New Pakistan | Officially Dead

Zlatattack

Pakistan is slowly but surely changing, I want to create a thread to discuss and showcase the new Pakistan to anyone interested. I don't want this to be an India Vs Pakistan thread. If you want to play that game, go do it in that thread.

I was inspired by the comments I saw at the bottom of youtube videos left by viewers of travel vlogs. I've been following quite a few food bloggers and travel vloggers to see a bit more of Pakistan from my desktop and the comments overwhelmingly had a theme of people not being aware of what Pakistan was like.

A few Vloggers i'd reccomend looking at for the Pakistani content;

- Eva Zu Beck (I think she's paid by the state)
- Mark Weins (food orientated)
- Drew Binksy (short videos)
- College Free (quite loud, but drives a Rickshaw around Pakistan)

Zlatattack

Govt to restore, reopen historic Hindu temples

Following the Kartarpur Corridor – a project that connects Gurdwara Darbar Sahib in Pakistan’s Narowal district with Dera Baba Nanak in India’s Gurdaspur District – the government has now decided to restore and reopen Hindu temples across the country in phases and for that, a policy has also been formulated, according to sources in the Evacuee Trust Property Board.

The process will begin with two historic temples in Sialkot and Peshawar. “In one year, at least one to two temples will be made operation by the government after the required restoration work,” said sources in the Evacuee Trust Property Board.

Once the temples are made functional, Hindus from India, Canada, England, the United States and other countries will be able to visit the historical temples in Pakistan.

Out of the 400 temples in Pakistan, only 13 temples are operational where members of the Hindu community perform their religious rituals. According to a recent estimate, sources in the Evacuee Trust Property Board said, “Four temples are operational in Punjab, seven in Sindh and two in Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa (K-P).”

In March this year, Pakistan also gave a green single to open Sharda Temple Corridor in Azad Jammu and Kashmir (AJK) for Hindu pilgrims, particularly in the neighbouring country. Sharda temple is one of the most ancient temples of Hindus.

https://tribune.com.pk/story/1947544/1-govt-restore-reopen-historic-hindu-temples/

Last edited:

Zlatattack

Kartarpur Corridor: Pakistan completes 50% construction work

On Tuesday, Dr. Mohammad Faisal, official spokesperson of the Pakistan Foreign Office, informed that 50% work on the construction of the Kartarpur Corridor has been completed by Pakistan, and the terminals and roads required to make the Corridor functional are almost completed.

A report by The Nation stated that spokesperson further stated that there are several matters that need to be discussed with New Delhi regarding the construction of the bridge that would carry pilgrims over the river, along with other technical elements that are yet to be resolved. He added that India wants to ensure the movement of 5000 Sikh pilgrims in the Kartarpur Corridor on a daily basis, however, Pakistan is unsure if it will be able to effectively deal with the challenges of hosting such a large number of pilgrims.

https://www.globalvillagespace.com/kartarpur-corridor-pakistan-completes-50-construction-work/

Zlatattack

Pakistan to set 60% renewables energy target by 2030.

The new government in Pakistan plans to increase the share of renewable energy in total power generation to 30 percent by 2030, particularly power from wind, solar, small hydro and biomass, with an additional 30 percent from large scale hydropower.

Currently, the share of renewable energy stands at a meagre 4 percent, despite the fact that the country holds huge renewable energy potential particularly wind and solar. Large hydro currently provides around a fourth of the country’s electricity supply.

During the last week of February, The Cabinet Committee on Energy (CCoE), chaired by the Finance Minister, approved proposals from the Ministry of Energy (Power Division) for all future renewable energy projects to be treated under the Renewable Energy Policy 2019. The new policy, whose guiding principles have already been approved by CCoE, is being reviewed by different stakeholders and will be formally taken by CCoE later.

CCoE decided to permit renewable energy projects possessing a letter of support from the Alternative Energy Development Board to proceed towards achieving their required milestones in accordance with the Renewable Energy Policy 2006. The decision marks a positive effort by the government, which favours future renewable energy deployment. The Power Minister announced last week that the country will raise the share of renewable energy in the total power mix to 30 percent by 2030. The government also plans to increase the share of hydro power to 30 percent by the same period. This would translate into 60 percent overall share of renewable energy in the total power mix of the country. The targets set by the government are significant and in line with international climate change commitments, setting an example for other developing countries to follow.

“It is quite encouraging to observe that the government plans to set higher targets for renewable energy deployment for which he have been advocating for over a decade now” said Air Marshall Shahid Hamid (Retd.), Honorary Vice President of WWEA and Chair of WWEA Pakistan. “The main mission of WWEA Pakistan Office is to create a bridge between the efforts of the government, the private sector and development partners to advance renewable energy development in the country and beyond. WWEA will play its part in establishing concrete roadmap for smooth transition towards achieving the target of 30 percent renewable energy in Pakistan by 2030.”

https://www.renewableenergymagazine.com/panorama/pakistan-to-set-30-percent-plus-30-20190403

Zlatattack

Pakistan Citizen Portal has resolved over 380,000 public complaints, claims Iftikhar Durrani

In summary Pakistan launched a citizen complaint portal which is a mobile phone app letting people write to government to complain about stuff. Apparently since it's launch, it's resolved over 380,000 cases, of nearly 539,000 submitted to it. It was launched in October 2018.

