to give his opinion without constantly asserting that disagreeing with him can only be possible in a state of ignorance, (and, apparently, Europe.)

How to salvage this?

*ahem*

Davis, is it true that MLS want to break the game up into quarters not just for more commercial revenue, but because their American fans are too fat to pay attention for 45 minutes?

brad-dyrak

Excal is American.
Oh there're plenty of native born younameitsnobs over here (I'm not saying Excal is one!). Can't fill a stadium to watch a competitive match, but will sell out the stadium to see the Milan under 20's, the Boca C team scrubs, or Preston fecking North End.

For what it's worth, I reckon Davis and Excal are both right. The MLS setup is definitely ropey and everyone knows it, but it is what it is as that's what they thought they needed to do to keep it afloat. For years back when it first started, it was a nervy affair and we didn't know if it would be around the next season. Most folks agree they need to let things loosen up, and it's already started with things like higher caps, and the DPs. I'm sure this will continue as the league seems definitely stable enough now.

Excal

Whereas I'm less confident the league will make changes to improve the product if that means less money in their pockets. Not that I'd have gone on about this if Davis hadn't gotten his back up about a slightly ranty offhand comment. Really, my biggest beef with MLS is not with the league itself but rather the way that USSF runs the international team as a cash cow for the MLS owners that run it, and the direct harm this has done to USMNT over the last decade or so.