Next permanent manager | Poll updated

Who should be the next permanent manager?

• Luis Enrique

Votes: 113 7.4%
  • Erik ten Hag

Votes: 1,300 84.7%
  • Julen Lopetegui

Votes: 10 0.7%
  • Mauricio Pochettino

Votes: 79 5.1%
  • None of the above

Votes: 32 2.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

MUFC OK

Yet I'm unsure what big trophies Ten Hag has won?
To be honest I was more juxtaposing that against the merits of hiring a Conte, Flick or a Zidane (all unavailable for different reasons).

With ETH, he's done as well as he can with Ajax, surely? A team with their lack of resources should not be able to compete as they have done in Europe. It's arguable that Spurs should have won the League in 2016 and bottled it, 2019 champions league final they were never in the game.

RickG19

So to be clear, if we are definitely appointing an interim manager that means there's no chance of getting Poch til the end of the season?

TheReligion

Abusive
Maybe another international rising proven star you've missed.

Heck we even signed Donny van de Beek based on his performances under Ten Hag, and you think most of our fans had no clue about Ten Hag?
Sorry where did I say I'd missed him? Or missed anyone else?

You're rambling

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Maybe another international rising proven star you've missed.

Heck we even signed Donny van de Beek based on his performances under Ten Hag, and you think most of our fans had no clue about Ten Hag?
Everyone who says they watch any football that is not the PL or United are lying hipsters according to some people

Cassidy

I'll be extremely disappointed if it is anyone else other than Ten Hag. If it's the Cappuccino guy who was at Tottenham I might Kill myself.
Sorry for your families loss

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
Granted Tuanzebe isn't getting a huge number of minutes but I'd consider that a test for him. If he can't get into the Villa side at 24, he's unlikely to make it at OT. However, looking at his stats Pellestri has 5 starts and 7 sub appearances in 13 league games so far this season and Alaves were very keen to have him back so I don't see the issue there.
They have their own assets/players in Mings, Konsa, and Hause who are all of decent level. Why would they prefer to develop a loanee. Maguire/Lindelof have even been worse this season than all of them, it is not such a shame he isnt getting in ahead of them.

That are very poor numbers for a relegation side, he is between bench/starting eleven for a pub side where he plays completely different football as to what he would at United, something he already did last season and did decently at. What was exactly expected, to go and do the same? What glory is there to attain for a young electric winger at the same side battling relegation?

Xaviboy

Lads taking this with a pinch of salt and not sure if I believe this myself.
Have a family member who does bit of scouting for a football agency group in the UK and he was told utd are looking at Frank Rijkaard. Didn't say as interim or full time manager but thought I'd share. Utd keeping it hush hush.

Don't believe it myself now but thought I'd share.

troylocker

It wasn't a one horse race and he got more points than his predecessor. That point is really not fair on Pochettino.
It is fair though and Ligue 1 is a one horse race wether you like it or not.
He drew against St. Etienne (total value of squad: 90M) and Rennes (total value: 182M) and lost against Lorient (total value: 52M), Monaco (total value: 331M), Nantes (total value: 83M) and Lille (total value: 242M).
He took over 1 point behind the the league leaders and couldn't catch them in 22 games with a squad worth 891M (#2 in the world)

None of the teams 19 other teams in Ligue 1 would get top 10 in the PL. The least valuable squad in the PL is worth 130M, Ligue 1 has 13 squads worth 90M or less and none of the other 6 squads are worth more than Wolves (ranked #10 in PL)

You have to win the the french league with that squad, that is the absolute minimum....even when you have only 22 games to get 1 whole point more than your rivals :p
Maybe it is too much to ask of a "world class" manager, but I disagree....

I think we can agree on the fact that he has not gotten the most out of that PSG-squad and there is nothing that suggests he would suddely start winning trophies if he comes here.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
Everyone who says they watch any football that is not the PL or United are lying hipsters according to some people
These posters are so tiresome to argue against, it baffles my mind that they treat Ten Hag as to be some completely newbie. There are few managers with the history/background info available like Mourinho, van Gaal, Guardiola sure. But to suggest the majority of United fans didn't know of Ten Hag until weeks ago, is just incredibly silly.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
He drew against St. Etienne (total value of squad: 90M) and Rennes (total value: 182M) and lost against Lorient (total value: 52M), Monaco (total value: 331M), Nantes (total value: 83M) and Lille (total value: 242M).
He took over 1 point behind the the league leaders and couldn't catch them in 22 games with a squad worth 891M (#2 in the world)

None of the teams 19 other teams in Ligue 1 would get top 10 in the PL. The least valuable squad in the PL is worth 130M, Ligue 1 has 13 squads worth 90M or less and none of the other 6 squads are worth more than Wolves (ranked #10 in PL)

You have to win the the french league with that squad, that is the absolute minimum....even when you have only 22 games to get 1 whole point more than your rivals :p

I think we can agree on the fact that he has not gotten the most out of that PSG-squad and there is nothing that suggests he would suddely start winning trophies if he comes here.
:lol:

Laurencio

It is but it shouldn't be, though. Yes the manager has to be willing to take the job but we should know who our ideal candidate is and sell our project to him. Look at what City did to get Pep in place - a serious amount of leg work was put in to ensure he had everything in place and they've reaped the rewards since. I don't think Klopp saw Liverpool as his dream either, but liked the project they sold to him and the idea of restoring them to former glories.

There's not necessarily a candidate of that calibre currently available, but the likes of Flick and Nagelsmann have moved in the past year. The fact we never plan ahead means we will always miss out on elite candidates.
Absolutely correct. However we did mess it up as usual, and now we are in the situation we are in. Clearly we need to continue the restructuring and move the power of the football side to the actual football people. But while we do that we should hire competent managers to keep us in the fight.

We're so incompetently run that we didn't even know Pochettino would jump at the chance to join us if we sacked Ole, so we sent out a press release a out about Carrick being an interim for an hither to unknown interim who would be the interim for a yet to be determined manager.

It's comical.

I agree completely with you though. It shouldn't be like this.

Cassidy

These posters are so tiresome to argue against, it baffles my mind that they treat Ten Hag as to be some completely newbie. There are few managers with the history/background info available like Mourinho, van Gaal, Guardiola sure. But to suggest the majority of United fans didn't know of Ten Hag until weeks ago, is just incredibly silly.
Honestly there isn’t any point responding to them

Withnail

They have their own assets/players in Mings, Konsa, and Hause who are all of decent level. Why would they prefer to develop a loanee. Maguire/Lindelof have even been worse this season than all of them, it is not such a shame he isnt getting in ahead of them.

That are very poor numbers for a relegation side, he is between bench/starting eleven for a pub side where he plays completely different football as to what he would at United, something he already did last season and did decently at. What was exactly expected, to go and do the same? What glory is there to attain for a young electric winger at the same side battling relegation?
To be honest from what I've seen of Tuanzebe I'm not sure he'd make it but yeah you're probably right, more playing time at a lower level, even, would have probably been better for him. Although he had been at Villa before so if they wanted him and he wanted to go I can see why the decision was made.

Young wingers on loan aren't generally going to get much glory so I think that's a bit of an odd complaint. I think at his age if he's getting minutes in a top league, it can only be a good thing.

Hoof the ball

You look at how Chelsea develop their mass of kids. Yes some seem to be on loan until they retire, but look what good loans did for Mason Mount and Reece James. Maybe the club need a change of attitude with their kids, you haven't made it yet, you have to show us that you're good enough, that you want to be the best.
Look at the variation of the loan deals for Chelsea and City. By comparison, Liverpool and ourselves aren't keen on utilising feeder clubs in Europe, or finding European clubs who match our own in terms of play style.

United:

Andreas Pereira - Flamengo
Facundo Pellistri - Alaves
James Garner - Nottingham Forest
Axel Tuanzebe - Aston Villa
Brandon Williams - Norwich
Tahith Chong - Birmingham
Nathan Bishop - Mansfield Town
Dylan Levitt - Dundee Utd
Ethan Laird - Swansea
Will Fish - Stockport County
D'Mani Mellor - Salford City
Ethan Galbraith - Doncaster
Di'Shon Bernard - Hull

City:

