next labour leader

bishblaize

sadly I think it will be the other way round with most party members pushing for a centre left leader, the affiliated membership pushing for a much more left leaning option and the MP's trying to align themselves with whoever they think can actually win. - big old bunfight probably dividing the party more than unifying it
Again

soap

Directionless weirdo who like booze and ganja
:lol: That idiot Tristan Hunt is a front runner!

*inappropriate insult removed by moderator*

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
He will need to cut down the smarm a bit
He's got the potential to be a media darling, which is what they need. As well as he seemed to do in the run up, and as nice as he is, Ed never managed to shake the perception of an overpromoted spoddy plasticine gimp.

Sad state of affairs, but that's modern politics. He's possibly too right leaning for the party membership, but the party membership are aware they got it wrong last time.

Last edited:

justboy68

I think Chuka but I wouldn't actually rule out the possibility of them going down the Jarvis route and playing on the soldier/patriotism angle. It would be a radical move but a radical move might be exactly what they go for if they believe it could win back the centre.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Strong endorsement for Harmann from Miliband here.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
Genuinely don't know, not inspired by anyone. But then David Miliband was seen as the shoo-in last time round so maybe a more open field will be beneficial. Then again, maybe they're all just shit.

Ubik

Harman will be caretaker whilst the campaign takes place I imagine, no chance of taking over full time.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Genuinely don't know, not inspired by anyone. But then David Miliband was seen as the shoo-in last time round so maybe a more open field will be beneficial. Then again, maybe they're all just shit.
Of course we will never know if David milliband would have produced a different result to his brother... Hard to imagine he could have done much worse though

MikeUpNorth

Wobbles like a massive pair of tits
I would encourage anyone who identifies as a Labour voter and cares who the next leader is to join the party and vote in the upcoming leadership contest.

Ubik

I would encourage anyone who identifies as a Labour voter and cares who the next leader is to join the party and vote in the upcoming leadership contest.
Will be doing this.

Don't Kill Bill

I get a vote through the union but I will need a while to think about who to vote for because I don't really know that much about any of them.

RedChip

Chuka would probably double UKIP votes overnight as "people" try and prevent the Islamisation of Great Britain..
Yes with him being a Christian born in the UK that seems a valid argument - although perhaps UKIP will just be honest and say vote for us if your racist and think Chuka is too dark...
Despite UKIP, I tend to think the general UK population is very accepting of racial differences, certainly more so than the US and they have Obama.

I think Chuka has a bit of charisma about him and I think the party will need that after Ed.

ThierryHenry

wishes he could watch Arsenal games with KM
Examples of this charisma? Maybe I've just not seen him at his best, but I've always been underwhelmed when I've heard him speak publically/ on Question Time/ attacking from opposition. Not impressed by his stance on plenty of issues either.

Mciahel Goodman

Worst Werewolf Player of All Times
Staff
The question that needs asking is, what the hell are the Labour party? I hate the Conservatives but I'm glad the SNP were voted in (with the exception of that 20 year old), an actual opposition voice in parliament.

Ubik

Despite UKIP, I tend to think the general UK population is very accepting of racial differences, certainly more so than the US and they have Obama.

I think Chuka has a bit of charisma about him and I think the party will need that after Ed.
Obama would absolutely trounce everyone if he was english, whichever party he stood for.

Have to say I'm not convinced on Umunna, someone said smarmy sounding last night and I think that may be about right, he's got that kind of Mandelson tone to him. But I'll wait and see how they perform and what they say during the campaign, I'm not convinced or tempted by anyone at this stage.

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
Chuka Umunna.
Serious question, but what has he done? He seems like a young nobody whose risen up the ranks but hasn't done anything of note other than be on question time a few episodes and walked out of an interview.

Kaos

Think he's overrated.
Not so sure. For whatever reason he's reverred in London which means he'll probably swing a few London seats his way which will be crucial to the election. His village idiot facade will probably endear the centrists and swing voters who won't see through his farcical 'nice eccentric guy' act.

If its Burnham or Yvette feckin Cooper vs Boris, then it'll be another 5 years of the Tories to follow on from the 5 we're about to enjoy now.

Ubik

Dan Jarvis being mentioned more, citing his non-career politician background. Given he's got almost no public profile to speak of it would seem a stretch to say he'll be a challenger, but one to keep an eye on perhaps.

MikeUpNorth

Wobbles like a massive pair of tits
We should probably be thinking in terms of a leader/ shadow chancellor double-act which has proved successful with Blair-Brown and Cameron-Osbourne.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
Yeah I probably will be doing this. I like to keep my options open when I vote in the GE but reality is whoever is the Labour Party leader is probably going to be my realistic choice for PM given how twatish the Tories generally are.

Ubik

We should probably be thinking in terms of a leader/ shadow chancellor double-act which has proved successful with Blair-Brown and Cameron-Osbourne.
Rachael Reeves may be a likely candidate for chancellor, believe I read last night (was early hours though and I'd been up for around 24 hours) that there were rumours of her being aligned with Umunna.

Slightly off topic but also related, what do people think happens to Ed now? Stands down or just fades into the backbenches?

bishblaize

Rachael Reeves may be a likely candidate for chancellor, believe I read last night (was early hours though and I'd been up for around 24 hours) that there were rumours of her being aligned with Umunna.

Slightly off topic but also related, what do people think happens to Ed now? Stands down or just fades into the backbenches?
Can't really stand down the day after you win back your seat. Probably he'll stick on the back benches quietly for two years and then head off to the chiltern hundreds.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
It's inevitable that ed has to go... But who will replace him
Andy burnham 5/2
Yvette Cooper 4/1
Chukka ummuna 4/1
Dan jarvis 7/1
Tristam hunt 16/1
Liz kendal 18/1
David milliband 20/1
Rachel Reeves 25/1

My initial thoughts are not Mrs ed balls mainly due to her husband and his public image.
Tristam sounds as Un labour as you can get
Milliband Snr won't try again after last time

Andy Burnham is early favourite is not bad on TV and relatively young... Seems a sound bet but Chukka has been widely tipped before.

I think Ed will step down very soon and it is clear labour needs to do something to re-engage with the electorate
Andy Burnham 7/4
Chuka Umunna 9/4
Yvette Cooper 4/1
Dan Jarvis 11/2
Liz Kendall 16/1
Tristram Hunt 16/1

Looks like the money's been flying on to Chuka- odds have narrowed considerably on PaddyPower.

Nick 0208 Ldn

News 24
Jarvis or Kendall as leader, Chukka as shadow-chancellor.

Burnham and Cooper suffer from New Labouritis; Hunt and Reeves a touch too smug for their own good; and would Miliband really wish to succeed his own brother (not directly).

Last edited: