next labour leader

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
Andy Burnham has a logo already.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
That reads as "Labour: Heart of Labour" which is terrible. Or "AB: Heart" which is even worse. You can see what they're going for, but it doesn't work. The second "Labour" should be something else. It also looks like it was made in 1992.

Last edited:

Ubik

Cooper now officially in as well, albeit with a disappointing lack of logo.

ThierryHenry

wishes he could watch Arsenal games with KM
That reads as "Labour: Heart of Labour" which is terrible. Or "AB: Heart" which is even worse. You can see what they're going for, but it doesn't work. The second "Labour" should be something else. It also looks like it was made in 1992.
:lol:

It's absolutely awful.

Ubik

As all the major candidates have now declared, is there a chance a modmin could rig up a poll canvassing the initial caf support? Then we can maybe revisit after the campaign as in the general election. Hopefully this time without a Tory winning.

ThierryHenry

I don't know enough about the candidates for a truly informed opinion yet. It'll be Chukka or Kendall I'd say, I'm hoping Kendall but I don't even know a lot about her.

Ubik

Me neither, just interested in who has the initial nod and how the campaign changes things. "Don't know" can be an option of course. I think Kendall has a lot of things going her way, but as Danny Finkelstein mentioned earlier, "we don't know if she's any good yet" (or Chuka).

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
I don't know enough about the candidates for a truly informed opinion yet. It'll be Chukka or Kendall I'd say, I'm hoping Kendall but I don't even know a lot about her.
I'd vote either Kendal or Burnham if I were a Labour MP. I don't know much about them, but if the article I read was right either seem like the perfect choice for Labour.

Mockney

:lol: Unbelievable. Wonder how she'll react when someone tells her some couples already have children before they get married?
Or indeed of the Conservative PM a mere three iterations ago, who was a confirmed bachelor at 54. How unproper.

Mockney

No one called Tristram is actually real. It's a made up name from the 19th centruy, or Enid Blyton books or something. It's what AA Gill uses derisorily to call all people who work in television. And he's called AA Gill! The fact anyone called Tristram is in any way left wing is so impressive it should basically count for about 50 seats on its own.

Chorley1974

Lady Ole
If I had to pick someone to run the country it would be Andy Burnham. If I had to pick someone who I thought would destroy the Tories at the next election I'd pick Chuka Umunna.

It had to be Umunna really, he's vaguely Barack Obama enough to dazzle all the working class idiots who voted UKIP and let in the Tories.

I'd suggest that's more a reflection on you than him in that case. I have plenty of criticisms of Umunna, his intelligence isn't one of them.

i'm really struggling with this labour defeat rhetoric, it all seems to be idiot voters, rather than the labour party not coming up with a convincing package for government. i'm not a UKIP voter, but can see why many people vote for them, immigration should be controlled.

ThierryHenry

No one called Tristram is actually real. It's a made up name from the 19th centruy, or Enid Blyton books or something. It's what AA Gill uses derisorily to call all people who work in television. And he's called AA Gill! The fact anyone called Tristram is in any way left wing is so impressive it should basically count for about 50 seats on its own.
And where did he get Johnny Bravo's chin?

ThierryHenry

Tristam is beyond awful, he's been a disaster on QT. Please get away from the leadership debate and the front bench.

Mciahel Goodman

Worst Werewolf Player of All Times
Staff
His name is Tristram. Does anyone honestly believe that a guy called Tristram will go over will with the working class, rank+file that Labour purport to represent? These kinds of small, nitpicky things can make or break you in politics.

Would be worthy putting him in charge for a bit, just to see how long it would take Cameron's speech-writer to make a pun on Tristram Shandy.

Dion

i'm really struggling with this labour defeat rhetoric, it all seems to be idiot voters, rather than the labour party not coming up with a convincing package for government. i'm not a UKIP voter, but can see why many people vote for them, immigration should be controlled.
Staunch Labour voters who proclaim they would never vote Tory were voting for the people who are too right wing for the Tories. It was and is stupid.

Ubik

I doubt Hunt's got the necessary support from MPs to become a candidate (for good reason), which I'm guessing is why he's not declared yet. Not sure why Creagh declared today either, seems unlikely she'd get the necessary 35 nominations.

ThierryHenry

CHUKA UMUNNA WITHDRAWS FROM LABOUR LEADERSHIP CONTEST

Pretty shocking that. Leaves it open for Kendall or Burnham I suppose then.

Classical Mechanic

I do find that shocking. I was surprised by how many conversations about Umunna I have had in the past few days. I was starting to think that he had that x-factor.

Kaos

CHUKA UMUNNA WITHDRAWS FROM LABOUR LEADERSHIP CONTEST

Pretty shocking that. Leaves it open for Kendall or Burnham I suppose then.
Wow, unexpected but can't say I'm not relieved. Another swarmy Blairite being kept away from the Labour leadership can only be a good thing.

I hope Cooper declares soon, she'd be the best pick out of the lot I think.

rednev

There is non worthy of worship except God
There is likely to be more to this. There's no way he would pull out after 3 days due the usual level of pressure that a candidate could expect in a leadership contest, because he would have been well aware of what to expect. He will also be aware that such a decision will be used against him in any future leadership bid/election so it's not a decision he will have taken lightly.

Somebody must have some serious shit on him.

Mockney

Tbf, gay would be recoverable. He'll be seen as a sympathetic victim of a still archaic system/media in many quarters. It's better than "I couldn't take 3 days of pressure" at any rate.

rednev

There is non worthy of worship except God
Maybe that article from ConservativeWoman on him being too old to be single from really got to him...

bishblaize

A lot of tweets implying that he's gay, including one from Owen Jones.
Perhaps being gay (or bi) might be a shade too much for a leader in terms of right wing media hatred at this point, but honestly I think that it would have to be something other than that. It would be high risk indeed to try and use that as part of a smear campaign, the risk of a backlash would be higher than the risk of succesfully smearing him tbh (particularly amongst potential labour voters)

If we're guessing skeletons, my guess would be a few overly debauched club nights back in the day.

ThierryHenry

I imagine it would be the fact that he's hidden his sexuality to the degree of setting up a fake girlfriend, which would be criticised.

Obviously these could be completely nonsense rumours though, he could have decided to run for Mayor instead (though this seems unlikely with that statement). Lets just hope the fish stories go away...

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
If we're guessing skeletons, my guess would be a few overly debauched club nights back in the day.
Even if that is the case, isn't about time that the public got over the notion that gay sexual lifestyles - even the more extreme ones (from a hetero perspective, that is) - are somehow more immoral than straight ones?