Next permanent manager | Poll updated

Who should be the next permanent manager?

• Luis Enrique

Votes: 113 7.4%
  • Erik ten Hag

Votes: 1,300 84.7%
  • Julen Lopetegui

Votes: 10 0.7%
  • Mauricio Pochettino

Votes: 79 5.1%
  • None of the above

Votes: 32 2.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

IFC 1905

Doesn't speak English.
Won't say he does but he played for a season at DC United in the States so I guess he knows the basics, plus he can still learn and at the end it's not the most important thing, with Bielsa proving it. He would learn with time. The important thing is the football language.

lsd

The Oracle
If we do get a new manager then the most important thing is for them to bring in their own coaching set up.

I am convinced Carrick offers nothing coaching wise and while McKenna is highly thought off I think he is not experienced enough at this point for a club like United.

FromTheBench

Galtier is a very interesting choice for me.

He has had incredible success with limited resources.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
It‘s crazy that United would turn down the chance to have Ragnick run the football side. Woodward has always had people briefing for him that he’s met Rangnick for talks or he “likes” Nagelsmann and Tuchel, and that he “gets on with“ Van der Sa. It’s as though he’s trying to position himself as some kind of football expert, expert enough that he talks with these people but they’re “not quite right” for him to hire. It’s absolutely pathetic.
It's not crazy at all. Rangnick has never run a top club, he has never won anything in decades of managing. Apart from doing a decent job managing a few Bundesliga clubs for a few seasons, what he's done of note is is get 4th division clubs up to first division with heavy investment over many years. It's bizarre why he would somehow be a suitable candidate for a job as massive as the Man United one, he absolutely isn't.
It's not happening, and it's really not something to cry over, forget Rangnick, he's not what you need.

Who do people think can compete with klopp, guardiola and tuchel? Or anyone that matches them tactically and plays good football? There can’t be many out there that could but I think there are a few that have potential to be one of the best managers/coaches… ten Haag has got to be one of them and even klopp said he’s one of the most exciting coaches in Europe at the minute. Are there any German managers that can come and do a job with us and compete with the best in the prem? I like the style that most Germans play which is attacking and front foot football
Nope.
I think someone like Potter would be a much better choice. Or of course Pochettino.

steffyr2

How many managers of other teams have been replaced so far this year? Seems like most of them.....

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Won't say he does but he played for a season at DC United in the States so I guess he knows the basics, plus he can still learn and at the end it's not the most important thing, with Bielsa proving it. He would learn with time. The important thing is the football language.
I don't disagree. Our management won't like it.

JebelSherif

Supports
Huddersfield Town
I don't see Ranieri on the list (a recent PL winning manager) - if Watford don't win on Saturday he might be under some pressure....

croadyman

We simply have to get an interim asap then at least these players can have some proper coaching for the rest of this season

WPMUFC

We keep talking Ten Hag (i personally hope we can get him).....but is there any indication in the slightest that he'd want a project that is completely stifled by the Glazers and woodwards hand picked lackey?

He going to be the next big thing in management....why does he need us? I think a lot of the fan discussion has to put in the entire club into the discussion. Until we get new owners/board, are we actually going to have a compelling narrative for these managers to come in?

Kaos

We simply have to get an interim asap then at least these players can have some proper coaching for the rest of this season
Yep, at this point I’m not fussed if it’s Rodgers, Ragnick, Ten Hag or Muck Hucknall. I just want our current coaching stuff gone before they do anymore daft damage like convincing Sancho he’s a RWB or rushing more of our players back from injury. I’d even take an empty chair as an interim as I’d feel less worried about the lasting damage from it than I do from our current coaches.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
We need someone short term to the end of the season. Could be anyone with a good CV , plenty of options. In the summer we need to get Ten Hag. He is worth more than a 50 million pound player. He has the potential to be a Klopp.

