next labour leader

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
Jarvis or Kendall as leader, Chukka as shadow-chancellor.

Burnham, Cooper and suffer from New Labouritis; Hunt and Reeves a touch too smug for their own good; and i just can't see that Miliabnd would wish to succeed hsi brother (not directly).
Would surely be embarrassing for Labour too. They might as well hire a plane to fly a 'the right one' banner over their next party conference.

Last edited:

Ducklegs

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
They need to realise its little jimmy Krankie they need to beat, not Cameron.

If they cant claw that Scottish support back, they wont be getting back into government again in the foreseeable future.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
How many Milibrands there are in politics? They seem like Lord Frey's family

Oo0AahCantona

i dont think it matters really, conservatives will likely be in power for the next 10 years as they ride the wave of tame but steady economic recovery that they have had feckall to do with. Labour need to think longterm. #tank4wiggins

Nick 0208 Ldn

News 24
Would surely be embarrassing for Labour too. They might as hire a plane to fly a 'the right one' banner over their next party conference.
I can see the 2020 campaign ad now, loads of Miliband heads popping up out of the the ground like gophers. Or maybe groundhogs would be more apposite.

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic
i dont think it matters really, conservatives will likely be in power for the next 10 years as they ride the wave of tame but steady economic recovery that they have had feckall to do with. Labour need to think longterm. #tank4wiggins
Genuinely burst out laughing there. Brilliant :lol:

Dion

If I had to pick someone to run the country it would be Andy Burnham. If I had to pick someone who I thought would destroy the Tories at the next election I'd pick Chuka Umunna.

It had to be Umunna really, he's vaguely Barack Obama enough to dazzle all the working class idiots who voted UKIP and let in the Tories.

Chukka just doesn't strike me as intelligent enough.
I'd suggest that's more a reflection on you than him in that case. I have plenty of criticisms of Umunna, his intelligence isn't one of them.

RedChip

Obama would absolutely trounce everyone if he was english, whichever party he stood for.

Have to say I'm not convinced on Umunna, someone said smarmy sounding last night and I think that may be about right, he's got that kind of Mandelson tone to him. But I'll wait and see how they perform and what they say during the campaign, I'm not convinced or tempted by anyone at this stage.
Perhaps, but surely no more than Cameroon?

Drifter

American
Politics needs a Prescott. At least Chukka is not a bullington boy.

Acole9

Outstanding
Apart from David Miliband a rather underwhelming list.

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
This deluded Chuka?!

Chuka Umunna's 'British Obama' Wikipedia entry came from his former office
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/chuka-umunnas-british-obama-wikipedia-entry-came-from-his-former-office-8569083.html
It was claimed this week that Mr Umunna may have created his own lengthy profile on Wikipedia in 2007 under a pseudonym, “Socialdemocrat”. Mr Umunna said he had no recollection of this log-in.

Previously it emerged that the former club DJ had used an alias on an exclusive social networking site to ask for advice on how to avoid “trash” on nights out.

Mr Umunna admitted he was a member of ASmallWorld, which is known as “MySpace for Millionaires”, under a pseudonym, but has now left it.

:lol:

ThierryHenry

wishes he could watch Arsenal games with KM
I'd suggest that's more a reflection on you than him in that case. I have plenty of criticisms of Umunna, his intelligence isn't one of them.
Harsh. I'd be delighted if he was the person being described in this thread, but like I said, I haven't seen much of him, and haven't been particularly impressed by what I have. What is it that makes people think he's particularly charismatic, smart and strong leadership material?

Just watched a few videos. He's handsome and can almost talk like a normal human being, but I see nothing outstanding there, and again, he doesn't come across as being especially smart, persuasive or articulate. Is there something I'm missing? Then there's his deals with PWC, saying he'd happily send his children to private school, the impression he'd be in the pocket of business...

MikeUpNorth

Wobbles like a massive pair of tits
I don't trust Chuka. Doesn't necessarily mean he isn't the right choice to front the party though.

Steven Seagull

Yes with him being a Christian born in the UK that seems a valid argument - although perhaps UKIP will just be honest and say vote for us if your racist and think Chuka is too dark...
Despite UKIP, I tend to think the general UK population is very accepting of racial differences, certainly more so than the US and they have Obama.

I think Chuka has a bit of charisma about him and I think the party will need that after Ed.
Maybe when he gets more time in the public eye, yes. A hell of a lot of people would look at him first glance now and think otherwise.

steve zizou

It's bigger than that, honest!
Andy Burnham 7/4
Chuka Umunna 9/4
Yvette Cooper 4/1
Dan Jarvis 11/2
Liz Kendall 16/1
Tristram Hunt 16/1

Looks like the money's been flying on to Chuka- odds have narrowed considerably on PaddyPower.
Finally!

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
I want to hear more from Dan Jarvis, partly because in my new found paranoia I'm now picking over what the right wing press can use to attack the next leader. Chukka - "self proclaimed New Obama". Yvette - "Mrs Ed Balls". Burnham - "Mid Staffs". Jarvis being an ex-soldier is harder for them to get at, though I'm sure they'd do their best as Republicans did with Kerry.

RedChip

Would surely be embarrassing for Labour too. They might as well hire a plane to fly a 'the right one' banner over their next party conference.
But David is not an mp. Can't be leader of parliamentary party, can he?

SonnyTheHaloPro

"Van Gaal is David Moyes +£150million"
Labour need a strong person who can talk and engage in the economic side of the party and those policies if they want to win 2020.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
But David is not an mp. Can't be leader of parliamentary party, can he?
No, would have to be parachuted in through an early safe-seat by-election. And given that they apparently want the leader elected by the conference this year, he's not going to be a candidate. I'm half expecting him to return during the parliament though.

Also important to note that one of Miliband's achievements as leader was reforming the leadership elections to essentially ensure that no-one would be elected in the manner he was ever again :lol: It's now one member, one vote.

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
He is really young and not white. Seems a big risk in the current climate whilst labour are on their arse.
I don't see how is colour would be an issue, this is the UK we generally don't really care about that or religion when it comes to our politicians. At least not in this day and age, that said I would have thought our first ethnic minority prime minister would be an asian person or mixed like Obama.

Dion

Why don't you trust him?
He's pretty right of center for a Labour leader, even by Blair standards.

The issue is Labour are never going to get into government with a left of center leader because they lack economic credibility, Umunna would be a lot more appealing to middle-England.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
I don't see how is colour would be an issue, this is the UK we generally don't really care about that or religion when it comes to our politicians. At least not in this day and age, that said I would have thought our first ethnic minority prime minister would be an asian person or mixed like Obama.
Are you sure about that? UKIP is now the UK third party. Oh and yeah I know that Farage is not 'racist'. He's just one adorable person who tend to hate anyone whose not 'British' enough (unless they have German origins....)

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
Are you sure about that? UKIP is now the UK third party. Oh and yeah I know that Farage is not 'racist'.
As an ethnic minority myself, yeah, besides as much as UKIP are racist its a protest vote party that's all they are. They only got one seat and lost the big election they wanted. Those UKIP voters are mostly former tories or from the Labour and Lib Dem right, if the person in question was a conservative they probably won't care because he or she is "their black/asian MP". Like Ted Cruz is the Republican's Latino despite the clear racist element within the party and demographics.

EDIT: Also the SNP are the third party now, not UKIP.

Blue always red

Chuka is one suave fellow and from what I've seen of him he posses that likeable characteristic that Miliband never had, in my eyes. As others have said though, I'd be surprised if people didn't vote for him simply because of the colour of his skin.

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
I think Chukka is mixed, has a white mum like obama

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Sadly, you are giving the electorate far too much credit. A black muslim dude would have no chance of becoming prime minister at the moment, regardless of his ideas or character.

bishblaize

Mr Umunna admitted he was a member of ASmallWorld, which is known as “MySpace for Millionaires”, under a pseudonym, but has now left it.

:lol:
In ten years time when I'm running for leader I'll be denying any knowledge of you plebs.

RedChip

As an ethnic minority myself, yeah, besides as much as UKIP are racist its a protest vote party that's all they are. They only got one seat and lost the big election they wanted. Those UKIP voters are mostly former tories or from the L

I don't see how is colour would be an issue, this is the UK we generally don't really care about that or religion when it comes to our politicians. At least not in this day and age, that said I would have thought our first ethnic minority prime ministerror would be an asian person or mixed like Obama.
Chuka is mixed, just like Obama: Black Nigerian father, White British mother.

Classical Mechanic

I said his age and the fact that he is not white make it unlikely. He is 36, that would make him two years younger than Blair in 97 at his first chance to be Prime Minister. Blair was the youngest since 1812! UKIP were third in terms of the popular vote too. I think 10% of the electorate? He is Christian anyway but I think religion would be a problem if he was a Muslim.

Chuka is one suave fellow and from what I've seen of him he posses that likeable characteristic that Miliband never had, in my eyes. As others have said though, I'd be surprised if people didn't vote for him simply because of the colour of his skin.
He is suave alright and I like him but I think at this point he would be a very bold appointment. Maybe Labour need that but I question if they have the balls or even the foresight in the first place.