New Stadium or Revamp Old Trafford

Would you rather a new stadium or rebuild Old Trafford?

• New stadium

Votes: 730 51.7%
  • Rebuild Old Trafford

Votes: 683 48.3%

• Total voters

Juicy Juiced

Was in Madrid on some seminar, and have seen new Bernabeu. Jfc. We are lights years behind.

Mr. MUJAC

Manchester United Youth Historian
Depends on what vision you have.

Personally, I'd build a brand new stadium in the car park (if possible), surround the area with places to eat and drink (like Cardiff Stadium in the early 2000's when we went there for Cup Finals) and then redevelop the original ground for Reserves, youth and women's teams. You could take away the top tiers and make it into a 20,000+ stadium retaining all the older elements where desired.

Those teams could still use the newer stadium for big games.

It depends on what you want the whole 'space' to look like.

Wembley is still a hole regardless of how much money they have spent. Brand new stadiums like at Southampton, Sunderland, Middlesbrough and others are just soulless boxes.

But that's what building a legacy is all about...some big picture, long-term thinking...

...and a shed load of cash!

Reactions: Invictus

neon_badger

Personally, I'd build a brand new stadium in the car park (if possible), surround the area with places to eat and drink (like Cardiff Stadium in the early 2000's when we went there for Cup Finals) and then redevelop the original ground for Reserves, youth and women's teams. You could take away the top tiers and make it into a 20,000+ stadium retaining all the older elements where desired.

Wembley is still a hole regardless of how much money they have spent. Brand new stadiums like at Southampton, Sunderland, Middlesbrough and others are just soulless boxes.

But that's what building a legacy is all about...some big picture, long-term thinking...

I like the idea of retaining the old stadium in the event of building a new one, there's lots that can done with it, but I think this won't happen due to money, the 'old' Old Trafford could be converted into a hotel, much expanded museum, massive megastore etc...the problem that arises is there's only so much a fan can spend, the revenue required to support two stadiums would be huge and one would take from the other. I've been thinking about another option to justify keeping the original stadium, perhaps something like a MUFC academy/University that feeds the club and new stadium with young talent whilst supporting the community.

Reactions: Invictus

decorativeed

Careful, apparently this pragmatic view means you never go/have never been to the ground and don't know anything about the club's history. Someone from the newbies will be along any second to call you a muppet who wants the Qataris in.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
Careful, apparently this pragmatic view means you never go/have never been to the ground and don't know anything about the club's history. Someone from the newbies will be along any second to call you a muppet who wants the Qataris in.
Spot on

stevoc

I think it's probably worth also remembering that the north east quadrant is already only about 20m away from the Bridgewater Canal. It's a very tight corner down there and not much wiggle room between the canal on that side and the railway on the other.
Good point actually mate, I suppose when you look back OT has been pretty much land locked until the last 10-15 years. It doesn't look like there was enough room to move the pitch towards the Stretford end back in 1992 either.

stevoc

You had @UnitedSofa in here claiming the Nou Camp was in much better shape for a revamp as it’s been so well taken care of, completely ignoring that:

a) it hasn’t, it was a complete shithole that was falling apart.

and

b) The North, East & West Stands of Old Trafford… so 75% of the stadium has been completely rebuilt since Barca last did any renovations on the Camp Nou.

The entire North Stand is just 27 years old.
The first tiers of Stretty and East are 30 years old and the second tiers just 23 years old.

The Quads are 17 years old.
Indeed I know 3 people that have watched games there and 2 did the tour. They all said the same.

stevoc

It can be done but the time and effort it will take to do so plus lack of income. We might aswell play there whilst a new stadium is built with it only taking two years.

Forget Real and Barca. Look at Atletico. The atmosphere in that stadium is amazing too.
So £2B for a new stadium plus a shitload more money for a suitably sized plot of land somewhere in Manchester to build it on.

The current stadium could be demolished and rebuilt stand by stand as has been done in the past, with the team still playing there.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
So £2B for a new stadium plus a shitload more money for a suitably sized plot of land somewhere in Manchester to build it on.

The current stadium could be demolished and rebuilt stand by stand as has been done in the past, with the team still playing there.
That's totally inaccurate, United own enough land to build a stadium where they are now if that's the choice then it needs to be determined whether there's enough space to do so without demolishing the current one - probably not though

Mainoldo

So build a new stadium then :lol:

MarylandMUFan

stevoc

That's totally inaccurate, United own enough land to build a stadium where they are now if that's the choice then it needs to be determined whether there's enough space to do so without demolishing the current one - probably not though
Yes mate but that's my point, read the post I'm replying to. They said we can play at OT while the new stadium is being built. There likely isn't enough use able land around OT to build a new stadium without having to demolish part or all of OT first.

Spoony

The People's President
Yes mate but that's my point, read the post I'm replying to. They said we can play at OT while the new stadium is being built. There likely isn't enough use able land around OT to build a new stadium without having to demolish part or all of OT first.

There's more than enough land, Steve.

stevoc

There's more than enough land, Steve.
I'm not sure mate, I know the club owns the freight terminal but I doubt they could build on it.

