New Stadium or Revamp Old Trafford

Would you rather a new stadium or rebuild Old Trafford?

• New stadium

Votes: 670 49.9%
  • Rebuild Old Trafford

Votes: 673 50.1%

• Total voters

MancunianAngels

Supports
FC United
You could argue that has already happened to OT. Lots of regulars have been priced out and the atmosphere is generally poor. I’ve got no issues with a new stadium if the fans are absolutely at the core of what their vision is.
Agree with some elements of what you say here.

Despite what the media say though, Old Trafford has one of the better atmospheres in the league. Away fans have a good spot. For all its faults, it is still a decent stadium that has been designed for football fans. It certainly needs a bit of a revamp to be brought into 2023 but nowhere near the levels spoken about on here.

If we moved into some new stadium, locals would be even more priced out and we'd probably move into a soulless three tier bowl that would be designed to suit sponsors.

In addition, what's also interesting is aside from City, who were basically given their ground by the council in 2003, very few English teams have actually improved on the pitch once they have moved grounds. In fact, in most cases, clubs have suffered. It's taken Arsenal the best part of a decade to get close to challenging again. The finances we'd have to commit to a new ground would clearly have a negative impact in the short to medium term.

always_hoping

It just isn’t. It isn’t even that old.

The north stand was built in 1995, the quadrants were improved in 2006. A comprehensive renovation and extra tier on the sir Bobby stand is all we need.
It isn't though a lot calling for a new stadium are probably too young to recall the previous redevelopments.

Another redevelopment required now and if Liverpool are doing that with their older stadium then why can't Old Trafford?

matt10000

It is estimated that redevelopment and expansion of Old Trafford in its current form would cost upwards of £800 million and has been cited internally as an eight-year project. A new stadium could cost as much as £2 billion.

So basically near enough half the outlay for a redevelopment to a new stadium. Makes more financial sense to build a new one for the amount you spend on redevelopment.
I just asked you to show me the maths that demonstrates that it would cost as much to renovate OT as build a new stadium and you come back with
£800 million = £2,000 million

hahahaha thank you for brightening up my day with your humour

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff

It is estimated that redevelopment and expansion of Old Trafford in its current form would cost upwards of £800 million and has been cited internally as an eight-year project. A new stadium could cost as much as £2 billion.

So basically near enough half the outlay for a redevelopment to a new stadium. Makes more financial sense to build a new one for the amount you spend on redevelopment.
And who is going to stump up the estimated 2bn for a brand new stadium?

Judas

Open to offers
Old Trafford from a nostalgic point of view means so much to me, so many memories of going there with my dad all through my childhood, well into adulthood. It really would break my heart to see us move to an entirely new stadium :(

Grande

‘The building is reaching the end of its natural life - the cabling, electricity supplies, everything is nearing its sell by date. I would say updating is crucial not just to maintain the club's position but just to keep the place functional"
[Picture of the Eiffel Tower]

glasgow 21

Whatever the outcome you just know it wont be called Old Trafford at the end of this.

Toblerone92

Initially. Please don’t make out that the investment will stop there. It clearly won’t.

Fans need to have some patience and allow ineos to get through the door before declaring them failures.
I’m sorry but this is a reactionary football forum so expecting any kind of remotely sensible position or patience whatsoever is frankly unrealistic.

matt10000

Make New Trafford happen please
Who says it wud be built in Trafford?

Citeh moved to the othwr side of the city……In fact many fans on here have stated that Man Utd is not a local club but an international brand and so it would nlt bother them if we built it inParis

Last edited:

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Whatever the outcome you just know it wont be called Old Trafford at the end of this.
New Old Trafford.

But by the time it's built it'll be out of date so it's unofficial name will be Old New Old Trafford.

They should call it Bridgewater, if I was to pick.

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
It isn't though a lot calling for a new stadium are probably too young to recall the previous redevelopments.

Another redevelopment required now and if Liverpool are doing that with their older stadium then why can't Old Trafford?
Exactly… look at the Nou Camp, Look at the Bernabeu. It’s about history and tradition. Its prestige and ‘eritage! Teams like Spurs and Everton can move to brand new stadiums because they haven’t got any fecking history!

Last edited:

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
I just asked you to show me the maths that demonstrates that it would cost as much to renovate OT as build a new stadium and you come back with
£800 million = £2,000 million

hahahaha thank you for brightening up my day with your humour
FFS :lol: :lol:

That is CLEARLY not what I’m saying.

If you’re having to spend nigh on a billion (200M short) just having to spruce the place up a little and renovate it by 20,000 seats. You may as well just double it and make a brand new top of line, best in class, world class technological stadium.

Hope this brightens up your day.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
Exactly… look at the Nou Camp, Look at the Bernabeu. It’s about history and tradition. Its prestige and ‘eritage! Teams like Spurs and Everton can move to brand new stadiums because they haven’t got an fecking history!
Bernabeu and Nou Camp haven’t been left to rot nigh on beyond repair over the course of 17 years though.