Philippe Sandler - Troyes
Patrick Roberts - Troyes
Arijanet Muric - Adana Demirspor
Tommy Doyle - Hamburg
Taylor Harwood-Bells - Anderlecht
Claudio Gomes - Barnsley
Ben Knight - Crewe
Yangel Herrera - Espanyol
Marlos Moreno - Kortrijk
Yan Couto - Braga
Pablo Moreno - Girona
Gavin Bazunu - Portsmouth
Yeboah Amankwah - Accrington Stanley
Matt Smith - Hull
Lewis Fiorini - Lincoln
Morgan Rogers - Bournemouth
James Trafford - Accrington Stanley
Callum Doyle - Sunderland
Alex Robertson - Ross County
Kluiverth Aguilar - Lommel
Nahuel Ferraresi - Estoril
Ko Itakura - Schalke
Issa Kabore - Troyes
Erik Palmer-Brown - Troyes
Pedro Porro - Sporting CP
Mohammed Aminu - Lommel
Daniel Arzani - Lommel
Luka Ilic - Twente
Ante Palaversa
Diego Rosa
- Lommel
Thomas Agyepong - Lommel
Nahuel Bustos - Girona
Ryotaro Meshino - Estoril
Dario Sarmiento - Girona
Filip Stevanovic - Heerenveen
Slobodan Tedic - Zwolle

Chelsea:

Ethan Ampadu - Venezia
Faustino Anjorin - Lokomotiv Moscow
Abdul Baba Rahman - Reading
Tiemoue Bakayoko - Milan
Thierno Ballo - Rapid Vienna
Michy Batshuayi - Besiktas
Nathan Baxter - Hull
Armando Broja - Southampton
Jake Clarke-Salter - Coventry
Levi Colwill - Huddersfield
Jamie Cumming - Gillingham
Danny Drinkwater - Reading
Juan Familia-Castillo - Birmingham
Conor Gallagher - Crystal Palace
Billy Gilmour - Norwich
Kenedy - Flamengo
Henry Lawrence - AFC Wimbledon
Ian Maatsen - Coventry
Matt Miazga - Alaves
Emerson Palmeiri - Lyon
Dujon Sterling - Blackpool
Karlo Ziger - Rudar Velenje

Liverpool:

Ben Davies - Sheffield United
Rhys Williams - Swansea
Sheyi Ojo - Millwall
Ben Woodburn - Hearts
Sapp van den Berg - Preston
Paul Glatzel - Tranmere
Luis Longstaff - Queen's Park
Viteslav Jaros - St Patrick's Athletic
Jake Cain - Newport
Leighton Clarkson - Blackburn
Jakub Ojrzynski - Caernafon Town
Anderson Arroyo - Mirandes
Adam Lewis - Livingston

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout

Do you watch the league?

Cassidy

Come on stop talking nonsense, you have other teams in Ligue 1 who have reached UCL finals, semis and quarters. You are being incredibly ridiculous. Squad value does not = squad quality especially with the PL tax included.

HailtotheKing

I dont think thats imperative at United, perhaps to identify players capable of fitting a system but we have far greater resources. The question mark with poch is whether he is capable of winning big trophies.

The view on rival fins forums is that they arent too concerned about his appointment, for what that's worth.
My only question about Poch is how he sets us up for big games. I want a manager who sets us to go toe to toe with City and Liverpoool. I don’t want another scared pragmatic manager. I don’t know if Poch is like that but I hear some raising concerns. I remember him going for it in games and playing awesome football. I don’t fear him losing big matches. He obviously won a fair fee to get them to the champions league, including vs City. And an early pen changed everything. Plus he had Spurs. Don’t get how people talk about bottling something when they have no right to be there in the first place. Same with Rogers at Liverpool or Leicester. When a manager takes a team to the brink when they shouldnt even be there, then losing isn’t a “bottle job” it’s just natural order being restored after a minor miracle. Most managers manage teams that won’t ever be in the running for trophies. Plus if Poch bottled it then surely Ten Hag did the same when they were leading 3-0 on aggregate?

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
Have a family member who does bit of scouting for a football agency group in the UK and he was told utd are looking at Frank Rijkaard. Didn't say as interim or full time manager but thought I'd share. Utd keeping it hush hush.

Was your family member's source from the Jamaican delegation?

Frank Grimes

My only question about Poch is how he sets us up for big games. I want a manager who sets us to go toe to toe with City and Liverpoool. I don’t want another scared pragmatic manager. I don’t know if Poch is like that but I hear some raising concerns. I remember him going for it in games and playing awesome football. I don’t fear him losing big matches. He obviously won a fair fee to get them to the champions league, including vs City. And an early pen changed everything. Plus he had Spurs. Don’t get how people talk about bottling something when they have no right to be there in the first place. Same with Rogers at Liverpool or Leicester. When a manager takes a team to the brink when they shouldnt even be there, then losing isn’t a “bottle job” it’s just natural order being restored after a minor miracle. Most managers manage teams that won’t ever be in the running for trophies. Plus if Poch bottled it then surely Ten Hag did the same when they were leading 3-0 on aggregate?
I seem to remember Poch's Spurs outplaying City a few times.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Come on stop talking nonsense, you have other teams in Ligue 1 who have reached UCL finals, semis and quarters. You are being incredibly ridiculous. Squad value does not = squad quality especially with the PL tax included.
A terrible Lyon team beat City and people think that any PL teams is going to just beat every Ligue 1 teams outside of PSG. I have been critical of Pochettino but in terms of result he did a good job during the second part of the season, he put PSG in a position to win and Lille trained by a good coach maintained a high pace.

Cassidy

I seem to remember Poch's Spurs outplaying City a few times.
Took him a long time before he started having a go against the top sides. He eventually got there though, but he was far too pragmatic for a long time.

HailtotheKing

Took him a long time before he started having a go against the top sides. He eventually got there though, but he was far too pragmatic for a long time.
Well if he’s learned, what does it matter? So long as we’re getting the new improved version.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
Poch signs - immediate bounce back. Top-4. FA Cup win. UCL QF.

Everyone laughs at the ETH proponents.

Next season. Top-4. UCL QF. No cup.

Everyone still laughs

Next season. Top-4 just.

ETH proponents come back from the shadows as he lifts his second successive UCL/PL double with City.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United

I'm hearing we're close to Woy Hodgson. Don't share it with anybody though.

Delano

Poch looks nailed on doesn't he? Really wanted us to take a risk on Ten Hag, but when you consider him versus our other options... It could be a lot worse!

TheReligion

Abusive
Almost as silly as trying to equate it to not knowing who Haaland is I'd imagine.

Toshey

Supports
Levski Sofia
I think I understand it.
Some of you lot have become such great fanboys of Ten Hag, that you're just willing to shit on Pochettino with absurd arguments to prove your point.

First of all - Ajax is one of the great european football clubs. End of story. They are supposed to be good in Europe. As for the Netherlands - it's a two horce race if any, isn't it?
Basically the only credentials Ten Hag has are playing good football and nice performances in Europe.

Pochettino has overachieved with both Southampton and Spurs. Which is A LOT more difficult. Don't know why some of you are suddenly acting like Spurs are big club. Anything above 8th place is overachieving and getting to CL final is simply mental.

When he went to PSG, they were trailing. He put them in good position to win the league, Lyon just maintained their form. He got the cup and the supercup and if by any means we don't get him RIGHT NOW, he is going to be champion of France. Would this change his credentials for you?

You can't call Poch a bottler with loser mentality ffs. He is the reason a midtable english team got considered top 4 material or even title contender.

And also the guy DREAMS of managing Manchester United.

Make it happen already.

Withnail

I think I understand it.
Some of you lot have become such great fanboys of Ten Hag, that you're just willing to shit on Pochettino with absurd arguments to prove your point.

First of all - Ajax is one of the great european football clubs. End of story. They are supposed to be good in Europe. As for the Netherlands - it's a two horce race if any, isn't it?
Basically the only credentials Ten Hag has are playing good football and nice performances in Europe.

Pochettino has overachieved with both Southampton and Spurs. Which is A LOT more difficult. Don't know why some of you are suddenly acting like Spurs are big club. Anything above 8th place is overachieving and getting to CL final is simply mental.

When he went to PSG, they were trailing. He put them in good position to win the league, Lyon just maintained their form. He got the cup and the supercup and if by any means we don't get him RIGHT NOW, he is going to be champion of France. Would this change his credentials for you?

You can't call Poch a bottler with loser mentality ffs. He is the reason a midtable english team got considered top 4 material or even title contender.

And also the guy DREAMS of managing Manchester United.

Make it happen already.
Well yeah I was quite harsh on Pochetinno on occasion in the past but if you look at Spurs league finishes before and after him, there's a massive difference.

I know the wheels had come off a bit and he contributed to Mourinho's total but over all it's clear he had the team over-achieving.

It'll be interesting to see how Conte does there as a comparison.

Status
Not open for further replies.