Next permanent manager | Poll updated

Who should be the next permanent manager?

• Luis Enrique

Votes: 113 7.4%
  • Erik ten Hag

Votes: 1,300 84.7%
  • Julen Lopetegui

Votes: 10 0.7%
  • Mauricio Pochettino

Votes: 79 5.1%
  • None of the above

Votes: 32 2.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
Are you speaking on behalf of the whole Caf now? Impressive!
So you genuinely think most of the Caf missed the emergence of Erik Ten Hag in the season where Ajax reached the semi-finals of the CL which was last done in 2005, beating the likes of Real Madrid and Juventus?

padzilla

Hipster
Is everybody pretending the board aren't itching to appoint Carrick as manager?

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Changing the structure to suit Ten Hag is obviously the sensible option, but we're never gonna do that are we? WIth our board I think Poch is the best option, honestly.
The structure has already been changed, if anything with Pochettino we will have to change it again and push Murtough/Fletcher aside.

romufc

No, I'm talking about the posts you're replying to. Same people that are adamant and convinced Ten Hag is levels above Poch despite most likely not having watched much of his Ajax team beside their last 2 CL games against Dortmund when his name became hot topic on the Caf.
Oh fair enough, yep, I actually never knew so many United fans watched the dutch league. He is also apparently going to City after Pep, if you read some posts.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Think people are underrating the probability that ten haag will fail after a huge jump up in standard. He has the best team and the best setup by a mile in an easy league. It would be great and interesting and I would be behind it. But we know poch can have success, especially if he isn't forced to play static players and can play the hard workers he will want to play
It's always the way that people dont see any potential negatives when assessing managers. They only remember the peak, or the most recent results.

It was the same with Poch before he moved to PSG it was always that he'd come here and have us playing football like his peak Spurs team straight away. He's not been able to replicate it with PSG yet.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
Some of the posters moaning about Poch and demanding Ten Hag didn't even know who the latter was until a few weeks ago.

God bless the Caf.
Exactly. This place is sometimes a comedy show. :lol:

And I'd go as far as to say it's not only some but most people.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
Changing the structure to suit Ten Hag is obviously the sensible option, but we're never gonna do that are we? WIth our board I think Poch is the best option, honestly.
It would only be sensible if Ten Hag was a success. Otherwise what then? We can't keep changing the structure for each manager.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
Its not that I do not like anything, in fact I do like the way he plays football.

He gets his team playing really well, good football, beating the press and creating chances.

I am more vary about how he can implement his playing style at United, Ole tried the press with no joy. Yes, Ten Hag is a better coach, he will get it to work but Pep, Klopp, Poch, Hassnhutl who like to play that style struggled in their first year in the PL as the football is different, teams have good coaches.
I think most of them lacked the players they needed for it at that point, and Poch succeeded quite fast with it both at Southampton and Spurs.

I don't think Ole ever really gave the press a proper go, and he wasnt equipped to anyway. He tried it once during his interim period, our players got injured and never again. Then all of a sudden he tried it again, against Liverpool which backfired. However Liverpool battered us without a press as well not too long ago before that. It is no argument against pressing that Ole couldnt achieve us. Just as he couldnt achieve us to be a team that creates a decent amount of chances any match, or be a team that is fit etc. It is no argument against fitness.

Your reservations seem fair nonetheless.

dove

Looks like you are in the opinion that a new coach will come and make us press like a magician. Right... How deluded some fans are.
In order for the pressing to be efficient, it needs to be coached well so that everyone knows exactly when/how are they supposed to do it. With Ole in charge it has always been a disjointed mess. "Ole tried the press with no joy" doesn't mean a better manager can't achieve better results.

minoo-utd

I wish we get Hag but if Poch can join now, we can't refuse that as IMO this season still salvageable and we still can play for something and it is not like dead and dusted, with MC or any other interim manager I feel like we will be far worst than this I fear.

BlueHaze

Sound like you a the social media kids know more about football than you :) . If you don’t know who Ragnick then you must be new to football which is more understandable.
And when exactly did I say I don't know who he is? Perhaps read the post you decide to reply to next time. Looking through his managerial history I was in awe. Absolute top coach that.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
It would only be sensible if Ten Hag was a success. Otherwise what then? We can't keep changing the structure for each manager.
The structure we have now, fits Ten Hag better than Poch? And I would like to think that long-term the Ajax way of doing things will be far more succesful than whatever we have been doing.

