Next Barca Manager discussion

prath92

With Luis Enrique leaving, who is the next best person to manage them and more importantly who is the next person their board will pick?

I have always thought that Messi has an important role in picking their managers (can't think of why they would pick martino)

Latest rumours are Thomas Tuchel, who imo is an underwhelming choice for a big club.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
inb4 'give it to giggseh' edit: @horsechoker that was damn quick

Koeman keeps getting mentioned but I don't think that's the right pick.

NYAS

They're just going to find some random Catalan in their coaching system who not even Barca supporters knew existed.

Enigma_87

You know who
Yeah in fact I hope they do so Spurs can go back to being average
aye if they lose him they are in trouble. I can see Barca pulling him from there as they tend to choose that type of managers and I don't see any other from La Liga that fits the bill. Sampaoli is of course another choice but Pochettino is better at the moment.

Would be good for him at this stage as well to prove himself at a bigger level.

PepG

Supports
Ajax
Juan Carlos Unzue (Luis Enrique's assistant) is the players choice according to the Catalan media.. Valverde is linked with Arsenal too, so if Wenger stays for one more season he might spend the next year without a team like Pep did if he wants to manage in England (as they say).. Sampaoli is heavy linked with the Argentina job, Pochettino will never manage Barca, Eusebio Sakristan ruled himself out. The media speculated with the names of Oscar Garcia, Laurent Blanc, Phillip Cocu, Van Bronckhorst, Leonardo Jardim..even Antonio Conte.. Only the board knows who will be the next coach..

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
It'll be Unzue or Valverde. Sampaoli is taking over Argentina and there's no chance of Pochettino going there (I think only the English media have linked him to the job).

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Didn't Pochettino say he would never manage Barca? Something to do with their rivalry with Espanyol?

FCBarca

Mes que un Rag
Supports
Peace
With Luis Enrique leaving, who is the next best person to manage them and more importantly who is the next person their board will pick?
Two different answers and, regrettably, mutually exclusive with this board - continues to look like either Unzué or Valverde

In the end, it doesn't matter who should coach this team as the board will not make the choice based with sporting reasons in mind otherwise neither Unzué nor Valverde would even be considered. Personally, I liked the idea of Setién or Oscar Garcia but it won't happen

Latest rumours are Thomas Tuchel, who imo is an underwhelming choice for a big club.
Highly improbable that this board will either pick someone without Primera experience or lack of connection to the club

Peanut Butter

It won't be a 'big name' - Barca rarely go for one. It will be someone with links/ties to the club already.

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
Maurizio Sarri would be a dream

But we need to fix our damn squad first, specifically the midfield.

Kostur

海尔的老板
Whoever Messi picks. Read some article about a week ago that Neymar is lobbying for somebody too. Would be funny to see ideas of those two clash.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Aside from the usual suspects, Maurizio Sarri will be a good candidate for the job - puts an emphasis on quick circulation of the ball on-the-ground, grants a lot of freedom to the forwards in particular (Mertens-Insigne-Callejón), heavy collective actions in midfield, building from the defense-up:

And his general principles of play align with Barcelona's traditional approach in and out of possession. Doesn't have a great pedigree in European competitions, but his record in the league (particularly at Napoli) is exemplary - they even lead the Serie A scoring charts this season with 81 goals in 34 games (after losing Higuaín to Juventus, and Milik to knee injury for most of the season), and have played some delightful football over the past couple seasons despite being slightly weaker in terms of personnel quality and financial prowess.

RU Devil

Didn't Pochettino say he would never manage Barca? Something to do with their rivalry with Espanyol?
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/mar/30/mauricio-pochettino-tottenham-barcelona

I think he'd do a great job at Barca, but he sounds rather firm on not managing them. Maybe it's just a bargaining ploy to up the salary (& payoff for Spurs), but it seems he'd rather go to RM or another elite club. He's in a great position at Spurs, TBH, and can write his own ticket if he continues at this pace.

Interesting that Barca doesn't seem to have a new manager yet. Yeah, I get their candidates are involved in the business end of the season, but to not have an outright frontrunner is interesting.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/mar/30/mauricio-pochettino-tottenham-barcelona

I think he'd do a great job at Barca, but he sounds rather firm on not managing them. Maybe it's just a bargaining ploy to up the salary (& payoff for Spurs), but it seems he'd rather go to RM or another elite club. He's in a great position at Spurs, TBH, and can write his own ticket if he continues at this pace.

Interesting that Barca doesn't seem to have a new manager yet. Yeah, I get their candidates are involved in the business end of the season, but to not have an outright frontrunner is interesting.
Yeah, I knew it rang a bell. Cheers.

FCBarca

Mes que un Rag
Supports
Peace
Zero chance of Sarri getting the nod, no Primera experience and no connection to Barcelona - board is pathetic but they've learned since Tata experiment failed miserably

PepG

Supports
Ajax
Pochettino obviously wants to manage some day Real Madrid. Interesting enough Florentino Perez himself said a while ago that Pochettino is a fantastic coach and he will be glad to see him coming to Real but Perez doesn't want to be involved in another transfer saga with the owner of Tottenham after the famous Bale transfer..

Varun

Staff
Juan Carlos Unzue (Luis Enrique's assistant) is the players choice according to the Catalan media.. Valverde is linked with Arsenal too, so if Wenger stays for one more season he might spend the next year without a team like Pep did if he wants to manage in England (as they say).. Sampaoli is heavy linked with the Argentina job, Pochettino will never manage Barca, Eusebio Sakristan ruled himself out. The media speculated with the names of Oscar Garcia, Laurent Blanc, Phillip Cocu, Van Bronckhorst, Leonardo Jardim..even Antonio Conte.. Only the board knows who will be the next coach..
Hasn't he had problems with players? There was a reported bust up with Neymar just last week.