Newcastle's goalie situation

Sean_RedDevil

Twitter bot
Newcastle want emergency keeper for Sunderland match

Newcastle United boss Alan Pardew will speak to the Premier League about the possibility of signing a goalkeeper on emergency loan ahead of Sunday's derby against Sunderland.

Third-choice keeper Jak Alnwick, 21, injured his shoulder at Tottenham as Freddie Woodman, 17, sat on the bench.

Regular number one Tim Krul and his deputy Rob Elliot are already injured.

"There is no way that a 17-year-old should be allowed to go in goal at Premier League level," said Pardew.

Newcastle have conceded eight goals in their last two matches afterlosing 4-0 at Spurs in their League Cup quarter-final on Wednesday, and want to sign another keeper despite the transfer window being closed until New Year's Day.

Alnwick, making only his third senior appearance, played the full 90 minutes at White Hart Lane but Pardew fears he could miss Sunderland's visit to St James' Park.

He was culpable for the first Spurs goal, after failing to catch a corner which allowed Nabil Bentaleb to steer in the opener.

"He has an injury to his shoulder so we're going to have to see," added Pardew on his chances of facing Sunderland.

"We will perhaps talk to the Premier League about Jak's situation."

Netherlands goalkeeper Krul, 26, is out with an ankle injury suffered in training at the start of December, while Elliot, 28, tore a thigh muscle during last weekend's 2-1 win against Chelsea.

Newcastle also own Nottingham Forest keeper Karl Darlow, who they signed in the summer before loaning him back to the Championship club for the entire season.

Last week, before Alnwick was injured, a Premier League spokesman was quoted as saying that Newcastle could not sign an emergency keeper because Darlow and Woodman counted as fit players.

"Newcastle United are not eligible to sign a goalkeeper on emergency loan as they have three fit goalkeepers on the books, Jak Alnwick, Freddie Woodman and Karl Darlow," the spokesman told the Hartlepool Mail.

"Only clubs with one fit goalkeeper are eligible."
Will be interesting to see which goalkeeper they can get in the next days

It would be really crazy if a 17-year-old goalkeeper would make his debut in a Tyne-Wear derby
Goalie No.5 Paul Woolston is 16

Last edited:

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
They can have Ben Amos on loan if they agree to sign Anderson in January.

harshad

Play the odds, not the man - Poor man's Harvey
Scout
On a long road that returns to Old Trafford!!!
They can have Ben Amos on loan if they agree to sign Anderson in January.
Shouldn't they be able to sign him now?

As I understand the registration of the player can only happen during the transfer window,

Do the rules prohibit him from training with Newcastle if such a hypothetical deal were to go through?

Last edited:

Mark_GrumpyLion

I have to say I feel for Newcastle, and it's mostly just really bad luck too I think. Krul & Elliot are both out until mid-January I read somewhere, and having a 17 year old in goal seems a bit too much. Do you guys think they will get compensation from the PL? Maybe Lindegaard is up for it, feck knows the bench at OT is perfectly shaped for his behind at this point.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
How do players who are out on loan who they cannot recall count as fit goalkeepers for the team? They cannot use them.

SambaBoy

Victor Valdes should sign a 1 month contract with them. Apparently he's close to being up to speed now and he would get game time with them.

Ainu

I feel they should be allowed to get in an emergency keeper. It's an exceptional situation and very different from outfield positions. With other positions your squad depth should be able to cover it, fielding players out of position if necessary. But teams aren't going to sign an abundance of competent back-up keepers just in case their first 3 get injured at the same time. Would be pretty ridiculous by the FA. Then again, it's the FA.

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
Didn't City have to do this a few years ago?
Yeah, and Newcastle's situation was worse. We still had a professional keeper available (Gunnar Nielsen, although he was like third choice for the Faroe Islands so hardly professional) and we were allowed to bring Fulop in so can't see why Newcastle shouldn't be allowed to do the same.

toonfan

We're not getting an emergency keeper for now, which is a shame as Alnwick is a really poor keeper. I doubt he'll play again at the top level after this and was due to be released at the end of the season. I suppose it is our own fault for not having adequate cover at the club, even 2nd choice Elliott is a League 1 keeper at best. This moment has unfortunately came too early for young Woodman as he is very highly rated and those at the club see him as a potential long-term number 1 if he keeps progressing.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
I hope the kid plays, it'll be a bit of fun. There'd be no real pressure on him, all he can do is make a name for himself.

