New Left Back

OohAahMartial

I think a lot/most agree that LB is our weakest spot. Where there is a big disagreement is whether Shaw is the answer to strengthening it, but even there we can agree that at this time Jose doesn't see that even if he hasn't competely given up on him in the future. So it is a reasonable expectation that we might be in for a new LB. Who?

www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/celtic-star-kieran-tierney-could-9640091

www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/manchester-united-transfer-news-rose-12535052

So far I have seen us linked with only two: Rose and Tierney. I expect Jose to have a short list of 4 and to have scouted far more. Has anyone else seen any other links to Left Backs?

Brophs

The One and Only
If we assume we'll buy a LB, I wouldn't imagine we could get Rose, given our history with Levy and I can't see Mourinho taking the risk on Tierney this early, unless he was buying two full backs, one more experienced and Tierney to hopefully eventually make the spot his own.

I would guess that if we do buy it's more likely to be someone like Ricardo Rodriguez, who would appear to be ready to contribute immediately and could be gotten out of Wolfsburg. Alaba would obviously be about as good as we could get there, but it's hard to imagine Bayern letting that happen.

Blind

Absolutely no chance of getting Rose. I think Bertrand is on a similar level, arguably has better delivery as well and would provide bundles of energy down the left that we're sorely missing.

Definitely think Shaw should have been sent on loan in January to try and get him up to speed and actually playing football again.

OohAahMartial

If we assume we'll buy a LB, I wouldn't imagine we could get Rose, given our history with Levy and I can't see Mourinho taking the risk on Tierney this early, unless he was buying two full backs, one more experienced and Tierney to hopefully eventually make the spot his own.

I would guess that if we do buy it's more likely to be someone like Ricardo Rodriguez, who would appear to be ready to contribute immediately and could be gotten out of Wolfsburg. Alaba would obviously be about as good as we could get there, but it's hard to imagine Bayern letting that happen.
http://www.express.co.uk/sport/foot...fsburg-Defender-Ricardo-Rodriguez-Real-Madrid
There were links last Summer coming from newspapers abroad and just recently Paul Parker suggested him as a good candidate (the kiss of death?). Not seen any more recent links but thanks for the tipoff, I hadn't heard of this link before. What's he like?

OohAahMartial

Absolutely no chance of getting Rose. I think Bertrand is on a similar level, arguably has better delivery as well and would provide bundles of energy down the left that we're sorely missing.

Definitely think Shaw should have been sent on loan in January to try and get him up to speed and actually playing football again.
From Rose's quotes it seems that Rose would consider leaving IF Spurs fail to win anything, fail to hold onto star players, and we seemed more likely to win things. These we will know come the Summer. May well be Jose's No.1 option but doesn't seem to be as realistic an option as Jose has been suggesting.

Brophs

The One and Only
http://www.express.co.uk/sport/foot...fsburg-Defender-Ricardo-Rodriguez-Real-Madrid
There were links last Summer coming from newspapers abroad and just recently Paul Parker suggested him as a good candidate (the kiss of death?). Not seen any more recent links but thanks for the tipoff, I hadn't heard of this link before. What's he like?
Well, from what I've seen of him, he looks a good player. Athletic, strong and good on the ball. Others on here who watch German football may correct me, but he looks fine defensively, albeit not outstanding. No idea whether he'd be good enough for us, though. I was just suggesting him as someone who's at the right age, level of experience and stature in the game and who could probably be gotten from his club without the sort of nonsense we'd have with buying the likes of Rose. There aren't many really good full backs in England at the moment, either, so the chances of picking up a player from a 'smaller' club aren't great.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
I don't think we need a left back TBH. We've got Shaw, Blind and Rojo there. We're better off with a CB and a RB.

Alabaster Codify7

Jose has a decision to make this summer. If he isn't impressed by Shaw, he needs to buy a quality LB coz Blind, Darmian and Rojo are simply mid-table options in that position and will cost us points whenever they're targeted by a good team with a good right winger. Simple as that.

pilky02

Supports
I could eat a nob at night
I don't think we need a left back TBH. We've got Shaw, Blind and Rojo there. We're better off with a CB and a RB.
Ok but we will need a good one if we want to win anything. Combine Shaw Darmian and Blind and we still wouldn't have an amazing left back.

devilish

Jose has a decision to make this summer. If he isn't impressed by Shaw, he needs to buy a quality LB coz Blind, Darmian and Rojo are simply mid-table options in that position and will cost us points whenever they're targeted by a good team with a good right winger. Simple as that.
He already said he'll keep Shaw

devilish

oK BU

Ok but we will need a good one if we want to win anything. Combine Shaw Darmian and Blind and we still wouldn't have an amazing left back.
In ideal world we'll add a left back. However our situation is far from ideal. Other roles will get a higher priority.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Well, from what I've seen of him, he looks a good player. Athletic, strong and good on the ball. Others on here who watch German football may correct me, but he looks fine defensively, albeit not outstanding. No idea whether he'd be good enough for us, though. I was just suggesting him as someone who's at the right age, level of experience and stature in the game and who could probably be gotten from his club without the sort of nonsense we'd have with buying the likes of Rose. There aren't many really good full backs in England at the moment, either, so the chances of picking up a player from a 'smaller' club aren't great.
He's the Swiss Leighton Baines. Don't think he's that much quicker than Blind either TBH, unless we get him super cheap I wouldn't bother.

pilky02

Supports
I could eat a nob at night
In ideal world we'll add a left back. However our situation is far from ideal. Other roles will get a higher priority.
Like where? we don't even have a first team quality player there, unlike everywhere else.

broccoli

Supports
FCPorto
Would love Alex Sandro but can't see Juve letting him go. What a player.

settembrini

It's the weakest position in our team atm. I'd love for Shaw to get back into the picture but if he doesn't then we need to buy someone. Blind is okay but I'm sick of seeing Rojo and Darmian there.

