Next permanent manager | Poll updated

Who should be the next permanent manager?

• Luis Enrique

Votes: 113 7.4%
  • Erik ten Hag

Votes: 1,300 84.7%
  • Julen Lopetegui

Votes: 10 0.7%
  • Mauricio Pochettino

Votes: 79 5.1%
  • None of the above

Votes: 32 2.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Again, not my point. Not 1st vs 19th, but PSG vs the rest. It is the gap in quality between PSG and the closest contenders I’m talking about, the gap between top and bottom is supposed to be big. The fact that Nimes got 35 points in Ligue 1 tells something about Ligue 1 though. How many points would they get in the PL?
The gap in Ligue 1 isn't particularly big, it's not supposed to be big, that's the nature of the league. And anyway you don't watch the league so what do you know about what is supposed to be or not?

And I don't know how much point they would get in the PL, similarly I don't know how much points City would get in Ligue 1. What I know is the dynamic of the league.

roseguy64

Granted Tuanzebe isn't getting a huge number of minutes but I'd consider that a test for him. If he can't get into the Villa side at 24, he's unlikely to make it at OT. However, looking at his stats Pellestri has 5 starts and 7 sub appearances in 13 league games so far this season and Alaves were very keen to have him back so I don't see the issue there.
Exactly. If he can't get ahead of Mings and Konsa then he's not good enough.

Pellistri has gotten game time and has had more starts recently after coming off the bench at the start.

People just complaining to complain.

Suv666

Yeah, there was a PSG fan on Flex's stream this morning and he was saying their fanbase is happy enough for him to go as the football is shite and there's no sense of style or identity and his stubborn refusal to make substitutions is infuriating, also said that there are issues with Leonardo behind the scenes that haven't helped the atmosphere but doesn't explain the garbage being served up on the pitch.
I mean ofcourse they'll say so he's basically telling them to feck off because Utd is his dream job.

JPRouve

Scout
Attacking minded though. There's a bit of a narrative at the moment that Poch is some boring Mourinho esq style coach. Not sure why.
No, balanced. You are making the strange mistake of thinking that balance means boring, it's not and he isnt Mourinho. My point isn't a criticism of Pochettino's style.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Get it done. That’s feck all really, didn’t Leicester pay similar to get Rodgers from Celtic?
Imo, manager is THE most important in club. He is 50% of the squad. So, if we can pay 50 mil pounds for limited full back then what is 10 mil for manager, ffs?

Idxomer

They don't have the same issues at all, Tuchel implemented a style as long as he had the players and he had a significantly more unbalanced team, for a while he lacked DMs and fullbacks, Pochettino has DMs and fullbacks. Tuchel did a far better job than Pochettino, the issue with Tuchel is that his relationship with Leonardo was poor after public conflicts over having more midfielders and a larger bench.
I think it's a bit early judging his team 3 months in his 1st full season after adding a lot of new players.

Their new fullbacks are poor defensively at that stage of their career. I also wouldn't consider Wijnaldum a DM who is the only new addition to their midfield. One of PSG's biggest problems is that their best midfielder is constantly injured.

Teja

The gap in Ligue 1 isn't particularly big, it's not supposed to be big, that's the nature of the league.
Come on man, even Ligue 1 fans admit it's just PSG and then the rest.

The quality difference between the rest doesn't matter. It's like putting Man City in the championship. Sure rest of the teams are extremely evenly matched but who cares?

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
They should hate their club set up given that the likes of Blanc, Emery and Tuchel have all had the same complaints over the years and the latter 2 are genuinely good managers...
PSG is toxic to be in. I mean, manager subs star player and president of fecking club tells manager in public; don't do that again.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
see
Attacking minded though. There's a bit of a narrative at the moment that Poch is some boring Mourinho esq style coach. Not sure why.
He is no Jose but he isn't Klopp either. He is very balanced in that aspect.

Chairman Steve

Could've had him for free besides his wages at any point before last winter if the club was serious about him but they do love to burn money
But remember woop woop Ole the slayer of hipster managers and you should be ashamed that you wanted to replace him this time last year :rolleyes:

JPRouve

Scout
I think it's a bit early judging his team 3 months in his 1st full season after adding a lot of new players.

Their new fullbacks are poor defensively at that stage of their career. I also wouldn't consider Wijnaldum a DM who is the only new addition to their midfield. One of PSG's biggest problems is that their best midfielder is constantly injured.
Early? He has had 22 league games last season and they didn't add a lot of new players. This kind of nonsense may apply to United but it doesn't work in the rest of the world. Just take Galtier at Nice, they play his style and he turned them into the best defense in the league which is exactly what he does everywhere, he joined them this summer.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Today we will know. Journos will ask Poch about us. Lets see will his answer be "No way, i am happy in PSG" or he will avoid to answer

wolvored

I have said it before and will say again, the sooner we break away from past, SAF, class of 92 and look ahead the better it would be for the club. One of the reasons for Man Utd not succeeding is clinging to the past.
Totally agree. We had it with Busby and now Fergie. They should give him a lifetime season ticket and say thanks for the memories, now go and enjoy the rest of your life away from Utd decisions

romufc

Let's hope Rashford starts putting in a shift then, I don't think Poch will tolerate him walking around the pitch for 90 mins.
There is no way he plays under a manager that demands work ethic. He is so lazy of the ball, for someone his age, its a shame really.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
There is no way he plays under a manager that demands work ethic. He is so lazy of the ball, for someone his age, its a shame really.
I dont think so. Believe Ole was instructing him to stay up to exploit any counter attacks, with his pace. Personally think he is very hardworking and much better than Sancho ,Mason and Martial.

JPRouve

Scout
Come on man, even Ligue 1 fans admit it's just PSG and then the rest.

The quality difference between the rest doesn't matter. It's like putting Man City in the championship. Sure rest of the teams are extremely evenly matched but who cares?
His point was about the league and why teams don't perform in Europe. His point was about the other teams and their level, he somehow shifted to 1st vs 19th.

HailtotheKing

Found that on Reddit from a Utrecht fan about Ten Hag and his time there before he joined Ajax. Thought it was an interesting read and also adds to my appreciation for him:

Seems like he was right that people will talk about Ten Hag in the future. He also did pretty well at Utrecht in his 2 seasons, played 3-5-2 and 4-4-2 and showed that he isn't one-dimensional in terms of his tactics.

He also was in charge of key decisions there, so all the "He needs that Ajax structure" comments might be wrong. Funnily he was compared to Pep when he was already there. He also proved now that he can make the step up to a title winning team.

For me everything about Ten Hag sounds very very exciting. The fact that he lost several key players like De Ligt, De Jong, Ziyech and van de Beek and just rebuild another strong Ajax side which looks great in Europe is the most impressive factor for me. You always have managers who do well with a golden generation here and there, look at Jardims Monaco with Mbappe, Bernardo Silva, Fabinho or Villas-Boas' Porto, but those couldn't do it again, while Ten Hag has Haller firing on all cylinders in the CL. For me that's a sign of a top manager.

If we could get him we should really go all out on him. Just so much stuff that's very similiar to the likes of Klopp, Tuchel, Nagelsmann before they landed their big jobs.

Pochettino right now wouldn't be bad either to be fair, even if I prefer Ten Hag. I don't think he has done all that well at PSG, but Tuchel struggled there too. I still rate him high, I just think he will be most likely a tier below the elite managers, while I think Ten Hag is one in the making and that's imo more than worth the "risk"
Interesting. Was listening to Talk of the Devils Athletic podcast and Andy Mitten was talking about how people were questioning Erik Ten Hag on the eve of that Real Madrid match and they felt he was going to be fired. How times change. Question is, would he get that time with us if he didn't also have the structure in place for us to succeed? It's one thing saying he was in charge of everything at PSV. But that wouldn't happen here. Too many incompetents with too much power that none of them will release. Totally different animal to PSV or Ajax. Agree though, would love us to go for him. Happy with Poch though if he comes now. Rather not throw away our season when we have such a good squad.

