Next permanent manager | Poll updated

Who should be the next permanent manager?

• Luis Enrique

Votes: 113 7.4%
  • Erik ten Hag

Votes: 1,300 84.7%
  • Julen Lopetegui

Votes: 10 0.7%
  • Mauricio Pochettino

Votes: 79 5.1%
  • None of the above

Votes: 32 2.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pronewbie

Peep
Poch signs - immediate bounce back. Top-4. FA Cup win. UCL QF.

Everyone laughs at the ETH proponents.

Next season. Top-4. UCL QF. No cup.

Everyone still laughs

Next season. Top-4 just.

ETH proponents come back from the shadows as he lifts his second successive UCL/PL double with City.
We don't have the setup for ETH to succeed. City do. If we don't qualify for next season's CL, why would ETH come?

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Poch fits the bill. Young, done a good job everywhere he’s been, attractive football, bringing through young players, proven in England.

The only major issue is the lack of honours. If we were to get him in the Summer he’d at least have won the French league. I know this does nothing to enhance his actual credentials but the psychology of it seems to matter, and as great as his Spurs team were they were very much nearly-men.

Frank Grimes

Took him a long time before he started having a go against the top sides. He eventually got there though, but he was far too pragmatic for a long time.
He improved, that's a positive. 86 points in his 3rd season and only a 30 game winning season from Conte's Chelsea denied him a title. Who knows what he could have done with a few more signings but Spurs new stadium scuppered that.

croadyman

We don't have the setup for ETH to succeed. City do. If we don't qualify for next season's CL, why would ETH come?
Those first nine words sum it up perfectly and cheers for making it clear to the confessed Ten Hag fanboys like me

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Well yeah I was quite harsh on Pochetinno on occasion in the past but if you look at Spurs league finishes before and after him, there's a massive difference.

I know the wheels had come off a bit and he contributed to Mourinho's total but over all it's clear he had the team over-achieving.

It'll be interesting to see how Conte does there as a comparison.
You are effectively judging two different teams. Mourinho didn't get the "over-achieving" version, he got the version without Trippier, Wanyama, Dembélé, Eriksen, prime Alderweireld, prime Lloris and prime Vertonghen. As someone suggested earlier, the paradox of Pochettino's tenure at Tottenham is that he didn't leave much behind mainly because their transfer dealings have been underwhelming which didn't allow continuity at a high level.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Just a lack of vision from those in control. They were both such pointless loans and most could argue that in advance. But time again, the club needs to actually go and do it before it becomes clear.

Handing Ole the permanent contract, extending his contract, giving Jones a contract, giving a contract to Mata, handing contracts to Ole's staff, Pellistri loan, Tuanzebe loan, making a mess out of the goalkeeping situation, Conte, not using the international break to change manager and look for a new one. It is just tiresome.
Couldn't agree more.

Longshanks

My only question about Poch is how he sets us up for big games. I want a manager who sets us to go toe to toe with City and Liverpoool. I don’t want another scared pragmatic manager. I don’t know if Poch is like that but I hear some raising concerns. I remember him going for it in games and playing awesome football. I don’t fear him losing big matches. He obviously won a fair fee to get them to the champions league, including vs City. And an early pen changed everything. Plus he had Spurs. Don’t get how people talk about bottling something when they have no right to be there in the first place. Same with Rogers at Liverpool or Leicester. When a manager takes a team to the brink when they shouldnt even be there, then losing isn’t a “bottle job” it’s just natural order being restored after a minor miracle. Most managers manage teams that won’t ever be in the running for trophies. Plus if Poch bottled it then surely Ten Hag did the same when they were leading 3-0 on aggregate?
Not many teams go toe to toe with Liverpool and live to tell the tale, even peps City are normally quite reserved against them especially early on. Many teams have been swatted aside inside 20 minutes (including us and city) taking on Klopps Liverpool in a fool Hardy manner.

A good manager knows how and when to employ more pragmatic tactics from time to time. You can't always be gung ho all the time you have to willing to sit in a low block in certain periods when your playing certain sides. Otherwise you get turned over.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
He improved, that's a positive. 86 points in his 3rd season and only a 30 game winning season from Conte's Chelsea denied him a title. Who knows what he could have done with a few more signings but Spurs new stadium scuppered that.
I agree.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
Looks like you are in the opinion that a new coach will come and make us press like a magician. Right... How deluded some fans are.
No idea where you got that from. It will take 18 months, a top class coach and a good few personnel changes before we start to resemble a good pressing side. And we can expect to lose a fair few games in the meantime and probably miss top four in the process this season and maybe (hopefuly not) next.

My point was that it would take infinity years under Ole because he possesses the coaching skills of a physical education educator at a secondary school. So the idea that he tried the press and got no joy is pretty funny. Perhaps you're not aware what the forum computer system does when you write that description down in its more familiar form? It automatically substitutes the words " PE Teacher "

glazed

No one argued that but to suggest the majority of the Caf has fancied Ten Hag for years is fiction.
I'd never heard of him before the Liverpool game. But I knew Ajax were a mini version of what every fan wants their club to be. But that's clearly down to the the whole club structure and culture which he can't really bring with him.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
To be honest from what I've seen of Tuanzebe I'm not sure he'd make it but yeah you're probably right, more playing time at a lower level, even, would have probably been better for him. Although he had been at Villa before so if they wanted him and he wanted to go I can see why the decision was made.

Young wingers on loan aren't generally going to get much glory so I think that's a bit of an odd complaint. I think at his age if he's getting minutes in a top league, it can only be a good thing.
I am unsure about Tuanzebe too, but it was a weird loan.

You send a young electric winger to an attacking side in a lower league where he can express himself. This will not be good for his confidence, tracking back all season with barely any offensive output.

Almost as silly as trying to equate it to not knowing who Haaland is I'd imagine.
All silly isnt it, it is laughable and baseless considering the Ten Hag threads that were already there and how often he's mentioned on this forum.

Consistent with the shaming of those that want change for this team, which has been going on for much longer than today

romufc

No idea where you got that from. It will take 18 months, a top class coach and a good few personnel changes before we start to resemble a good pressing side. And we can expect to lose a fair few games in the meantime and probably miss top four in the process this season and maybe (hopefuly not) next.

My point was that it would take infinity years under Ole because he possesses the coaching skills of a physical education educator at a secondary school. So the idea that he tried the press and got no joy is pretty funny. Perhaps you're not aware what the forum computer system does when you write that description down in its more familiar form? It automatically substitutes the words " Ole Ole Ole I love you "
Exactly, it will take 18 months. Its not going to be instant team press.

Lets see how a new man goes, Poch or Ten Hag both have pedigree,.

Anyway, it shows how much football knowledge you have when you describe a manager as a PE teacher, so this will be my last conversation with you.

I would rather discuss with someone who is respectful and knows football.

Cnaiür urs Skiötha

I tried to see what is going on in the PSG forum. My French is awful or rather nearly non-existent but I think they would not be against taking the 10 Mio and see Poch stay in Manchester.

Kaos

The frustrating thing is all of this could have been wrapped up during the international break, and we'd have Poch leading us out tonight.

But instead our board decided Watford....feckin Watford was going to be the ultimate test of Ole's capabilities.

glazed

Those first nine words sum it up perfectly and cheers for making it clear to the confessed Ten Hag fanboys like me
The bigger question is do we have the setup for Poch to succeed either? Sure he will do better than Ole but to win stuff? Despite the Glazers?
I think maybe so, but it will take time to move on the players who won't fit a high press. DdG and Ronaldo in particular.

TheReligion

Abusive
I am unsure about Tuanzebe too, but it was a weird loan.

You send a young electric winger to an attacking side in a lower league where he can express himself. This will not be good for his confidence, tracking back all season with barely any offensive output.

All silly isnt it, it is laughable and baseless considering the Ten Hag threads that were already there and how often he's mentioned on this forum.

Consistent with the shaming of those that want change for this team, which has been going on for much longer than today
Ok

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
I tried to see what is going on in the PSG forum. My French is awful or rather nearly non-existent but I think they would not be against taking the 10 Mio and see Poch stay in Manchester.
The PSG fans on Reddit don't seem keen on him, and that's putting it lightly.

Devil may care

I thought the reason we didn't want Conte was his crap style of football, now we are about to appoint another pragmatic bore only we are going to pay £10M to do it and unlike Conte he's not even won anything of note.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
On Zidane or Poch?

If Zidane, is that because of his Marseilles connections?
Poch, they seem really interested in Zidane, at least the ones I've come across.

glazed

Anyway, it shows how much football knowledge you have when you describe a manager as a Ole Ole Ole I love you, so this will be my last conversation with you.
It's quite obvious the team were badly coached under him and he had no idea how to implement a high press, as the attempts to do so were beyond laughable. If that offends you then so does the truth.

Status
Not open for further replies.