next labour leader

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Chukka Umunna, the Blairite champion, being labelled as most trustworthy has to be some kind of joke.
Suppose it's all about illusion though. Politicians aren't often judged on the traits they have, but instead on the traits they can convince others that they have. Chuka seems like the sort of guy who is presentable and could be quite popular, even if he's in the Blairite mould.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
That poll is for The Mail on Sunday, tbf. But this is the million dollar question. Do you champion someone you don't entirely agree with but who's likely to get elected, or stick steadfast to your principles like pete and win the Arsenal moral cup every year?

I'd still rather Blair than Cameron. The war gutted his legacy, but he pushed through some decent social reforms.

Last edited:

Classical Mechanic

That poll is for The Mail on Sunday, tbf. But this is the million dollar question. Do you champion someone you don't entirely agree with but who's likely to get elected, or stick steadfast to your principles like pete and win the Arsenal moral cup every year?

I'd still rather Blair than Cameron. The war gutted his legacy, but he still pushed through some decent social reforms.
Exactly!

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
Chukka Umunna, the Blairite champion, being labelled as most trustworthy has to be some kind of joke.
Still only 40% so not exactly a ringing endorsement.

I still can't imagine Umunna making a big speech though. He needs to take up preaching in an evangelical church for a while, preferably in Atlanta, then return.

Classical Mechanic

Still only 40% so not exactly a ringing endorsement.

I still can't imagine Umunna making a big speech though. He needs to take up preaching in an evangelical church for a while, preferably in Atlanta, then return.
I know what you mean, he is a bit tepid as an orator. 40% is probably at the high end of the scale for trusting politicians though.

MikeUpNorth

Wobbles like a massive pair of tits
I don't trust Chuka for a second. But then he might still be the best of the candidates. Not sure who I'm gonna vote for.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Among them are renationalisation of the railways, pay increases for all public sector workers and legislation to force businesses to pay the living wage.
These policies wouldn't be disastrous at all...

Classical Mechanic

I don't trust Chuka for a second. But then he might still be the best of the candidates. Not sure who I'm gonna vote for.
I feel the same, not too hot on the personality but I think his politics are the right if there is to be a realistic chance of Labour get elected in the next election, which I feel is more important than ideology at this point in time.

evra

Bitten by an adder as a baby, the adder died.
Disagree with all apart from the renationalising of the railways, I just don't think that it can ever be a properly competitive (and therefore efficient) market. As nice as it sounds, I think forcing the "living wage" on employers will lead to more unemployment and less foreign companies setting up here. The public sector is bloated and expensive enough without more pay increases. Better to give tax cuts to all working people by increasing the income tax threshold.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Disagree with all apart from the renationalising of the railways, I just don't think that it can ever be a properly competitive (and therefore efficient) market. As nice as it sounds, I think forcing the "living wage" on employers will lead to more unemployment and less foreign companies setting up here. The public sector is bloated and expensive enough without more pay increases. Better to give tax cuts to all working people by increasing the income tax threshold.
Exactly.

bishblaize

One issue here is how the public sector compares with the private sector in terms of salaries. If the private sector continually pays better salaries for similar level roles you face a talent drain away from the public sector, which has all sorts of knock on effects. Tax cuts dont address this issue.

evra

Bitten by an adder as a baby, the adder died.
One issue here is how the public sector compares with the private sector in terms of salaries. If the private sector continually pays better salaries for similar level roles you face a talent drain away from the public sector, which has all sorts of knock on effects. Tax cuts dont address this issue.
There are other reasons for working in the public sector though; a sense of public service, increased job security and typically a more generous pension.

Flying_Heckfish

Renationalising the raliways is sensible at this point. The experiment hasn't worked in the public's favour.

Blanket payrises are never a good idea though - and as for 'enforcing' the living wage, I'm not sure I follow. Surely just re-evaluation of the minimum wage is all that is needed.

Don't Kill Bill

There are other reasons for working in the public sector though; a sense of public service, increased job security and typically a more generous pension.
Let no good deed go unpunished. If they want to serve the public then we must be able to use that to force down their wages. Its only right.

MikeUpNorth

Wobbles like a massive pair of tits
Andy Burnham has sad eyes. People won't vote for that.

Ubik

Andy Burnham has sad eyes. People won't vote for that.
Deeply sad, and disappointed. I also have absolutely no recollection of his 2010 campaign, but I'm not sure whether that's a good or bad thing. I liked the emphasis on the whole country after the others so far have basically just talked about the south, sort of going back to the whole "One Nation" thing Labour dropped a couple of years back. Bloody difficult to create a convincing message for it though.

RedChip

I work in the public sector and I think you can extend this even further: having started from a lowish Base and because of very low or no pay increases over the last five years, UK public sector workers are now among the least paid in the OECD. This is problem in areas such as health and higher education where employers have to compete globally for the best talent.

bishblaize

Deeply sad, and disappointed. I also have absolutely no recollection of his 2010 campaign, but I'm not sure whether that's a good or bad thing. I liked the emphasis on the whole country after the others so far have basically just talked about the south, sort of going back to the whole "One Nation" thing Labour dropped a couple of years back. Bloody difficult to create a convincing message for it though.
He came across as nice but flimsy in the last campaign, albeit he was against some big hitters that time round.

Ubik

He came across as nice but flimsy in the last campaign, albeit he was against some big hitters that time round.
Yeah, only finishing (1%) ahead of Diane Abbott isn't something to shout about either. Still, I'm giving everyone a fair shot at this, even if Tristram joins in.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
Yeah, only finishing (1%) ahead of Diane Abbott isn't something to shout about either. Still, I'm giving everyone a fair shot at this, even if Tristram joins in.
I've confused him with Zak Goldsmith on more than one occasion. No one who can be confused with Zak Goldsmith, even by an idiot, can lead the Labour Party.

Oo0AahCantona

A mate of mine told me chuka umunna was a garage DJ, i for one am willing to get onboard with that. a PM with some street cred.