New Gillette ad

Sigma

After I heard about all the outrage I watched the advert just now. No idea why everyone is outraged about it.

Mogget

Supports
Arsenal
Simple case of them thinking their masculinity is being attacked.
It's funny how the men who like to proclaim themselves as masculine usually seem to be the most fragile and easily offended.

Simple case of them thinking their masculinity is being attacked.
Yes, surely the only reason someone might have for ridiculing a multi-national corporation's over the top simplistic attempt to score some goodwill points by advertisement based virtue signalling must be that they feel their masculinity is attacked :lol:

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
Yes, surely the only reason someone might have for ridiculing a multi-national corporation's over the top simplistic attempt to score some goodwill points by advertisement based virtue signalling must be that they feel their masculinity is attacked :lol:
On the first page you have a tweet from Piers Morgan complaining about the global assault on masculinity and it seems to be a fairly common response. I don’t think the posters were saying that anyone who doesn’t like the advert feels their masculinity is being attacked, but rather those ‘outraged’ by it.

Florida Man

Cartoon expert and crap superhero
It’s a fundamental reason, not the only reason. Unless you want to enlighten me about why some people would spend hours trying to criticize an ad as it had severely affected them?

It’s a fundamental reason, not the only reason. Unless you want to enlighten me about why some people would spend hours trying to criticize an ad as it had severely affected them?
Because it's a terrible ad worthy of lengthy ridicule and excessive criticism.

I'm sure there are some who are fearful of their masculinity, but this narrative about it being the only reason people dislike it is wrong.

I would react the same way to a hypothetical moralistic McDonalds commercial telling me not to litter or something.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Some of us live in the real world & realize that ads like Gillette ain't gonna change things. Doesn't make us bad people though. Just a bit more realistic than others who want see the world as they'd like it to be.
Yet attitudes change over time and even adverts saying the right thing can play a small part in that even if its intension is really just to sell razors.

Getting outraged at this advert is weird as it plainly isn't having a go at anyone who doesn't do the wrong thing. Interesting that the outraged identify with those doing the wrong thing and not the characters doing the right thing.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff

I'm sure there are some who are fearful of their masculinity, but this narrative about it being the only reason people dislike it is wrong.

I would react the same way to a hypothetical moralistic McDonalds commercial telling me not to litter or something.
Maccas should do that to reduce the amount of fast food rubbish in the streets.

I'm not sure that the rage has anything much to do with it being a bad ad as there are lots of very bad ads that don't cop much criticism.

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
Some of us live in the real world & realize that ads like Gillette ain't gonna change things. Doesn't make us bad people though. Just a bit more realistic than others who want see the world as they'd like it to be.
"Change things" is meaningless. Imagine that 0.1% of men who watched this will change their attitude. Wouldn't it be worth it? It would "change things" for many men and women.

Using your logic we wouldn't have ads about drunk driving or domestic abuse. Why bother?

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea

I can understand people not liking the ad, I thought it was pretty clumsily done. But if someone spents a significant amount of time ridiculing it and 'excessively' criticising the advert, then at that point I think it's less to do with them thinking it's a bad advert and more with them having a problem with the message.

Companies using corporate social responsibility appeals are very common, I could post a bunch of adverts doing the same thing yet there would be nowhere near the outrage that the gillette advert garnered. You say you'd react the same way to a hypothetical McDonalds commercial telling people not to litter, and I believe you, but I'm very confident that if said commercial ran it wouldn't be as controversial.

Florida Man

Cartoon expert and crap superhero

You just sound like a bitter cynic if that’s really your reasoning. The ad being bad or not is debatable hence this thread. For me, it’s a positive message that imhas to he said one way or another and the fact that it got people talking about Gillette products means it accomplished one of it’s main objectives. However, because of the outrage, I stand by my statement that fragile masculinity is a findamental reason. I also never said it was the only reason. You said that.

Chairman Woodie

The advert is fine. I don't necessarily agree with everything in the advert. There is certainly no reason to take offense or boycott Gillette products in my opinion.

The advert is fine. I don't necessarily agree with everything in the advert. There is certainly no reason to take offense or boycott Gillette products in my opinion.
Main reason to boycott them would be that they somehow managed to trick the world into believing that disposable razors are somehow better than safety razors.

Ok, I don't know it was them, but they're just the compary I associate with it.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Gillette are good at this "guaranteed to start an online flame war" type of advertizing. To everyone's huge surprize, this also created a giant dungstorm.

I like how many people wrap their ugh fat slag comments in a "concerned for her heallth" statement.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Gillette are good at this "guaranteed to start an online flame war" type of advertizing. To everyone's huge surprize, this also created a giant dungstorm.

I like how many people wrap their ugh fat slag comments in a "concerned for her heallth" statement.
I'd say she would too.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.

I don't think it's Gillette's job to promote health, just well shaven bodies. If it makes women want to buy their products then good for them. People will be fat and will get fat regardless of Gillette and Gillette's products have no bearing on weight (unless you eat the shaving cream I suppose).

Member 39557

Similar to all the overweight people claiming that the Protein World advert that got removed from the london underground promoted an unhealthy body image.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Similar to all the overweight people claiming that the Protein World advert that got removed from the london underground promoted an unhealthy body image.
I like the hypocrisy of it all. The people screaming this woman is beautiful are the same people who scream bloody murder when a size 0 girl is being used. Obviously beautiful isn't objective but neither anorexia nor morbid obesity is beautiful.

Though I suppose marketing to fat people is sort of smart since they have a lot more ground to cover with that razorblade.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Very smart advertising. Imagine the industrial strength blades needed to trim that growler.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.

If a Gillette razor can shave that, it can shave anything.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
I want them to do one with a teen strawpedoing a bottle of White Lightning with a circle of friends chain-smoking around them next.

Nucks

RT History Department
I would suggest that the people who are offended by this, are Jordan Peterson incel fanboi types. As a former lumberjack (My dad made me), who played a manly Canadian sport competitively into my 20's (not competitive lumberjacking, but that's pretty manly and Canadian), I don't see the problem. It doesn't offend me.