Newcastle United now owned by the PIF | PL receives "legally binding assurances that the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia will not control NUFC" ;)

Chairman Steve

I imagine the hardcore geordies will be over the moon in the short term regardless as they despise Ashley, but I wouldn’t be surprised a few years down the line they become apathetic towards their club.

Every achievement they get from this day forward will be met with basically ‘yeah nice cheat code’ by most people unless they were paid in Saudi oil money to say otherwise, and football itself is already having its soul eroded away over the years by stupid money sloshing around, shady foreign ownership and shady governing bodies running it all.

Fluctuation0161

Alot of bitter people here. Let's be honest of course newcastle fans don't care about the social or political aspects of the Saudi takeover. The same way you don't care that your new iPhone was made in child labour factorities. Trying to act like you have some sort of moral high ground in the western world is a joke to be honest. Just say fair play no one is embarrassing themselves here.
This is a ridiculous stance to take.

If everyone took this stance then progress would have never been made.

mancan92

This is a ridiculous stance to take.

If everyone took this stance then progress would have never been made.
Sure but so is calling Newcastle fans embarrassing as if you don't actually understand why they are happy. No problem with saying the Saudis are dicks but making fun of Newcastle fans for being happy? That's rather hypocritical and ridiculous to me.

Fluctuation0161

Or pointing out pure hypocrisy. A Chelsea fan calling out the moral highground on a takeover from a owner with dodgy and morally poor dealings............
Can you change your username to Mr Whataboutism. Easier to spot.

On a more serious note.
It's not about saying the Newcastle fans are embarrassing. More about the importance of highlighting this as a major problem. Its actually much more of a threat to the game then the ESL was.

Dr. StrangeHate

Its mildly amusing to see the meltdown of some of the folks here over this, when Saudis have been investing in pretty much everything in the world.
But then that discussion has been done to death here.
Football isn't necessary though. It is something we choose to spend our time on and it has a big influence on the younger generation as well.

This argument may seem strange, but getting investment from KSA for chip manufacturers/tech (which is necessary) is different to getting investment for a luxury item or selling them arms (weapons not journalist parts). The first most would accept with mild hesitation, the second is worth protesting/melting down about and third is just down right evil.

mancan92

Can you change your username to Mr Whataboutism. Easier to spot.

On a more serious note.
It's not about saying the Newcastle fans are embarrassing. More about the importance of highlighting this as a major problem. Its actually much more of a threat to the game then the ESL was.
Then focus on that. Focus on the Saudis. What I have a problem with is people saying Newcastle fans are embarrassing themselves. It sounds tone death, bitter and hypocritical.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Or pointing out pure hypocrisy. A Chelsea fan calling out the moral highground on a takeover from a owner with dodgy and morally poor dealings............
I just checked, I have over 30 posts in this thread. Not a single one is offering a judgement on the new Newcastle owners.

Actually, this one was, does that look like I am trying to take the moral high ground?

"That letter from the Newcastle fans is really something. Yuk. At least they could quietly not talk about their shitty owner like I do. "

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
I guess we’ll soon find out if FFP is well and truly dead. Newcastle’s revenue’s can’t be that high so if they start throwing crazy money about they’ll surely be in breach of the rules, although I’m sure they’ll offset all that through dodgy sponsorships as City have done.
Money beats rules every time.
Take it as given that they will spend what they want to spend.

I Aint watchin another PL game after this, this was the last blow tbh, its all plastic These days, even our Own club is owned by persons with no Connection to fotball or UK.

UEFA, FA, FIFA.. all turned rotten to the core in their exploitation & raping of this fine sport.. They all want 2 things only..$$$ & influence..

Shearer cheering… He should be punished by having all his Female relatives sent to saudi for the ”saudi Arabian women experience”..

& so should all the lunatics on here who Wanted those wicked & disgusting owners near our amazing brand of a club. PLASTIC LEAGUE. Plastic silent Crowd…

PL is just like NFL/NBA/NHL Etc with its greedy owners, power hungry organisations & dead Silent stadiums.. But what you’d expect when its only tourists watching, eh?
I am with you - its over for me.

mancan92

I just checked, I have over 30 posts in this thread. Not a single one is offering a judgement on the new Newcastle owners.

Actually, maybe this one was, does that look like I am trying to take the moral high ground?

"That letter from the Newcastle fans is really something. Yuk. At least they could quietly not talk about their shitty owner like I do. "
It does because they have just had their takeover. They are not 10 years down the line.

matt10000

At number 2 absolutely hell no. The atrocities the West has been involved in over the last 500 years is no way better than Saudi. Only difference is the west has become better at hiding what they do under different disguises.

Point 1 you are saying someone is embarrassing for celebrating the fact they will have money to finally spend on their club. As if you don't understand that and saying they are celebrating the bad things the Saudis do. That's ridiculous so I am gonna make a ridiculous point as that's exactly what you guys are doing. You sound ridiculous
hahaha the last 500 years........

duffer

Scout
It does because they have just had their takeover. They are not 10 years down the line.
I can assure you that I was not dancing in the street with a Russian hat on signing "we've got our club back" when Roman took over. I didn't write an open letter licking anyones balls.

I was happy we got rid of one cnut (Ken Bates) and replaced him with a largely unknown figure at the time, absolutely.

It's utterly cringeworthy and I'll laugh at those actions regardless of what some other Chelsea fans do now or did 15 years ago.

mancan92

hahaha the last 500 years........
Yes. Plenty of countries including the 2 I'm from are still reeling from what was done to them by the western world which are some of the worst attrocties in history. The West has not done anything so far to attempt to reconcile for what was done. Only thing that has happened is an attempt to sweep it under the carpet.

mancan92

I can assure you that I was not dancing in the street with a Russian hat on signing "we've got our club back" when Roman took over. I didn't write an open letter licking anyones balls.

I was happy we got rid of one cnut (Ken Bates) and replaced him with a largely unknown figure at the time, absolutely.

It's utterly cringeworthy and I'll laugh at those actions regardless of what some other Chelsea fans do now or did 15 years ago.
OK so you were happy when you were taken over. Just like the Newcastle fans. Cool

People here legitimately saying that they have no respect for Alan shearer for being happy that his club is in a better position that the crap they have had for the last 10 years.

Last edited:

matt10000

Yes. Plenty of countries including the 2 I'm from are still reeling from what was done to them by the western world which are some of the worst attrocties in history. The West has not done anything so far to attempt to reconcile for what was done. Only thing that has happened is an attempt to sweep it under the carpet.
So if your great great great great great great great grandad committed murder you would expect to be accountable and imprisoned for it?

duffer

Scout
OK so you were happy when you were taken over. Just like the Newcastle fans. Cool
We replaced one cnut businessman with an unknown figure. Nobody had a clue who Roman was in 2003 whereas everyone knows who MBS is.

Do you think I should't laugh at the Toon Army's boot licking of the MBS takeover because Chelsea got bought by Roman?

I would laugh at Chelsea fans for writing a similar open letter or singing & dancing the streets and I don't think even the most anti-Chelsea person would say Roman is/was even remotely as bad as MBS.

mancan92

We replaced one cnut businessman with an unknown figure. Nobody had a clue who Roman was in 2003 whereas everyone knows who MBS is.

Do you think I should't laugh at the Toon Army's boot licking of the MBS takeover because Chelsea got bought by Roman?

I would laugh at Chelsea fans for writing a similar open letter or singing & dancing the streets and I don't think even the most anti-Chelsea person would say Roman is/was even remotely as bad as MBS.
People knew about Abromovic there were articles about his dealings. You can laugh at someone's actions. But as I said that's purely from a "ah that's silly" point of view. My problem is with calling Newcastle fans embarrassing or trying to hold moral highground over them. As I said people really are slating Alan Shearer for what? They are just happy to have something to be excited about again.

Man-United

How much will they be able to spend because of FFP? Or they can spend how much they like?

mancan92

Well you quoted 500 years before, make your mind up
I said in the last 500 years because there are soo many messed up things that haven't even been dealt with or reconciled at all. If you are asking should the western world be held up and charged for what they have done to other parts of the world then yes absolutely it should.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
“The West” is more a concept than a place, so you’ll need to be more specific. As an Irishman surely I’m allowed to be as smugly self-righteous as I like without being called out for hypocrisy?

At number 2 absolutely hell no. The atrocities the West has been involved in over the last 500 years is no way better than Saudi. Only difference is the west has become better at hiding what they do under different disguises.

Point 1 you are saying someone is embarrassing for celebrating the fact they will have money to finally spend on their club. As if you don't understand that and saying they are celebrating the bad things the Saudis do. That's ridiculous so I am gonna make a ridiculous point as that's exactly what you guys are doing. You sound ridiculous
:lol: :lol: Are you fecking kidding. You're using what happened 500 years ago as a stick to beat the West with? I'd like to think we've moved on quite a bit you know...

Point 1 - I'm not saying its embarrassing, it's quite disgusting they're happy be used as a tool to gloss over atrocities for their own personal pleasure though. You are saying we don't have any right to complain about what the Saudis do because we are sitting in a chair made by somebody not in the UK earning less than the UK minimum wage.

duffer

Scout
People knew about Abromovic there were articles about his dealings. You can laugh at someone's actions. But as I said that's purely from a "ah that's silly" point of view. My problem is with calling Newcastle fans embarrassing or trying to hold moral highground over them. As I said people really are slating Alan Shearer for what? They are just happy to have something to be excited about again.

If he'd said "I don't give a shit, I just want Newcastle to be good" it would've been at least honest.

"Whataboutism" defences are generally pathetic attempts at deflecting away from having to talk about the issue at hand. That's why people are slating Shearer.

Offsideagain

The Newcastle fans are as happy getting rid of Ashley as we would be if the Glazers did one. They won are about the human rights in Saudi just how will they improve the team. Still think attracting the cream of players to the North East would be a challenge. Halal the lads.

SER19

Its completely understandable that they wanted Ashley out. Pretending it's why they're so gleeful is an absolute lie. Every single idiot bouncing around at their stadium yesterday is celebrating the sale of the soul of their club. The words Newcastle United will never be uttered again without instant connotations of Saudi Arabia and these guys are happy to bend over for a truly monstrous regime of some of the worst people in existence because they'll get some shiny players. Its day one and all over the world people are hearing Newcastle United and thinking of Saudi Arabia. That's who they are already

They're disgusting and if i was jumping up and down celebrating the glazers departure only to be told thar Saudi Arabia was coming instead id sooner see old Trafford burnt to the ground.

matt10000

Its completely understandable that they wanted Ashley out. Pretending it's why they're so gleeful is an absolute lie. Every single idiot bouncing around at their stadium yesterday is celebrating the sale of the soul of their club. The words Newcastle United will never be uttered again without instant connotations of Saudi Arabia and these guys are happy to bend over for a truly monstrous regime of some of the worst people in existence because they'll get some shiny players. Its day one and all over the world people are hearing Newcastle United and thinking of Saudi Arabia. That's who they are already

They're disgusting and if i was jumping up and down celebrating the glazers departure only to be told thar Saudi Arabia was coming instead id sooner see old Trafford burnt to the ground.
Excactly, I keep hearing about how our government does lots of business with them and so why should NUFC be the moral compass etc. but the bottom line is that this is the face of NUFC now. The name Newcastle United is now intrinsically linked to the House of Saud, this is a brand that is being used for sports washing.

RIP NUFC

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
So what will St. James be renamed to? I think that will likely happen before January so the club has access to a massive war chest.

stevoc

Indeed the giddy celebrations have little to do with Ashley leaving. They're embarrassing themselves.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Alot of bitter people here. Let's be honest of course newcastle fans don't care about the social or political aspects of the Saudi takeover. The same way you don't care that your new iPhone was made in child labour factorities. Trying to act like you have some sort of moral high ground in the western world is a joke to be honest. Just say fair play no one is embarrassing themselves here.
Agreed 100%.
I realise that some MUFC fans realise that Newcastle could quite possibly win the league before we do (their owners value winning, over finishing in 4th place), so perhaps that's where the bitterness is coming in.
I welcome the possibility that another EPL club will soon become a footballing powerhouse to challenge for domestic and EU trophies.

mancan92

:lol: :lol: Are you fecking kidding. You're using what happened 500 years ago as a stick to beat the West with? I'd like to think we've moved on quite a bit you know...

Point 1 - I'm not saying its embarrassing, it's quite disgusting they're happy be used as a tool to gloss over atrocities for their own personal pleasure though. You are saying we don't have any right to complain about what the Saudis do because we are sitting in a chair made by somebody not in the UK earning less than the UK minimum wage.
My point is countries are still dealing with what the West has done to them over the last 500 years. There are loads of countries including mine which haven't moved on and can't as they are still having things done to them and there has been no attempt at righting the wrongs that have been done to them previously.

Also your second point is hilarious. I said you can complain at the Saudis all you want. But to call a Newcastle fan embarrassing or using it as a way to hold some sort of moral highground over them is ridiculous.