Mainoldo

We need someone short term to the end of the season. Could be anyone with a good CV , plenty of options. In the summer we need to get Ten Hag. He is worth more than a 50 million pound player. He has the potential to be a Klopp.
Can you prove that? He literally manages Ajax. There’s lost two managers who also did well have been absolute flops when leaving.

dove

We keep talking Ten Hag (i personally hope we can get him).....but is there any indication in the slightest that he'd want a project that is completely stifled by the Glazers and woodwards hand picked lackey?

He going to be the next big thing in management....why does he need us? I think a lot of the fan discussion has to put in the entire club into the discussion. Until we get new owners/board, are we actually going to have a compelling narrative for these managers to come in?
We are still one of the biggest clubs in the world and have a massive transfer budget. I would think we are very attractive to managers, especially as our fanbase doesn't demand anything really unless you screw up really bad. You would have a lot more pressure at clubs like Real, Chelsea, Barca etc compared to us. And if you are the first to do a good job after SAF and actually win the league/CL, you will have a godlike status here. It doesn't sound too bad, does it?

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Can you prove that? He literally manages Ajax. There’s lost two managers who also did well have been absolute flops when leaving.
There is no 100% way to judge a manager moving to a new team same as a footballer.

To use your example just because Kezman or Huntellar were flops doesn't mean you can't find a Ruud or Suarez from that league. I had a personal short list of three (Zidane, Conte, ten Hag) and believe we should do anything within our power to get one of them. We've already fecked up Conte, so need to go all out for the other two.

Here is Klopp talking about Ten Hag:
https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/spo...rpool-manchester-united-jurgen-klopp-22117685

I will also add there are no guarantees in football but two years of the likes of Rashford, Greenwood, Hannibal etc getting high level coaching and the fans getting to see high energy attacking football will be worth it. If he doesn't win anything after two years then sack him and try a new guy. It's really not that complicated.

Ixion

He got them to the Semi-Finals beating Real and Juve, and they've won 4/4 Champions League this season. He does have some credentials with them outside of the Dutch League. I do think any big team appointing him is taking a risk as no one knows how he'll do but in terms of managers out there with potential he's an obvious one that a team is going to take a gamble on eventually.

Mainoldo

There is no 100% way to judge a manager moving to a new team same as a footballer.

To use your example just because Kezman or Huntellar were flops doesn't mean you can't find a Ruud or Suarez from that league. I had a personal short list of three (Zidane, Conte, ten Hag) and believe we should do anything within our power to get one of them. We've already fecked up Conte, so need to go all out for the other two.

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/spo...rpool-manchester-united-jurgen-klopp-22117685

I will also add there are no guarantees in football but two years of the likes of Rashford, Greenwood, Hannibal etc getting high level coaching and the fans getting to see high energy attacking football will be worth it. If he doesn't win anything after two years then sack him and try a new guy. It's really not that complicated.
Im not saying he will flop. He was my original pick. But I always thought he would be a big risk and because of that if he does not want the job now I’m not willing to wait just for someone who plays good football. The rest like you have said is just an hope. We hope he can improve the younger players but what about those who are already established? He could well be an LVG who can’t manage the already proven.. therefore we are wasting time with the short term which is what this team has now become. We need to achieve silverware now.

Mainoldo

He got them to the Semi-Finals beating Real and Juve, and they've won 4/4 Champions League this season. He does have some credentials with them outside of the Dutch League. I do think any big team appointing him is taking a risk as no one knows how he'll do but in terms of managers out there with potential he's an obvious one that a team is going to take a gamble on eventually.
Agreed agreed. Just like i said above. I don’t think the risk is worth waiting a whole season like many want to. We are wasting the short term doing that.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Im not saying he will flop. He was my original pick. But I always thought he would be a big risk and because of that if he does not want the job now I’m not willing to wait just for someone who plays good football. The rest like you have said is just an hope. We hope he can improve the younger players but what about those who are already established? He could well be an LVG who can’t manage the already proven.. therefore we are wasting time with the short term which is what this team has now become. We need to achieve silverware now.
It's all short term right now in football. Lvg got two seasons and was let go. If the same happens with Ten Hag so be it. High risk, high reward like the saying goes.

Also in regards to wasting the season, I refuse to believe that we can't find a qualified interim.

Gordon Godot

It's all short term right now in football. Lvg got two seasons and was let go. If the same happens with Ten Hag so be it. High risk, high reward like the saying goes.

Also in regards to wasting the season, I refuse to believe that we can't find a qualified interim.
THe problem is the overall club strcuture. Chelsea have a good structure, DoF etc, great youth. They can change managers and not too much changes for the overall club. City prepared a great structure for Pep, which worked well for the various managers before him. We have no structure, just Woodward and his new successor obsessing with Disneyland and saying we have 27 George Clooneys. They dont want to give control to real football people. So we lurch from one manager to another like a drunk, pulling the whole club in different directions. Remember Woodward announced LVG and said he was famed for attacking football. That raised a few eyebrows at the time.

Adnan

Talent Spotter

Completely agree with you mate.

There's no guarantee with any appointment but with ten Hag there's genuine hope that he has the style as well as having the substance in putting together a package which could elevate us to challenge for the league. Comparing him to de Boer or Villas Boas, is ignorant, but nothing surprises me on this forum any more.

Ten Hag's biggest challenge will be to implement his plan of action which the players will have to grasp if he's to succeed imo. And that plan revolves around controlling the game both on and off the ball whilst maintaining zonal/positional control which will provide a structure to our offensive and defensive transitions. And the aim will be to do that in the opponents half in a compact block which would also help us apply high pressure and also counter press effectively.

If he succeeds in implementing his way of playing the game then I have no doubt we'll challenge for the league. Because once you create those conditions, (described above) you've created a well oiled machine which is gonna be difficult to stop.

Last edited:

Mainoldo

I get your point but my point is we are not getting an interim and I do not believe a manager is successful here within the next two years if we do not make Champions League this season. We cannot rely on an interim for that. Imagine a club of our competence. We would give it to Fletcher. It’s very important we get a manager now capable of doing the job. So hoping on Ten Hag only works if he comes in now. If that does happen which I can only hope. We would then have to evaluate how he actually deals with elite quality footballers.

Lee565

The harsh reality is that we have missed out on the best we could have got in conte not once but twice now, realistically the likes of ten hag and zidane will go to a more recently successful side over us

Teja

Galtier is a very interesting choice for me.

He has had incredible success with limited resources.
We need a thread on the guy, he seems to be doing incredibly well and yet noone talks about him. I was writing up a post comparing various metrics like xG, xA, PPDA over the last couple of seasons across top five leagues and his name kept coming up across all metrics.

And yet I don't know a lot about him. I don't think we've played his Lille side at all in the last 5 years.

NoPace

Scotland or Turkey similar to Argentina? that's funny.

I think He'll go to a good but midtable team like you said, just like Simeone did for example. Or Poch.
Why is it funny? 538 has River 93rd between Newcastle and Club Brugge and Boca the next club at 149th.

I think most people would have Turkey solidly ahead of Argentina and Scotland a bit below, if anything I was being generous.

If he's as good a manager as Simeone or Pochettino then yeah, some team better than Catania should go for him. Pochettino got the Espanyol job with zero experience, so that was actually a pretty big call by them. Maybe Gallardo can get a better job like Sociedad (if their manager gets a big move) or Villareal if Emery leaves after the whole newcastle business.

NoPace

We need a thread on the guy, he seems to be doing incredibly well and yet noone talks about him. I was writing up a post comparing various metrics like xG, xA, PPDA over the last couple of seasons across top five leagues and his name kept coming up across all metrics.

