New Stadium or Revamp Old Trafford

Would you rather a new stadium or rebuild Old Trafford?

• New stadium

Votes: 670 49.9%
  • Rebuild Old Trafford

Votes: 673 50.1%

• Total voters

Hoof the ball

Easily 100,000 seater. We'd fill that.

New stadium names?

Gold Trafford.
New Old Trafford
Old Trafford 2
Trad Bricks Stadium
The Bebe Bowl
McDonald's Stadium

Last edited:

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
SJR Mentions Nou Camp as a benchmark, so are we aiming for a 100k seater stadium?

3KDré

He really has just simply just gone and got the most qualified people to do these jobs.

Adz_99

He really has just simply just gone and got the most qualified people to do these jobs.
The difference between Jim and the Glazers couldn't be anymore stark.

Goes to show what a competent businessman can get done as opposed to Malcolm Glazers kids who apparently don't know a thing about business.

Teja

I think they're going to fund a new stadium - Blanc's whole pet project at Juve was justifying the costs associated with the new stadium and pushing for it to built so his appointment is a signal in that general direction.

At the very least even if they choose to revamp OT, I'm confident that it will happen and significant sums will be invested into it.

Not sure if they're romantic enough to not sell out the stadium naming rights etc. They all seem like proper serious business people and we do need a large amount of funding for the stadium.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
They have big plans for the stadium and the surrounding area. I think, longterm, Jim wants to be able to get England games up in the north too but that'll be tough obviously.

Cloud7

Gary Neville should not be allowed to be involved with any of this. Its a clear financial conflict of interest and the last thing we need is advisers making suggestions when they have their own business interests at mind.
Surely someone who owns a business across the road from the stadium, a business that is associated with the club by its name, owned by someone who is a club legend, is someone who the club might want to be involved in a project that involves the area around the club?

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
Chaired by Lord Sebastian Coe, former Chair of the organising committee for the 2012 London Olympics, the task force will assess the feasibility of a new stadium of national significance equipped to host international games and finals, as well as providing a modernised home for Manchester United.

Exciting times ahead!!

AFC NimbleThumb

Not sure if they're romantic enough to not sell out the stadium naming rights etc. They all seem like proper serious business people and we do need a large amount of funding for the stadium.
I reckon the new site will still be called Old Trafford & if the naming rights do go to some company everyone will still say they’re ’off to Old Trafford’ regardless.

The Staples Centre is now CryptoArena, no one calls it the latter in any way other than to mock it.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
Gary Neville should not be allowed to be involved with any of this. Its a clear financial conflict of interest and the last thing we need is advisers making suggestions when they have their own business interests at mind.
Ratcliffe will have his (our) interests in mind.

If it goes ahead and Peel (as advised) are main developers, John Whittaker will have his interests in mind.

Gary Neville trying to outfox Ratcliffe and Whittaker would be hilarious to see. Like a goldfish trying to make two sharks do what he wants.

diarm

Surely someone who owns a business across the road from the stadium, a business that is associated with the club by its name, owned by someone who is a club legend, is someone who the club might want to be involved in a project that involves the area around the club?
He’s as much a stakeholder in any redevelopment of the area as the club is. The idea that he wouldn’t be involved in the process and such a task force is ridiculous.

It also doesn’t mean he will be entitled to a say on the stadium plans, which only make up the clubs specific part of the wider plan.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
He’s as much a stakeholder in any redevelopment of the area as the club is. The idea that he wouldn’t be involved in the process and such a task force is ridiculous.

It also doesn’t mean he will be entitled to a say on the stadium plans, which only make up the clubs specific part of the wider plan.
this is such a weird take.

sparx99

I reckon the new site will still be called Old Trafford & if the naming rights do go to some company everyone will still say they’re ’off to Old Trafford’ regardless.

The Staples Centre is now CryptoArena, no one calls it the latter in any way other than to mock it.
Which is funny because Staples paid the original naming rights. Just like Air Canada Centre in Toronto is now Scotiabank Arena. People get attached to the first brand name.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
You think a person who owns land and a business within a space that is being planned for redevelopment, shouldn’t be involved in the redevelopment process?
He’s only on the “force” from what I’m reading as like an advisor kinda thing. Why wouldn’t a club legend, who has multiple businesses in the area, who is a successful businessman not be involved in the stadium plan.

While I agree he should be involved from a business standpoint, I feel he should be even more involved in the design of the stadium or at least give his views considering he is one of the most successful players off the pitch since his retirement United have had, he’ll know what a modern stadium should retain from the “old” Old Trafford

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
New stadium name will be sold to the highest bidder without a doubt.