Globule

signature/tagline creator extraordinaire
I wish clubs weren't allowed to bring in emergency loans in this situation. They should just be made to go through every keeper in their books, until the only one left fit plays for the under 14s.

But, I guess the precedent has been set so they should be given permission on this occasion.

Bwuk

If valdes is fit they should give him a one month contract. It'd put himself back in the window and get first team football.

acnumber9

It was a joke when City did it as they had a third choice keeper. They just didn't want to use him.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Shouldn't they be able to sign him now?

As I understand the registration of the player can only happen during the transfer window,

Do the rules prohibit him from training with Newcastle if such a hypothetical deal were to go through?
Can only sign free agents. Player under contract can't officially join until a transfer window opens.

Hemil

Supports
Chelsea
Can only sign free agents. Player under contract can't officially join until a transfer window opens.
player can definitely join on an emergency loan.

soap

Directionless weirdo who like booze and ganja
Yeah, and Newcastle's situation was worse. We still had a professional keeper available (Gunnar Nielsen, although he was like third choice for the Faroe Islands so hardly professional) and we were allowed to bring Fulop in so can't see why Newcastle shouldn't be allowed to do the same.
Hahahaha what the feck?! Seriously? How on earth was he even your books? It's not even an exaggeration to say I probably know at least a few guys who are good enough to get into Faroe Islands' team

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
Hahahaha what the feck?! Seriously? How on earth was he even your books? It's not even an exaggeration to say I probably know at least a few guys who are good enough to get into Faroe Islands' team
I don't even know. He's at Motherwell now and has become first choice for Faroe Islands, but all I remember was he would always get called up to the Faroe Islands squad but would never make the bench when I checked to see if he was playing. Maybe he just got injured all the time, but I have no idea what he was doing with us.

Snow

Players get signed at 16-17, get a three year contract. In three years a lot can happen in their development. There's a player that played for my 1D Icelandic team who was under contract with Bayern München and trained with the likes of Oliver Kahn. Even has some caps but now he's definitely not top 3 material.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Players get signed at 16-17, get a three year contract. In three years a lot can happen in their development. There's a player that played for my 1D Icelandic team who was under contract with Bayern München and trained with the likes of Oliver Kahn. Even has some caps but now he's definitely not top 3 material.
City bought him at 22 and released him at 26.

khoazany

Woodman is actually a very good prospect, arguably one of the best GK prospects in England.It's not as bad as some think.

ChaddyP

I'm sure there is a free agent goalie they could sign. Arsenal did it a few years back if I recall correctly. Valdes would be better than anyone they have on their books currently, injured or not.

Snow

City bought him at 22 and released him at 26.
That's not the same as what I was saying at all. Transferred from Blackburn as well so there must have been some scouting going on. This guy is a professional footballer, it's been his career. 99 games in total, 1/4 of that are NT games. That's some stat.

Antisocial

Has a Sony home cinema
He's at brighton last I checked.-
I think he left them last season. He played in our legends team against Bayern, and they said he was a free agent. Lets see what Wikipedia says...

Edit: Joined Wolves on a short-term deal in November apparently.

Brophs

The One and Only
The emergency rule is bullshit. The only way it should ever be allowed is where a club literally has no keepers on professional terms.

RyRy11

Chuck the kid in. You never know what can happen, you could find a real gem, especially if hes supposedly a prospect.

Redo91

So Newcastle are playing on Sunday. I'm guessing the kid Woodman will be playing at this stage given how close it is to the game.

soap

Directionless weirdo who like booze and ganja
Chuck the kid in. You never know what can happen, you could find a real gem, especially if hes supposedly a prospect.
Could also totally destroy his confidence if he was a bad game. Not to mention the team losing their derby. Would be cool to see, if it was a dead rubber kinda fixture it'd be way more likely.