Next captain post-Carrick

Who should be the captain post-Carrick?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Member 5225

Any obvious contenders as to who would / should be our next captain?

Minimalist

Dave, Smalling, Matic, Lukaku.

Pick one. Dave is the stand-out choice.

Not Pogba. Not Valencia either despite his experience.

Member 5225

Smalling surely a joke.

DDG stands out.
Not sure Jose trusts Pogba enough yet.

RedDevil@84

I hope it is not Pogba though. He has more important things to focus upon.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
De Gea or Matic I would guess.

Would say Lukaku but think he's the type who might feel the pressure of it a bit.

Jose will probably give it to whoever the oldest person is.

_John_Doe_

Give De Gea a fat new contract and make him El Capitano to sweeten the deal - he's the only realistic candidate who's guaranteed to start every game.

Green_Red

Usually a vote by the players isnt it. De Gea would be my vote but Im not in the dressing room.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
DDG, Matic, Herrera if Mou decides he's in his future plans.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
I think Matic would be the best option as he can communicate more and is experienced. Captain might not mean that much these days, but I'd like to think they'd do a bit of organising on the pitch.

Hawks2008

Give it to DDG along with a massive new contract. Lord knows he's earned it.

YouOnlyLiveTwice

Between Matic and De Gea for me. De Gea would hopefully add that extra bit of leadership if he got the armband.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
Lukaku. Always plays and shows a lot of desire.

Alternative for me would be Matic or Sanchez, with Herrera/Smalling if they upped their quality to being undroppable or Jones if he suddenly stayed injury-free.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Matic

But somehow I always think a defensive midfielder should be captain for some reason.

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Can't see anyone other than Valencia getting it. DDG would be my choice but it won't happen

Member 5225

Apparently Matic is quite mute during games though.
Plus surely want someone that understands the history, heritage and philosophy of the club (for off-field activities etc).

Jacko21

It'll be Valencia, I would have thought.

But we could be buying a replacement for him in the summer, so VC will be important - should be De Gea.

Member 5225

If Valencia is made captain, ie implied our starting RB next season too, we have other problems to discuss!

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Content with any of De Gea/Chris Smalling. No way should Valencia be captain - he shouldn't even be a starter!

Brightonian

Matic, Herrera, De Gea or Valencia would all be good choices. Valencia is getting unfair criticism on here these days. He's a very good fullback who doesn't attack as much because Jose doesn't encourage his fullbacks to attack much. In his model they're not attackers, they're defenders. Even compared to late-career Fergie you can see that their starting positions are deeper. Valencia doesn't sit up on the wing to receive diagonal balls from the midfielders the way he used to, and that can only be a managerial instruction.

What he is is a very experienced, very disciplined, reliable, intelligent player: exactly what you want in a captain.

el3mel

Valencia isn't a captain material, far from it and he shouldn't even be a starter next season.

CM

Herrera would be my go to but I doubt he figures enough in Mourinho's first-team plans to get it, de Gea would also be a good shout.

I imagine it will end up being a continuation of Valencia (even if we sign a new RB) though, with someone like Matic being de facto captain in his absence.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Matic, Herrera, De Gea or Valencia would all be good choices. Valencia is getting unfair criticism on here these days. He's a very good fullback who doesn't attack as much because Jose doesn't encourage his fullbacks to attack much. In his model they're not attackers, they're defenders. Even compared to late-career Fergie you can see that their starting positions are deeper. Valencia doesn't sit up on the wing to receive diagonal balls from the midfielders the way he used to, and that can only be a managerial instruction.

What he is is a very experienced, very disciplined, reliable, intelligent player: exactly what you want in a captain.
It's when he does attack that's the problem though.

RedDevil@84

Given Valencia's reluctance to speak English, maybe we should just give it to Mike Smaldini who is the 2nd defender to score in 3 consecutive away games for Manchester United.

Canagel

Definitely DDG. He is now a senior player at the club and the clear stand out choice. Guaranteed to play week in week out as well. Valencia shouldn't be even playing for us next season let alone being made captain.
Nobody else stands out so DDG it is. People saying Herrera or Smalling is funny. They should be nowhere near the captaincy.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
Don't really tend to have good luck with captains I feel, since Keane.

Neville was actually Captain after Keane, but giggs always had the armband cus Neville was always injured. Then it was vidic, who I feel was coming to the end of his united career really. Fairly solid but won't be remembered for being a captain. Rooney after that, in what can only be described as a less than satisfactory period where he was in and out the team. And now currently Carrick who's barely played since.

I wouldn't give it to Valencia for this reason alone. Needs to be someone who's going to play, and is a leader.

De Gea or Pogba for me.