Zoo

We invested a lot in Shaw and hopefully he'll be given every opportunity to get back on track, but he needs to fight.

If we were to buy a LB then Benjamin Mendy is the one I'd want.

devilish

Like where? we don't even have a first team quality player there, unlike everywhere else.
I think first priority should be a DM. We don't have one. Carrick is ancient, Fellaini is :lol: and Herrera is not a DM. Second priority is a STK. We can expect a 36 year old Ibra to keep scoring most of our goals. Third priority should be a CB. We currently have a decent but young first teamer whose surrounded by loads of squad players.

OohAahMartial

We invested a lot in Shaw and hopefully he'll be given every opportunity to get back on track, but he needs to fight.

If we were to buy a LB then Benjamin Mendy is the one I'd want.
Didn't impress me too much in that recent CL match, at least defensively. Whoever it is will need to be better positionally than Shaw, better offensively than Darmian and more athletic than Blind. I still want to see CBJ be given a chance myself but think an experienced LB could be signed for a few years while we see how Shaw and CBJ turn out.

Ekeke

I dont think left back is significantly weaker than our right wing. I just think selection has been poor and Blind has let himself down with being beaten too often. Blind needs to do better with stronger challenges, which he's shown he can in the past and if not, we don't pick Rojo to replace him.

In my opinion Darmien has done a fairly solid job at left back and Shaw has the ability to get back to his level.

I dont think Mata/Martial/Lingard have over the course of the season been any stronger options in attack, than these guys have been at left back.

Rose has been better sure but I dont think theres a need for him.

AndyJ1985

How can you name Blind and Rojo as left backs and say we don't need a left back? That's nowhere near good enough.

devilish

How can you name Blind and Rojo as left backs and say we don't need a left back? That's nowhere near good enough.
I think that Rojo is not MUQ irrespective where he plays...so that's a non brainer.

However I still believe that Shaw is good enough for first team + Blind is a decent LB cover TBH. The Dutchman is certainly a better option to former players like OShea or Phil Nev

Alabaster Codify7

I think that Rojo is not MUQ irrespective where he plays...so that's a non brainer.

However I still believe that Shaw is good enough for first team + Blind is a decent LB cover TBH. The Dutchman is certainly a better option to former players like OShea or Phil Nev

I'd definitely be fine with a fully-fit, in form Shaw backed up with Blind - absolutely no issue with that.

Blind first choice backed up by Darmian and Rojo? Not a chance in hell.

As you said, we agree!

Devil may care

Kolasinac is a robust LB like Ivanovic and he'd be free which is a double whammy of appeal. There's also the two footed option of Heinrichs who would offer us a starting LB and cover for RB which would give Shaw a chance to ease back in eventually and have a player ready to take over from Valencia full time as RB.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
Kolasinac is a robust LB like Ivanovic and he'd be free which is a double whammy of appeal. There's also the two footed option of Heinrichs who would offer us a starting LB and cover for RB which would give Shaw a chance to ease back in eventually and have a player ready to take over from Valencia full time as RB.
Would be some shrewd business on our part whilst we assess Shaw.

gajender

Even if Shaw is still part of Mourinho's future plans , I would still prefer to hedge our bet by selling Blind and Darmian raising around £ 22-25 million and investing that amount in another quality left back and letting him compete with Shaw for first team spot . We simply can't rely on Shaw to step up without proper contingency plan incase things don't go according to plan

DatGuyRich

If we are getting rid of Shaw which I think would be stupid.

I'd go for Benjamin Mendy from Monaco. Best French LB out there and arguably top 10 worldwide.

Although if we could only sign one Monaco player it would have to be Fabinho.

tomaldinho1

Rojo and Blind aren't good enough to start as LBs in our squad if we want to win things. Rojo should be a CB or not playing.

Shaw clearly isn't fancied by Mourinho so we definitely need a strong LB. Bertrand is realistic and a good option for me, no way we are getting Rose unless Tottenham's season takes a complete nosedive and we get top 4. Even then I don't think it would happen.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
I'd rather we bring Shaw up to speed, but I don't work with him every day. If Jose thinks he's a lost cause, we might well be in for one this summer.

devilish

Rojo and Blind aren't good enough to start as LBs in our squad if we want to win things. Rojo should be a CB or not playing.

Shaw clearly isn't fancied by Mourinho so we definitely need a strong LB. Bertrand is realistic and a good option for me, no way we are getting Rose unless Tottenham's season takes a complete nosedive and we get top 4. Even then I don't think it would happen.
We don't know what Mourinho has in mind. Take Miki as an example. I thought he was a goner TBH. Guess what? He wasn't.

leontas

Honestly don't think LB is our priority area. We should focus on developing Shaw and we'll also have CBJ coming back from his loan spell.

I think our biggest priority area is find a CDM to replace Carrick, when he eventually retires. We lose any kind of transition play from defence to attack when Carrick is not playing (as we saw against Southampton during the first half of the EFL cup final). A CDM will also give the platform for Pogba and Herrera to roam forward and help out with any attacking plays.