Newcastle United target Manchester United youngster Tom Cleverley

GIT Z RED

Newcastle United target Manchester United youngster Tom Cleverley - report
gol.com

Newcastle United manager Chris Hughton is set to launch an audacious January bid to bring Manchester United midfielder Tom Cleverley to Tyneside, according to North East newspaper The Sunday Sun.

The Magpies coaching staff have been impressed by Cleverley's form whilst on loan at Watford, and are planning a bid to bring the attack-minded youngster to St James' Park on a permanent deal.

They face a fight to convince both the player and Sir Alex Ferguson that a move to the Toon would be the best move for his career.

Ferguson is believed to think that Cleverley has what it takes to forge a career at Old Trafford.

The youngster is also reportedly happy at Watford, with his loan spell there recently extended until the end of the season.

unitedgogi

Is he that good?

Haven't seen that much of him. Only against Valencia. Looked good then.

Enigma_87

You know who
The last player we loaned to the Barcodes turned out great, like...
So feck off indeed.

x42bn6

Rossi's career has clearly gone downhill after leaving Newcastle United, right?

Simmo is currently on loan with them. He would have had options and Fergie would not have considered a bid from Newcastle if it would hurt his development, despite the fact he likely knows Simmo is leaving on a free at the end of this season.

If we're going to slag off clubs because they give us bad loans, we may as well slag Blackburn (Simpson), QPR (Heaton) and Wolves (Gibson).

For every bad loan, there's plenty more good ones. I see no reason to slag Newcastle simply because Rossi had no fun there - Simpson is having plenty of joy with a club that will likely be in the Premier League next season.

It's all part of the learning curve of youngsters, knuckling down and trying to impress with every single opportunity they get.

Slag off Newcastle for other reasons, like Shearer, their deluded fans, for being general prats in the past and so on - but not because of one bad loan.

Also, Cleverley would be better-off at Newcastle in fact - he's a better winger than all their wing options, and he'd be playing with better players (which is why Newcastle are top of the Championship). There's simply no reason for him to end his Manchester United career chances now because he will likely be given a chance next season after this great loan at Watford, and because there is no need to fix what's not broken (his current loan).

If a team is willing to take one of our players on loan, and Fergie believes they will take care of the player and not leave him rotting on the bench without good reason, and that team is not one of our fiercer rivals, I'd be happy to loan them out there. Fergie saw Simpson being able to fit in well with their lack of defensive options and his attacking style would be useful for a dominant team in the Championship - so that was a good loan.

Collina

Yeah, but the if you read the opening post you can see that it's a permanent deal they want (according to gol.com). Not a loan deal. I'm okay with a loan deal, but not a permanent deal.

He's been very good in Watford, I rate him.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Newcastle of Rossi's time is different from today's Newcastle. They have different managers, different players and different priorities. Stating that, If we had to loan him then I'd rather see him being loaned to an EPL side which GUARANTEE that will play him regularly now. Selling him shouldn't be an option expecially considering that we have yet to find Giggsie's successor.

x42bn6

You've talked like it was about a loan the whole thread, including mentioning the Simpson loan to me when I told them to feck off.
I think I did get carried away there, but I've never understood the animosity of some supporters against loaning players to Newcastle.

If Newcastle United make a solid bid we may consider it, but I'd imagine Cleverley would want at least one shot at making it here before he considers a career elsewhere.

Moriarty

I think I did get carried away there, but I've never understood the animosity of some supporters against loaning players to Newcastle.

If Newcastle United make a solid bid we may consider it, but I'd imagine Cleverley would want at least one shot at making it here before he considers a career elsewhere.
I think Fergie would want him to as well. A chum of mine who watches Watford tells me that Cleverley is a class act and will likely get a chance here. Newcastle is not a good move for a player like that.

x42bn6

I think Fergie would want him to as well. A chum of mine who watches Watford tells me that Cleverley is a class act and will likely get a chance here. Newcastle is not a good move for a player like that.
It's not really a terrible move - will be guaranteed playing time this season (maybe not next season, depending on how much Fat Ashley decides to give Hughton), and will get more playing time with Newcastle than us next season. Newcastle will likely be in the Premier League next season as well. And if all goes wrong there will be no shortage of takers for him the season after next.