Gaming New World - MMO developed by Amazon

Ekeke

I think both combat and PvP have enough differences from other MMOs to make them unique in my opinion. Like I said, you're in a game genre that's been done a lot and if you're looking for something totally new that doesn't borrow anything from previous games, well then....
It borrows a lot from survival games, and the combat and pvp are lacklustre compared to other mmos. Compared to BDO or even the animations in final fantasy, the combat looks like a game from 10 years ago

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
Lots of new servers coming in, and they're raising cap on servers too.
I think it's ok to keep the cap quite low in the beginning and open up more when people spread more in the world.

I was on early yesterday, and having some days off, i got in 17,5 hours :lol:

Am enjoying the game.

Last edited:

MadMike

It borrows a lot from survival games, and the combat and pvp are lacklustre compared to other mmos. Compared to BDO or even the animations in final fantasy, the combat looks like a game from 10 years ago
Every game will borrow a lot from other games. Borrowing cross genre, from survival and FPS games, is pretty cool in my opinion. I don't recall a single MMO you can't levy the "borrowing" argument against.

I like the PvP types offered. It is certainly feels better than current MMO top dogs: WoW, FFXIV or ESO. Like BDO, it has open world PvP flagging and impactful wars with town/area ownership and controlling of tax rates etc. We obviously disagree here but I intensely dislike BDO and FFXIV animations and find NW to be on a whole different (much higher) level. I like light-touch as opposed to filling your screen with particles and numbers. I like ESO animations for example much more than BDO and FFXIV.

The combat does need improvement though. Only 6 skills available, most of which on long cooldowns, means most of your combat is light attack spamming. There's no animation cancelling which makes it a bit slow. There's also a ton of Damage + CC skills but no CC immunity. With the right equipped weapons (S&B and Warhammer for example) you can stun-lock people until they die. But hey it's a new game, I'm happy to give them some time to improve on combat.

Grylte

The combat does need improvement though. Only 6 skills available, most of which on long cooldowns, means most of your combat is light attack spamming.
I don't mind that, really, it's more about timing of the abilities than spamming them.
If you compare to a game like wow, even if you have 40+ abilities, your rotation will be 2-4 of them only.

MadMike

I don't mind that, really, it's more about timing of the abilities than spamming them.
If you compare to a game like wow, even if you have 40+ abilities, your rotation will be 2-4 of them only.
Every game requires timing and combo-ing of certain skills, NW is not unique in that. But ultimately, if you don't spam abilities on global cooldown then you spam light attacks and I tend to prefer the former.

The difference to other MMOs, is that NW went away with buff/debuff skills and so they really cut down on the number of skills. You only have 3 per weapon and a maximum of 6 for your character in total. ESO and GW2 had the fewest skills I had seen with 11-12 and NW literally halved the previous minimum. In NW, buffs and debuffs are either wrapped up in the passives or are part of the linear skill upgrades. As a result you can have a single skill for example that does damage, cc, DOT, armor rend, grant speed bonus and heal you. And you think omg this is amazing, but then the skill will have a 30 sec cool down and in the meantime you just run around spamming light attacks.

I think BDO and ESO had the best combat. It felt really fast paced and impactful and buff maintenance was there, but it was minimal. WoW with its ~50 skills is a dinosaur, I can't play that anymore :lol:

Last edited:

NoLogo

Played it in Beta and lost all interest while playing, simply not my cup of tea.

The queue situation also seems to be a bit of a problem the community created themselves? Last time I was watching for a couple of minutes on Twitch, Shroud mentioned that pretty much all the big streamers are currently playing on the same server and of course all the fans followed there, no wonder the server is completely overflowing.

MadMike

Played it in Beta and lost all interest while playing, simply not my cup of tea.

The queue situation also seems to be a bit of a problem the community created themselves? Last time I was watching for a couple of minutes on Twitch, Shroud mentioned that pretty much all the big streamers are currently playing on the same server and of course all the fans followed there, no wonder the server is completely overflowing.
Errm no. You're speaking based on 0 factual information.

EU-Central had 100 different servers on launch and all were maxed out with queues higher than they their capacity (2k player capacity servers with 3k-5k players queues). They have added new servers (currently there's 150) but this isn't fixing the problem. Because characters are locked to servers and you can't move them, you'd have to start new chars on other servers. And you only have 2 char slots so likely you'd have to delete chars too. Some solo casual players are moving, but guilds are not yet.

They can increase capacity which risks degrading server performance or allow players to move chars and introduce a cooldown for this to prevent abuse of server-hopping. Whether that's pheasible based on the architecture is another question.

