New Stadium or Revamp Old Trafford

Would you rather a new stadium or rebuild Old Trafford?

• New stadium

Votes: 670 49.9%
  • Rebuild Old Trafford

Votes: 673 50.1%

• Total voters

Dan_F

Just read that the Spotify will have 105,000 seats, surely we have to surpass that broken shameless club.
I think they will focus on hospitality, which means a reduced attendance from what is possible. 85-90k would be a fantastic number and the hospitality would probably pull in more money than an extra 10k tickets.

Barcelona have a ridiculous number of tourists for each game and it’s so easy to go on their website and buy a ticket, I don’t know how good that would be for the atmosphere at Old Trafford. Hopefully they supply the supporter branches with more tickets and increase season ticket holders before offering them out to anyone.

JinnerJamie

Small ginger
90k seems to be the sweet spot, build a new stadium but build it with future expansions in mind.

More leg room for you giants and a better selection of beers for us pissheads.

Single tier wall with safe standing rail seats behind each goals. Throw the away fans in a corner at the top with shit views and poor acoustics so we can’t hear them.

We had the drop around the edge of the pitch… swap it out for a piranha or sharks with fricken lazer beams attached to their heads style moat.

Last edited:

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
I know this was your 2nd choice but it’s pretty much my first.

Think your 100k point can’t be understated. You could feasibly, though with difficulty, rebuild OT to the 90-odd mark so if there is to be a new stadium it needs to truly be iconic In size and feel.

Being sympathetic to the current pitches location will surely be something they look at.
There's no point in a rebuild at all if you keep the pitch where it is.

That's the whole reason Old Trafford isn't 95k at the minute.

AFC NimbleThumb

There's no point in a rebuild at all if you keep the pitch where it is.

That's the whole reason Old Trafford isn't 95k at the minute.
By sympathetic to the current pitches location I am talking about the idea of downsizing Old Trafford after the new stadium is built to play women’s/youth games there with the pitch being in the same place it is now.

matherto

By sympathetic to the current pitches location I am talking about the idea of downsizing Old Trafford after the new stadium is built to play women’s/youth games there with the pitch being in the same place it is now.
Gotcha.

I do like the idea of having a small stadium around the current pitch for the women/youth teams.

If it means that it sorta links into the new stadium a la Cardiff or Dortmund perhaps then even better

Albeit I guess you could integrate it even further like a dugout under the angle of the seats perhaps to save a tiny, tiny bit more space? Turnstiles/access might be an issue though

Judging by the shape of our land it'd need to be L shaped if linked. Surely the new ground has to be rotated 90 degrees and we nominally call a big end stand the Stretford End.

RoyH1

90k seems to be the sweet spot, build a new stadium with but build it with future expansions in mind.

Single tier wall with safe standing rail seats behind each goals. Throw the away fans in a corner at the top with shit views and poor acoustics so we can’t hear them.

We had the drop around the edge of the pitch… swap it out for a piranha or sharks with fricken lazer beams attached to their heads style moat.
Love the idea. Fill the corner with some hardcore acoustic paneling and sell it to visiting fans as a "welcoming and relaxing atmosphere for our esteemed visitors"

matherto

I think we'll build on the current land and work out the details as we go, could end up with a strangely shaped stadium like Brentford's ground given the shape of the land.

Actually think we'd be better rotating the pitch 90 degrees and moving it northwest a bit and that would give us a better space to make something, but then you'd lose the idea that the Stretford End is that 'side' of the ground.
Just for more frame of reference with this one if you don't know about it.

It's penned in on three sides by railway lines so they got creative with the shape of the stands. You can pretty much create whatever you want as long as it gets planning permission so there's room to work the space properly.

We could easily go to the limit of the regulations for how steep the stands are to reduce the footprint. Makes me think of Kaiserslautern's Fritz-Walter Stadion. Potentially have the stand overhang so that the actual footprint is smaller over the rail yard/freight yard?

colombianmancunian

Going off topic, but your post leads me to a question: The last (and second) time I visited Ild Trafford I was 16 years old so couldn’t drink. What are the liquor options at OT (aside from beer which I dislike)? Planning on going on 2025.

JinnerJamie

Small ginger
Going off topic, but your post leads me to a question: The last (and second) time I visited Ild Trafford I was 16 years old so couldn’t drink. What are the liquor options at OT (aside from beer which I dislike)? Planning on going on 2025.
I managed to take my nephew to his first game the Lens friendly this past summer and in lower Stretford End. I had a pint of Carling (Not my fave) only option of larger and there was a cider option but I can't remember what it was (strongbow).

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
We could easily go to the limit of the regulations for how steep the stands are to reduce the footprint. Makes me think of Kaiserslautern's Fritz-Walter Stadion. Potentially have the stand overhang so that the actual footprint is smaller over the rail yard/freight yard?
Yeah I don’t understand why this wouldn’t be an option either. Seems pretty straightforward to me.
Either this or tunnel under the stadium for the railway line/station and free up the ground to enlarge the stadium footprint - although I guess that might entail understandable security concerns.

Spoony

The People's President
Just for more frame of reference with this one if you don't know about it.

It's penned in on three sides by railway lines so they got creative with the shape of the stands. You can pretty much create whatever you want as long as it gets planning permission so there's room to work the space properly.

How steep can we go? 35°?

sparx99

Again, cost of attending matches post new build/revamp has to be a factor.

Man Utd’s global fan base has also allowed match day tickets to stay releatively cheap compared to other places. All that merchandise and other revenues, sponsors etc contributes to the funding.

MancunianAngels

Supports
FC United
Man Utd’s global fan base has also allowed match day tickets to stay releatively cheap compared to other places. All that merchandise and other revenues, sponsors etc contributes to the funding.
Fair but if new stadium means a huge increase for matchgoing fans then what's the point? That's the point she's trying go make.

wolvored

They should go for at least 100k and maybe bigger. Make a statement. We're the big dogs, so we need the biggest stadium in UK

BabySinclair

Gotcha.

I do like the idea of having a small stadium around the current pitch for the women/youth teams.

If it means that it sorta links into the new stadium a la Cardiff or Dortmund perhaps then even better

Albeit I guess you could integrate it even further like a dugout under the angle of the seats perhaps to save a tiny, tiny bit more space? Turnstiles/access might be an issue though

Judging by the shape of our land it'd need to be L shaped if linked. Surely the new ground has to be rotated 90 degrees and we nominally call a big end stand the Stretford End.
Look to Leverkusen.....another good example.

Adz_99

I'm really uncomfortable with the idea of moving, all those memories consigned to the history books. Liverpool expanded anfield. Barca expanded the nou camp. Real expanded the Bernabau. Why can't we do the same?

I desperately want the team to stay put. if we can expand the capacity of Old Trafford then great. And if not? Oh well never mind. What's the obsession with having a stadium that seats the entire population of Manchester anyway?

sparx99

Fair but if new stadium means a huge increase for matchgoing fans then what's the point? That's the point she's trying go make.
Increasing revenue is important to cover transfer and wages especially under the new premier league rules.

MancunianAngels

Supports
FC United
Increasing revenue is important to cover transfer and wages especially under the new premier league rules.
Maybe we should start being careful about transfers then and stop spending 100 million on the likes of Antony?

There's no reason for the clubs to increase ticket prices that much. If they do, don't be surprised when there's another massive decline in atmosphere as local fans can no longer afford to go and it becomes a once or twice a season treat.

matherto

I'm really uncomfortable with the idea of moving, all those memories consigned to the history books. Liverpool expanded anfield. Barca expanded the nou camp. Real expanded the Bernabau. Why can't we do the same?

I desperately want the team to stay put. if we can expand the capacity of Old Trafford then great. And if not? Oh well never mind. What's the obsession with having a stadium that seats the entire population of Manchester anyway?
1. We'd be reducing the capacity if we wanted OT up to code. Each part of the ground would be rebuilt anyway (so you end up with a new ground) for more legroom, bigger concourses, better facilities for normal and corporate fans, etc. OT as it is cannot stay and be 'refurbished', there's no point
2. If we're gonna do that then we're gonna have to move away from the railway line. You might not want a stadium that seats the entire population of Manchester but if they're gonna do anything to the ground, you'd think they'd add seats to gain some money back - to do that, we have to move further away from the railway line.
3. Yes, Liverpool, Barca and Real have expanded their current grounds but they were more suitable for doing exactly that and they're now world class - do we not want a world class stadium to compete with other massive clubs?
4. Those memories are already in the history books. The point is you make new memories. Before you know it 30/40/50 years have passed and whatever we play in has memories. It's not the ground, it's the club and the players and the managers and the matches.
5. We're not gonna move halfway round Manchester, we'd still be in roughly the same place. It'd still be the same matchday routines, still the same pubs, takeaways, burger vans, walking the same routes, etc.
6. We need to progress, not stay stagnant like we have done under the Glazers.

Fergies Gum

Gary Neville should not be allowed to be involved with any of this. Its a clear financial conflict of interest and the last thing we need is advisers making suggestions when they have their own business interests at mind.

TrebleChamp99

Supports Liverpool
Wow the project has a lot more legs than we initially thought.
The scope sounds truly huge and amazing.

We could be looking at 100-90k stadium with insane infrastructure.

Also since Gary is heavily involved you can bet your arse hes had meetings and knows a little more about the manager situation than he may be letting on.

TrebleChamp99

Supports Liverpool
Gary Neville should not be allowed to be involved with any of this. Its a clear financial conflict of interest and the last thing we need is advisers making suggestions when they have their own business interests at mind.
The whole area has various businesses that will benefit. What a bizarre take.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
Wow the project has a lot more legs than we initially thought.
The scope sounds truly huge and amazing.

We could be looking at 100-90k stadium with insane infrastructure.

Also since Gary is heavily involved you can bet your arse hes had meetings and knows a little more about the manager situation than he may be letting on.
Doubt it, Ashworth/Berrada seem like the type to keep their cards close to their chest, I don't think any long term decision happens till we have Ashworth and they would not inform Gary the mouthy bastard if they had something in mind.