Next permanent manager | Poll updated

Who should be the next permanent manager?

• Luis Enrique

Votes: 113 7.4%
  • Erik ten Hag

Votes: 1,300 84.7%
  • Julen Lopetegui

Votes: 10 0.7%
  • Mauricio Pochettino

Votes: 79 5.1%
  • None of the above

Votes: 32 2.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dansk

I don't think I could bear it if they appoint Rodgers. I don't care if he has done reasonably well at Leicester. The man looked like an absolute imbecile in that documentary and he has never done anything that indicates he'd be suited for a club like this. He failed to accomplish anything at Liverpool. While he won the league all three years at Celtic, they won it nine fecking years in a row around that time, so I don't think much of that. He hasn't done so well at Leicester that it proves he would take a bigger club to league titles and CL finals. The only thing of real note that he has accomplished in his entire managerial career is the FA Cup, and that doesn't prove a whole lot to me. In the last decade we've seen Watford, Palace, Villa and fecking Hull in the final. It's nice to win it, but in no way does it stand as some incredible achievement that makes you qualified for one of the biggest managerial jobs in the sporting world. Not even slightly.

Last edited:

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
When drawing out potential candidates, this is very high on the agenda.

Find a manager that will not cause the board a fuss. It seems that is the metric when it comes to deciding a new manager.

This is why Conte was not considered.

The Glazers will not get a manager to bring success to us, I doubt if we will ever win the league again under their ownership because of this.
Thing is though, at Liverpool Rodgers did cause issues. He was resistant to the DOF and recruitment team set-up and (according to a Tony Evans article I read) eroded trust wuth FSG by "throwing them under a bus" in terms of transfers that didn't work out by publicly saying it was a money issue when it wasn't. And then when he went to Leicester he had his own man installed as their Head of Recruitment.

Given we've just moved towards a DOF structure and have spent the last few years bigging up the changes we've made to our recruitment system, Rodgers could be more disruptive than people think.

croadyman

I don't think I could bear it if they appoint Rodgers. I don't care if he has done reasonably well at Leicester. The man looked like an absolute imbecile in that documentary and he has never done anything that indicates he'd be suited for a club like this. He failed to accomplish anything at Liverpool. While he won the league all three years at Celtic, they won it nine fecking years in a row, so I don't think much of that. He hasn't done so well at Leicester that it proves he would take a bigger club to league titles and CL finals. The only thing of note that he has accomplished there is the FA Cup, and that doesn't prove a whole lot to me. In the last decade we've seen Watford, Palace, Villa and fecking Hull in the final. It's nice to win it, but in no way does it stand as some incredible achievement that makes you qualified for one of the biggest managerial jobs in the sporting world. Not even slightly.
Personally like the fact he is a dead man walking before even getting through the doors. Will mean at least those yanks upstairs won't get all dithery and sentimental with this guy

kps88

I don't know where this perception of the owners only wanting a yes man has come from. It's the same board that appointed LVG and Mourinho.

wolvored

Managers don't bring whole lot of staff. Tuchel brought couple of coaches and the same coaches who worked under Lampard also worked under Tuchel. If we rate them based on Lampard stint, they are shit. If we rate them based on Tuchel time they are awesome.
True. I do hope whoever comes in can also coach and coach Carrick and McKenna to coach better, if they stay, and not be the same as Ole a bad man manager only

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Personally like the fact he is a dead man walking before even getting through the doors. Will mean at least those yanks upstairs won't get all dithery and sentimental with this guy
:lol: This is true! I would be fine with Rodgers but also happy that he'll be on a short leash unless he can win us all over quickly. Every manager should be on a short leash at this club until they build up the level of trust with the management and fans that they can get away with a few low points here and there.

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.
BR is an absolute fecking gowl and it'll be a sad day for humanity if he's allowed become manager in the megastore, never mind the football team.

Last edited:

Chaky_Best

Supports 'a joke of a club'.
Rodgers is a far better manager than Ole. But doesn't even exist in the same galaxy as Pep, Klopp, Tuchel or Conte.

IF we really want to appoint him, it will mean that we have absolutely no clue as a club, and owners, advisors, chairman, DoF are all useless in this circus.

stw2022

We don’t need the best manager. We just need a good one. We’ll go from there

saivet

I think the reports of Rodgers are probably because he's the only manager on our shortlist who would definitely take the job at the end of the season. I think if it comes to the end of the season and Poch is available they'll go for him over Rodgers. I think the same would apply to Zidane as well, if they could convince him. I think Enrique is impossible due to the World Cup and while a lot of us fans like Ten Hag, I'm not convinced the board would go in hard for him nor do I think he would be all that eager to come given how the club is run.

justboy68

As if 'caughtoffside' would be the one to have the inside track. They are just guessing and making things up based on him being bookies favourite I reckon.

Infra-red

I think the reports of Rodgers are probably because he's the only manager on our shortlist who would definitely take the job at the end of the season. I think if it comes to the end of the season and Poch is available they'll go for him over Rodgers. I think the same would apply to Zidane as well, if they could convince him. I think Enrique is impossible due to the World Cup and while a lot of us fans like Ten Hag, I'm not convinced the board would go in hard for him nor do I think he would be all that eager to come given how the club is run.
I'd say that this is probably about right, judging by what we've read so far.

Ole is a dead man walking. Rodgers at the end of the season appears to be the default position now, unless we can persuade Zidane (v. unlikely) or Pochettino (possible). If things go very badly wrong with Ole, our only mid-season option would be Rodgers, although even that would be quite difficult. The preference is therefore to at least get to the end of the season with Ole and then see where we are with Zidane/Pochettino, before appointing Rodgers.

saivet

I'd say that this is probably about right, judging by what we've read so far.

Ole is a dead man walking. Rodgers at the end of the season appears to be the default position now, unless we can persuade Zidane (v. unlikely) or Pochettino (possible). If things go very badly wrong with Ole, our only mid-season option would be Rodgers, although even that would be quite difficult. The preference is therefore to at least get to the end of the season with Ole and then see where we are with Zidane/Pochettino, before appointing Rodgers.
Yeah there doesn't seem to be any talk of any viable caretaker managers either unless the board suddenly change their tune and bring in Ragnick and promise him a big role at the end of the season, which I think is extremely unlikely.

Bertie 2 Hats

He’s not been mentioned much but Luis Enrique would be one I would like.

Can’t see many negatives. He is a very good manager.
I agree.. In the 3 seasons as Barcelona manager Luis Enrique won - La Liga : 2014–15, 2015–16... Copa del Rey : 2014–15, 2015–16, 2016–17... Supercopa de Espana : 2016... UEFA Champions League : 2014–15... UEFA Super Cup : 2015... FIFA Club World Cup : 2015... He's surely got to be in the mix for our next manager.

redmanx

I find it incredible that there are people who would be happy if Brendan Rodgers took over; why? Rodgers has done and won nothing in English or European football to show he is in any way shape or form cut out to manage Manchester United. I believe hes won some trophies with Celtic in a league comprising of Celtic, Rangers and.....and nothing else. I would prefer to let Ole see the season out rather than have Rodgers come in and then sack him 18 months later, because hes simply not good enough. And do we really want Liverpools cast offs?

I find it incredible that there are people who would be happy if Brendan Rodgers took over; why? Rodgers has done and won nothing in English or European football to show he is in any way shape or form cut out to manage Manchester United
Is it really that hard to believe? He's 1) literally won more in English football than the current Manchester United manager, and 2) finished 4 and 8 points behind us in the league in the last couple of seasons with a team that has literally a fraction of our resources.

It's not so much being happy at the idea of Rodgers taking over as assessing whether he would be an improvement on the current manager - I don't really see how anyone can argue he wouldn't be.

redmanx

Is it really that hard to believe? He's 1) literally won more in English football than the current Manchester United manager, and 2) finished 4 and 8 points behind us in the league in the last couple of seasons with a team that has literally a fraction of our resources.

It's not so much being happy at the idea of Rodgers taking over as assessing whether he would be an improvement on the current manager - I don't really see how anyone can argue he wouldn't be.
But how much of an improvement? Whats the point of bringing him in just to finish 4th, at best, and maybe reach a semi final? Why go for mediocre?

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
I’d like to see Gary Neville defend Brendan Rodgers like he has with Solskjær if things go bad for him here. Not a chance would that happen! If Rodgers was in Solskjær position now and coming of a battering from Liverpool and city then Neville would be the first one to say he should be out and isn’t good enough.

Judas

Open to offers
I’d like to see Gary Neville defend Brendan Rodgers like he has with Solskjær if things go bad for him here. Not a chance would that happen! If Rodgers was in Solskjær position now and coming of a battering from Liverpool and city then Neville would be the first one to say he should be out and isn’t good enough.
Eh he was all for giving all our other managers post Fergie time too, so I wouldn't be so sure about that at all.

Lee565

Imagine holding out for an entire season to appoint the right manager and it then end up being just bloody Brendan rodgers.

Would it not be ideal for all parties to hire zidane now as purely a caretaker manager til the end of the season as we would get a big time manager that has won it all before getting ten hag on permanent basis and zidane would have little to lose even if he didn't win anything because of the bad start to the season and can then potentially go on to taking over from deschamps as france manager

But how much of an improvement? Whats the point of bringing him in just to finish 4th, at best, and maybe reach a semi final? Why go for mediocre?
It's all speculation. You're confident he's mediocre and his ceiling is 4th. I think he could do better - there are a couple of other managers I'd rather have, sure, but I want to change the manager right now and if he's the best we can get right now I'm fine with it.

Never understood the "what's the point if we just need to sack him 18 months later" approach - if he's shite, we sack him and try again with someone better. That's not a reason to keep going with Ole right now.

Dansk

We really can't appoint a manager who, just a handful of years ago, was the subject of constant relentless scorn and mockery by the fans that are now expected to accept him. That's not going to work. And I imagine players (those who were in England at the time of Rodgers' Liverpool tenure) likely felt much the same way about him as fans did. The man was regarded far and wide as a buffoon, football's David Brent. It doesn't even matter if he has grown more competent in the time since, you cannot lead a club that used to laugh at your foolishness.

With Mourinho, while United fans didn't exactly love him when he was at Chelsea, at least we admired his accomplishments and credentials. With Rodgers there's nothing but distaste. He would be rejected from the start. For his own sake as much as ours, he shouldn't take the job. There's no way it would end in anything but disaster. Nothing in his entire career suggests the slightest chance that he would show up at United and be an instant success, and if he doesn't, he'll be thrown to the wolves at the first whiff of disappointment.

There couldn't possibly be a worse time for this club to consider a gamble on a manager that fans are skeptical of from the beginning. It's the very last thing we need right now. The next manager has to be someone that everyone's enthusiastic about and believes in. Until Zidane, Ten Hag, Poch and any other tolerable candidate gives the club a hard no, Rodgers shouldn't even be a consideration. He should be the very last resort, if absolutely nobody else who's remotely viable is available.

Last edited:

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
We really can't appoint a manager who, just a handful of years ago, was the subject of constant relentless scorn and mockery by the fans that are now expected to accept him. That's not going to work. And I imagine players (those who were in England at the time of Rodgers' Liverpool tenure) likely felt much the same way about him as fans did. The man was regarded far and wide as a buffoon, football's David Brent. It doesn't even matter if he has grown more competent in the time since, you cannot lead a club that used to laugh at your foolishness. With Mourinho, while United fans didn't exactly love him when he was at Chelsea, at least we admired his accomplishments and credentials. With Rodgers there's nothing but distaste. He would be rejected from the start. For his own sake as much as ours, he shouldn't take the job. There's no way it would end in anything but disaster. Nothing in his entire career suggests the slightest chance that he would show up at United and be an instant success, and if he doesn't, he'll be thrown to the wolves at the first whiff of disappointment.
If you listen to this place, nobody wants any of the options apart from Ten Hag, and I'd bet that's not based on their own evidence having watched a lot of Ajax. You can rule out Poch and Rodgers based on opinions on here. You can rule out Zidane because he doesn't want the job.

It's all noise anyway as it's unlikely that we'll be getting a new manager. This is just the club throwing out stories to a) distract the fans and b) divide the dissenters who are Ole out.

Ole will be here next season so stop worrying about Rodgers or anybody else.

Oranges038

Thinking outside the box and I haven't seen him mentioned here.

How's about Marcello Gallardo from River Plate? Has won a lot in South America and has them playing some good football.

Was recently heavily linked to the Barca job.

Status
Not open for further replies.