Last edited:

NoLogo

Errm no. You're speaking based on 0 factual information.

EU-Central had 100 different servers on launch and all were maxed out with queues higher than they their capacity (2k player capacity servers with 3k-5k players queues). They are added new servers (currently there's 150) but this isn't fixing the problem. Because characters are locked to servers and you can't move them, you'd have to start new chars. And you only have 2 char slots so likely you'd have to delete chars too. Some solo players are moving, but guilds are not.
Agreed I was probably talking bollocks since my information is based on about 10 minutes of listining to Shroud's stream.

Well but 100 maxed out servers, that's some serious amount of games they must have sold. Any data on how many copies they sold so far?

MadMike

Agreed I was probably talking bollocks since my information is based on about 10 minutes of listining to Shroud's stream.

Well but 100 maxed out servers, that's some serious amount of games they must have sold. Any data on how many copies they sold so far?
No idea, they haven't published anything specific yet. But through Steam alone there were over 700k concurrent players on launch day which was the highest recorded for a game launch. They are currently the second most played game (daily grain) on the whole steam platform, only behind CS:GO.
https://store.steampowered.com/stats/

It's safe to estimate sales of at least 3-4 times that number. So they must have sold a few million copies.

Bosws87

Always gonna be the case it will be the long term numbers which will be interesting, being able to use the worlds biggest streaming platform as a permanent advertisement for your game as you own both was always going to be a winner, im guessing they will be pushing loads of extra free stuff via Twitch prime and drops too.

Ekeke

Every game will borrow a lot from other games. Borrowing cross genre, from survival and FPS games, is pretty cool in my opinion. I don't recall a single MMO you can't levy the "borrowing" argument against.

I like the PvP types offered. It is certainly feels better than current MMO top dogs: WoW, FFXIV or ESO. Like BDO, it has open world PvP flagging and impactful wars with town/area ownership and controlling of tax rates etc. We obviously disagree here but I intensely dislike BDO and FFXIV animations and find NW to be on a whole different (much higher) level. I like light-touch as opposed to filling your screen with particles and numbers. I like ESO animations for example much more than BDO and FFXIV.

The combat does need improvement though. Only 6 skills available, most of which on long cooldowns, means most of your combat is light attack spamming. There's no animation cancelling which makes it a bit slow. There's also a ton of Damage + CC skills but no CC immunity. With the right equipped weapons (S&B and Warhammer for example) you can stun-lock people until they die. But hey it's a new game, I'm happy to give them some time to improve on combat.
Combat has always been a problem since the alpha. This is the improved version. Before your skills would be on cooldown if you switched weapons, meaning you only had 3 to use even if you switched. Now you have 6.

MadMike

Combat has always been a problem since the alpha. This is the improved version. Before your skills would be on cooldown if you switched weapons, meaning you only had 3 to use even if you switched. Now you have 6.
Yeah on that I can agree with you

evil_geko

Guild Wars 2 still has the best MMORPG combat for me, and it's crazy how p2w grindy BDO is mentioned as one of the big MMO boys, but GW2 is nowhere to be mentioned, I guess Anet terrible marketing is at fault.

Ekeke

Guild Wars 2 still has the best MMORPG combat for me, and it's crazy how p2w grindy BDO is mentioned as one of the big MMO boys, but GW2 is nowhere to be mentioned, I guess Anet terrible marketing is at fault.
Because thats all it has. BDO has graphics, animations, the best combat and then it has terrible player unfriendly systems, p2w, extremely boring gameplay loop etc.

You can praise 1 part and think that MMOs that come out 6 years later need to be trying to get somewhere near as good as an MMO that came out in 2015, without saying its a great MMO

The animations previewed for Final Fantasy XIV : Endwalker are finally starting to catch up, everyone else's look like a game that came out 10 years ago. BDO showed that doesnt need to be the case. You can have a game that looks somewhere in the ballpark of a Double A single player game

MadMike

Good, yes. Best, not by a long shot. Well not in my opinion anyway.

Because thats all it has. BDO has graphics, animations, the best combat and then it has terrible player unfriendly systems, p2w, extremely boring gameplay loop etc.
Graphics were good but animations are a bit subjective, like I mentioned I didn't particularly like the skill animations and effects in BDO. But the combat (bar the positional desyncs due to lag) was sublime.

The way each skill could be activated with a unique button combination instead of a hot key, was reminiscent of arcade combat games like Street Fighter and felt both very fluid and highly rewarding of practice. Shame it was a p2w grindfest.

Ekeke

Good, yes. Best, not by a long shot. Well not in my opinion anyway.