TheReligion

Abusive
No, balanced. You are making the strange mistake of thinking that balance means boring, it's not and he isnt Mourinho. My point isn't a criticism of Pochettino's style.
He's an attacking coach. I'm not sure what the issue is really. You can literally pluck a hundred coaching style articles about him and they will all tell you that.

wolvored

The larger point was that OGS had a tremendous opening run.

Poch got sacked by Tottenham. Do we want Tottenhams scraps?
Ole had a good run as interim because he hadnt got to worry about the results so went virtually gung-ho. As soon as he got the job he shit the bed and changed the playing style and you could see the difference.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
I dont think so. Believe Ole was instructing him to stay up to exploit any counter attacks, with his pace. Personally think he is very hardworking and much better than Sancho ,Mason and Martial.
Think people might end up surprised with Greenwood also. He always seem to me like he doesn't know where to run as opposed to not wanting to run.

HailtotheKing

The issue is that he doesn't find a tune of the rest, the big players are the ones saving him. And as far as I can remember the owners have never imposed an off form player to anyone, it would be a first since 2012. They didn't even impose Ben Arfa who was known to be a dream of the owners.
Interesting. It's a little terrifying hearing PSG fans say the same things about Poch as Ole. Not playing out from the back, not beating the press, no style, slow on subs, baffling formations etc. But PSG is still very different from the control he'd have at United. I would definitely hope and expect different. But it's great getting your perspective as I don't watch PSG at all.

JPRouve

Scout
He's an attacking coach. I'm not sure what the issue is really. You can literally pluck a hundred coaching style articles about him and they will all tell you that.
You do what you want but I will give him the credit for his attention to defense and the balance of his teams.

cjj

Supports
Spurs

Pochettino for his managerial methods which helped transform Tottenham and take them to the Champions League final in 2019
Which is great, if you ignore the form in all the other games, and the fact that getting to the CL final was, pragmatically speaking, a combination of individual brilliance, luck, and partly, Llorente's arse. There weren't many (if any) games on that run that were that great to watch, and we turned up to a final with Pochettino having already ruined the squad morale. 2016/2017 was the peak season tbh.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
I strongly didn't want Moyes and Ole and from day one i knew that they are mistakes.
On other hand LVG and Jose were my no1 options and i was over the moon when we hired them.
Now, for the first time i don't worry about manager. Heart wants Poch, brain wants Ten Hag. I don't mind having Zidane too.
So all good this time.

feck, just realised that Rodgers is option too.
Double feck, it is our board. Carrick is option too, isn't he?

Laurencio

Sancho will be one of best players under Poch or Ten Hag. It's not his fault he's been used incorrectly by our coaching staff.

Withnail

Doesn’t Poch do double training sessions? Think the weak will definitely be weeded out.
I think this is all a little over-blown.

Whatever manager comes in the players will do what they're told. If his plan involves making runs (on or off the ball) or tracking back in a specific way then that's what they'll do. You may have one or two that can't cut it and they'll be moved on but this idea that our young forwards are all lazy and/or can't press is a bit silly.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Interesting. It's a little terrifying hearing PSG fans say the same things about Poch as Ole. Not playing out from the back, not beating the press, no style, slow on subs, baffling formations etc. But PSG is still very different from the control he'd have at United. I would definitely hope and expect different. But it's great getting your perspective as I don't watch PSG at all.
The problem is the front three for PSG doing what ever they want. Tuchel had the same problems.

Idxomer

Early? He has had 22 league games last season and they didn't add a lot of new players. This kind of nonsense may apply to United but it doesn't work in the rest of the world. Just take Galtier at Nice, they play his style and he turned them into the best defense in the league which is exactly what he does everywhere, he joined them this summer.
PSG conceded 3 more goals than Nice, 0.3 is the difference in xGA between the two teams.

At least you agree with the 2nd point :p

Status
Not open for further replies.