Next Barca Manager discussion

Cloud7

They could use some character. I hear there's a guy in Scotland good at imparting that onto his teams....

Liver_bird

Supports
Liverpool
Dont know why people always opt for the big names when it comes to the Barca job. Conte, Pochetinno very little chance for obvious reasons.

It'll be someone like Sampaoli/Valverde. It wont necessarily have to be a manger whos done impressively in his previous job but more someone who's principles align with the club and the play style.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
Dont know why people always opt for the big names when it comes to the Barca job. Conte, Pochetinno very little chance for obvious reasons.

It'll be someone like Sampaoli/Valverde. It wont necessarily have to be a manger whos done impressively in his previous job but more someone who's principles align with the club and the play style.
Because some people think the same big name managers should play musical chairs with the major clubs in Europe.

Culero

What's the point of hiring someone like Unzue when he is already at the club and is part of managing the midfield and defensive shambles? Unzue really is my last choice. Valverde I wouldn't be upset over, he's a decent manager. Sampaoli was my choice but looks Argentina bound. Sarri would be such a nice idea but the board are a complete clusterfeck when it comes to managing this club they wouldn't even dare do something so inspired.

serghei

Supports
FC Barcelona
Barca needs to go back to playing fluid football in which everybody defends, and everybody attacks. We do not have great defenders, which is why we need to create density and pressure zones in a 50-60m. radius from where the ball is played. The 3-4 players from the other team which aren't posing an immediate danger should NOT be marked, except loosely, by defenders positioned to gain the fastest access to more opponents at once. The extra men resulting from not marking those players can instead press in the areas where the ball is being played.

Basically, a manager who would develop his tactics in relation to the ball, not the other players. The ball can hurt you, the other players will not hurt you if they can't get the ball. Unfortunately, managers like that are hard to find.

17 Van der Gouw

biffa bin
They're waiting for David Moyes to leave Sunderland.

"...the ball is with Iniesta, a delicate chipped pass to Messi just inside the opponents' half, Messi...holds it up, then passes...50 yards back to the goalkeeper. If you're just joining us it's Barca 0-3 Las Palmas with Moyes stating at half time he was delighted to only be two down at the break"

Last edited:

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Lucien Favre would be a good candidate but he has no link to Barcelona.

AgentP

I hope they snatch Pochettino. Might lead to an exodus of Spurs' top players.

TonyMarshall

What has Valverde done to be considered for it?

I haven't payed any attention to his career.

Ridge Racer

Supports
Real Madrid
What has Valverde done to be considered for it?

I haven't payed any attention to his career.
Won 2 leagues with Olimpiakos (not that big of a achievement I know), has been always solid in Spain (except for his Villarreal stint) and took Bilbao back to the CL 2 seasons ago. But I don't get why do they want him given how the complaints with LE has been about the playing style not being Barça enough.

Also it's doubious that they'll go with Unzué, given how the catalan press has been reporting a recent Unzué-Neymar row.

Either way I hope whoever is the coach fails

Eddy_JukeZ

Given how his Napoli team play, Sarri would be the best choice.

But it appears they don't want to appoint someone with no La Liga experience as mentioned.

BennyBlanco

fixated with Shaw's bum
Pochettino would turn them back into a Pep style off the ball intensity machine, if the players accepted his methods he could take that team up a notch and absolutely dominate matches on the ball and off.
They'll give the job to some former Barca guy though.

jderbyshire

Has anybody seen my fleshlight?
Koeman's certainly been putting himself forward.

Dream on lad.

el3mel

Would Pep go back if things didnt work out at City ?
At present time ? Never. He would give himself at least another season with City. He denied returning to Barca a lot this season btw.

But he may return after he finishes his period with City, one or 2 years later.

Currently I think Sampaoli or Spalletti. Blanc is also mentioned but I fined him too classic and ordinary manager to manage Barca.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
While it appear Barca are taking my teams manager. Who will be the next Bilbao manager?
Marcelino is about to sign with Valencia. I´d say that Berizzo can go to Sevilla. Setién might be a good option, or Garitano, Leganés coach.

Theonas

Scout
Sarri looks like the most logical solution in terms of playing philosophy. But as plenty mentioned so far, his lack of connection to the club most likely rules him out.

bonusroller

Another one for Arsene. Think he's had enough of the shite from Arsenal fans and will now show them what he can do with a real bunch of players.

Bojan11

Perhaps Koeman will get it next (assuming next manager does two years), but he was an absolute disaster at Valencia and that may deter the board (and fans) away from him.
To be fair not many managers have been a success at Valencia in the last decade or so. Emery is the only one who comes out with credit and yet the fans wanted him out.

Koeman has certainly improved as a manager during his time in the premier league. He seems to have adapted a more approachable style to his players. I felt earlier on in his career he was going the way of Van Gaal in his style of management. I don't think that style of management can work in club football now.

tomaldinho1

To be fair not many managers have been a success at Valencia in the last decade or so. Emery is the only one who comes out with credit and yet the fans wanted him out.

Koeman has certainly improved as a manager during his time in the premier league. He seems to have adapted a more approachable style to his players. I felt earlier on in his career he was going the way of Van Gaal in his style of management. I don't think that style of management can work in club football now.
I think they must have some doubts about him - he's so openly creaming himself over the Barca job and yet it looks like they have a number of other preferred candidates.

Nick7

Perhaps Koeman will get it next (assuming next manager does two years), but he was an absolute disaster at Valencia and that may deter the board (and fans) away from him.
I may be wrong, but wasn't Koeman pretty bad everywhere he was before Feyenoord? Even there he wasn't pulling up trees.

MJJ

They're just going to find some random Catalan in their coaching system who not even Barca supporters knew existed.
And then FC Barca is going to argue how he was a managerial prodigy from day one who revolutionized the spanish league system.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Berizzo would be my guess
Not sure after his remarks about homosexuals. Bilbao is quite a forward thinking club in that regards.

Remarks on homosexuality[edit]
Shortly after leaving Marseille, Berizzo spoke out against alleged homosexuality in France:

"A bunch of faggots is what you have in French football. There are so many homosexual players there, they always provoke you, they touch your thighs, your bum, to see if you will give some kind of signal. I feel disgusted when a homosexual shares the same shower and stares at one's bum with desire, and even gets emotional when you are naked."

— Berizzo quoted in a Daily Telegraph Article.

Womp

idiot
Not sure after his remarks about homosexuals. Bilbao is quite a forward thinking club in that regards.

Shortly after leaving Marseille, Berizzo spoke out against alleged homosexuality in France:

"A bunch of faggots is what you have in French football. There are so many homosexual players there, they always provoke you, they touch your thighs, your bum, to see if you will give some kind of signal. I feel disgusted when a homosexual shares the same shower and stares at one's bum with desire, and even gets emotional when you are naked."

That's quite a rant tbf.

FCBarca

Mes que un Rag
Supports
Peace

Like Sarri then

Spanish press, including Cadena Ser have been on this Berizzo to Bilbao link for a bit

FCBarca

Mes que un Rag
Supports
Peace
And then FC Barca is going to argue how he was a managerial prodigy from day one who revolutionized the spanish league system.
There has only been one in that regard - and a widely held opinion, try again

Perhaps Xavi in the future but remains to be seen

Not sure if there's anything to it considering how unlikely it is but Catalan Radio linking Tuchel to the job

Last edited:

SfcNervion

Supports
Sevilla FC
Sampaoli will most probably be managing Argentina. He ruined his audition for Barca after the Leicester fiasco and after Sevilla's overall downfall during this spring...

It is between Valverde and Luis Enrique's assistant.