Graphics were good but animations are a bit subjective, like I mentioned I didn't particularly like the skill animations and effects in BDO. But the combat (bar the positional desyncs due to lag) was sublime.

The way each skill could be activated with a unique button combination instead of a hot key, was reminiscent of arcade combat games like Street Fighter and felt both very fluid and highly rewarding of practice. Shame it was a p2w grindfest.
Yeah thats the part I'm mostly talking about. There are certainly times where the particle effects were either similar between classes (lots of black swirls) or just very anime with a lot going on. But in terms of the action combat, the control, the responsiveness (when you werent lagging with 100 vs 100) its been so far ahead of MMOs since it came out.

Btw when I have said New World borrows from other games, and borrows from survival games I didnt say it was a bad thing. World of Warcraft wasnt all that original either, it borrowed heavily from other games. And New World borrowing from Survival games like Rust or Ark etc is different for an MMO anyway, so thats still kinda new. You can really see it in the interface, menus and crafting systems. And they look nice as far as I'm concerned.

Overall I'm very interested to see where New World is in a month or two. I made my prediction that there will be lots of refunds, but making a prediction is fun to see if you get it right or not. I may not. But from my personal experience of the game, before they made some improvements, just not enough to make me interested was that it was kinda pretty but lacked the depth I'd want from an MMO and there are alternatives that have that. I did watch plenty of streams with the updates, for me the biggest problems were the PVE content and AI needing a huge amount of work, and the boring combat style

MadMike

Yeah thats the part I'm mostly talking about. There are certainly times where the particle effects were either similar between classes (lots of black swirls) or just very anime with a lot going on. But in terms of the action combat, the control, the responsiveness (when you werent lagging with 100 vs 100) its been so far ahead of MMOs since it came out.

Btw when I have said New World borrows from other games, and borrows from survival games I didnt say it was a bad thing. World of Warcraft wasnt all that original either, it borrowed heavily from other games. And New World borrowing from Survival games like Rust or Ark etc is different for an MMO anyway, so thats still kinda new. You can really see it in the interface, menus and crafting systems. And they look nice as far as I'm concerned.

Overall I'm very interested to see where New World is in a month or two. I made my prediction that there will be lots of refunds, but making a prediction is fun to see if you get it right or not. I may not. But from my personal experience of the game, before they made some improvements, just not enough to make me interested was that it was kinda pretty but lacked the depth I'd want from an MMO and there are alternatives that have that. I did watch plenty of streams with the updates, for me the biggest problems were the PVE content and AI needing a huge amount of work, and the boring combat style
I think any new game is bound to lack some depth and add it gradually after release. It's difficult to match games that have had a decade or more of post-release development from day 1. I'm not really a PvE guy, I only do as much as it's needed to level and gear up for PvP. So I don't mind the lack of depth in PvE content so much.

If they increase the number of skills per weapon to at least 4 (if not 5), add some cc immunity and also some animation cancelling so that each skill isn't 0.02 seconds of a button press followed by 3 seconds of uninterruptible animation watching, then it'll be gucci. It's unlikely to ever reach BDO levels of responsiveness and control, but if it can get to GW2 / ESO combat levels then it will be enough given the other fundamentals of the PvP game. it doesn't need to be the best combat ever, just good enough and lag free.

They have duels, open world pvp flagging, 50v50 territory wars, 20v20 outpost rushes and there's rumours they are working on small scale 5v5 arena instances. Improve the combat and this will keep a lot of players happy for a long time.

Last edited:

NoLogo

Have actually started playing this game really casually again. I always bought the expansions but never really played and am currently playing through all the story content, it's really fun I have to say. Also the world is just amazingly big, it's absurd how many maps there are by now, but it also makes the game really complex for newcomers and people who have been out for a while. Still, really enjoying it so far and looking forward to End of Dragons.

Castia

Bought the game it looks decent. Will start tomorrow after work and play over the weekend.

I do love MMO’s

Grylte

Bought the game it looks decent. Will start tomorrow after work and play over the weekend.

I do love MMO’s
hope the queues are better then, been a shit show the first few days.
Wouldn't be too optimistic about getting in a friday after work.
They have opened more servers and let more people in on each, so there is hope!

Ekeke

773,653 people in game according to steam

Still massively popular after a few days. I'm guessing it also counts the people in queue to get in. Normally MMOs come to Steam after release on other launchers so its harder to know how many are playing across all of them. New World is just on steam right ? So we can see exactly

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
Seems a strange move every mmo i've played its been the norm to leave your character logged in afk.

Should be sorting character migration and server capacity.
They're being cheap pricks. It's fecking Amazon, they off all companies can afford having more servers.