Prime Minister’s special assistant Iftikhar Durrani says that Pakistan Citizen Portal has resolved over 380,000 public complaints out of 539,000 received, ever since it was established. He said that the public is showing faith in this portal.

Iftikhar Durrani, while addressing to a news conference in Islamabad on Monday said, that this Complaint Resolution System was started with the objective to keep check and balance and to give this message that the public sector departments are answerable to the general public and that we are making improvements in the system to make sure that it delivers to the expectations of the public.

He further added, the faith of the general public in this portal can be observed from the fact that almost 829,494 people have downloaded the portal so far on their cellular devices.

While briefing the media about the workings of the portal, the PM’s assistant said, around 70,000 complaints were dropped because of various reasons. He said that the complaints that were subjudice or related to political, family and national security matters were not entertained.

According to a meeting held at the commissioner office, most of the complaints were related to police, health education departments, local governments, and the FBR department.

https://www.techjuice.pk/pakistan-citizen-portal-resolved-380000-public-complaints-iftikhar-durrani/

Zlatattack

Pakistan is also big on trying to open up on Tourism. The new government has really got the bit between its teeth on this matter. They've introduced E-visas for 5 countries and visa on arrival for a further 70 countries. They've also reduced the "police checks" and admin loopholes you had to go through to travel to Kashmir and the mountaineous regions. You still need police approval to travel within 10 miles of certain borders, but thats more a security thing.

https://www.lonelyplanet.com/news/2019/04/02/can-you-visit-pakistan-tourist/

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Pakistan is also big on trying to open up on Tourism. The new government has really got the bit between its teeth on this matter. They've introduced E-visas for 5 countries and visa on arrival for a further 70 countries. They've also reduced the "police checks" and admin loopholes you had to go through to travel to Kashmir and the mountaineous regions. You still need police approval to travel within 10 miles of certain borders, but thats more a security thing.

I’m considering a trip next year. I’m thinking 2-3 weeks going from Karachi to Lahore, taking in Sehwan, Bahawalpur (for Uch Sharif and Derawar Fort) and Multan definitely along the way. Maybe Hyderabad and Mohenjo-daro if I’ve enough time.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin

The Kashmir area, both India and Pak side is just heaven on earth for tourism purposes. Leh, Ladakh, Baltistan...raw natural beauty. Rivals any other place on earth.

Florida Man

Cartoon expert and crap superhero
Now I wanna go to Pakistan. Also, that Drew Binksy guy has some serious balls for visiting Afghanistan.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Thanks for starting this thread. Good to see Khan was not all bluster. Really encouraging. But the cynic in me remains wary. However, you youngsters should remain bright and excited for the future.

VP

Count the seeds that they purchased before planting it although the number might slightly be off after a few trees got destroyed recently.
:lol: that didn't take long. It may be a new Pakistan but it's the same sad old obsession.

Zlatattack

Now I wanna go to Pakistan. Also, that Drew Binksy guy has some serious balls for visiting Afghanistan.
He's nuts. Just tried some hash in Afghanistan...lol Rate the guy for doing it though!

Actually watched the video and felt really bad for the people involved. They're not recreational users - they're addicts. They've lived horrible lives and need it as a crutch to survive.

Last edited:

Zlatattack

The Kashmir area, both India and Pak side is just heaven on earth for tourism purposes. Leh, Ladakh, Baltistan...raw natural beauty. Rivals any other place on earth.
Yeah it's amazing. Where my family are from in Pakistan is in Jammu technically, even around there it's stunning. The more north you get the higher it gets. Also after you've been travelling in the cities - you notice the clean air in Kashmir, especially during the night. Won't forget that pine smell.

Zlatattack

I’m considering a trip next year. I’m thinking 2-3 weeks going from Karachi to Lahore, taking in Sehwan, Bahawalpur (for Uch Sharif and Derawar Fort) and Multan definitely along the way. Maybe Hyderabad and Mohenjo-daro if I’ve enough time.
Have you been before? It might be a bit costly, but i'd reccomend hooking up with one of those travel companies in these videos. Unless you have friends there. For all the good intention - it's not as easy to navigate as a tourist as some of the more touristy places in the world. Hopefully that's change soon. Tourism is a great way of getting jobs and economic growth in rural communities.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Have you been before? It might be a bit costly, but i'd reccomend hooking up with one of those travel companies in these videos. Unless you have friends there. For all the good intention - it's not as easy to navigate as a tourist as some of the more touristy places in the world. Hopefully that's change soon. Tourism is a great way of getting jobs and economic growth in rural communities.
Yeah I spent 2 months in Pakistan in 2005, traveled from Quetta to ‘Pindi and Peshawar and then all over the north before ending in Lahore. Also spent a few days getting from Quetta to Lahore in 2009. Still probably my favorite country I’ve been.

Zlatattack

Guys please - we have a whole other topic to throw shit at each other....

Zlatattack

New on the electricity situation. For those of you who don't know Pakistan has big problems with electricity.

1. There isn't enough of it to go around
2. The infrastructure to send it around is poor
3. There is load shedding
4. Nobody pays their bill (very Greek)
5. Govt subsides costs through borrowing
6. Govt doesn't pay it's bills either, causing loads of circular debt
7. Energy companies threaten to reduce or end output

So the new govt (and the previous one, even though they're a bunch of crooks) have kicked off projects to make more electricity. They're also ending subsidies, paying their bills to reduce circular debt, investigating and prosecuting people involved in theft, and finally investing in smart meters to prevent theft in the future!

https://www.brecorder.com/2019/04/08/486813/circular-debt-to-be-rs50-60-billion-by-july-2020/

Carolina Red

Staff
New on the electricity situation. For those of you who don't know Pakistan has big problems with electricity.

1. There isn't enough of it to go around
2. The infrastructure to send it around is poor
3. There is load shedding
4. Nobody pays their bill (very Greek)
5. Govt subsides costs through borrowing
6. Govt doesn't pay it's bills either, causing loads of circular debt
7. Energy companies threaten to reduce or end output

So the new govt (and the previous one, even though they're a bunch of crooks) have kicked off projects to make more electricity. They're also ending subsidies, paying their bills to reduce circular debt, investigating and prosecuting people involved in theft, and finally investing in smart meters to prevent theft in the future!

https://www.brecorder.com/2019/04/08/486813/circular-debt-to-be-rs50-60-billion-by-july-2020/
What steps are they taking to cut down the electricity deficit?

Zlatattack

What steps are they taking to cut down the electricity deficit?
Increase generation. They recently opened up a coal plant the last government was making. Personally I wish it wasn't coal, but the need for energy is massive and importing oil is expensive.

Carolina Red

Staff
Increase generation. They recently opened up a coal plant the last government was making. Personally I wish it wasn't coal, but the need for energy is massive and importing oil is expensive.
Gotcha. I was wondering if they were going fossil fuels or green.

Zlatattack

So things have gone to shit security wise (in some parts of Balochistan and North Waziristan) and economically there is a phase of austerity coming in with an IMF bailout agreed, but the small positives are still there.

Zlatattack

Disabled people to get free health insurance and assistive devices.
https://www.dawn.com/news/1486926

Social Welfare fund doubled to protect poor against austerity measures
https://gulfnews.com/world/asia/pak...oubles-funds-for-social-protection-1.64367838

Tax to be imposed on Fizzy drinks and cigarettes

https://www.samaa.tv/news/2019/06/govt-to-impose-health-tax-on-cigarettes-and-cold-drinks/

state provided Health insurance to be rolled out across entire KPK province
https://dunyanews.tv/en/Pakistan/49...Sehat-Insaf-cards-facility-to-entire-province

70-100% loans to be provided to innovative tech based new businesses

https://www.techjuice.pk/govt-will-give-loans-for-execution-of-tech-based-business-ideas-fawad-ch/

Online healthcare service (Pakistani version of 111) to be launched in Punjab province

https://propakistani.pk/2019/06/10/govt-to-introduce-online-healthcare-service-in-punjab/

E-transfer policy for teachers in Punjab - this one might sound odd but a transparent clear transfer process with make the lives of teachers much easier who've previously had to bribe loads of officials to get transfered into other schools.
https://nation.com.pk/16-May-2019/cm-approves-e-transfer-policy-for-teachers

Zlatattack

So as you can see it's nothing incredible, but at the same time, lots of small positive changes.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
So things have gone to shit security wise (in some parts of Balochistan and North Waziristan) and economically there is a phase of austerity coming in with an IMF bailout agreed, but the small positives are still there.
Can you explain this ?

Zlatattack

Can you explain this ?
Yeah, basically Pakistani's don't like to pay tax. The country is living beyond it's means, regularly borrowing to spend on cost of running the country. They also borrow to build infrastructure and never borrow to build anything that might return some money.

So spending is going to go down, taxes are doing to go up. When I say spending, what I really mean is state subsidies. Everyone gets a subsidy for everything, energy and fuel especially but also public transport, fertiliser etc. A lot of non profit making state enterprises are being sold off too.

In a country of 220 million, 1 million pay taxes. The rest don't. Those days are on the way out.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
Yeah, basically Pakistani's don't like to pay tax. The country is living beyond it's means, regularly borrowing to spend on cost of running the country. They also borrow to build infrastructure and never borrow to build anything that might return some money.

So spending is going to go down, taxes are doing to go up. When I say spending, what I really mean is state subsidies. Everyone gets a subsidy for everything, energy and fuel especially but also public transport, fertiliser etc. A lot of non profit making state enterprises are being sold off too.

In a country of 220 million, 1 million pay taxes. The rest don't. Those days are on the way out.
In India 1.7% of the population paid income tax in the financial year ending 2018. Most of the stuff is also subsidized here and most govt run enterprises aren't run efficiently.

So what are we doing that you aren't ?