New Left Back

Andersons Dietician

Improvement on Shaw: Chilwell, Farland Mendy, Tierney. Unless you value defensive abilities the highest, then i agree that Shaw is good enough.
None of them are better than Shaw. People mentioning Tierney must be having a laugh or have never seen him play. As for Farland Mendy :lol::lol: another that seems like people have never watched. Chilwell might be better going forward but it’s not like he is so brilliant that it makes up for his defensive frailties.

Shaw is the least of our problems. He’s a decent full back, he’s never going to be world class - but so what. Issues we have more pressing than Shaw are: CB, 2CB, RB, RW, CM, DM, ST & 2ST and a whole load of issues with our squad players. If the rest of the squad was great, then we might want to look at genuine competition at LB, but it’s not and we can’t buy 8-10 new first team players at one time.

In Rainbows

I would love to sign Ryan Sessegnon as a back up understudy to Shaw. Originally was a LB, but then Fulham saw his attacking quality and put him at LW, LWB, and LB. His defense wasn't all that great, but considering his young age, it's not that surprising.

At a club where the attacking options are limited, it would be a waste for Sessegnon to be a LB as you would want him attacking up front where he can do most damage. For a club the size of United, you aim for something higher and with even more elite technical ability like Sancho. For a LB, his technique would shine more because he would now be compared to LBs. His attacking ability would shine more because his attacking ability would now be compared to LBs. Not many LBs could do what he did in the Championship as a LW. That shows his attacking ability is superior.

Clearly he isn't good enough defensively right now. That's why he would make for a good back up to Shaw when United are chasing a match. He's from the same 2000 born generation as Gomes and Sancho.

Fulham are getting relegated and he's had a "down" season. In other words, his price has gone down even though it's no surprise an 18 year old didn't set the PL world on fire. LB is not a priority, but the time to buy is now with Fulham getting relegated. Spurs were rumored to be interested in him so he could cost a lot more down the line.

Fosu-Mens

None of them are better than Shaw. People mentioning Tierney must be having a laugh or have never seen him play. As for Farland Mendy :lol::lol: another that seems like people have never watched. Chilwell might be better going forward but it’s not like he is so brilliant that it makes up for his defensive frailties.
We can disagree on those players. Regardless, Shaw is not the biggest problem in the squad or the starting 11.

dogwithabone

Agree with the general feeling that Shaw is the least of our problems. There a dozen we could talk about before him.

Andersons Dietician

We can disagree on those players. Regardless, Shaw is not the biggest problem in the squad or the starting 11.
I had a quick look at just their assists and goals yesterday as well and I don’t think they are tat better than Shaw. In most cases it’s by 1. Like Chillwell has 5 assists to Shaw’s 4. Compare the lot you mentioned to Grimaldo and yeah his numbers are far better than the lot but I think he plays quite a lot as a winger which if you watch Lyon it’s what Ferland tends to do as Dubois in phases shifts across to make it 3 at the back and Ferland pushes forward to more of a winger.