g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

next labour leader

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
If I were Chuka, I think I'd take a run at being the new Mayor of London next year. He's much more likely to win and the Labour leadership is probably a hiding to nothing right now.
He seems to have the full backing of the Blairite establishment for what that's worth, though I remain unconvinced as yet.

Sweet Square

Yeah, he has three young kids after his wife died of cancer. I know he has since remarried, but still a lot to juggle.
Yep. Also I think the now rebuilding of the Labour Party(Hopefully they carry on sticking to the left)will take a good couple of years and most likely beyond the next election as well.

Ubik

Political editor of the Sun is fairly happy he's not running.

Last edited:

Classical Mechanic

It has to be Burnham for me. One of the many things about Ed that went against him in this election was his privileged background. Boris was trashing him on Andrew Marr because they went to the same primary school. Burnham came from a working class background and went to Oxford. He is totally authentic and a symbol of aspiration.

Ubik

Looks like Chris Leslie to be chancellor and Pat McFadden to be foreign secretary in the short term shadow cabinet, stepping up from chief secretary to the Treasury and minister for Europe respectively.

Nick 0208 Ldn

News 24
I am surprised at how popular Burnham is is in here, he's the sort of character who Labour would do well to keep away from IMO (ties to past regimes and rather dislikeable following the Mid-Staffs scandal). I don't think the Tories would be too displeased were he to win the leadership, if that is any guide.

surf

It has to be Burnham for me. One of the many things about Ed that went against him in this election was his privileged background. Boris was trashing him on Andrew Marr because they went to the same primary school. Burnham came from a working class background and went to Oxford. He is totally authentic and a symbol of aspiration.
He's no Harold Wilson though and would be another placeholder until they can find a proper heavyweight leader.

Kag

I am surprised at how popular Burnham is is in here, he's the sort of character who Labour would do well to keep away from IMO (ties to past regimes and rather dislikeable following the Mid-Staffs scandal). I don't think the Tories would be too displeased were he to win the leadership, if that is any guide.
Indeed. He's a Gordon Brown stooge from an era that won't be remembered very fondly. Nice guy, but he won't take away votes from the Conservatives.

A clean break and an ideological move towards the centre is needed and the likes of Cooper and Burnham should realise that.

Last edited:

evra

Bitten by an adder as a baby, the adder died.
I think the NHS is the only area where they have a distinct advantage over the Tories, is there a dashing ex doctor amongst the Labour MP's? God knows the British people worship doctors, it would play well in middle England as well.

Nick 0208 Ldn

News 24
Keeping the seat warm for Jarvis.

@Nick 0208 Ldn

Who would the Tories least like to see in?
I don't work at Tory HQ you understand, but i imagine that they'd much rather face someone with baggage than not. Selecting a relative unknown is not without its risks either of course (the party could end up with an IDS type scenario), however the potential rewards are greater. If Jarvis has indeed ruled himself out, then one of Kendall or Chukka i suppose.

EU Ref, EVEL, the possibility of a second Scottish referendum, the years ahead will be challenging ones whosoever they choose.

Ubik

One person I'm completely sure I don't want to get it is Hunt, and I'm not sure he'll get the required support from MPs either.

Ubik

Tristram. You have to go for him. He'll grab you Tory votes back.
:lol: Think Boris would annihilate him in the posh stakes.

Article from Dan Jarvis detailing his decision - http://labourlist.org/2015/05/im-ready-to-serve-in-labours-renewal-but-not-as-leader/

This part is of note, as it's essentially saying the same as Umunna this morning and may turn out to be the new party line:

Second, all our promises of change at this election were undermined by doubts about our economic competence.

Was the last Labour Government’s investment in schools and hospitals responsible for the global financial crisis? No. And we should have been stronger in rebutting that false charge when it was first made. Our failure to do so left us hamstrung – even when the Tories abandoned fiscal responsibility in favour of unfunded and unbelievable promises.

Labour fought this election with a manifesto costed down to the last penny. We carried out our own zero-based reviews, scrutinising every line of government spending.

Were we this focused on looking after every pound before 2007? Clearly not. Would the last government have been in a stronger position to respond to the financial crisis if we had been? Of course. And we should say so. Only then will we be able to regain trust as safe custodians of taxpayers’ money.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
Wise words after the event. Can't remember if I read it here but think it was on the bbc website earlier. Miliband went to the same primary school as Boris?!

bishblaize

:lol: Think Boris would annihilate him in the posh stakes.

Article from Dan Jarvis detailing his decision - http://labourlist.org/2015/05/im-ready-to-serve-in-labours-renewal-but-not-as-leader/

This part is of note, as it's essentially saying the same as Umunna this morning and may turn out to be the new party line:
Probably will be. They're (way) past the point of no return on changing the popular narrative about what happened under Labour finances-wise. The best they can do is go half and half - accept partial responsibility while trying to point out it wasn't primarily their fault. Much easier to do, of course, if you break ties with the past (ie Ed and Ed).

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic
Call me cynical but I can't see him winning over UKIP voters which might be the difference between winning and losing the next election.

ThierryHenry

wishes he could watch Arsenal games with KM
Call me cynical but I can't see him winning over UKIP voters which might be the difference between winning and losing the next election.
Maybe I'm too London to notice, but I can't see it having much of an impact. Surely the vast vast majority won't care?

Helps that he'd be the most attractive leader by a distance too.

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic
Maybe I'm too London to notice, but I can't see it having much of an impact. Surely the vast vast majority won't care?

Helps that he'd be the most attractive leader by a distance too.
The vast majority of the country won't care but when you look at how many votes UKIP got it's got to be an area for Labour to target and I fear a lot of them are morons who'll take a look at him and his name and think to themselves 'right, Boris it is'.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
The vast majority of the country won't care but when you look at how many votes UKIP got it's got to be an area for Labour to target and I fear a lot of them are morons who'll take a look at him and his name and think to themselves 'right, Boris it is'.
They wouldn't. I also refuse to believe the Tories would be stupid enough to pick Boris. It's one of those ideas that seems lovely to the party faithful but when it came to actually doing it any vaguely sensible person would come to their senses and accept it's insane.

DOTA

I'd go for Cooper. I think whoever is picked is losing and I think she'd make a decent leader of the opposition for the time being.

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic
They wouldn't. I also refuse to believe the Tories would be stupid enough to pick Boris. It's one of those ideas that seems lovely to the party faithful but when it came to actually doing it any vaguely sensible person would come to their senses and accept it's insane.
Yes. That's why we must pray they pick him.

DOTA

So Chuka has distanced himself from the unions, isn't that basically what stopped David Miliband getting the leadership gig last time?
Possibly. They've changed the rules since though.

Ubik

From last year (general public rather than just Labour voters):