And yet I don't know a lot about him. I don't think we've played his Lille side at all in the last 5 years.
He seems to favor an old fashioned 4-4-2 which would be interesting as nobody outside of Burnley plays it in the Prem really (Unless you count Southampton, and it's possible Benitez would if Calvert-Lewin and Richarlison were healthy).

croadyman

Dorsett's tweet suggests we have absolutely no intention of sacking Ole, god knows how long it's going to be until we actually see someone else in charge of this club and thrown in the towel on any hope of an interim coming in. We are totally lumbered until the end of this season and will just watch the games but with no feeling for the results.

Ralph1386

As I said in the Poch vs Rodgers thread, unless Poch gets sacked, then Rodgers is the club's only back-up option to Ole. They clearly do not want a Zidane or Ralf Rangnick, which is a shame.

At the moment, either the downfall continues with Ole, or the club gets Rodgers. Sad to only have these options but can't realistically see anything else happening.

croadyman

As I said in the Poch vs Rodgers thread, unless Poch gets sacked, then Rodgers is the club's only back-up option to Ole. They clearly do not want a Zidane or Ralf Rangnick, which is a shame.

At the moment, either the downfall continues with Ole, or the club gets Rodgers. Sad to only have these options but can't realistically see anything else happening.
Yeah complete and utter shambles that neither of them are being considered and do not start me on their clear reluctance to appoint an interim either which is so hypocritical when they had no problem doing it three years ago when it became untenable

IFC 1905

Why is it funny? 538 has River 93rd between Newcastle and Club Brugge and Boca the next club at 149th.

I think most people would have Turkey solidly ahead of Argentina and Scotland a bit below, if anything I was being generous.

If he's as good a manager as Simeone or Pochettino then yeah, some team better than Catania should go for him. Pochettino got the Espanyol job with zero experience, so that was actually a pretty big call by them. Maybe Gallardo can get a better job like Sociedad (if their manager gets a big move) or Villareal if Emery leaves after the whole newcastle business.
it’s funny because we’re talking about one of the biggest clubs in south America’s history, with all the pressure that means, those leagues are not even in the same league when it comes to that, and the media coverage is also times bigger.

It’s kind of ridiculous trying to compare Europeans to South American leagues because here you need to rebuild the team every single season, that alone is harder than in Europe, with the pressure to win being way harder. There’s no way a guy like Ole would last 6 months at river plate or boca juniors with all the embarrassment United has suffered.

so apart from being a tactical genius, hes already prepared to deal with pressure and expectations.

simeone for example got sacked from river plate, he left the team in the last position of the league.

But it’s the way someone said it before here, he’ll go to another club (and it’s probably going to be a big one) and here people will be wondering why they didn’t consider him.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
My second choice after Ten Hag. Hope PSG sack him soon enough.
If PSG sack him then it will look bad for us employing someone who has just been sacked at PSG… what makes people think he’ll be good for us if he can’t do nothing with PSG and the squad they have. We should be able to go for whoever we want wether there in a club or not, even if we get a new manager but let them carry on the season with there current club and let them start with us next season… if we’re willing to pay out compensation for Rodgers during the season then they should be happy with doing it for anyone baring in mind if they want to join us that is.

Flytan

If PSG sack him then it will look bad for us employing someone who has just been sacked at PSG… what makes people think he’ll be good for us if he can’t do nothing with PSG and the squad they have. We should be able to go for whoever we want wether there in a club or not, even if we get a new manager but let them carry on the season with there current club and let them start with us next season… if we’re willing to pay out compensation for Rodgers during the season then they should be happy with doing it for anyone baring in mind if they want to join us that is.
Poch isnt one of the guys I want but literally look at Tuchel at Chelsea. The board has a hard for Poch too.

LawCharltonBest

Enjoys watching fox porn
Tuchel

Managing PSG is a weird job. All domestic matches mean nothing, it’s all about winning the CL

Status
Not open for further replies.