No business turns down the kind of money sponsorship brings

RedRocket08

Easily 100,000 seater. We'd fill that.

New stadium names?

Gold Trafford.
New Old Trafford
Old Trafford 2
Trad Bricks Stadium
The Bebe Bowl
McDonald's Stadium
Squeaky bums bowl
Wembley of the North
Red Kingdom - and we light fires all over the place when the players enter the pitch, like West Ham and their darn bubbles
Theatre of dreams

I like Old Trafford though, so maybe it becomes INEOS Old Trafford :)

diarm

He’s only on the “force” from what I’m reading as like an advisor kinda thing. Why wouldn’t a club legend, who has multiple businesses in the area, who is a successful businessman not be involved in the stadium plan.

While I agree he should be involved from a business standpoint, I feel he should be even more involved in the design of the stadium or at least give his views considering he is one of the most successful players off the pitch since his retirement United have had, he’ll know what a modern stadium should retain from the “old” Old Trafford
I don’t disagree with that at all. My personal view is that I’d involve plenty of club heroes like him in the stadium planning process.

My point was that this task force is about more than just the stadium planning process. It’s about the entire area, in which Gary is a stakeholder of his own accord.

I was responding to someone who said he shouldn’t be allowed any input, and pointing out why that was a ridiculous opinion.

Nogbadthebad

Not sure why there is a commotion about Neville being involved.

Few people in the country have as much experience as he has in terms of large scale commercial property development in Manchester. He understands the needs of the club, he knows the team at the council, and hes delivered multiple successful projects. Also, whatever is built will be built around his hotel.

It would be silly not to get him on board.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
I don’t disagree with that at all. My personal view is that I’d involve plenty of club heroes like him in the stadium planning process.

My point was that this task force is about more than just the stadium planning process. It’s about the entire area, in which Gary is a stakeholder of his own accord.

I was responding to someone who said he shouldn’t be allowed any input, and pointing out why that was a ridiculous opinion.
Oh I see, apologies.

I think because the stadium will have a wider effect on the surrounding businesses, Gary's included, I think he should also be involved in that aspects. Other businesses also affect his too, so I very much doubt he'd only have his interests at heart.

Green55

I'm really uncomfortable with the idea of moving, all those memories consigned to the history books. Liverpool expanded anfield. Barca expanded the nou camp. Real expanded the Bernabau. Why can't we do the same?

I desperately want the team to stay put. if we can expand the capacity of Old Trafford then great. And if not? Oh well never mind. What's the obsession with having a stadium that seats the entire population of Manchester anyway?
I understand the sentimentality of retaining the existing stadium but also recognise that due to recent neglection we're miles behind our competitors. Just a thought (without delving too deeply into things) - we could contemplate building a new stadium that partially overlaps the existing. The new stadium could be orientated such that the existing Stretford End (West Stand) becomes the new South-East Stand. We could build three sides of the new stadium whilst stil playing at Old Trafford and then build the remaining new stand after Old Trafford is demolished.
With a significant increase in the capacity of the new stadium the three new sides should enable sufficient capacity for matches whilst the 4th stand is erected thereafter.
With our stature in the game we really should be making a statement with our new stadium so why not aim for 100K + with space for future upgrades!
A bit pie-in-the-sky but just a thought .

Victorian values

Supports
Linfield
Emirates Old Trafford is already taken but the new ground will still be, and be I Old Trafford, so it will be called The McDonald's Old Trafford Arena or the McDonald's Arena Old Trafford (or whatever company we side to pony up enough dosh).
As to capacity and tickets, I would be very surprised if there are any - many more match tickets for the "ordinary" fan, but a lot more corporate options, from 5 or 6 star banquets pre game to lounges with a chicken curry and rice or beef strogonoff and chips with a complimentary programme for a ticket about £25 -£30 more than a similar match Day ticket.
The prices for season tickets and match Day tickets I don't think will increase too much, but if the current "match Day spend" is £5 on average, they will be looking to increase this to £15 - £20 per ticket with better concourse facilities and a fan village close by encouraging fans to get to the ground a couple of hours before kick-off and or staying an hour or so after the final whistle, rather than sipping in Yates, The Nags Head or Bishops etc

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
Fenway Park smells like piss and is very uncomfortable. They will never move. Why? Because it's a baseball institution - just like Old Trafford.

Most fans regret the new shiny toy. No I don't go to Old Trafford. I get it. Perhaps it is uncomfortable and outdated. But that history. It's quite magical. You are there for 2 hours. You can be a little cramped for that time and take in the fact you are sitting in one of the top 5 stadiums for memories on earth.

Revamp..don't move. Please.