Plant0x84

If you’re having to spend nigh on a billion (200M short) just having to spruce the place up a little and renovate it by 20,000 seats. You may as well just double it and make a brand new top of line, best in class, world class technological stadium.

We are talking multi-billion project here. You casually throw in ‘just double it’ like it’s spare change!

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
We are talking multi-billion project here. You casually throw in ‘just double it’ like it’s spare change!
While the initial outlay is a lot, long term it could bring much more money into the club. Stadium could be used as an NFL stadium or a concert arena much like Spurs. Teams need to expand their avenue streams and this is one way to do it.

reddev3

Initially. Please don’t make out that the investment will stop there. It clearly won’t.

Fans need to have some patience and allow ineos to get through the door before declaring them failures.
I think his point is that they're not going to put 300 million in to fixing something and then knock that down as you would have just lit 300 million on fire. They may well put a lot more than 300 million in but if he's investing 300 million now to fix the current stadium it will be a slim to none chance that it will be on a brand new stadium.

Plant0x84

I think his point is that they're not going to put 300 million in to fixing something and then knock down what has just been fixed as you would have just lit 300 million on fire. They may well put a lot more than 300 million in but if he's investing 300 million now to fix the current stadium it will be a slim to none chance that it will be on a brand new stadium.
It’s not all necessarily all for OT, it may be invested into Carrington too.
I have also seen it suggested that the investment could be a ‘deposit’ for finance on building work whether that means renovate or a totally new build. Could be feasible. We simply don’t know at the moment.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
The preference should be to redevelop. Because there's no reason to get rid of Old Trafford if you can avoid it.

But if the architects, owners or whoever ultimately come to the conclusion that the most efficient way to get a top end stadium is to build a new one then it would be weird to complain if they opt to do so. Really just depends on what the projected costs and differences are.

The important thing is no longer being in a situation where our owners are unwilling/unable to do either, or do no more than patchwork repairs.

Critical Thinking

From a both environmental and historical standpoint, a redevelopment will be a more reasonable option.

matt10000

The preference should be to redevelop. Because there's no reason to get rid of Old Trafford if you can avoid it.

But if the architects, owners or whoever ultimately come to the conclusion that the most efficient way to get a top end stadium is to build a new one then it would be weird to complain if they opt to do so. Really just depends on what the projected costs and differences are.

The important thing is no longer being in a situation where our owners are unwilling/unable to do either, or do no more than patchwork repairs.
Depends what that means doesn’t it. If making it financially feasible means moving away from Salford and buying huge piece of cheap land in the middle of nowhere outside of Manchester/Salford then I am sure many would complain.

JeffFromHK

Rebuild.
Old Trafford is a brand. Much more a brand than White Hart Lane or Highbury.

matt10000

If UnitedSofa has been working for HS2 then this is pretty normal practice….

reddev3

I have also seen it suggested that the investment could be a ‘deposit’ for finance on building work whether that means renovate or a totally new build. Could be feasible. We simply don’t know at the moment.
Either way his point still stands (If I'm understanding him correctly) he won't be looking to put 100+ million pound into this stadium if he had any interest in building a new one.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
It doesn't even have to be used on infrastructure. As per the SEC filing that's its intended use but it isn't ring-fenced and can still be put towards the club’s “ordinary course of business” if required.

Dan_F

Bernabeu and Nou Camp haven’t been left to rot nigh on beyond repair over the course of 17 years though.
Really? The Nou Camp was a shell of a stadium. It was definitely in a worse state than OT.

Mainoldo

The fact you had to explain it :lol:

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine

I wasn't declaring them failures, I'd rather they spend the money on revamping OT then spending billions on a new stadium.
What they have promised so far is perfect.

MDFC Manager

I think his point is that they're not going to put 300 million in to fixing something and then knock that down as you would have just lit 300 million on fire. They may well put a lot more than 300 million in but if he's investing 300 million now to fix the current stadium it will be a slim to none chance that it will be on a brand new stadium.
That $300m can be used for non infrastructure purposes as well. Jim may decide that a new stadium makes more sense and let that happen later on.

always_hoping

Bernabeu was expanded in 2011, the Camp Nou was last renovated in 1994. They are absolutely in the same boat as OT.
A little bit of research would go a long way for UnitedSofa. I was in Camp Nou for Messi debut season and the big talk back then was to renovate the stadium which was only done recently. Was in the Bernabeu last in 2008 and it was in worse shape then than Old Trafford currently is.

Hoof the ball

Definitely prefer to renovate Old Trafford and retain the history - just look at what Real Madrid and Barca are doing as an example

However it may well be more cost effective to knock down and rebuild
Yeah, I think it's also very important to try to retain something of the aesthetic in some fashion. You want a preservation of identity coupled with state of the art innovation and improvements. Easier said than done, however, some effort to accomplish this would be very much welcomed.

On the chance that we build a new stadium, I assume it'll be Nou Trafford. :lol: