Next Draft - Ideas and Discussions

green_smiley

:lol:
Supports
#Justice4Wang!
That could be quite helpful :) especially with the in game injuries.

Do fancy being on the goalkeeping council too? All you need to do is to rank all the keepers picked from 1-16 (assuming no-one picks two keepers) and send them via PM to someone to aggregate the rankongs to produce the keeper list which will determine the result in the event of a draw (If your keeper's ranked higher you win)
Sure

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Regarding the 'playing together at international level', the friendlies/qualifiers games don't matter if my understanding is good.

If player A leaves a club in January and have only played 5 months with player B, so I can't select both players?

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
Regarding the 'playing together at international level', the friendlies/qualifiers games don't matter if my understanding is good.

If player A leaves a club in January and have only played 5 months with player B, so I can't select both players?
Correct and correct.

The rules are there to keep the spirit of the draft but not to make it too hard research wise.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
Thanks for the tag mate. Sounds great, but I don't have the time for drafts at the moment.
:( Would you be happy to be on the goalkeeping council?

All you need to do is to rank all the keepers picked from 1-16 (assuming no-one picks two keepers) and send them via PM to someone to aggregate the rankongs to produce the keeper list which will determine the result in the event of a draw (If your keeper's ranked higher you win)

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
:( Would you be happy to be on the goalkeeping council?

All you need to do is to rank all the keepers picked from 1-16 (assuming no-one picks two keepers) and send them via PM to someone to aggregate the rankongs to produce the keeper list which will determine the result in the event of a draw (If your keeper's ranked higher you win)
Sure. Happy to do that.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
I don't really understand the Keeper ranking. Say match is tied and it boils down to Buffon vs Kahn...there's few differences between Buffon and Kahn and not enough to give either one a clear winning edge. Better way is to let the council rank them in tiers. If the tiers are different then they get the edge. Same tier leads to random toss up by the managers.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Switch me to something else. Just thought about it for 5 minutes and it will require too much research.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
67-87 DRAFT

1. Tuppet
2. Aldo/prath92
3. Downcast
4. Antohan
5. Physio
6. Gio
7. Mazhar/Enigma
8. OneNil
9. Raees/Invictus
10. P-Nut
11. VivaJanuzaj
12. Skizzo
13. DavidG
14. Pat Mustard

AM List: Šjor
Scout List : Joga Bonito
Goalkeeping Council: harms, Antohan

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
I don't really understand the Keeper ranking. Say match is tied and it boils down to Buffon vs Kahn...there's few differences between Buffon and Kahn and not enough to give either one a clear winning edge. Better way is to let the council rank them in tiers. If the tiers are different then they get the edge. Same tier leads to random toss up by the managers.
That was my initial thought but following Anto's suggestion it just seemed cleaner, clearer method than working through a few iterations to decide the winner. I am open to returning to tiers depending on what others think.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
67-87 DRAFT

1. Tuppet
2. Aldo/prath92
3. Downcast
5. Physio
6. Gio
7. Mazhar/Enigma
8. OneNil
9. Raees/Invictus
10. P-Nut
11. VivaJanuzaj
12. Skizzo
13. DavidG
14. Pat Mustard

AM List: Šjor
Scout List : Joga Bonito
Goalkeeping Council: harms, Antohan, Green Smiley, Balu

Enigma_87

You know who
That was my initial thought but following Anto's suggestion it just seemed cleaner, clearer method than working through a few iterations to decide the winner. I am open to returning to tiers depending on what others think.
Personally I think tiers is better. I can't see much difference between say Schmeichel, VdS, Buffon, Kahn and Neuer for example. Yet there will be like 4 places between either of them.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Personally I think tiers is better. I can't see much difference between say Schmeichel, VdS, Buffon, Kahn and Neuer for example. Yet there will be like 4 places between either of them.
There is still a random element after the draw. Penalties give you the best chance of outsmarting the opponent, but they are so boring after the first few
I think that the list shouldn't be published btw, the draft master will announce the winner in each case separately.

How is that worse that the coin toss? And tbf I'd put Schmeichel, Buffon and Kahn in the tier above VDS and Neuer

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Anyone think that the goalkeeping council should decide the rankings before the draft gets underway so that their rankings are unbiased and not linked to the drafter they are playing under. Don't reveal it to the participants though.. but do a 1-25 ranking of top keepers and the 16 that are picked should fall within that pool.

Enigma_87

You know who
There is still a random element after the draw. Penalties give you the best chance of outsmarting the opponent, but they are so boring after the first few
I think that the list shouldn't be published btw, the draft master will announce the winner in each case separately.

How is that worse that the coin toss? And tbf I'd put Schmeichel, Buffon and Kahn in the tier above VDS and Neuer
I agree with penos being really boring so not opposed to a random coin toss to declare the winner. Would be better IMO if the quality of the keeper is not of significant matter.

Personally I'd have Schmeichel and Buffon a little better than Kahn, VDS and Neuer overal, but in the same tier probably since the difference is to me negligible.

Enigma_87

You know who
Anyone think that the goalkeeping council should decide the rankings before the draft gets underway so that their rankings are unbiased and not linked to the drafter they are playing under. Don't reveal it to the participants though.. but do a 1-25 ranking of top keepers and the 16 that are picked should fall within that pool.
yeah that's probably the best suggestion. 25 keepers should be enough in a snake draft it would be surprise if other than the top 25 would be picked and either way they will be in the lowest tier(lowest places)

VivaJanuzaj

How about having a ranking of the top 16 keepers in the draft, than we have penalties in which the first kicker for the better keeper scores and for the worst keeper misses, than we still have the randomisation of penalties but the player with the better keeper clearly gets an advantage for it. We can even do it that if there's more than 8 keepers gap between the two keepers in ranking the better keeper gets two extra kicks.

harms

Staff
Don't think that there is really any bias towards the competing managers but we definitely can rate them beforehand (someone just need to compile the list of available ones)

Placing them in tiers doesn't make it more fair (it's still a coin toss) and publishing the list of the tiers beforehand makes it, quite simply, boring as hell

@VivaJanuzaj so much for the simplification, I felt asleep reading this

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Very unlikely given the no mates format, most keepers will be Brad Friedel types.

feck tiers.

Enigma_87

You know who
Actually @antohan is right, haven't really put some thought in it (or done a research for that matter) but considering how many clubs changed those keepers(or the length of their careers) it would be a hard fit for either of them.

Probably in this case the ranking would be the best way to decide and it will be futile to rank keepers beforehand since some of the top dogs might not be picked at all.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
IMO, it's useless to spend time on the ranking of the 16 GKs.

In the event of a draw, the committee will compare 2 GKs and make the right decision.

At worst, we could have 2 draws in the 1st round.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
IMO, it's useless to spend time on the ranking of the 16 GKs.

In the event of a draw, the committee will compare 2 GKs and make the right decision.

At worst, we could have 2 draws in the 1st round.
I can see that although a pre-ranking of keepers would avoid any subconscious bias based on the match thread. But ranking 16 reasonably obscure keepers could well take the goalkeeping council more time than it would with top-notch keepers.

harms

Staff
It would be what, a couple of hours while we create the list after the drafting? The games are usually spread over the week. Can't see how these hours are going to stall anything, considering that the vote doesn't require a stop in the usual drafting routine

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Switch me to something else. Just thought about it for 5 minutes and it will require too much research.
I don't think you need too much research given your football knowledge.

Just make a preliminary list of the key players you absolutely want.

The constraints will make the last choices pretty easy.