Gordon S

Not sold on Poch. Don`t think he is the guy to take us back to the top long term.
But he is for sure a competent manager and good enough to give us some hope for the near future.
Hope we can sort it out really soon cause Carrick does not look comfortable in that role

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
I'm sure alex crook knows feck all. He says a lot of stupid things on talksport if I remember correctly.
He just lets his mouth go. Doesn't even put a slither of thought into what he's saying on there, proper shit at his job.

Schnappo

What is with this club's insistence and always blowing their load so early?

Sign an interim like your statement said you would, bring Ten Hag who is next in the line of progressive coaches. Instead we are looking to sign yet another pragmatic manager in Poch. (even though I'm more of a fan of him than most on here, it seems)

That is just never going to be enough in this league anymore. We need a coach who can improve players and get them playing in a system which will allow us to go head to head with these teams.
Whilst I somewhat agree, we've heard for a while that some of the board admire Poch. It sounds like he is their number one choice and I think even if we were to wait until the end of the season, if it were out of ten Hag or Poch, then I believe the board would still go with Poch. So if they can get the man they really want now, then get him now.

I'm not hugely keen on Poch myself, but the board clearly want him, Poch seemingly wants us, so it makes sense to do it ASAP.

Fts 74

Let's get it done quickly.

Poch is 10 times the manager ole is and although he's not my 1st choice, it'll be good to see us coached properly plus he really wants the job.

InspiRED

Supports
Outraged snowflakes
The structure has already been changed, if anything with Pochettino we will have to change it again and push Murtough/Fletcher aside.
Yeah but I mean a structure without Fletcher/Murtough. I think safest way to make Ten Hag a success would be have people who are all on the same page in terms of football. It's also a case of the same page in terms of academy etc. I don't know enough of the ins and outs granted, but I think there are differences that would make appointing him a risk. Obviously all managers are a risk. Poch is a risk, but there is evidence he'll be a good fit. I won't lie, some of my preference is gut instinct, but that is not always a bad indicator.

Dravy

ETH and a radical restructure of the backroom would have us best placed to dominate when Pep, Klopp step aside. I do think we will look back at this as a potentially pivotal moment and a huge missed opportunity.
Totally agree with this.
You could also achieve it with a restructure supporting Poch. I think the problem is it won't happen, so the merry go round of finding the new Ferguson (who doesn't exist) will continue until we're spent as a club and new owners arrive.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Well United find gems too, Mejbri/Hansen/Diallo/Fernandez are some gems and in recent years the likes of Rashford/Elanga/Greenwood/Laird/Shoretire have come through the academy. Ole was a bit of a coward in the sense that he didnt dare to give anyone an opportunity and holds to the likes of Lingard, Jones, Mata, Dalot etc who clearly don't have a future here.

On top of that, the United manager is basically the most chequebook manager out there who can go and spray money every transfer period, so there is far less neccessity for that than at Ajax. If he comes, he has Ronaldo, Rashford, Sancho, Greenwood, Bruno, Pogba, van de Beek, Varane in his disposal. Hopefully AWB, Shaw, Maguire, DDG could get back to decent form but if not, he would only need a few more pieces. We have lovely talents coming from the academy, it would however be the first time in a long time that our players would receive good detailed coaching with an idea behind it. Some might find that uncomfortable but most would benefit. Lack of quality wouldnt be the problem.

With these managers, the results may stay out for some months but you see their hand in the team very very soon. It isn't like Ole where in his 4th season it is, "Only now have we got a good squad, let's see what he makes of it."
What's the betting most of those gems of ours don't get near the first team, every year we have supposed gems. Maybe whoever the new manager is will change that. I hope so. You say about us using the cheque book which is correct. It is interesting to see what happens when a manager goes from not being in that position and having to use their academy system to the world being their oyster.

Mainoldo

Looks like you are in the opinion that a new coach will come and make us press like a magician. Right... How deluded some fans are.
Clearly you just watch the United way. Managers implement change straight away.

Womp

idiot
Whilst I somewhat agree, we've heard for a while that some of the board admire Poch. It sounds like he is their number one choice and I think even if we were to wait until the end of the season, if it were out of ten Hag or Poch, then I believe the board would still go with Poch. So if they can get the man they really want now, then get him now.

I'm not hugely keen on Poch myself, but the board clearly want him, Poch seemingly wants us, so it makes sense to do it ASAP.
I agree, I'm quite convinced it will be Poch. I'm just arguing why I don't think it's the right choice. It's hardly as if we can put some faith in this club's decisions. They've gotten every managerial choice since SAF incorrect.

Withnail

Do you propose telling PSG we're taking Poch and goodbye?

You realize they told Real Madrid to eat a bag of dicks to rather keep Mbappe for another season for 200 million euro? They could care less about the 10 mill we want to pay for Poch.
It's mind boggling sometimes that some don't understand that poaching another team's manager might be a delicate operation.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I can’t pretend to know nearly enough about Ten Hag to say I want him to get the job. I like Poch, I have some reservations about him, but I think making him out to be this outdated pragmatic manager is revisionism by those who want Ten Hag and nobody else will do. Poch is good at working to a budget, has a clear style of play and improves young players. He might not be a proven winner but he’s probably the best suited to the United job out of anyone available and I’m sure if he stuck to his principles here he’d win trophies.

Member 101269

The problem he has is that he didn't sign those players. Leonardo did. Mbappe doesn't want to be there, Messi doesn't really want to be there. Neymar is a pain in the arse. Icardi and wife are a pain in the arse. Leonardo is an even bigger pain in the arse. I don't blame him for wanting away from there. Will be great watching the match up between Leonardo and Zidane, who if the French job becomes available will jump ship as well.
What you describe was known phenomena. Ascribing the known phenomena as rationale sounds like regret, poor decision making or lake of management skills. The very things we don't need at United right now.

justboy68

So you genuinely think most of the Caf missed the emergence of Erik Ten Hag in the season where Ajax reached the semi-finals of the CL which was last done in 2005, beating the likes of Real Madrid and Juventus?
Roma got to the semi final the year before beating Barcelona. Don't expect most remember much about the manager? It's not all that uncommon for the odd unexpected team to reach a CL semi. It's not earth shattering news that lights up the entire football world. So yes most hadn't thought about him that much hence the fact he had only 4 pages of discussion until recently. Of course having now looked more closely there's a lot to like but without doubt many of us are not experts on him.

romufc

I think most of them lacked the players they needed for it at that point, and Poch succeeded quite fast with it both at Southampton and Spurs.

I don't think Ole ever really gave the press a proper go, and he wasnt equipped to anyway. He tried it once during his interim period, our players got injured and never again. Then all of a sudden he tried it again, against Liverpool which backfired. However Liverpool battered us without a press as well not too long ago before that. It is no argument against pressing that Ole couldnt achieve us. Just as he couldnt achieve us to be a team that creates a decent amount of chances any match, or be a team that is fit etc. It is no argument against fitness.

Your reservations seem fair nonetheless.
Its because a good pressing team takes alot out of you. Pep and Klopp both are very good at this but if you watch Liverpool and City now, they are not gung ho pressers, its all relative. They know in a game when to press, when to drop and soak.

They have game intelligence to understand when to do it and this takes time to implement. I do not trust AWB, MAguire in a high line.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
The structure we have now, fits Ten Hag better than Poch? And I would like to think that long-term the Ajax way of doing things will be far more succesful than whatever we have been doing.
I can't help but feel Flether / Murtough / Woodward are a big step down football-wise than VDS and Overmars. That trio seem very much all on the same page to me.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Some of the posters moaning about Poch and demanding Ten Hag didn't even know who the latter was until a few weeks ago.

God bless the Caf.
I'd be confident betting that at least 90% have barely watched an Ajax game since they lost to Spurs in 18/19 but are now convinced he's the one.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Agreed. Our structure is geared up to suit a head coach. I might go into more detail later and have also been digging into how Ajax operates behind the scenes.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Yeah but I mean a structure without Fletcher/Murtough. I think safest way to make Ten Hag a success would be have people who are all on the same page in terms of football. It's also a case of the same page in terms of academy etc. I don't know enough of the ins and outs granted, but I think there are differences that would make appointing him a risk. Obviously all managers are a risk. Poch is a risk, but there is evidence he'll be a good fit. I won't lie, some of my preference is gut instinct, but that is not always a bad indicator.
Why would you mean without Fletcher/Murtough, it's a key point when you compare ten Hag and Pochettino? Pochettino seemingly wants close to total power while ten Hag wants to be surrounded by other technicians and it's not as if ten Hag has only worked for Ajax, he adapted to Ajax and said it himself, when he was at Utrecht he had to do things differently.

The way I see it, there is a case to give Pochettino what he wants after a season or two of success/growth, he wants power but he has to earn it. And there is a case to continue our transformation toward the DOF model and go with a pure head coach like ten Hag. They are both risks ten Hag is a short term risk because he may fail at United's level while Pochettino is a long term risk because Tottenham could be his ceiling.

romufc

Clearly you just watch the United way. Managers implement change straight away.
yeah? Pep implemented it straight away and won the league in the first year? Klopp as well only took 3 years.

Just because Chelsea do it, means every manager does it right?

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
What's the betting most of those gems of ours don't get near the first team, every year we have supposed gems. Maybe whoever the new manager is will change that. I hope so. You say about us using the cheque book which is correct. It is interesting to see what happens when a manager goes from not being in that position and having to use their academy system to the world being their oyster.
It is very rare that all gems make it, watching quite some academy football, if the likes of Amad, Laird and to a little less extent Hansen/Mejbri don't even get a sniff, that is really on the club.

Roma got to the semi final the year before beating Barcelona. Don't expect most remember much about the manager? It's not all that uncommon for the odd unexpected team to reach a CL semi. It's not earth shattering news that lights up the entire football world. So yes most hadn't thought about him that much hence the fact he had only 4 pages of discussion until recently. Of course having now looked more closely there's a lot to like but without doubt many of us are not experts on him.
Paulo Fronseca, but that side was nowhere near as impressive as the Ajax sides which saw Onana, Ziyech, Frenkie, de Ligt, Donny van de Beek wanted by the top clubs in football.

Ajax also has this whole "Total Football" - thing going on, which is what they played and hadnt since the past century. It is 100% more impressive when a club from a smaller league achieves it, similarly to the Monaco side in 17/18?

Laurencio

It would be devastating for us to be without a manager for an entire season - it would very likely knock us out of top four and set us back several years. No CL next season means a reduced transfer budget, players aging with no ability to challenge for the top young prospects because they want champions league football and a chance to win trophies. If we're out of the Champions League and Ten Hag is offered both this job and the Barca job, which do you think he'd go for? If we wait too long we might just miss out on him either way. If Pochettino wants to come in now, it's his job - unless Ten Hag also wants to come in now, at which point Ten Hag is probably the more exciting option.

Right now it's about who wants it more tbh.

MUFC OK

Well United find gems too, Mejbri/Hansen/Diallo/Fernandez are some gems and in recent years the likes of Rashford/Elanga/Greenwood/Laird/Shoretire have come through the academy. Ole was a bit of a coward in the sense that he didnt dare to give anyone an opportunity and holds to the likes of Lingard, Jones, Mata, Dalot etc who clearly don't have a future here.

On top of that, the United manager is basically the most chequebook manager out there who can go and spray money every transfer period, so there is far less neccessity for that than at Ajax. If he comes, he has Ronaldo, Rashford, Sancho, Greenwood, Bruno, Pogba, van de Beek, Varane in his disposal. Hopefully AWB, Shaw, Maguire, DDG could get back to decent form but if not, he would only need a few more pieces. We have lovely talents coming from the academy, it would however be the first time in a long time that our players would receive good detailed coaching with an idea behind it. Some might find that uncomfortable but most would benefit. Lack of quality wouldnt be the problem.

With these managers, the results may stay out for some months but you see their hand in the team very very soon. It isn't like Ole where in his 4th season it is, "Only now have we got a good squad, let's see what he makes of it."
With the likes of the highlighted already at the club, there's no reason why we shouldnt be set up for sustained success. I'm taking solace in the fact that Poch has always improved players and given opportunities to young players.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
I can't help but feel Flether / Murtough / Woodward are a big step down football-wise than VDS and Overmars. That trio seem very much all on the same page to me.
Agreed, although I have liked some of Murthough's work. But Ajax and United in terms of football culture is a completely different world. We had our fans not too long ago say that ''patterns of play'' is for hipsters, whereas at Ajax the style of play is God.

Status
Not open for further replies.