Far less insightful than the other Charley
Saturday v Leicester away
Tuesday v Wolves home
Friday 1st Jan v Villa home
5th/6th Jan v City home (LC)
9th Jan v Watford home (FA Cup)

Ole's gonna have to do 9 changes from game to game again to get through that

December_16

If we don’t have major injuries, we should have enough quality in the squad to rotate. Hope Maguire and Bruno will be able to take a game or two off though.

SinNombre

Tuesday v Wolves home

Watford and Wolves will be the games to ring in those 9 changes, need the big guns to start in the remaining games.

atkar83

The depth has improved greatly from last year, but the momentum will be so important. They have to keep stringing wins together to keep up in the league, ties and losses consecutively will have us behind by 10+ by mid January which would be a shame.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
Tuesday v Wolves home

Knowing Ole, he'll probably do a total of 9 changes for all 5 games.

King Eric 7

The side that played today should play Wolves at home. In the mix though is a ban for Cavani and a rest at some point needed for Maguire.

VanGaalEra

Tuesday v Wolves home

9 changes and we were able to put out that side today, amazing.

Gives me hope for the run in and rest of season.

Lynty

9 changes each game? No chance - and certainly not needed.

We can put out strong starting 11s against Leicester, Wolves and Villa with a couple of changes each game and early subs if we get the lead.

City and Watford, significantly weaker lineups.

dwd

Saturday Night Spies
I don't get why they haven't put the League Cup semi-final to like February or March or something if they've delayed the final until April. Makes absolutely no sense.

Hughie77

This is where UTD need to be contesting in all comps, unlike some clubs who dont even try in the domestic cups. Wolves changes , Watford F A cup changes there loads I hope as next up is the side that will definitely not play any first team players , in FA cup.

Hughie77

I don't get why they haven't put the League Cup semi-final to like February or March or something if they've delayed the final until April. Makes absolutely no sense.
Agree thought the same as they've moved final back, would make sense to play in Those months.

Falcow

Why do we keep making these threads?
:lol:

Was thinking the same myself. But since I'm here, 7 points from the next 9 would be a great return as we have already taken 19 from last 21.....so, like it or not, Ole in or Ole out 26 points from 30 is basically league winning form.

RUCK4444

Tuesday v Wolves home

Is your name Charlene or Charley? I often wonder this from time to time, bit random I know.

Dve

Tuesday v Wolves home

We could be talking just 4 games really, for the likes of Maguire, Bissaka, Rashford and Fernandes who IMO, are the indispensables. 4 games, then they can rest against Watford, what would grant them a 11 days break before Liverpool Jan 17. We might survive, but we certainly don´t need any injuries.

TheRedDevil'sAdvocate

De Gea starts in the league, Henderson gets the cup matches.

At the back: Maguire, Lindelof and AWB have shown that they can play back-to-back games. Shaw is injury prone and his fitness levels are questionable and therefore we could see Teles in the starting line-up against AV and Watford (in both games we're expected to dominate possession and, at least AV, focus on their left/our right side to create chances). If we find ourselves in favourable positions in the other fixtures, we can also rest AWB and the CBs for several minutes.

In the midfield: The double-pivot of Fred/McT will probably start against Leicester and Wolves and then get the City game while Matic/Pogba can prove to be more than enough against AV and Watford. Bruno is too important to Solskjaer's tactics to be left out but i'm sure that VdB will get more than enough minutes too, especially if we find ourselves in winning positions with 15-20 minutes remaining.

Up front: Rashford will probably get the same treatment as Bruno since he's very important to the side. Martial and Cavani will probably share the #9 position and on the right we may not possess enough quality but we don't lack them in quantity. Again, judging by what we've seen from Solskjaer, i wouldn't be surprised if Mata starts against AV and Watford or if James starts against City with Greenwood starting 2/3 matches. We can also play Cavani on the right and go full guns blazing with Rash/Tony/Edinson up front.

We can cope as long as Bruno remains fit.

cyberman

City play Chelsea like 2 days before us. The fixture list congestion has been kind to us so fsr

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
I'd guess there is no space with European knockout games, FA Cup matches, international breaks and the games in hand.

There's the 5th/6th Jan, which it is currently, 13th Jan, 30th Feb and not much beyond that, remembering that if we progress into the other competitions, there'll be more league games that would have to be rescheduled.

We currently still have the Burnley away league game without a date. Making it to the quarter finals of the FA Cup would mean Crystal Palace would have to be rescheduled, semi finals would mean the Burnley home game would have to be rescheduled and making it to the final of the League Cup would mean that the away game against Leeds would have to be rescheduled - and that is with an already condensed calendar due to season starting later.

Edit: An article on LancsLive about Burnley rescheduled dates: https://www.lancs.live/sport/football/football-news/burnley-man-utd-fixture-date-19296343

The next option after that could be March 2 which has been earmarked for a Premier League catch up date although should United progress into the final of the Carabao Cup then they would be faced with another top flight fixture to reschedule.

The next catch up date for league games is April 20 but an FA Cup run to the latter stages for either side will again add to the headache.

The reverse fixture between the two sides is slated for April 17 with the season finishing on May 23.
So seems dates in March and April are reserved for possible league catch-ups.

dwd

Saturday Night Spies
I'd guess there is no space with European knockout games, FA Cup matches, international breaks and the games in hand.

There's the 5th/6th Jan, which it is currently, 13th Jan, 30th Feb and not much beyond that, remembering that if we progress into the other competitions, there'll be more league games that would have to be rescheduled.

We currently still have the Burnley away league game without a date. Making it to the quarter finals of the FA Cup would mean Crystal Palace would have to be rescheduled, semi finals would mean the Burnley home game would have to be rescheduled and making it to the final of the League Cup would mean that the away game against Leeds would have to be rescheduled - and that is with an already condensed calendar due to season starting later.

Edit: An article on LancsLive about Burnley rescheduled dates: https://www.lancs.live/sport/football/football-news/burnley-man-utd-fixture-date-19296343

So seems dates in March and April are reserved for possible league catch-ups.
That makes sense. At least we have two home games either side. It will be interesting to see what team Ole puts out for the FA Cup considering the Liverpool game is after.

Gator Nate

Why do we keep making these threads?
Well, you can always start another OleIn/OleOut thread... or maybe an Unpopular Opinion: I'm Everyone's Favorite Poster thread...

These posts are getting tiresome
I love 'em. I've made a few of them. When Ole's won three League titles in a row, and he kicks off the season against a newly-promoted side, I'll probably post one. After all, how do you follow up all that and face a team that no one really knows?

For what it's worth, I think Ole has now established within the squad that everyone is replaceable (except maybe Bruno) and they can all expect to sit at any given time and it's nothing personal (presumably). They have to get through this stretch and they're ready to rotate.

Fully expecting 5 wins in 5 here.

Skåre Willoch

If we get through the next five games, and are within punching distance when facing Liverpool the week after, that would be amazing.
That's the halfway point in the league as well, I think.

Foxbatt

If we beat Leicester then everyone will be wary of us. We need to be on the front foot at the start and really have a go at them. I do not know what if it is first real test or second or third but tomorrow is a test for sure on keeping our good run and momentum.

lysglimt

Scout
The main thing for us is to get past this christmas period without losing distance of Liverpool. If we can get 6 or 7 points - even if we lose at Anfield, we will realistically only be 9-10 points behind Liverpool with a game in hand. And after that game - Liverpool have some really tough games, while ours on paper look quite decent

We have: Fulham(a), Sheffield U(h), Arsenal(a), Everton(h), Southampton(h), WBA(a), Newcastle(h)

Liverpool have: Burnley (h), Spurs (a), West Ham(a), Brighton (h), City (h), Leicester (a), Everton(h)

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
The main thing for us is to get past this christmas period without losing distance of Liverpool. If we can get 6 or 7 points - even if we lose at Anfield, we will realistically only be 9-10 points behind Liverpool with a game in hand. And after that game - Liverpool have some really tough games, while ours on paper look quite decent

We have: Fulham(a), Sheffield U(h), Arsenal(a), Everton(h), Southampton(h), WBA(a), Newcastle(h)

Liverpool have: Burnley (h), Spurs (a), West Ham(a), Brighton (h), City (h), Leicester (a), Everton(h)
I don’t think you will catch this Liverpool team if they get a 9/10 point lead. They are machine like. Personally the only chance we have is if we can beat them at Anfield. Not only would it take away some of their invincibility it would give Utd massive confidence in the second half of the season. I think we are one of the few teams on our day that could do that.

lysglimt

Scout
I don’t think you will catch this Liverpool team if they get a 9/10 point lead. They are machine like. Personally the only chance we have is if we can beat them at Anfield. Not only would it take away some of their invincibility it would give Utd massive confidence in the second half of the season. I think we are one of the few teams on our day that could do that.
if the lead is 7-8 points and we have a game in hand - there is a chance. But agreed, I wouldnt consider us favourites. My point is merely saying if we aren't too far behind after the Liverpool-game, there is a chance to catch a few points in those next 7 matches.

Eric's-collar

Need to win today and keep in touch until Pool match, then it's a must not lose game. IF we can do that then who knows how season will end up, but must keep pressure on Pool, pressure can do funny things