Next permanent manager | Poll updated

Who should be the next permanent manager?

• Luis Enrique

Votes: 113 7.4%
  • Erik ten Hag

Votes: 1,300 84.7%
  • Julen Lopetegui

Votes: 10 0.7%
  • Mauricio Pochettino

Votes: 79 5.1%
  • None of the above

Votes: 32 2.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Withnail

By the FA Cup they won against Tuchel's Chelsea. I know, I know fluke and all that and sure they are in a bit of crisis I don't follow them around much (besides watching some games), but maybe the Leicester thing run its course and it's time for a change for the better of Rodgers and/or Leicester.
Leicester is a great club and all but they have a ceiling which is a lot lower than Man United

He is huge upgrade compared to Ole, his teams play great football, has a clear style of play, uses academy players, is "PL proven" and he just won the FA cup with freaking Leicester.
The most telling thing about a manager most of the times is the style of football he implements and how quickly, Rodgers had the foxes playing great stuff within 2-3 months since joining from Celtic. On the contrary Ole still hasn't got a style of play even after 3 years of patience, excuses, United DNA and shit like that.

My question is, why so much hatred for BR?
You can't read much into an FA Cup win. Just ask LVG.

Being better than the current manager isn't a good enough reason to get the job. He would be a thoroughly underwhelming appointment.

Why is 'PL proven' a criteria? Klopp/Pep/Tuchel/Conte weren't 'PL proven' when they came in and have done alright so it doesn't seem like that should be a requirement.

His clear style of play has defensive flaws which he's never shown any signs of fixing. You don't win the PL without a mean defence and defensive organisation has never been his strong suit.

As for hatred, he's a Liverpool cast off for starters. He wasn't deemed a good enough manager for their title ambitions and a few years later he's suddenly a world-beater? Also, Utd fans regularly did and still do take the piss out of him for his twatishness so I don't think he'd ever get a fair crack of the whip here even if he was good enough.

EDIT: He also has a dodgy enough record on transfers over the years. (Leicester already had a good structure in place and were making excellent signings before he came in so I don't think he can take credit for much on that side of things)

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
You can't read much into an FA Cup win. Just ask LVG.

Being better than the current manager isn't a good enough reason to get the job. He would be a thoroughly underwhelming appointment.

Why is 'PL proven' a criteria? Klopp/Pep/Tuchel/Conte weren't 'PL proven' when they came in and have done alright so it doesn't seem like that should be a requirement.

His clear style of play has defensive flaws which he's never shown any signs of fixing. You don't win the PL without a mean defence and defensive organisation has never been his strong suit.

As for hatred, he's a Liverpool cast off for starters. He wasn't deemed a good enough manager for their title ambitions and a few years later he's suddenly a world-beater? Also, Utd fans regularly did and still do take the piss out of him for his twatishness so I don't think he'd ever get a fair crack of the whip here even if he was good enough.
Your point about defense is very fair but the point about Liverpool isn't for two reasons. He was very young and inexperienced when he took the Liverpool job, unless you think that young managers don't develop your argument is flawed, it would be like suggesting that Tuchel was ready for Chelsea when he was at Mainz, in reality he continued to learn his trade at Dortmund and PSG. The second point is that he only managed them for three years and isn't tightly linked to them, we are not talking about a club legend or big figure, if anything his link to Chelsea is significantly more important.

The way I see it two very good point have been raised, he seemingly wants to have more influence than he should and as you suggested he hasn't developed defensively as much as he should if he wants to manage a top team.

Withnail

Your point about defense is very fair but the point about Liverpool isn't for two reasons. He was very young and inexperienced when he took the Liverpool job, unless you think that young managers don't develop your argument is flawed, it would be like suggesting that Tuchel was ready for Chelsea when he was at Mainz, in reality he continued to learn his trade at Dortmund and PSG. The second point is that he only managed them for three years and isn't tightly linked to them, we are not talking about a club legend or big figure, if anything his link to Chelsea is significantly more important.

The way I see it two very good point have been raised, he seemingly wants to have more influence than he should and as you suggested he hasn't developed defensively as much as he should if he wants to manage a top team.

Fair enough on the manager development thing but I'm not seeing that he's developed into someone who can challenge Klopp/Pep.

As for the Liverpool association, maybe it's only three years but for me he's strongly tied to Liverpool. It could be because they were in a title race the year after Fergie left and we were terrible, I'm not really sure. As for Chelsea, I'm not sure what you mean. He worked with the reserves ages ago? Chelsea isn't a huge rivalry for me anyway. They're just a London club with a lot of money as far as I'm concerned.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Fair enough on the manager development thing but I'm not seeing that he's developed into someone who can challenge Klopp/Pep.

As for the Liverpool association, maybe it's only three years but for me he's strongly tied to Liverpool. It could be because they were in a title race the year after Fergie left and we were terrible, I'm not really sure. As for Chelsea, I'm not sure what you mean. He worked with the reserves ages ago? Chelsea isn't a huge rivalry for me anyway. They're just a London club with a lot of money as far as I'm concerned.
How is he strongly tied to Liverpool though? They don't care about him and as far as I know he doesn't care much about them either. You are basically following the idea that he worked for them so he is tainted regardless of the actually relationship that he has with them which is interesting because when people Sir Matt Busby is mentioned people say that it was different back then, that argument would make sense if we were talking about Gerrard or Carragher who are tightly linked to Liverpool, they care about the club and the fans care for them.

Now since you have a point about Rodgers abilities it doesn't work as well but imagine a scenario where Rodgers, a Liverpool reject, joins United as a more seasoned manager and win more PL and CLs then Liverpool won since he left? United fans would have the last laugh.

Loon

:lol:
Rodgers is just about the most uninspiring and unexciting candidate. Imagine the team watching him waltz into the dressing room pulling that old second-hand Lidl Ferguson "this envelope has a name in it..." bullshit?

I would imagine it would be akin to Ferdinand/Vidic having a sit down with Dynamic Davy Moyes.

wolvored

If the club offered Rodgers today or in the next few weeks a 1.5/2.5 year contract I wouldnt be against it. 3 things will happen straight away. We will be coached better and consequently we will play a lot better under him and have a clear strategy of play.
Worse case scenario we win feck all, hes sacked in 18/36 months for a Ten Hag, Pocc, Zidane, whoever, then he would leave us with a better coached team and an attacking style of football.
Everything else is a massive bonus. He could manage us to greater things. Who knows?
feck hes managed Liverpool in the past. If Klopp was obtainable today no one would say no stick with Ole we dont want him because he managed Liverpool yesterday.

Rocksy

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
If Klopp was obtainable today no one would say no stick with Ole we dont want him because he managed Liverpool yesterday.
Dippers would be devastated if Klopp went to United. They’ll be loving it if Brendan ends up at United.

Brendan is a decent coach and would definitely improve on OGS. I don’t think he’s quite the dick he used to be, and he would get more out of your attacking players. However, his sides always have weaknesses that don’t get fixed, and he’s weird with transfers.

Robertd0803

LONG TERM

So the end of his first season where we were rubbish and losing to Cardiff at home was what? The rubbish start the following year where the Covid lockdown actually saved our season was what?
The inability to win the Europa League was what?
Less than "a blip"??

This is just depressing.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
They didn't had a very good track record during Rodgers time, it was truly terrible. And they got rid of the committee model during Klopp first year and moved to a DOF model with Edwards.
«Rodgers was the driving force behind signing the likes of Fabio Borini, Joe Allen, Adam Lallana, Dejan Lovren, Rickie Lambert, Danny Ings, James Milner and Christian Benteke, while the other members of the committee championed the suitability of players such as Daniel Sturridge, Philippe Coutinho, Sakho, Emre Can, Moreno, Luis Alberto, Iago Aspas, Lazar Markovic, Divock Origi and Roberto Firmino.»

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/brendan-rodgers-liverpool-fc-transfer-10201451.amp

Not great, and few of them was a success at Liverpool. But only Firmino and Sakho was expensive, I think? And quite a few, who did not make it at Liverpool, turned out quite good (and value considering the fee).

Furthermore, at the time, it felt more like they strenghtened the committees influence by making Edwards, the head of the committee, Director of Football. All the people remained, but the influence of the most important figure was increased.

I do agree with you, however, that most people develop and improve in their job. And like you, I really dont see it as all that negative that Rodgers has experience from Liverpool. If he was better I would not care. It is just that I really dont think he has improved that much. And the competition have improved much more.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Can't believe it's even a thing that Rodgers has to respond to rumours of coming here.

Delano

Whoever is the next manager, they need to do a far better job in terms of squad management.

Fringe players unhappy over broken promises, and players with reduced values/leaving on a free as they weren't sold at their peak value (Lingard, Pogba, Henderson etc). You can't complain about a lack of funds when you refuse to move players out.

hobbers

The long term view is Ole is terrible at all aspects of management, our best periods under Ole came in his first 10 games and the post-lockdown end of 19/20 season. Other than that the football has been, majority of the time, terrible, and the results poor.

copen1945

FFS, Solskjaer himself only weeks ago admitted there’s been “two or three” crises at the club since he became manager.

Laughable.
The narrative has already changed. It is no longer a crisis that the board must respond to. It is just a storm in a teacup. Ole or no Ole, this directionless approach has been frustrating.

Ollie Derbyshire

To be honest I think Rogers has done well wherever he’s been, usually on limited funds. His teams are well coached and play good attacking football and he’d be an improvement on Ole. He definitely seems to be able to get the most out of his players.

I haven’t seen anything of Ten Haag but Ajax seem to be doing well in the CL and usually play good football, it would be a choice between these two for me. Take Rogers for PL experience and proven good coach or take Haag as potentially the next up and coming manager.

Not sure on Zidane, did great at Madrid but not managed since? Why’s that? Does he need convincing to come to us and the PL? If so I’d stay away.

croadyman

To be honest I think Rogers has done well wherever he’s been, usually on limited funds. His teams are well coached and play good attacking football and he’d be an improvement on Ole. He definitely seems to be able to get the most out of his players.

I haven’t seen anything of Ten Haag but Ajax seem to be doing well in the CL and usually play good football, it would be a choice between these two for me. Take Rogers for PL experience and proven good coach or take Haag as potentially the next up and coming manager.

Not sure on Zidane, did great at Madrid but not managed since? Why’s that? Does he need convincing to come to us and the PL? If so I’d stay away.
Yeah I personally like the fact that so many of our fanbase don't want him, think that would put fire in his belly straight away.

moodyred

I suspect united will take time to find the right manager while giving Ole a respectable exit. This means allowing him to manage the team till the end of the season.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
I suspect united will take time to find the right manager while giving Ole a respectable exit. This means allowing him to manage the team till the end of the season.
The cub aren't doing a damn thing. I am sure of it. Ole will be see out his contact at the very least, he's landed in the perfect storm for him to be completely insulated within the club and pretty much untouchable by the looks of it.

Kag

I’d take Pochettino at the end of the season if he fancies the switch. Aside from him I’m struggling to care. Unless it’s Rodgers, and then I might just give football a swerve altogether.

Knux

Supports
AIK Stockholm
«Rodgers was the driving force behind signing the likes of Fabio Borini, Joe Allen, Adam Lallana, Dejan Lovren, Rickie Lambert, Danny Ings, James Milner and Christian Benteke,
It’s not a suprise that Rodgers failed badly at Pool when you take a look at his signings. Thats a bunch of mediocre players.

I Don’t think Rodgers been the driving force of signings in Leicester though. Because they’ve signed much better in his time there.

Great post btw.

Lecland07

It’s not a suprise that Rodgers failed badly at Pool when you take a look at his signings. Thats a bunch of mediocre players.

I Don’t think Rodgers been the driving force of signings in Leicester though. Because they’ve signed much better in his time there.

Great post btw.
Nor Celtic, nor Swansea. Liverpool is actually the only one where bad signings were made. It is actually against the norm of Rodger's career.

Liverpool also had a habit of signing total dross before him. Do people forget Andy Carrol?

I actually lean to it being more in the Liverpool board and transfer committee in that case.

RedCurry

Whoever is the next manager, they need to do a far better job in terms of squad management.

Fringe players unhappy over broken promises, and players with reduced values/leaving on a free as they weren't sold at their peak value (Lingard, Pogba, Henderson etc). You can't complain about a lack of funds when you refuse to move players out.
When team is winning and playing well, fringe players magically have nothing to complain about. Big teams leave big players on the bench all the time. Difference is that the big teams are winning trophies and players there are stacking up medals. We have to put all our focus on playing good football and winning trophies. Everything else will fall into place.

King Kendrick

Supports
Eredivisie
I feel like history is repeating itself. We went from club legend after Fergie to stable yet unspectacular, now if we grab Rodgers we’re doing the same thing.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
How about wenger till the end of the season ?

He said he wouldn't mind being a manager short term and when asked what player he would have loved to manage and nearly missed out, he answered ronaldo.

Last edited:

Winrar

The window of time to give Ole a respectable exit was before Liverpool. Even after the City game would've been appropriate.

More of the season he's in charge of, the more "respect" he will lose particularly among fans who weren't old enough to relieve or appreciate the 1999 treble.

Jackal981

How about wenger till the end of the season ?

He said he wouldn't mind being a manager short term and when asked what player he would have loved to manage and nearly missed out, he answered ronaldo.
He would instantly improve us. His last years at Arse were underrated and their fans are taking top 4 for granted. Now look where they are

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
The problem is that could come at the cost of CL football next year. I would guess we're probably still favourites for fourth but it certainly isn't a given if Ole is in charge.

Josep Dowling

Whoever they hire they have to stop giving out extended contracts like confetti. There is no need to give a manager a 5 year contract. Most managers last all of 2 seasons these days. Earn the contract extension. The whole situation around the manager just shows what a shambles this club is.

No other mega club would allow a 5-0 loss to their arch rivals alongside the slide in form we have had, having spent so much money in the summer. In some respects I do feel sorry for Ole. He isn’t going to walk away from a job. He will be lucky to manage in a top European league again. The board should have sacked him long ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.