I'm sure that is under a lease and it's not something that can be easily moved.

Spoony

The People's President
I'm not sure mate, I know the club owns the freight terminal but I doubt they could build on it.

They own the car park and beyond behind the Strettie and all. From a business perspective we could do with making the whole complex a money spinner. The Quays are only a stone's throw away. Barcelona are paying £25m per year in repayments, so it's not as if it can't be afforded by United.

Spoony

The People's President

It's very short-sighted and it's just no how we've done things in the past. OT was the best stadium in the world when it was built, and we're the first club to have executive boxes. So we've always looked to the future. I'm with you, a major overhaul of the ground is needed.

astracrazy

I'm sure that is under a lease and it's not something that can be easily moved.
I agree

Any map I've seen where someone tries to put a new stadium on top of land we own always put it on top of a railway line or the terminal. If we could build over a line then we'd of expanded the south stand years ago, and we might own the terminal but thats going to be with a 100year lease or something - no way we can demolish that.

I'm happy to be proved wrong, but I think we'd have to do it like Spurs did theirs.

stevoc

They own the car park and beyond behind the Strettie and all. From a business perspective we could do with making the whole complex a money spinner. The Quays are only a stone's throw away. Barcelona are paying £25m per year in repayments, so it's not as if it can't be afforded by United.
That doesn't look big enough to accommodate a stadium with a footprint comparable to Old Trafford though mate without demolishing the Stretford end.

Spoony

The People's President
That doesn't look big enough to accommodate a stadium with a footprint comparable to Old Trafford though mate without demolishing the Stretford end.

I've had a look at the map, and I don't see the issue, Steve. (I've forgotten how to link images...)

stevoc

I agree

Any map I've seen where someone tries to put a new stadium on top of land we own always put it on top of a railway line or the terminal. If we could build over a line then we'd of expanded the south stand years ago, and we might own the terminal but thats going to be with a 100year lease or something - no way we can demolish that.

I'm happy to be proved wrong, but I think we'd have to do it like Spurs did theirs.
Yeah the car park behind the Stretford end isn't that big. To build a new stadium on the same site without demolishing part of OT first we'd have to build on the terminal and I've no idea how practical that is.

Spoony

The People's President
Yeah the car park behind the Stretford end isn't that big. To build a new stadium on the same site without demolishing part of OT first we'd have to build on the terminal and I've no idea how practical that is.

They own beyond the car park. Steve how are posting images?

SouthMancRed

Cheimoon's Fault
If you park in the same place you've done for years, take the same train/tram to the same stop, drink pre-match in the same nearby pubs you've always done, get chips from the same chippy or walk down the same streets to get to a stadium on the same area of land that's either been totally revamped or a shinny new one that's moved a few metres over then it's still Old Trafford. It's still United's home. It's more spiritual than physical to me.

Last edited:

stevoc

They own beyond the car park. Steve how are posting images?
Over the canal?

I could be way off here but the car park in between the stadium, the canal and the terminal (assuming we cant build there). Doesn’t look big enough for a 70-80,00 seater stadium.

Just the usual way mate pasting an image address into the insert image tab.

NWRed

I'm not sure why people are speculating on this now, hasn't it already been decided? There will be no rebuild, no new stadium, they're patching up OT and Carrington with the money Ratcliffe is investing. That'll probably be enough to stop the roof leaking and to fix the tiles in the pool at Carrington.

stevoc

Not sure how that would work. Do think it could be turned into a gold mine. I'd love to see Trafford Wharf developed, extending the Quays this way.
Yeah turning the whole thing into a money making match day experience sounds great. Just not sure United have the money or land to achieve that.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
Where a new stadium can be built is on several of the pages in this very thread, don't know why we keep going over 'where would a new stadium even go" discussion.

wolvored

Fully agree. If money was no object this would be ideal. They could call it Trafford Arena/Park/Stadium etc and keep part of the name in there, if need be.
The trouble in developing the old stadium is there will still be distruptions to the railway line while building, even if they build over it, which will cause paying to BR or whoever runs it now. We will also have to play to a reduced crowd, or relocate to another stadium, while all the building work is done. Once again this is sucking money away from the club, which will never be recovered.
If we are hopefully moving into a new and better phase, gradually away from the parasites grasp, then surely we are deserving of a new start as well in a new arena.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
Fully agree. If money was no object this would be ideal. They could call it Trafford Arena/Park/Stadium etc and keep part of the name in there, if need be.
The trouble in developing the old stadium is there will still be distruptions to the railway line while building, even if they build over it, which will cause paying to BR or whoever runs it now. We will also have to play to a reduced crowd, or relocate to another stadium, while all the building work is done. Once again this is sucking money away from the club, which will never be recovered.
If we are hopefully moving into a new and better phase, gradually away from the parasites grasp, then surely we are deserving of a new start as well in a new arena.
Why not just call it Old Trafford, there's a reason why it was called that in the first place!

wolvored

Why not just call it Old Trafford, there's a reason why it was called that in the first place!
The poster I replied to said keep original for reserves etc just develop it a bit. So that would retain the name i would expect.